Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

‘A COVID-positive 31-year-old NSW man who arrived in Tasmania without a valid border pass fled hotel quarantine and was found by police yesterday afternoon at an address in Hobart's northern suburbs, Premier Peter Gutwein says.‘

There goes tasmania I guess

lol nsw sucks so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
March him into Lake Gordon with concrete shoes on

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

The past about News Corp's bizarro climate heel turn

Convicted Racist Andrew Bolt posted:

I know I’ve lost the argument. My whole company’s against me. I know that against these huge players, all the big political parties, my own employer, all the media and big media outlets, what am I? Just someone on the sidelines. Someone just howling on the sidelines, but telling you the truth.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

When even uber-lich Murdoch is against you, you have to wonder just how far off the reservation you've strayed.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Looking forward to the day where some tragedy befalls and auspol poster and when the cop comes to help they spit in their face and blame them for murdering Jordan's personal assistant.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Capt.Whorebags posted:

When even uber-lich Murdoch is against you, you have to wonder just how far off the reservation you've strayed.

Hoping he becomes off the rails enough to start outright attacking Murdoch personally and gets unceremoniously dumped.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Bolt go on InfoWars

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
My memory is that news Corp does a 180 on climate change every federal election season to help stop people thinking about the fact that conservatives are actively trying to commit climate genocide, they’ll be back to normal the second Morrison is announced the landslide winner

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Solemn Sloth posted:

My memory is that news Corp does a 180 on climate change every federal election season to help stop people thinking about the fact that conservatives are actively trying to commit climate genocide, they’ll be back to normal the second Morrison is announced the landslide winner

I reckon they're gonna stick with it, because they can see globally which way the tides are heading. News Corp loves influencing politics, but when they can't get their way they back the winning horse, because when it wins they can try and claim some of the credit and continue to look influential.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

JBP posted:

Looking forward to the day where some tragedy befalls and auspol poster and when the cop comes to help

This is almost exactly the opposite of my lived experience with the police tbh but who am I to question the credentials of famed good poster JBP

to be fair if I didn't want the police to show up and insinuate a violent crime enacted against me by a total stranger was somehow my fault multiple times I probably shouldn't have allowed myself to become the victim of a violent crime.

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 13, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
breitbolt

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They haven't done a 180 on climate change, the plan for net zero they came up with is complete bullshit and stringing out action until 2050 or whenever the gently caress is stupid

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Synthbuttrange posted:

‘A COVID-positive 31-year-old NSW man who arrived in Tasmania without a valid border pass fled hotel quarantine and was found by police yesterday afternoon at an address in Hobart's northern suburbs, Premier Peter Gutwein says.‘

There goes tasmania I guess

It boggles my mind that apparently airports/airlines can't get their acts together enough to actually check if someone has a valid G2G pass before allowing them to board a flight . This is the same thing that happened in Launceston a month or two ago, except the idiot had the decency to stay in the room they stuffed him in overnight before he hopped back on a plane to where he came from.

Speaks volumes for how effective we can expect the "show proof of vaccination for entrance" restrictions to be.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

bowmore posted:

They haven't done a 180 on climate change, the plan for net zero they came up with is complete bullshit and stringing out action until 2050 or whenever the gently caress is stupid

That's what makes the Bolt thing so funny. It's a transparent attempt to look like they're inside with the majority while adding nothing meaningful to the conversation, just further obfuscating the facts and "technologies".

But still Bolt has a whinge about his employer and Morrison.

He's committed to the bit.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Looks like hospitalisation rates for 0-9 (and 10-19) year olds is sitting at about 5%.

That's going to be messy with school having resumed in NSW.

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/covid-19/Documents/covid-19-surveillance-report-20211005.pdf (page 16)

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Ethics_Gradient posted:

It boggles my mind that apparently airports/airlines can't get their acts together enough to actually check if someone has a valid G2G pass before allowing them to board a flight . This is the same thing that happened in Launceston a month or two ago, except the idiot had the decency to stay in the room they stuffed him in overnight before he hopped back on a plane to where he came from.

Speaks volumes for how effective we can expect the "show proof of vaccination for entrance" restrictions to be.

Whatever fine the airlines get is small change for them.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Plus this way they get to sell *two* flights.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

yoloer420 posted:

Looks like hospitalisation rates for 0-9 (and 10-19) year olds is sitting at about 5%.

That's going to be messy with school having resumed in NSW.

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/covid-19/Documents/covid-19-surveillance-report-20211005.pdf (page 16)

Dr Norman Swan's Coronacast today had a fairly decent breakdown that the actual serious hospitalizations are lower than the highlight number and very few children are in any real medical danger

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/coronacast/what-do-zero-covid-states-have-ahead-of-them/13582018

quote:

Norman Swan: It's quite hard sometimes to get the accurate data on the rate of hospitalisation in children because often in children you are hospitalised for social reasons because the virus is travelling in families and there's nobody to look after the child, so they come in for a nice protective environment.

Tegan Taylor: So even though they are not so sick themselves, they are there because they need to be cared for.

Norman Swan: That's right, so the hospitalisation rate in children in New South Wales during the outbreak has been about 2%, but not all of those kids actually needed to be in hospital.

Tegan Taylor: How does that compare to the rate for adults?

Norman Swan: Well, this is a great success story. So when the outbreak started in New South Wales and Victoria, the hospitalisation rate was 11% or 12%, and now it's down at 5% or even lower and the ICU rate has dropped even more proportionately than the hospitalisation rate. So this is a huge success. So, some people say that the true rate of hospitalisation in children is probably more like 1%, so that's about a fifth of that in adults, and it's an even lower risk of them ending up in ICU, and a very, very low risk of dying

quote:

Tegan Taylor: No one wants their kids sick, we want to protect our children, but it does sound like…we keep hearing that the risk for under 12s is very low. It really is significantly lower than the risk that this disease causes to adults.

Norman Swan: Yes, and when I did an interview with an expert in Denmark a week or so ago, they were actually pretty relaxed about the children's situation and really hadn't seen many problems. They did have some children in ICU but not very many, it really wasn't a major problem for them.
Where it has been a problem has been in the United States, in the southern states where you have really had a lot of virus running and you've had a lot of children infected and therefore even though it is rarer, you've had more kids flowing through to the system.
But the sort of level that New South Wales has, which is 400 or 500 cases a day, which is around about Denmark, there's going to be very few children ending up in ICU, although the one caveat in what I am saying here is that even though the numbers in New South Wales are 400 500, increasingly it is in that younger age group, and so you can't be blasé about this, it's not a zero risk, but it's very, very small.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Dr Norman Swan's Coronacast today had a fairly decent breakdown that the actual serious hospitalizations are lower than the highlight number and very few children are in any real medical danger

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/coronacast/what-do-zero-covid-states-have-ahead-of-them/13582018

Awesome, thanks for that. Fingers crossed for a good outcome. It's been legitimately awesome to see the NSW decline. It gives me hope that things will be ok.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

yoloer420 posted:

Awesome, thanks for that. Fingers crossed for a good outcome. It's been legitimately awesome to see the NSW decline. It gives me hope that things will be ok.

The country NSW is most looking like being comparable to is Denmark. 500 odd daily cases, one death day average, 100ish total in hospital, 18 ventilated total, 75+% total population vaccinated. They went internal reopen a month ago and have backed off Intl entry requirements.

I dont know if we can hope for that much better given Covid isnt going away but maaaaaaybe we can with the vacccination rate looking to go better?

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

This is almost exactly the opposite of my lived experience with the police tbh but who am I to question the credentials of famed good poster JBP

It’s almost like some of you forget what what JBP stands for

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

just bad posts?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Animal Friend posted:

The past about News Corp's bizarro climate heel turn

Countdown to Bolt coming out with "Climate Change is real!" article.

Like the time he went to Rome to :airquote:report:airquote: on Pell's testimony and actually remembered he was human long enough to post a tweet about how sickening what he heard was.

Then, a couple hours later, was "Hey, ignore that tweet I made about Pell being an amoral monster, he's actually a really nice guy and, you know, he wasn't legally obliged to tell the police about all those children under his care being raped anyway."

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 13, 2021

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Guess this is what the angle is going to be

https://twitter.com/glenn_rob/status/1448190917832155137

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

The CCP will come to our rescue. Our miners and ports are owned by them, and they won't allow us to develop them. A couple of 10k's to the political party of this choice.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
wtf is going on with the SA Liberals?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Seemlar posted:

Guess this is what the angle is going to be

"Researcher" Chris kenny.

lol

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

dr_rat posted:

"Researcher" Chris kenny.

lol

That's a bit of a howler.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

You laugh but he spent all week at the dog pound researching this story.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

quote:

On 12 October 2021, the TGA, part of the Department of Health, granted a provisional determination to Pfizer Australia Pty Ltd in relation to its Covid-19 Vaccine, Comirnaty.

Currently, Comirnaty is provisionally approved for use in individuals 12 years of age or older. The granting of this determination means that Pfizer is now eligible to apply to vary the provisional approval for the vaccine to include children aged 5 to 11 years.

This provisional determination is the first step in the process and does not mean that an application for variation has been made by the sponsor – or that any such variation will be provisionally approved by the TGA.

In making its decision to grant Pfizer a provisional determination for use in individuals 5 to 11 years, the TGA considered eligibility criteria, including factors such as the evidence of a plan to submit comprehensive clinical data in relation to use in this age group – and the seriousness of the current Covid-19 pandemic.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...f086e16893842c4

A step closer.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

Wtf is the AWU guy talking about? Worry about ya fuckin workers and not China champ.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Victoria is about a week away from hitting 70% double dosed and just recorded almost 2300 new cases in 24 hours, I hope there's a plan B.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 14, 2021

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
A debate about nuclear power as a climate change response is not completely ridiculous. This very forum has a thread on that topic. (Spoiler alert: half the posts are screaming that nuclear power is the only option and the other half are screaming that renewables are the only option.)

The one that makes me really suspicious about anyone's authenticity on climate change is hydrogen. It just looks so suspiciously like an opportunity to keep pumping methane (split into hydrogen) or digging up coal (gasified into hydrogen) while we swap to green hydrogen any day now, honest. It's the carbon capture and storage boondoggle for the 2020s.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting for a second that News are genuine in their Road to Damascus. They are not. It's just that we'll know for sure that they're lying when they start pushing "green hydrogen" (with blue/brown hydrogen for just a little while longer).

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Beffer posted:

A debate about nuclear power as a climate change response is not completely ridiculous. This very forum has a thread on that topic. (Spoiler alert: half the posts are screaming that nuclear power is the only option and the other half are screaming that renewables are the only option.)

The one that makes me really suspicious about anyone's authenticity on climate change is hydrogen. It just looks so suspiciously like an opportunity to keep pumping methane (split into hydrogen) or digging up coal (gasified into hydrogen) while we swap to green hydrogen any day now, honest. It's the carbon capture and storage boondoggle for the 2020s.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting for a second that News are genuine in their Road to Damascus. They are not. It's just that we'll know for sure that they're lying when they start pushing "green hydrogen" (with blue/brown hydrogen for just a little while longer).

The problem with nuclear is the ramp up time, where the wait for reactors and skills is going to be long, which doesn't exist for renewables. We can build the renewables right now and transition, we cannot do that with nuclear plants.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
This seems to be what a lot of mining/petrochemical companies are doing, and it seems like some of it won't be much better then "carbon capture" stuff.

Nuclear should be consider in some circumstances but in Australia it just doesn't seem to make much sense. There are definitely places around the world that aren't rolling in renewable options where it could possibly be the best option. Murdoch press just seems to love it as they have a hate of anything "leftish" and very little of the arguing for it seems to be done in good faith.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

when the cop comes to help

:confused:

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Lolie posted:

Victoria is about a week away from hitting 70%double dosed and just recorded almost 2300 new cases in 24 hours, I hope there's a plan B.

There isn't one, nor should there be one. We are on track to reach 90%+ vaccination rates and as we've shown before, eradicating Delta is simply not possible under the circumstances. Melbourne will not tolerate another lockdown. We're in the two weeks right now when Burnett modelling indicated we could see as many as 2900 cases a day. So we're not even at our modelled peak yet.

Previously Dandrews has said he may delay certain things opening if hospitals are not coping.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

Lolie posted:

Victoria is about a week away from hitting 70%double dosed and just recorded almost 2300 new cases in 24 hours, I hope there's a plan B.

I'm not quite sure if a Plan B would even work. I don't think Melbourne will put up with any more restrictions without significant backlash. They've already had to move goalposts with the lockdown failing to bring down cases, and hitting the necessary vaccination rates only to be told 'actually cases got too high so we're pushing back the reopening to December' will further damage people's faith in these restrictions.

It's also been disheartening to see only Tier 1 sites getting into the public record. Really does suggest that half of this city is an exposure site, and I don't know why they're not bothering to report it.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

hooman posted:

The problem with nuclear is the ramp up time, where the wait for reactors and skills is going to be long, which doesn't exist for renewables. We can build the renewables right now and transition, we cannot do that with nuclear plants.
If you asked me 15 years ago should Australia get nuclear power I would say yes. But renewable energy is so good now and continually improving I don't see the point in a place like Australia with a low population and lack of energy intensive industries make it a viable option. So nuclear is a non-starter for myself in Australia for that reason alone.

I think your argument can be turned on its head. Why not invest in the future of power generation? We might build our first reactor in a generation's time but it will give our country more options for power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Sierra Madre posted:

I'm not quite sure if a Plan B would even work. I don't think Melbourne will put up with any more restrictions without significant backlash. They've already had to move goalposts with the lockdown failing to bring down cases, and hitting the necessary vaccination rates only to be told 'actually cases got too high so we're pushing back the reopening to December' will further damage people's faith in these restrictions.

It's also been disheartening to see only Tier 1 sites getting into the public record. Really does suggest that half of this city is an exposure site, and I don't know why they're not bothering to report it.

Unless you think reporting huge lists of tier 2 sites would scare people into supporting more restrictions (reasonable in theory, but I doubt it), surely your first paragraph answers the second? There's too many sites to check for this info to be useful for individuals to make decisions about isolating themselves and there's no point reporting them if it's not going to inform decisions on changing restrictions.