Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Have 6 kingdoms and five sons. SIicily, Romagna, Africa, Croatia, Serbia and Krete. Trying to divide things as eqaully as possible before disinherting the younger ones. Gave out Africa, Krete, Croatia and Serbia.

The border gore is atrocious. Why doesn't it grant all the dejure vassals to the new kings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

bees everywhere posted:

HoI4 on console would be a nightmare

I would just use the front ai

poo poo help my divisions are dying

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Have 6 kingdoms and five sons. SIicily, Romagna, Africa, Croatia, Serbia and Krete. Trying to divide things as eqaully as possible before disinherting the younger ones. Gave out Africa, Krete, Croatia and Serbia.

The border gore is atrocious. Why doesn't it grant all the dejure vassals to the new kings?

It will try to apportion out the vassals if it can, do those vassals hold land or have sub-vassals in another Kingdom though? That trips them up.

Also if you have 6 kingdoms and 5 sons why disinherit at all? You're just wasting renown. Just let the partition split them up.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Has Imperator been patched into being tolerable for someone looking for CK2 in togas? (Or CK3 in togas with more content, I guess.)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It rules now, but it's not really CK. The characters are mainly a bother than a key feature.

It's closer to EU4 with pops and a very annoying character system.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Steely Dad posted:

Has Imperator been patched into being tolerable for someone looking for CK2 in togas? (Or CK3 in togas with more content, I guess.)

For Crusader Kings? No, the character system isn't as fleshed out as those games and characters don't seem to have as distinct personalities. I kind of like the character interactions myself, but you're definitely not "roleplaying" as your country leader either.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

However CK with togas would be awesome and it's a shame it doesn't exist!

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
I found it was a very cut down EU4 in togas more than anything else, though I haven't played a ton of it.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Imperator: Rome lives up to it's ancestor EU: Rome.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Steely Dad posted:

it got patched to the point it shoulda been at on release anyway. so if you wanna play a release-quality paradox game, give it a shot. otherwise, hard pass. they're done supporting it moving forward

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
There are some modders putting together an HPM style mod for Imperator so I would recommend checking it out when they finally come out with that

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

It will try to apportion out the vassals if it can, do those vassals hold land or have sub-vassals in another Kingdom though? That trips them up.

Also if you have 6 kingdoms and 5 sons why disinherit at all? You're just wasting renown. Just let the partition split them up.
Some of them do, but not all of them.

I want to keep Sicily and Romagna. But it's giving Romagna and some of my counties in Sicily to random kids.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Land your player heir in Romagna and Sicily (or land the other children in their respective kingdoms) and the game should sort it out.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Land your player heir in Romagna and Sicily (or land the other children in their respective kingdoms) and the game should sort it out.
I landed all the other kids as kings. It still was giving out Sicilian counties and the Kingdom of Romagna to different kids.

It's pretty annoying.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

AnEdgelord posted:

There are some modders putting together an HPM style mod for Imperator so I would recommend checking it out when they finally come out with that

There's a release of Invictus out already, doesn't have much content yet though.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

There's a release of Invictus out already, doesn't have much content yet though.

Good to hear that they have a release finally but im probably gonna wait until they have it much more fleshes out.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

I landed all the other kids as kings. It still was giving out Sicilian counties and the Kingdom of Romagna to different kids.

It's pretty annoying.

Yeah if they become independent it bugs everything up, and it is extremely annoying. You have to hold onto the top level titles until you die.

E: VVVV yeah the independent of you is the crucial part. It's very silly.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Oct 5, 2021

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah if they become independent it bugs everything up, and it is extremely annoying. You have to hold onto the top level titles until you die.

They're not independent, though they are independent of me. We're all despots of the Byzantine Emperor.

I decided to a do a restore the Empire run while never actually being emperor, since otherwise it would be no challenge

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-10-12-paradox-the-subject-of-additional-reports-of-discrimination

quote:

"I have been to meetings where I'm the only woman in the room," one woman told Eurogamer, "and I say 'Hey, I really think we should go this direction, based on my experience', and someone looks at me, and they say, 'You know what, you're just here as a token hire. So I think you should be quiet about this.'"

:yikes:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Starting to make sense how Paradox has such a long history of launching into extremely ill-judged partnerships that end in disaster.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Oh that is really gross and bad. Paradox Goons: Have you witnessed anything like this in your meetings and teams? Do you have women employees in your team? What do you do to include their input?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't think any of them is going to respond, partially because the last time one of them even hinted at something being wrong (different issue) the paradox goon who seem to have a high management position very quickly made a thinly veiled threat post to make them shut up.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Poil posted:

I don't think any of them is going to respond, partially because the last time one of them even hinted at something being wrong (different issue) the paradox goon who seem to have a high management position very quickly made a thinly veiled threat post to make them shut up.

Quote the posts :colbert:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Quote the posts :colbert:

Might be a reference to this:

Darkrenown posted:

You can be fired for being publically "disloyal" so no one would in the hypothetical scenario that they agreed.

pdxjohan posted:

One of the few ways that its actually valid to fire someone, according to swedish law.

For the record. I’m a member of the Union.

But I don't think we have that many Paradox devs left posting. There's Johan himself, very occasionally Wiz, Lord Mune and Archangel? DR left, Groogy hasn't posted in forever. I guess four isn't nothing. Did podcat post here at some point?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yes, that's the ones. Huh. My memory was not as good as I thought.

If there is an actual investigation they probably won't say anything regardless.

Poil fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 14, 2021

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Some of the things I remember hearing about back in the day definitely made it seem like a bit of a boy's club. But it's a big company, the goon devs may or may not have been close enough to any of these situations themselves to say anything. And it'd be real risky to do so either way. It's not a very good look for sure.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Aw, why?

quote:

Did podcat post here at some point?

Yes, I distinctly remember his avatar

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Left Paradox, I mean. I think he works on Old World now.

I don’t know if he’s ever explicitly laid our what went down but he was clearly Not Happy working there.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I thought I saw Ofaloaf post in a PDS thread somewhere kinda recently.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if the employment laws in Spain are better or worse.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Is anyone seriously wondering why most paradox employees no longer post here? Have you seen the way a lot of the goons here talk to and about them?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Are the allegations against the dev studio specifically or the whole company?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Are the allegations against the dev studio specifically or the whole company?
The publisher/whole company.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Is anyone seriously wondering why most paradox employees no longer post here? Have you seen the way a lot of the goons here talk to and about them?

Paradox is a serious big boy company with stock prices and shareholder meetings and an HR department and sexual harassment scandals now. Sure the thread has a few favorites to pick on but I think it's honestly more a product of PDX blowing up and hiring enough lawyers to get you fired for saying anything that isn't on the list of marketing dept. approved vague yet broadly positive platitudes. It's not like goons were any more polite and friendly 10 years ago, it's Paradox that changed from a few weird nerds making janky indie games for other weird nerds to a giant corporation.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
It's surprising, or maybe not, how many times Johan has been accused of being a bad boss or bad dev or having bad political opinions (and therefore being a bad person) by goons who misremember his posts. There's just not much upside to posting here for PDX devs, especially at times when posters are demanding explanations and looking for people to blame.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Crazycryodude posted:

Paradox is a serious big boy company with stock prices and shareholder meetings and an HR department and sexual harassment scandals now. Sure the thread has a few favorites to pick on but I think it's honestly more a product of PDX blowing up and hiring enough lawyers to get you fired for saying anything that isn't on the list of marketing dept. approved vague yet broadly positive platitudes. It's not like goons were any more polite and friendly 10 years ago, it's Paradox that changed from a few weird nerds making janky indie games for other weird nerds to a giant corporation.

Eh. My experience is that I've moved on to positions of greater responsibility so I'm slightly more careful about what I say/have less time to say it, but that's the only relevant internal change. The tone of online discourse absolutely impacts willingness to engage.

DrSunshine posted:

Oh that is really gross and bad. Paradox Goons: Have you witnessed anything like this in your meetings and teams? Do you have women employees in your team? What do you do to include their input?

As mentioned, certain (ill-defined) public displays of disloyalty towards your employer are illegal in Sweden, so don't take silence/obliqueness on this issue from me or anyone else the wrong way. What I can say personally is that, uh, I'm a member of the union. CK3's content design team was majority-female for a long stretch while I ran it, and I worked hard to make sure that they were heard and seen. I recommended a woman to succeed me as content design lead on Stellaris. And there are others who share my values and priorities at PDS.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Crazycryodude posted:

I like when the Paradox devs post here, but when there's massive allegations against the company I'm not sure why other posters here are saying we need to coddle the managers here and tell them they did nothing wrong. We've known management was a dumpster fire even before everything about Fredrik and the rest came out.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Isn't most of the crankiness/animosity towards paradox here mostly just against them as a whole or their various studios and not the individuals (except maybe for upper management since it is part of their job to be responsible)? It's not like anyone here is calling out for LordMune or Wiz personally to be burned at the stake for every single thing paradox has ever done wrong. I mean I called the people who did Leviathan incompetent and I stand by that, because it is bad, but if one of the people who worked on it would for some bizarre reason post here I would NEVER harass them or blame them personally for it. (but I definitely could have tried to phrase that whiny post better).

Oh, and I'm sorry and apologize for misreading the post previously.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Lady Radia posted:

I like when the Paradox devs post here, but when there's massive allegations against the company I'm not sure why other posters here are saying we need to coddle the managers here and tell them they did nothing wrong. We've known management was a dumpster fire even before everything about Fredrik and the rest came out.

the devs that post here are by and large not managers. the ones that are managers are either johan (who imo is a valid target given that this is, in many ways, his company even if he doesn't run it) or wiz, who immediately came out in support of the union. also at this point almost all of the paradox dev goons were goons first and became paradox devs later...i don't see the point in aiming criticism at them rather than the people who made the culture they were hired into, especially when they're all apparently in the union.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Even if firing wasn't on the table, I can think of a few reasons why someone might not be quick to publicly bad mouth their employer on a public forum where they have an account that's easily traced back to their real human identity.