Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

TeaJay posted:

I'm currently stuck at Dairon and can't find my way through the EMMI zone, both ways to Control unit seem to be closed for me. Am I supposed to take the shuttle to the next area and find progress there?

Yeah, you won't be clearing areas before moving on to the next. You'll bounce in and out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
i have the prime trilogy on wii but can't actually play them because they don't support GCN controls and my wiimotes are perpetually on the fritz

one day, i will get a wii u and a reliable remote, and actually play them

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
If you have a computer that can run Dolphin, USB Wii bars are super cheap

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Bruceski posted:

That makes me feel a bit better about 40mins after beating the first boss on my "quick" attempt. I'm tempted to look up some benchmarks so I know if I'm at least on track for a 4-hour clear.

Yeah, I just started a 2nd playthrough and was shocked to see I was already at 1:05 by Varia Suit without really getting lost or slowed down at all - skipped cutscenes help explain it a little bit. Is sub-4 possible without sequence breaking if you just execute well?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Augus posted:

that was a mistranslation iirc, what he said was that the Prime games were their own self-contained story with a different tone and style from the rest of the franchise. in fact he explicitly said he does consider them canon.

Okay that's cool, happy to stand corrected

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I hear fans arent too hot on Prime 2 because it has few checkpoints and a muddled dual-world system?

It's one of those classic 'sequels for experienced fans of the original who want a bigger challenge' that they don't really make anymore. It doesn't have the insanely good flow and interlocking world design of Prime, but it does have more complex combat and level design and an insanely cool aesthetic that gets progressively more outlandish and badass as you get through the game. The only real mark against it is that the path forward can get lost in the complexity of the world, when you're juggling two worlds with limits points of traversal between the two it does become quite easy to get lost or overlook the next interactable object you first saw an hour ago in the other world

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ROJO posted:

Is sub-4 possible without sequence breaking if you just execute well?

It absolutely is.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Lots of Prime 2 is really good but the beam system is weird and a step down imo, plus you don't get the last beam until the very end of the game when there's not a lot to use it on. I still like Prime 1 better overall but I think Sky Sanctuary is way cooler than anything in Prime 1.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

RBA Starblade posted:

gently caress the spider ball fight

No. That one loving rules.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
stuck again after getting space jump. i keep thinking the game wants me to go into cold areas early but clearly that’s not the case. just can’t figure out anything else to do. also JUST GIVE ME GRAVITY SUIT COME ON

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I haven't played Prime 2 in a while, but I feel it's probably better than I originally thought when playing.

Still think Prime 3 is the lowest point of the three games though.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, I'm not too hot on Prime 3. I didn't exactly have the most comfortable setup for it, but I also really didn't care for the stuff with all the npcs and characters at the start of the game. It just made me think of the start of Halo 2 with Master Chief having the homecoming on Cairo station. Eventually you get back to that isolation, but it felt weird for those early parts.

Pirate Homeworld was a cool locale.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
I have always enjoyed Prime 2 and am glad that opinion has turned on it over the years. It oozes atmosphere like few games do, has some of the most interesting mechanics of the trilogy, and really feels like exploring an unknown alien world.

Ciaphas posted:

i'm trying to think of another metroid game - hell, maybe even another metroidvania (save hollow knight) - with bosses as good as in Dread and coming up mostly empty

It depends what you mean by "good" since the bosses in Dread are all very different from other Metroid games because of the new systems involved. There's nothing bad about most of the bosses from Super onward, they're just more basic because the movesets are more limited and the screen space/camera options don't exist. As for games like Metroid with good bosses I will forever shill Environmental Station Alpha which does a great job integrating ability usage into the fights. And there are plenty of good metroidvanias that skew more towards CV gameplay with excellent bosses besides Hollow Knight.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

If you have a computer that can run Dolphin, USB Wii bars are super cheap

Or run them in PrimeHack, a custom fork of Dolphin that adds traditional FPS controls with keyboard and mouse.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

On my second playthrough and I am spending WAY too much time in elevators and teleporters and whatever, not enough to do in between when you know where you're going. Also, knowing just how powerful the storm missiles are and how to use them just trivializes practically everything, just cleared the second double-warrior battle almost unscathed.

Emmis continue to suck, especially Yellow and Blue.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

a.p. dent posted:

stuck again after getting space jump. i keep thinking the game wants me to go into cold areas early but clearly that’s not the case. just can’t figure out anything else to do. also JUST GIVE ME GRAVITY SUIT COME ON

If you're looking for a hint, I'll quote what I said a day or two ago - seems to be a common place to get stuck (it got me)

ROJO posted:

As a soft hint Remember that the Space Jump allows you to travel horizontally under-water indefinitely - you can use this to access a new door

More direct The path forward is in Burenia

Real direct Go to Burenia, in the large underwater area at the bottom left of the map. There should be a plasma door showing up on your map, halfway up the water on the left hand side, but isn't exactly connected to the map due to a drop down platform blocking it. Start on the right hand side of the underwater area, and chain spacejumps to the left across the shaft and access the door, after dropping the blocking platform by hanging off it

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Prime 3 has some neat stuff, I like Bryyo a lot and wish there was more to the cold side than just a couple of rooms, and I like how there's a lot of cool lore about the science vs magic war the lizard people there had. I also think that the GFS Valhalla is a top notch horror style location (even if it's not actually like, particularly scary, but that has more to do with Samus being incredibly strong, the atmosphere itself is fantastic).

That said Prime 3 is definitely the "worst" of the trilogy.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Prime 2 is definitely the game I’ve attempted from a clean slate the most, and never beat it. Probably 5 times. I dunno, I get stuck somewhere, and then I’m completely lost. Then some important life event happens and I forget about it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

To get Samus Returns on a later system they'd just have to incorporate the UI into the one screen, and assign the weapon-switch function to a button.

How much would Prime 3 have to be changed to get rid of all the dated wii-waggle features?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
https://twitter.com/ArtisanoArt/status/1447792087571779592

edit: wow I got beaten badly

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

ROJO posted:

If you're looking for a hint, I'll quote what I said a day or two ago - seems to be a common place to get stuck (it got me)

thank you!

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Me being spotted by an EMMI: “Okay, just kill me!” *looks at phone while waiting for Samus to be violently stabbed to death*

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

I hear fans arent too hot on Prime 2 because it has few checkpoints and a muddled dual-world system?

old school metroid heads hate prime 2 because when it came out it was the first metroid game to have bottomless pits and remains the only metroid game to have beam ammo

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm more curious then ever to see what Prime 4 might be.

Like, I guess Prime 3 and the Prime Trilogy variants of 1 & 2 are effectively dual stick FPS under the hood - but I feel like Prime 4 could maybe be a bit more responsive and demanding since they now can dedicate a stick to movement and a stick to camera, or use gyro aiming.

Playing Prime 1 with the Primehack, it almost feels clunky after playing Dread. Like, not badly so, but I find myself wishing I could be sliding around, and just getting around quicker in general. I wonder if they'll take a page out of the many other FPS games with slide/wall-running/etc. and make Prime 4 a bit more dynamic in it's movement?

Like, I almost see something like speed booster, shinespark, or at least phase dash being possible in first person at this point.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Good Sphere posted:

Me being spotted by an EMMI: “Okay, just kill me!” *looks at phone while waiting for Samus to be violently stabbed to death*

i felt like this for a bit but it rules when you nail the counter and escape

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Ciaphas posted:

Really? I’ve only done that once. I should try to figure it out.

But I think this game than any other instills me with fear more than any other game I’ve played. The EMMI bits are thankfully forgiving since it is lets you start outside an EMMI entrance if you die.. But seriously, I’ve had so many close calls to either surviving or dying, that it has probably done permanent damage to my heart and blood pressure, as well as given me some kind of PTSD. I try to give myself a good break after my body starts shaking after an attempt.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

There's been times I've escaped but didn't know where to go, or just flub my movement so hard, I just completely waste it.

So most of the time I just embrace helplessness since I know I'm not getting the counter anyways.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

ive never managed to time the counter right

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

they heavily randomize the counter frame(s?) during the animation so it's more or less luck anyway, I think I've hit maybe one in eight counters

(e) i'm reasonably sure the 2nd, final counter opportunity is literally a single frame, i've hit it all of once

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I did see a video online of someone straight up trolling an EMMI and countering it multiple times after Samus was caught. So there must be a way to do it consistently.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

the big Enlightenment for me regarding EMMIs that turned them from frustrating to actually kinda fun was just going, instead of moving carefully or mucking about with the cloak*. this made me notice a few things

- when i got busted, I lost 30 seconds or less retrying - often a lot less, many EMMI zone door-to-door sections are tiny. made it less stressful on the whole to reflect on how little that <30 seconds matters
- the areas, especially the early ones, don't have a ton of dead ends; in fact they're mostly purpose-built AI Juke Loops for you to gain a lead on your extremely-as-the-crow-flies pursuer
- even if you do get backed into all but the smallest corners you can flash shift over or sometimes even just jump em and run the other way anyway. they don't react to you that fast, surprisingly

* 'cept one or two, you know which ones, the fuckres

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 13, 2021

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm stuck don't know where to progress next. I just got the speed boost and I was exploring zone 1 but I completely forget where to go to next. The latest power ups I got were speed boost and flash shift. I beat the lava boss but I don't think I could get to it's corpse.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

multijoe posted:

Okay that's cool, happy to stand corrected

It's one of those classic 'sequels for experienced fans of the original who want a bigger challenge' that they don't really make anymore. It doesn't have the insanely good flow and interlocking world design of Prime, but it does have more complex combat and level design and an insanely cool aesthetic that gets progressively more outlandish and badass as you get through the game. The only real mark against it is that the path forward can get lost in the complexity of the world, when you're juggling two worlds with limits points of traversal between the two it does become quite easy to get lost or overlook the next interactable object you first saw an hour ago in the other world

My issue with Prime 2 is that I HATE being poisoned in games psychologically so any forced area where I'm getting drained or whatever, I want to be in as little as possible. I couldn't even really get through the game due to having to rough through that through so much of the game. Finished Prime 1 and 3 fine, though.

Took a day break, came back, beat Kraid by just taking things slowly and not trying to play like I was speedrunning (which was killing my hands with all of the movements in the fight) and am rolling through, although I did get stuck/lost a few times.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

https://twitter.com/Shinesparkers/status/1447533111408041987

That's great, US shop looks to be the same but I barely understand twitter

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

How does the Metroid Prime trilogy work for controls? I don't super want to be holding that WiiU brick up for 80 hours.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

CuddleCryptid posted:

How does the Metroid Prime trilogy work for controls? I don't super want to be holding that WiiU brick up for 80 hours.

Wiimote and nunchuk.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

They're Wii games that require use of the Wiimote. You don't play them with the Wii U pad in the first place.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Regy Rusty posted:

They're Wii games that require use of the Wiimote. You don't play them with the Wii U pad in the first place.

Oh sweet.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

To get Samus Returns on a later system they'd just have to incorporate the UI into the one screen, and assign the weapon-switch function to a button.

How much would Prime 3 have to be changed to get rid of all the dated wii-waggle features?
Why would they, joycons can waggle as well

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Barreft posted:

https://twitter.com/Shinesparkers/status/1447533111408041987

That's great, US shop looks to be the same but I barely understand twitter

Zero Mission should've been #1 over Fusion. :arghfist:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Blaziken386 posted:

Why would they, joycons can waggle as well

Yeah but who actually uses joycons in 2021? Also that wouldn't work in handheld mode.