Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

cool av posted:

google maps 100% fucks with you by sending you on stupid alternate routes just so they can collect more data on how long it takes

This is true to a point. If it's a well worn route enough people have used Google to take (ie drivers of cars on main arteries) it's fine.

Often times when our for long aimless bike rides I'll try popping Google maps into an ear bud to give me the most direct route home and it is often insane.

I live in the inner city which has constant construction and it never accounts for that or for rail crossings that no longer exist or for paths that are closed.

One time I had a job placement 15km away in the hills that had a dedicated bike path all of the way there and on my day off before I started I thought I would map it myself to see how long the commute would be. I tried Google's path out of interest and it
1) sent me through a CBD detour
2) sent me across a pedestrian only bridge on my bike that was easily avoided
3) told me to go down an alley that no longer existed
4) put me on the wrong side of the river at the end.

There were also times when the path would fork and Google said "go left then slide right". Wtf does that mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah learning that word helped me to define why the new development here reminds me of metro Atlanta. It's because it's all stroads.

Oh, so that's why the Tampa suburbs look the way they do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORzNZUeUHAM

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

sat on my keys! posted:

the city created these open streets and then left it up to volunteers to actually run them. all the city did was hand out some flimsy wooden barriers. unsurprisingly the people who have time to set these up and move them back when drivers push them out of the way are people with every advantage in our society already.

Can confirm. When I live in Brooklyn my street was one of the open streets, and the barriers were setup, it stopped through traffic and the people who lived on the street (including me) would move the barriers out of the way, then move them back to go through. In other neighborhoods, the barriers would be pushed to the sidewalk almost immediately after they were put out, thereby completely negating the open street concept. At some point after enough waze users went through the open street, google would remove the "closed street" designation and that was that.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is an excellent video.

Man, imagine if we didn't have so much space between things. Like what if instead of the supermarket there were smaller markets and more of them so you could like, walk 4 minutes to get to them.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Remember the movie Cars. About a society built entirely for the needs of cars.

It was a documentary.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

cool av posted:

google maps 100% fucks with you by sending you on stupid alternate routes just so they can collect more data on how long it takes

all the tech companies do little a/b testing on their users like this and somehow no one seems to care

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
how else are dynamically updated maps supposed to get that info? they use literal cars like their webcrawlers. if nobody with their map open is there they need to send someone there to update it

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I like the OsmAnd app because I can use it for any kind of transportation. It's my go-to for hikes. I wish it had an easier interface though.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

teslas plague the streets and parking lots of everywhere i go these days

it drives me insane

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
speeding tickets are a funny idea

we designed this road fast enough that you can drive a car 250 loving miles per hour but we don't want you to do that so we put up signs

since we didn't appropriately engineer this road to limit speeds, we put up signs to rely on the human brain to keep speeds down. we also installed multiple dudes with guns as a secondary measure.

Dolphin has issued a correction as of 20:17 on Oct 13, 2021

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
It's for revenue generation under the guise of public safety just like everything is these days.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

speeding tickets are for poor people. my friend with a porsche has eight or nine warnings in a row, including two in the same day by the same cop. they had a good laugh together the second time

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

it used to be that you could get robbed by any old independent entrepreneur. now it's just the one conglomerate monopolizing highway robbery

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Dolphin posted:

speeding tickets are a funny idea

we designed this road fast enough that you can drive a car 250 loving miles per hour but we don't want you to do that so we put up signs

since we didn't appropriately engineer this road to limit speeds, we put up signs to rely on the human brain to keep speeds down. we also installed multiple dudes with guns as a secondary measure.

on my way home from work there’s a 6 lane divided highway with a traffic light every ~5 miles that’s 95% a straightaway, no pedestrians

40mph speed limit, recently increased from 35

luckily I work for a big employer in the area and get out of speeding tickets in a few mile radius of the facility so I get to ignore it until I’m on 95, but it makes no sense

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

i say swears online posted:

speeding tickets are for poor people. my friend with a porsche has eight or nine warnings in a row, including two in the same day by the same cop. they had a good laugh together the second time

<drake meme with drake in a cop hat>
no: actually enforcing laws
yes: punishing people i don't like

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
put a 25 km/h engine limiter on everything motorized that's not on rail and isn't emergency services, you can't convince me anyone actually needs to go faster than that, even 'time sensitive' cargo goes around in extremely slow container ships just fine if it's properly planned

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

bagual posted:

put a 25 km/h engine limiter on everything motorized that's not on rail and isn't emergency services, you can't convince me anyone actually needs to go faster than that, even 'time sensitive' cargo goes around in extremely slow container ships just fine if it's properly planned

hmm. no

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
think I'll just let my friendly adorable dog out so she can play outside for a bit..

oh no she got crushed to death by a 2 ton metal box.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

bagual posted:

This doesn't seem to address any societal problems and is an argument based on "need," the most liberal smooth brain possible. Finally it posits that actually our car dependent culture is fine, the problem is that cars can go too fast?

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

It's for revenue generation under the guise of public safety just like everything is these days.

it's also kind of like a medieval catholic indulgence, where those who are able can simply pay their way out of having sinned. you might, of course, say that breaking the speed limit should get your car confiscated, placing you in limbo in our car-bound society, but thankfully you can simply pony up some cash and have your sins removed.

if you can't afford it then you can get stuck in a kind of hellish spiraling debt vortex, but don't worry about that as long as you have the $$$

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://i.imgur.com/rqGZJaC.mp4

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

:swoon:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

see you don't need ebikes. they're just another excuse to build fewer trains.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

i say swears online posted:

this guy gets it, plus if the cops isn’t in on it you just hire the judges wife to litigate it down to a seat belt infraction

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
people always complaining about drunk drivers. motherfucker guess what would happen if there weren't any cars around

they'd just be drunk that's what

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

banning cars immediately solves the drunk driving problem. genius!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

https://twitter.com/sovietvisuals/status/1158402971874615297

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/moveutah/status/1448422177477472259

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

the cowed, submissive posture on the first and last people is a nice touch

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dolphin posted:

people always complaining about drunk drivers. motherfucker guess what would happen if there weren't any cars around

they'd just be drunk that's what

I agree, duis shouldn't be a crime just like biking under the influence shouldn't be a crime (Illinois is correct on this in not making it one)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

banning cars immediately solves the drunk driving problem. genius!

you think I can’t drunk drive a bike?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

forcing my friends to become a JRPG party doing a snaky conga line everywhere I go to interact with objects and people out of deference to cars

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

che loved cycling and could apparently do it endlessly in spite of his asthma

idk that's kinda ableist right?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

you think I can’t drunk drive a bike?

you ride a bike. drunk riding is fine and in fact fun

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

i should start up a commie bike group.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

bagual posted:

Uh my parents live 400km away, taking the train requires 2 transfers and like 10 hours if you don’t time it right. I can drive it in 3 hours.

So, unless you want to volunteer to entertain my kid for 10 hours on/waiting for trains this idea can gently caress right off.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

ugh houston as a pedestrian loving sucked. what mph are stroads usually at?

that's a very good video. my city did something like his recommendation with a boulevard by merging the bike lane into its own space in the middle and adding lots of trees making it more of a street. its still not perfect. we used to have light rail for transportation that connected most of the city but it went bankrupt in the 90s. it was replaced by a busing hub but they're now having huge budget issues.

"highways should also go around cities"

lol, ugh we learned that the hard way...

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 04:44 on Oct 14, 2021

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

kronix posted:

Uh my parents live 400km away, taking the train requires 2 transfers and like 10 hours if you don’t time it right. I can drive it in 3 hours.

So, unless you want to volunteer to entertain my kid for 10 hours on/waiting for trains this idea can gently caress right off.

what if train but faster and with fewer slowdowns because of roads

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

speed freak detected :crossarms:

This doesn't seem to address any societal problems and is an argument based on "need," the most liberal smooth brain possible. Finally it posits that actually our car dependent culture is fine, the problem is that cars can go too fast?

People that steal catalytic converters should be guillotined. If you steal the catalytic converter, THEN torch the car, that's fine, you will be saved from the guillotine, though you may be subject to other consequences.

sorry mister societal issue addresser, i should post more like you so i can fix society, it was a dumb joke about applying EU ebike regulations to cars

but if you wanna call me a liberal go all d&d on this poo poo, is the 25 km/h value the problem? modern cars basically guarantee survival in low speed inter-vehicular collisions bar extreme weight class mismatch and slower vehicles means everyone on the road or it's sides can have more time to react to whatever happens

as for needs i need not to be plastered by some jackass in a high speed car losing control, so does everyone who walks or cycles, and motorists could definitely live going slower, is from each according to his ability to each according to his need really liberalism? not really, collective action is made to sate collective needs, from my perspective reducing traffic mortality is a huge collective need because it's life and death for millions of people and car go fast is a lesser need in comparison, so if reduced mortality can be brought about by mandating safety speed limiters for all cars just like freight trucks already have, why shouldn't we?
it comes down to what speeds are reasonable for what, something we already do with speed signs that in my opinion should be wired into the hardware so it's actually enforced instead of pretend enforced. what X% lesser speed and more time on the road will be equal to Y% less accidents and fatalities is something i don't know because im just a dumb poster, but the expectation of as fast as possible travel at all times to make everything happen just in time with insane expectations from businesses and eventually even the regular drivers makes everything run at breaking point either in jams or speeding to compensate for jams while people are turned into mincemeat by the roadside and inside their steel cages and it all loving disgusts me. we have the fastest travel times in history and its never loving enough, but merely suggesting travel should take longer gets gasps from people who know our fossil fuel death machines cant possibly go on on like this

of course we can just ban all cars instead and no need for any of this bullshit but until we do that i will drone on with idiot jokes about cars maybe going slower, maybe everyone will get so tired of my poo poo theyll consider banning cars and investing in public transport for broke idiots like me

i uh, wrote a lot more than i intended for a one off joke but at this point im just angry at recent events and venting at cars and buses and trucks and anything with a motor ok, im gonna write down my saturday sunday and monday with car culture in here in brazil, exclusively for the car hate thread, in blog screed style

tl;dr im whiny

there's literally no one to complain to in this story that would actually make a difference which is why im shouting it at internet strangers, except maybe the bus company for being dicks only telling me some details wednesday when i was already at the station and making me reschedule this pandemic hell bus ride to a busy weekend, i don't have a car and am too poor for installments maintenance and gas, could maybe share it with SO but we're each with jobs in different states right now and we'd rather pool together for a house first

im only taking a bus during the brazilian pandemic to get the vax btw, my job's state is ruled by chuds and id only be getting fully vaxxed next year, following home state schedule it's second dose next monday, they're only testing symptomatic cases here and im paranoid as hell right now but i figured beats 6 additional months unvaxxed in nosemask central, i shaved my beard and wore an N95 the entire time, but whatever, just clarifying im not some covids over freak going on a joyride

i wished i lived in train land but my life is more like this

rim: bends
me: :) cars

except i couldnt even do that this time, i had to pack the bike in a box and take it to and from the bus station via large cab because the only direct bus from where im at to my podunk hometown now has a lovely little cargo hold that cant even fit that upright and on its side meant it could damage other passengers baggage

i left home early and waited a couple of hours at the station to make sure my stupid box was at least there first when it came time to fit the baggage, then the 14h long bus ride took 4 additional hours due to road traffic, counting the time at the station that was 21 hours "travelling". monday i had a 20km ride from downtown where i reassembled the bike to my neighborhood and it was either shorter industrial zone road with good asphalt but a lot of trucks or longer normal road with several bridges and overpasses without sidewalks so industrial zone it was but it rained and poor drainage meant whole sections are underwater and trucks and cars splashed oily industrial zone gunk all over my eyes and mouth and i passed by a truck/car accident with some probably very loving dead people and it made me wonder how many meters would a truck slide on an oily flooded road if it had to hit the breaks. last section was a road inexplicably built with no shoulder space between two ditches and i booked it with a stupid looking shid strip on my rear end and backpack from all the mud and fertilizer residue as cars swerved in the rain into the other lane even as i tried to ride the thinnest asphalt leftovers overgrown on the sides of the road just to feel like i was not an rear end in a top hat away from getting clipped

:) cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

suck my bone carlover