Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Instead of Far Cry, I bought Boiling Point. I think it featured the Mummy from the Brendan Fraiser movies. One of the most broken games I ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Far Cry was one of the best shooters of it's time, much better than Half Life 2 and technically much more advanced.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

steinrokkan posted:

I mean you can see how it follows the path of the original in developing this open world with emergent gameplay scenarios, but it at the same time it strays away from the strength of the original vision, which is cybernetically weaponized animals, imo

You know what, I can't argue with that

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Shooters are garbage games for morons.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I sigh as I 360 no scope your head off then viciously teabag your corpse

I'm not mad at you. I'm just disappointed. I hate to do this

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

People who prefer 3rd person shooters are the weirdos who wanted to play with army men or action figures instead of paintball guns and fire.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Any game where you're in a 3D space interacting with objects usually means you're shooting rays out from your player character in order to detect what you want to interact with ergo every 3D game is a shooter.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Sounds like a gently caress cricket joke

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SCheeseman posted:

Any game where you're in a 3D space interacting with objects usually means you're shooting rays out from your player character in order to detect what you want to interact with ergo every 3D game is a shooter.

And, importantly, you are playing the role of

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
There is an inversely proportional relationship between realism and fun in video games.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

The thing I remember about Far Cry 2 was that everyone seemed to be talking in fast forward. "You'resickandyouneedtotakepillsandtherearesomepeopleyouhavetoblowupokaybye!" I was also just getting non-stop attacked and probably playing it wrong.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Outposts shouldn't have respawned. Or not as fast

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Yeah I reinstalled it a few days ago and just unibstalled it. I just couldn't get into FC2

FC3 is fun to just roam, if i still smoked weed I'd probably like it a lot more but I did beat it, good game

Far cry 1 when it came out was amazing, I played the first part over and over until the aliens showed up

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Trigen Monkeys from Far Cry were the bane of my existence. Death was only two hits away from a monster that only had two types of movement: sprinting and leaping.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Metroid Dread blows. I hate it. Nintendo should be lambasted for making a control scheme this lovely with no customization options. Everything about EMMIs sucks poo poo too and the level design is tedious. I don't mind hard games but it's hard in a way that is frustrating as hell. Just a mostly miserable experience with pockets of fun that are almost instantly halted by more misery.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Metroid Dread blows. I hate it. Nintendo should be lambasted for making a control scheme this lovely with no customization options. Everything about EMMIs sucks poo poo too and the level design is tedious. I don't mind hard games but it's hard in a way that is frustrating as hell. Just a mostly miserable experience with pockets of fun that are almost instantly halted by more misery.

They were pretty upfront they wanted to take the metroid formula which was already bad and add on stalker gameplay which is worse.

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

not adding value on SA one post at a time

veni veni veni posted:

Hold down B

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Huh? My issues are not with the jumping it's the absolutely heinous aiming.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Oct 14, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

veni veni veni posted:

Don't worry I'm sure there's a new call of duty out soon

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Im sure there is whats your point?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Metroid Dread doesn't look like its full price at all, it looks like a slightly shinier indie game and its never gonna drop in price because nintendo are greedy fools.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

Metroid Dread doesn't look like its full price at all, it looks like a slightly shinier indie game and its never gonna drop in price because nintendo are greedy fools.

Yeah, I enjoyed some parts of the game, but it definitely feels like the stupidest $60 I've spent in a long time.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Yeah £50 seemed a bit steep but its a quality game you can beat quickly and sell at almost no loss

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have no idea how people are coping with a control layout that involves holding down 3 buttons at once and incredibly finicky aiming just to use one of the most important fire modes, all while leaving the right stick unused.No to mention you can't move because of it. it feels disgustingly bad to play.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Super Metroid let you aim oddly while moving (backwards even! moonwalking!). Never heard of dread until just now, if you took away its gfx would people prefer it over the older games?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

If you took away metroid as the main character it would be a 30 dollar PSN game

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Serephina posted:

Super Metroid let you aim oddly while moving (backwards even! moonwalking!). Never heard of dread until just now, if you took away its gfx would people prefer it over the older games?

If it was a PlayStation game the psx heads would be gushing over it

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I look forward to playing Dread in a few years on an emulator with a better controller.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Gato Roboto is the only good metroidvania because it's the only one that doesn't devolve into a joyless slog of over-padded backtracking.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

And you play as a cat.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Hector Delgado posted:

Instead of Far Cry, I bought Boiling Point. I think it featured the Mummy from the Brendan Fraiser movies. One of the most broken games I ever had.

oh I remember BP was the promise of open world jungle RPGFPS but was just a mess. Jungle looked cool though.

there was also Chrome (from Techland) with mechs and stuff, but FarCry was the best jungle shooter.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Is there any game this thread universally enjoys? Except Dwarf Fortress of course.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ski free is beyond reproach.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

itry posted:

I look forward to playing Dread in a few years on an emulator with a better controller.

You do realise the Switch Pro Controller is a thing right

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You do realise the Switch Pro Controller is a thing right

And that its playable, now, in emulators

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
People who pirate games are morons, they want the double bill of having a product at the earliest moment and at the lowest investment. You can't trust their opinions because they are easily distracted and non committal. Paying money for your videogames is righteous and respect worthy

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

lobsterminator posted:

Is there any game this thread universally enjoys? Except Dwarf Fortress of course.

Probably Obra Dinn?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Obra Dinn is a cool game for boomers who like cross words, the art style is hella stylish but awful to look at in motion. Being an expanded logic puzzle is a great idea but I've tried 3 or 4 times to get into and its just not what what i come to games for

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I don't think I've seen anyone knock tetris yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Obra Dinn is a cool game for boomers who like cross words, the art style is hella stylish but awful to look at in motion. Being an expanded logic puzzle is a great idea but I've tried 3 or 4 times to get into and its just not what what i come to games for

the art style is just covering up the fact that its made from a bunch of assets they bought that are probably low quality and in a bunch of different styles

which is pretty clever tbh