Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Watching Scalti's videos makes me appreciate Smart! so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Hi again I made the changes but how do I get them to save? Thanks again for any help with the calculator. All I really want to do is get on with the tiers, the rest of the game is fine for me.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
I started a new game using SMART in the Dune Desert and it's definitely my favorite mod. I've now got a starter oil plant producing plastic and runner and sinking the resulting petroleum coke and used that to make enough computers to unlock Fuel Generators. Now I'm back to some hesitation about how to move forward; I've got coal plants generating 4.8GW and that gives me a decent amount of power overhead, but I haven't got any of the oil alternates yet. I think I'll need to turn my residual oil to petroleum coke line into fuel and start packaging it so I can unlock and use the jetpack to get around.

Even though I knew what was coming, oil is making my head spin.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Mayveena posted:

Hi again I made the changes but how do I get them to save? Thanks again for any help with the calculator. All I really want to do is get on with the tiers, the rest of the game is fine for me.

There's a "download save" button on the right, next to the options button. Download the save from the editor and put it in your saves folder.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Peewi posted:

There's a "download save" button on the right, next to the options button. Download the save from the editor and put it in your saves folder.

Thanks so much, I'm old and apparently blind as well. You folks are great!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm just going over the overclocking numbers of the fuel generators on the Satisfactory Wikia. So there's no efficiency loss when overclocking these? The fuel consumption scales linearly with the increased output. It just takes snails?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm just going over the overclocking numbers of the fuel generators on the Satisfactory Wikia. So there's no efficiency loss when overclocking these? The fuel consumption scales linearly with the increased output. It just takes snails?

The fuel still has the same fuel value, so overclocking power generators is generally not worth it unless you really need to get a certain amount of power generation into a smaller space.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Overclocking power plants just increases consumption, yeah, unlike overclocking production increasing consumption and also power consumption exponentially.

Overclocking is uniformly for fitting stuff into less space, unless you’re doing Miners. In that case it’s for increasing the size of a potential build ~

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
the friend i've been co-oping with is overclocking loving EVERYTHING. i've had toe xpand our power setup like four times

but he's having fun so who cares

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Is he afraid of running out of space? :v:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
No his approach is “if I set this to 200% then I can make half as many” because he’s lazy. Our main factory hasn’t moved since we started it’s just gotten bigger and wider and it’s all spaghetti. All things considered it’s very small. I think nuclear power is going to change that though.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Overclocking is good for your cpu. Half the machines = half the math. I think in my update 5 game I'm going to try to make a doggo ranch early to get a big bank of shards.

Though, it's probably better to underclock early to get through the game, and then save the overclocking for when you're doing the big builds.

I also personally like underclocking to get machines into even ratios, it saves clicks to just build things 1:1 wherever possible and plug one machine into the next rather than use a mess of splitters. Plus, you use a bit less power which is nice.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

My overclocking has been specifically limited to miners and moments where I realize that I have created a design I juuuust didn't quite design right and now the 3rd floor is going to be 2, 3, 4, whatever foundations longer than the lower floors and gently caress that I'm going to overclock the 3rd floor so it fits the horizontal footprint of the rest of the building.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Dr. Stab posted:

Overclocking is good for your cpu. Half the machines = half the math. I think in my update 5 game I'm going to try to make a doggo ranch early to get a big bank of shards.
I've been putting that one off until I finally unlock tier 7 and subsequently hazmat suits. Because those things apparently also bring uranium.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

DOMINIC YOU RAT YOU GAVE ME THE OL SPICY DOGGO

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Overclocking power generators is literally free real estate. Fully OC'd generators = build half as many. There's no reason not to unless you either never explore & pick up slugs, or enjoy seeing 50 generators belching coal smoke into the air. (Though the even better OC for coal gens is either 145% or 194%, which make the water consumption evenly divisible into 300 with 60/m and 75/m respectively.)

And other than generators, OCing the low-end machines like smelters and constructors is an easy way to build less stuff. 200% OC = 2x output for 3x power, so 1/2 as much building and belting in exchange for 50% more total power use. The power use is so goddamn trivial on the tier 1 machines, and once you have a big fuel or turbofuel powerplant the assemblers are pretty pathetic as well. It's very easy to build power capacity in this game, and it doesn't take much more than a pittance of resources to make quite a few GW.

For anyone whose biggest dislike about the game is lack of mass building, letting yourself be controlled by the hobgoblin of "efficiency" is just hammering yourself in the dick.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I've been putting that one off until I finally unlock tier 7 and subsequently hazmat suits. Because those things apparently also bring uranium.

Dealing with 1 unit of toxic waste isn't too difficult even without the hazmat. You can carry it a short distance in your inventory, but also if you put it in a tractor you can drive the tractor and the damage is quite low. So if you just want to carry it elsewhere that's easy.

But the thing you want for a doggo farm is a storage container at your pen, connected to another storage container somewhere else. Doggos don't find toxic waste so often that it ever amounts to that much.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Klyith posted:

There's no reason not to unless you either never explore & pick up slugs, or enjoy seeing 50 generators belching coal smoke into the air. 

Who doesn't?
Now building that is a lot less fun though.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Only problem with it is you can't stack coal plants, which severely limits how bad your pipeline snarl can really get

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Only problem with it is you can't stack coal plants, which severely limits how bad your pipeline snarl can really get

Yeah re-model coal gens so they have a hole that the stack from one below can poke up through, allow them to be built on top of one another! This is a great idea.

It will be easy for players to explain away stacks clipping into the model of the gen 2 up from themselves because visually they’ll intrude into the base of that gen’s smokestack.

I will put this idea up on the shelf where I keep “mk1 steam trains which take combustibles and water to run”

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

LonsomeSon posted:

I will put this idea up on the shelf where I keep “mk1 steam trains which take combustibles and water to run”

I'd happily build water and coal stations around the map if it meant I could get cool futuristic steam engines chugga-chugging around.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

love to be efficient and organized

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

god i just got to steel and i feel like things just got 10x as complex

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

queeb posted:

god i just got to steel and i feel like things just got 10x as complex

You're going to love aluminum.

I think in my (one) big factory, I don't actually use iron for anything anymore, all the iron ore gets made into steel bars, and what I still need that's usually made out of iron (plates, maybe?) can be made from steel plus something else (rubber?) if you have the alternate recipe. That made that section of my factory much easier to plan, since I could just make all of the iron ore into steel rather than separating some out to be made into iron bars for like one thing. Screws, Iron Bars, and Iron Plates can all be made out of steel with alternate recipes, although it may not be the most efficient in terms of material or the fastest production.

boxen fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 14, 2021

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

also holy gently caress the map is huge, i started in the forest since it said it was the newbie area and my god, ive explored like 10% of the map just running around down here

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ya it owns

I hope when they add new tiers they come with some resources you need to reach across the map for, right now there's not a lot to push you to leave that 10% aside from curiosity

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

ya it owns

I hope when they add new tiers they come with some resources you need to reach across the map for, right now there's not a lot to push you to leave that 10% aside from curiosity

I think that's what they were going for with Gas extractors, those things are pretty far off all the starting areas. Also, uranium is generally not super accessible and is required for top tier.
And of course, there's always the quest for more hard drives.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

queeb posted:

also holy gently caress the map is huge, i started in the forest since it said it was the newbie area and my god, ive explored like 10% of the map just running around down here

This is why I agree with how they made the in-game map a bit hard to discover & unlock on a first playthrough. When you don't have the map, and are navigating everywhere by landmarks & compass, the world seems ridiculously huge. The feeling of being lost in this world is pretty unique, and can only happen once.

My first game I avoided all outside info for quite a while because I was playing with a friend who'd played before. There were times when I had utterly wrong impressions of how far apart 2 things were, just because of difficult terrain on dense fog.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
There is no landmark better than the space elevator.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
New Update 5 Video!

Fine rotation on foundations!
Snap to inputs!
Walkways snap to platforms on production buildings!

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Between those QoL changes and the added customization options, I'm overwhelmingly excited for update 5.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Going to start a new save in the desert when Update 5 drops and all the little QOL things are looking like they'll make getting to the late game a lot smoother when you add them all up. Splitters on belts snapping to building inputs seems like a small thing until I think about how much time I've spent lining those things up. If you're doing stacked belts inputting into a manifold and placing them two clicks away from assemblers to make everything as compact as possible you have to be nearly pixel perfect or you'll get an invalid belt shape error when you try to connect it.

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer
That's one fine update video. Snapping to inputs (and outputs?) on existing conveyors/pipes did it for me when I saw it in the video. It's been on my wishlist since I first tried working with fluids. Now if they put in train track poles my list will be empty (for now).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

Between those QoL changes and the added customization options, I'm overwhelmingly excited for update 5.

Me too! I might even play the update before the passive mod gets its update :)

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
those snapping changes are amazing, especially the pipe inputs.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

There's certainly an interesting loop in my new fuel power plant on these islands in the west, below the rocky desert. I can currently pump up to 720m³/min with the current setup, with the necessary plants to turn it all into fuel and resin. I have a row of refineries to turn all the potential resin into plastic and rubber. Except they're underfed, because I don't have enough consumers of that fuel I'm making and things are backing up. So now I need to take some of the plastic to package the fuel to sink it, just to get the fuel refineries up to 100%, so that I can actually make more plastic.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's certainly an interesting loop in my new fuel power plant on these islands in the west, below the rocky desert. I can currently pump up to 720m³/min with the current setup, with the necessary plants to turn it all into fuel and resin. I have a row of refineries to turn all the potential resin into plastic and rubber. Except they're underfed, because I don't have enough consumers of that fuel I'm making and things are backing up. So now I need to take some of the plastic to package the fuel to sink it, just to get the fuel refineries up to 100%, so that I can actually make more plastic.

Why not just build more fuel generators to burn the excess fuel?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

There’s a mod which provides a fluid AWESOME sink

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

My strong advice on oil production is not to invest too much time in a big setup if you're still using base recipes. The alt recipes for oil are almost all amazingly good. And even when you have just a couple of them, they make the plant design easier by giving you more options. You don't have to use them in the full max-productivity blueprint you may have seen on the wiki.

So if you can run around and find some hard drives, it's an investment that will more than pay off. Just having Recycled Plastic / Rubber will solve your current problem by turning fuel into more stuff.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Ignoranus posted:

Why not just build more fuel generators to burn the excess fuel?
Still need to make space cleaning up old stuff. Also, I think I probably need some packaged fuel, because I'm still janitoring solid biofuel into truck stations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Snapping to inputs/outputs, zoooooooping (seriously the ramp example :swoon:) and non-poo poo vehicle stuff/train signals... So many major annoyances going away.