Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Gripweed posted:

But seriously, is anybody in Britain doing anything about the fact that you don't have any nature?

Chris Packham wants to let wolves loose on the royal estates.

(and a bunch of other animals, plus a lot more trees, obviously)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Failed Imagineer posted:

Shut up, Wesley
I listened to the Ready Player one audiobook for a bad book bookclub podcast, guess who was narrating it?
I like the man but he attaches himself to the worst nerd poo poo

happyhippy posted:

As its public domain, you can find a lot of Sherlock Holme old shows on Youtube.
I work on computer at home so can have those in the background.
I got into sherlock holmes because of cumberbatch but Jeremy Brett is the undisputed best tv Sherlock it isn't even close.

Wolfsbane posted:

*tugs braid*

*smoothes skirt*

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

They added beavers to the fens apparently.

But no broadly this is not a large island and it has quite a lot of people living on it and virtually all the land is covered in farms of some description. The UK hasn't had much wild country for a long time, and has spent the last couple thousand years cutting it down, digging it up, pumping it out and paving it over.

Welp. I guess the country just sucks forever then?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I've read a few books that are in a new genre of "climate change apocalypse fiction", and whenever they get to "rewilding" as a solution, it always turns out that future humans think they can recreate "Nature" by just planting some grass and a single tree. I think of that whenever I walk by a "Green".

Read 2312, KSRs rewilding ambitions go much further that that

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gripweed posted:

You have hit upon the general theme of everything this island touches, yes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jollity Farm posted:

Chris Packham wants to let wolves loose on the royal estates.

(and a bunch of other animals, plus a lot more trees, obviously)

That article says that up to half of Britain could be rewilded.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gripweed posted:

That article says that up to half of Britain could be rewilded.

Lots of things could happen but you will note that at absolutely no point did the royals actually say "this sounds like a good idea" and instead went with the entirely tangential "we have always loved conservation" in the face of complaints that they keep large monocultural habitats purely so they can put birds in them and then blow them to smithereens with shotguns every so often.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Gripweed posted:

But seriously, is anybody in Britain doing anything about the fact that you don't have any nature?

If you didn't notice, we kinda started the industrial revolution and it's a small island. We don't have any wilderness or non-managed landscapes in the UK, but I can't say I see that as a drastic problem, with all the problems that involve humans on this island.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
No-one who owns even a decent amount of land in the UK seems very willing to give it up for rewilding.
They came into ownership of the land through capitalism and/or feudalism; and there's no way to let that land be re-wilded that gives them either more money or more power.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The archangel michael could descend from the skies with a golden sword and declare me rightful communist king of england but I think that is slightly more likely to happen than any of the current nonce monarchs doing anything good for anybody.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mr Phillby posted:

I listened to the Ready Player one audiobook for a bad book bookclub podcast, guess who was narrating it?
I like the man but he attaches himself to the worst nerd poo poo

I got into sherlock holmes because of cumberbatch but Jeremy Brett is the undisputed best tv Sherlock it isn't even close.

*smoothes skirt*

Jeremy Brett put his heart and soul into that series and was pretty ill towards the end.

Interesting to read up on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Brett

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Lots of things could happen but you will note that at absolutely no point did the royals actually say "this sounds like a good idea" and instead went with the entirely tangential "we have always loved conservation" in the face of complaints that they keep large monocultural habitats purely so they can put birds in them and then blow them to smithereens with shotguns every so often.

Sure, but you said that you guys can't have any nature because there's no space for it. According to that article, ecologists disagree.

The protesters started by begging the royal family, because they just need to convince one horrid old woman that rewilding some of her estate might distract from the fact that she actively works to protect pedophiles from punishment. But she owns less than 2% of the country, so that's 48% could be rewilded without the permission of the nonce loving bitty.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Sure, but you said that you guys can't have any nature because there's no space for it. According to that article, ecologists disagree.

The protesters started by begging the royal family, because they just need to convince one horrid old woman that rewilding some of her estate might distract from the fact that she actively works to protect pedophiles from punishment. But she owns less than 2% of the country, so that's 48% could be rewilded without the permission of the nonce loving bitty.

I said the UK was covered in farms, which is true, I didn't say it had to be covered in farms I just said it was. The UK's land use is entirely driven by the fact that rich people like to own land and use it to get richer and/or for extremely frivolous purposes, of which the monarchy is but a good example.

As with many things we pioneered the process by which this is achieved and there is very little political will to see it reversed.

About the closest the UK is likely to get to "rewilding" is if all the farmers go bust because they voted to leave the EU and the government won't prop them up any more. But I suspect you're more likely to see agricultural megacorps taking over and somehow managing to achieve the dustbowl on an island where it rains constantly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My garden is pretty rewilded

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Gripweed posted:

Welcome to the UK

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Don't worry, things won't get better here so there'll be plenty of rubbernecking fun to be had indefinitely.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

This Vice article - yeah I know I know - but it's good, it's a very short fiction story about humans trying to fix climate change. It goes in reverse.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/xwvgeq/an-incomplete-timeline-of-what-we-tried

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 13, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really cannot tell whether you are writing these as wind ups or whether they are coming from somewhere "real"

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The gently caress are either of those things?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

I r feeling personally attacked

Apropos of nothing I feel like we need a petition or kickstarter or possibly an armed revolution to make them make new episodes of Rumpole with Matt Berry in the title role. Mortimer did a couple of "Young Rumpole" books after the series ended and I know Radio 4 turned them into plays with Benedict Cumberbatch as Rumpole, but he took it *far* too seriously. You need Berry hamming it up like the fun-sized Brian Blessed he is to do the Penge Bungalow Murders justice, IMO.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

I really cannot tell whether you are writing these as wind ups or whether they are coming from somewhere "real"

They are all real, and mostly harvested from The Express.

I'm crossposting from a facebook group called 'Pointless Letters'.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Brendan Rodgers posted:

This Vice article - yeah I know I know - but it's good, it's a very short story about humans trying to fix climate change. It goes in reverse.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/xwvgeq/an-incomplete-timeline-of-what-we-tried

quote:

The famous fossil fuel CEO is kidnapped, his back branded with the slogan “citizen of the world.”

That sucks so much.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Seems to be a letter to the Daily Mail (printed edition)
(Google led me to a locked link on PressReader)

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Gripweed posted:

That sucks so much.

I think it's a metaphor lol. But yeah it does turn away from it's own point.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Brexshit - the gift that keeps on giving.

Comment on Reddit: Haven't you heard ? "Soylent Teen"...... "it's an aquired taste."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hundreds-schools-told-stockpile-food-25165227

quote:

Hundreds of schools told to stockpile food to make sure children are fed this winter

ISS, who offer hospitality and catering management, has told the 450 schools it cooks meals for that it is having issues with the “sourcing, packing and distribution” of food supplies.

etc

11 energy companies gone bust in the last month.
Also had an email from Unite this evening (I signed up to their switching thing months ago but stayed where I was as my then standard rate was much better than their fixed rate offer and put myself on the list for the next tender). They said if you're on a standard stay on it, if you're on a fixed stay on it and go forward to February to see if things have settled.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 13, 2021

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I think it's a metaphor lol. But yeah it does turn away from it's own point.

Eco-terrorism is a touchy subject, since it hasn't been actualised yet.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Gripweed posted:

New thread title please.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mr Phillby posted:

Definitely.
I used to watch Brett's version when it was first aired as a kid, it was amazing.
I still think him and Moriarty eyeing each other up in silence is one of the best moments in TV ever.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Brexshit - the gift that keeps on giving.

Comment on Reddit: Haven't you heard ? "Soylent Teen"...... "it's an aquired taste."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hundreds-schools-told-stockpile-food-25165227

They predict that by the end of November, schools could have no other option but to serve meals like this

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Gripweed posted:

They predict that by the end of November, schools could have no other option but to serve meals like this

I've seen that pic somewhere recently. Probably some £200 per head meal somewhere.

Oh yeah, some English / Mexican fusion place. Apparently it cost £70!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :faintingincoils:

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Britain has a temperate rainforest climate. We should be surrounded by forests of trees covered in moss, or vast and continually changing wetlands, not the grassy undulating hills and flocks of sheep so beloved by 18th century landscape painters.

I don't know what we can do as individuals. I sponser some wetlands (thanks to this thread) and have a couple of tubs of bee-friendly flowers in the tiny garden that the previous owners concreted over.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Because we left. We will have a proper sundial in the village green and it will have one of those storm glasses that displays neither temperature nor pressure properly but attempts to display some combination of both next to it and it will be graduated in foot-pound-gollywog-farthings so that we know when all the good TV shows like "the shop assistant was played by a poofter, you know, no the other one, him" and "you wouldn't get away with that now days, they wouldn't allow it on the television" are on for the ninetieth time on UK Sausage Identity Box Gold+1. And one of those signs that tells you how many miles away other parts of Britain are like Barton in the Beans and Dublin and Nyasaland, just in case they try getting any closer while we're asleep.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Because we left. We will have a proper sundial in the village green and it will have one of those storm glasses that displays neither temperature nor pressure properly but attempts to display some combination of both next to it and it will be graduated in foot-pound-gollywog-farthings so that we know when all the good TV shows like "the shop assistant was played by a poofter, you know, no the other one, him" and "you wouldn't get away with that now days, they wouldn't allow it on the television" are on for the ninetieth time on UK Sausage Identity Box Gold+1. And one of those signs that tells you how many miles away other parts of Britain are like Barton in the Beans and Dublin and Nyasaland, just in case they try getting any closer while we're asleep.

I thought we would hang a piece of seaweed from our GraTE BrITish CoSte outside and if it got wet it was raining.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Lady Demelza posted:

Britain has a temperate rainforest climate. We should be surrounded by forests of trees covered in moss, or vast and continually changing wetlands, not the grassy undulating hills and flocks of sheep so beloved by 18th century landscape painters.

I don't know what we can do as individuals. I sponser some wetlands (thanks to this thread) and have a couple of tubs of bee-friendly flowers in the tiny garden that the previous owners concreted over.

You can plant seeds or whatever if you want, but it's never really going to be "Nature". There's only one primordial forest left in Europe, Białowieża Forest in Poland, and it's being cut down on a large scale, despite active dissent from the EU and UNESCO, for whatever those organisations are worth.

But yeah, helping the bees is good. Probably gonna be different to "rewilding" though. More like amateur beekeeping.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nothingtoseehere posted:

If you didn't notice, we kinda started the industrial revolution and it's a small island. We don't have any wilderness or non-managed landscapes in the UK, but I can't say I see that as a drastic problem, with all the problems that involve humans on this island.

The majority of the damage was done long before the Industrial Revolution - even by the late Middle Ages construction, shipbuilding, fuel, and charcoal-making had done for something like 70% of our forests and enclosure did for a big chunk of the rest. In fact it was that very deforestation that was a big driving force of the early years of the Industrial Revolution - everything from the switch from timber building construction to stone, to Abraham Darby and the rest of the Shropshire iron founders switching from charcoal to coke for foundries and forges was because we just didn't have trees anywhere that we needed them.

In a weird way the Industrial Revolution is a big reason why we have any forests left at all - because we suddenly realised we could use these otherwise useless black rocks as fuel a massive amount of demand for wood disappeared, and the uses we *did* have for it generally required big, old, trees so what forests were left were carefully managed. There's an interesting documentary about this based around - grimly - the refugee camps on the borders of Rwanda after the genocide there. Although food was generally always available, the lack of fuel meant that the surrounding area lost something like a thousand square miles of forest in a year (including big chunks of protected habitats) - it really brings home just how efficient industrial energy production and distribution can be and how completely reliant we are on it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Brendan Rodgers posted:

A few months ago when I tried the Audible trial, it made me start wondering if I have some kind of auditory processing issue, or something like ADD, based on what I've seen other people describe those things as.

I consider myself "decent at reading", I guess, I'm not smart, or some kind of Shakespeare elitist, but I can read things like House of Leaves or 19th century literature. I love reading books.

But when I was listening to audiobooks during that free month I would really struggle to "see" the scenes in my head, because my brain was struggling to process the audio fast enough. I had to keep rewinding. I tried quite a few genres.

Yeah, just goes in one ear & out the other. And I have no problem following podcasts but audiobooks just don't work for me. I'll just stick to reading things, it's fine.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Oh yeah if you have a "lawn". Stop doing that. Please.

Like, why? Why would you do that? You could just...not. The entire concept comes from toffs showing off how they have land they can afford to utilise in a way that's not just useless, but actively harmful.

Plant some native wildflowers. Let the weeds run wild. Anything except that stupid loving grass. Literally just leave the land to it's own devices and it'll do better than what you're doing to it with your loving lawnmower. gently caress I hate lawns. So much.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut suggested lawn thyme or something a while back, that looks nice to walk on and it flowers too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Oh yeah if you have a "lawn". Stop doing that. Please.

Like, why? Why would you do that? You could just...not. The entire concept comes from toffs showing off how they have land they can afford to utilise in a way that's not just useless, but actively harmful.

Plant some native wildflowers. Let the weeds run wild. Anything except that stupid loving grass. Literally just leave the land to it's own devices and it'll do better than what you're doing to it with your loving lawnmower. gently caress I hate lawns. So much.

A nicely kept lawn looks nice. If you live somewhere you need to water the grass then obviously that's dumb but it's nice in summer being able to just chill on the grass with a book.

Also having short grass makes it easier to see where the neighbourhood cats have shat so you don't accidentally sit/step in it