Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Thank you for emphasizing my post now you can direct it to the person saying that Memory Lapse took a bullet for Epiphany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Eej posted:

Are we pretending that Memory Lapse is weaker than Epiphany now lol

I would genuinely like to hear the argument for them being on the same power level, if that's what you're asserting.

Beyond that it was just commentary my guy, not an analytical determination.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I don't understand your commentary then because Memory Lapse is a card in a different format for a different audience in a different meta but it is somehow linked with Epiphany not getting a ban?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Oh thank god, get hosed Trickery decks.

Too bad Memory Lapse had to pay for Epiphany's sins but I'll take it.

Now unban Winota you cowards.

Do you really think memory lapse somehow got banned because of Epiphany?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
:vd: Trickery decks and people who play Trickery decks. If you want that kind of gameplay, there's plenty of slot machine simulators out there.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Yawgmoth posted:

:vd: Trickery decks and people who play Trickery decks. If you want that kind of gameplay, there's plenty of slot machine simulators out there.

Whoever made that card should be sacked.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Crackbone posted:

Whoever made that card should be sacked.

It was suppose to be another bad "zany" red card. How were they suppose to know that it would be accidently good?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Nvm

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Sickening posted:

It was suppose to be another bad "zany" red card. How were they suppose to know that it would be accidently good?

In Standard it was only good in Bo1, and every once in a while they make something that absolutely breaks Eternal formats. It's just been that way forever.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Eej posted:

I don't understand your commentary then because Memory Lapse is a card in a different format for a different audience in a different meta but it is somehow linked with Epiphany not getting a ban?

they're both time walks~~

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
nothing about tibalt's trickery was an accident, they do slot machine red cards decently often (see chaos warp and lukka). they didn't even make it good; trickery decks were at sub-45% winrates because of how often they'd fizzle

throes of chaos is what finally actually made the deck successful by letting you drop all the cards that would make the combo fizzle, but it also made it more vulnerable seeing as now you had to wait until turn 4 for the combo instead of turn 2

still, glad to see it go

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Crackbone posted:

Do you really think memory lapse somehow got banned because of Epiphany?

No it was a bad joke about one blue card getting banned for reasons that had nothing to do with a completely different blue card (that should also be banned for unrelated yet valid reasons). I didn't think it would cause any consternation.

Genuinely still want to hear Eej's rationale for how those cards are somehow comparable in power level though.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Memory Lapse is leaps and bounds better than Epiphany, I have no idea how you interpreted my posts as saying they're in the same ballpark of power.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
whats everyone's favorite art for memory lapse? i have a soft spot for both original homelands arts but i think the mirage art is my fav

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The only correct answer

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

A big flaming stink posted:

found a pretty good analysis just from a quick twitter search

https://twitter.com/TolarianCollege/status/1446593546866212864

Hey I know those guys

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

kalvanoo posted:

whats everyone's favorite art for memory lapse? i have a soft spot for both original homelands arts but i think the mirage art is my fav
I like the homelands one with the white tiles missing from the dude's head, but the flavor text of the other one, despite being the quote from a red character, feels most fitting for players who cast the card.

I went back and looked to see what people's opinions were when Lapse got spoiled and while I made a comment on it:

BioThermo posted:

Does anyone think Memory Lapse would have legs in Blue Tempo? It got overshadowed back in the day by counterspell proper and mana leak, but it's a fairly strong tempo play and it's never actually been in Modern. Losing your play and your next draw seems pretty harsh for board development these days.
that was also the day that faithless looting got spoiled and art discourse kinda overwhelmed the 4th most busted (I'm counting tainted pact here even if oracle died for its sins) archive reprint. didn't help that brainstorm had also been spoiled the day before.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I don’t think I even realized it was a Mystical Archive card until a podcast I was listening to brought it up and said it would be good. Even after people told me it was good I didn’t expect it to be quite so strong tbh. It’s crazy how much better the U and R Archive cards ended up being lol.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

kalvanoo posted:

You are correct that the guay mirage art is the best and I’m here to support it

ChromiumCrush
Sep 6, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

found a pretty good analysis jus awt from a quick twitter search

https://twitter.com/TolarianCollege/status/1446593546866212864

To say the Judge promos are anything but literal payment for being a judge is idiotic. Also, both Rudy and FnB know exactly what they're doing. In the last 100 years there's been 1 TCG that has broken into longevity without some kind of pop culture presence preceding or rising alongside it. FnB knows it will be dead soon and so they're miliking it to the extreme as quick possible.

Everyone buying limited boxes to sit on here are just as dumb as those buying Rudy's promo card.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

fadam posted:

I don’t think I even realized it was a Mystical Archive card until a podcast I was listening to brought it up and said it would be good. Even after people told me it was good I didn’t expect it to be quite so strong tbh. It’s crazy how much better the U and R Archive cards ended up being lol.

All the mystical archive cards were instants/sorceries, there's just much fewer flashy ones in the other colors

memory lapse is a broken card compared to the power level of historic and i was saying it would probably need to be banned as well when people were complaining about brainstorm. it lets you start playing draw-go on a very early turn, and is often a 2-for-1 when you use it on a card that won't be a strong play on the next turn. having your aggro two drop countered by it is such a blowout

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

ChromiumCrush posted:

To say the Judge promos are anything but literal payment for being a judge is idiotic. Also, both Rudy and FnB know exactly what they're doing. In the last 100 years there's been 1 TCG that has broken into longevity without some kind of pop culture presence preceding or rising alongside it. FnB knows it will be dead soon and so they're miliking it to the extreme as quick possible.

Everyone buying limited boxes to sit on here are just as dumb as those buying Rudy's promo card.

They (i.e. the 3rd party that wotc sells the promos to originally) charge $100 / set now for the promos. I dunno how JA manages membership or if like anyone can buy a set.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

little munchkin posted:

All the mystical archive cards were instants/sorceries, there's just much fewer flashy ones in the other colors

memory lapse is a broken card compared to the power level of historic and i was saying it would probably need to be banned as well when people were complaining about brainstorm. it lets you start playing draw-go on a very early turn, and is often a 2-for-1 when you use it on a card that won't be a strong play on the next turn. having your aggro two drop countered by it is such a blowout

Legit feels like you just can't win if you mulliganed and get your Thalia or whatever lapsed. It's a huge (but not only) reason why most creature decks are really struggling right now imo.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

They (i.e. the 3rd party that wotc sells the promos to originally) charge $100 / set now for the promos. I dunno how JA manages membership or if like anyone can buy a set.

Didn't JA turn out to be like 100 a year or something obscene?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

HootTheOwl posted:

Didn't JA turn out to be like 100 a year or something obscene?

I'm about to buy in bc I'm a level 0 by virtue of working at an LGS and I like money so I will let you know but the last I heard it's $130 for the shiny prizes in addition to the unwarranted knighting over the airwaves

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

On the topic of grifters and grifting, the judges academy is still a thing?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Sickening posted:

On the topic of grifters and grifting, the judges academy is still a thing?

Need to have someone stay up to date on all the digital errata.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Reading through this now and it seems like there's an emphasis on space being some big difference, but I haven't gotten to the part where they discuss other IPs, so I don't know if they agree with me that it's a much bigger difference than just magic becoming a little more Spelljammer.

https://www.ign.com/articles/as-magic-the-gathering-grows-fans-dont-know-what-its-future-holds

e: leaving my stuff intact, but geez this article goes into so much. I don't see anyone really getting into the biggest issue I have with magic, that cards are getting so complex and have so much text on them. Ragavan is the poster child, but at least it's mostly a triggered ability I guess.

Chakan fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 14, 2021

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The speculation/pricing aspect of F&B is really discouraging to an outsider, even as someone who has spent oodles of money on Magic cards. From decks I've priced it's basically like buying into a Modern deck straight out of the gate.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ive been going to stores to play magic for months now and still have literally never seen anyone play flesh and blood. People are playing tons of other non-magic games all the time.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Chakan posted:

Reading through this now and it seems like there's an emphasis on space being some big difference, but I haven't gotten to the part where they discuss other IPs, so I don't know if they agree with me that it's a much bigger difference than just magic becoming a little more Spelljammer.

https://www.ign.com/articles/as-magic-the-gathering-grows-fans-dont-know-what-its-future-holds

For the first part at least, Maro has said about as directly as he's ever said anything concerning future topics that NeoKamigawa won't be high technology. UB is a whole different story.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
The pearl clutching over the recent assault on Magic's canon always seemed weird to me given how often people seem to complain about the poor quality of the general story. Any successes seem to revolve around specific planes and designs rather than the worldbuilding as a whole

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://youtu.be/sPVWNRZu_Y4

Prof gonna go back to Vegas and play some Magic. And also is angling to have Merfolk win one of the tourneys by flying someone out and putting he/her on his show.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Paul Zuvella posted:

Ive been going to stores to play magic for months now and still have literally never seen anyone play flesh and blood. People are playing tons of other non-magic games all the time.

I fully believe people ARE playing, but mostly competitive spike whales. Magic doesn't need to support itself on competitive grinders basically at all at this point.

Bryan Gottleib had a (frankly hilariously un-self-aware) thread on Flesh and Blood about a month ago on twitter: https://twitter.com/BryanGo/status/1437994112351887360

My favorite bit was: "The game is expensive the same way any luxury hobby is. Patrick Sullivan summed up my stance on this with a brilliant tweet about how dual lands costing $400 is ridiculous. Someone can link it because I’m too lazy. I feel like I’ve gotten my moneys worth for what I’ve spent."

There has to be some rhetorical term for "merely identifying a problem as a problem doesn't make the problem go away," right? Additionally, comparing a TCG that is essentially brand new to most players to buying into MTG Duals is so oblivious.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

dragon enthusiast posted:

The pearl clutching over the recent assault on Magic's canon always seemed weird to me given how often people seem to complain about the poor quality of the general story. Any successes seem to revolve around specific planes and designs rather than the worldbuilding as a whole

Both can be bad on their own. Once upon I time I thought "man, the magic books are always so bad, I wish the story was better" and then a monkey paw curled and we eventually got the magic avengers. I personally don't even mind the magic crossovers they have planned, if the art is cool and the cards are fun, I will play.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Honestly even if Flesh and Blood was more reasonable to get into price-wise I feel like I don't have the patience to learn another TCG at this point. It's also why I probably won't ever learn how to play a TTRPG besides D&D lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I couldn't give less of a poo poo about the actual story of Magic but the lore/art/characters are cool

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

dragon enthusiast posted:

Weatherlight was reputedly terrible, but after that there wasn't much story for the longest time, unless you wanted to go read the books. Except for that period from 97-01 until like, maybe the start of the gatewatch in 2015, most people only knew as much about the 'story' as could be gleaned from the cards, and there wasn't enough on the cards to put it all together. But the flavor was popular with the people playing, and had overarching boundaries ranging from Mirrodin to Lorwyn such that it felt like a diverse multiverse while still being a fundamentally fantasy game. The latest changes go against that constant, which is jarring people who've been involved with the game for a substantial length of time, even if they never cared about the specifics.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Honestly even if Flesh and Blood was more reasonable to get into price-wise I feel like I don't have the patience to learn another TCG at this point. It's also why I probably won't ever learn how to play a TTRPG besides D&D lol

Yeah I feel like comp whale spenders in Magic have one of (IMO) the best environments for Modern in a long time. Why would I want to spend another few thousand on F&B when I barely get to a LGS now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ShaneB posted:

Yeah I feel like comp whale spenders in Magic have one of (IMO) the best environments for Modern in a long time. Why would I want to spend another few thousand on F&B when I barely get to a LGS now?

I'm finally getting back into paper magic and it seems like standard and pioneer are honestly not too bad to buy into a decent deck, and of course it's cheap to do limited once in a while. As whale-y as MTG can be it's honestly pretty reasonable overall