Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

The Protagonist posted:

Why are you taking grad classes anymore even

Is the official thread stance is that you should not drop out??

i applied to a bunch of urban planning programs when i was an optimistic youngster who was gonna do something about this whole climate change thing back in 2019. now it's like... what else am i gonna do for the next 8 months anyway? might as well just get that piece of paper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
at this point going pol pot on anyone who understands extracting and refining petrochemicals is the only way we're getting out of this

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i have bad news for you

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
will this do anything or is it pissing into the wind?

Biden Administration Plans Wind Farms Along Nearly the Entire U.S. Coastline

e: lmao, 2025, even if it was anything the idea that Trupp wouldn't just shut it down is ludicrous

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rectal Death Adept posted:

i have bad news for you

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Cloks posted:

e: lmao, 2025, even if it was anything the idea that Trupp wouldn't just shut it down is ludicrous

I wonder if they ever solved the problems with undersea power distribution cabling. Apparently they break constantly, are difficult and expensive to replace, and it causes massive collateral damage when they inevitably do break. I read something were like 50% break over 5 years.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Cloks posted:

Article is weirdly outdated, those leases are already identified and being bid on. Seven or Eight clusters down the west coast of Oregon and Cali, and then vast interconnected 5+ gigawatt megafarms blanketing the east coast from Maine to the Gulf. Several of the east coast farms, such as the projects Orsted is developing, are supposedly going to be under construction or already commissioned by 2025 (unlikely). Half of all this is supposed to be online by 2030.

Bidding is already open on most of these.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
lmao very cool

no :crackping: here tonight

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Rime posted:

Article is weirdly outdated, those leases are already identified and being bid on. Seven or Eight clusters down the west coast of Oregon and Cali, and then vast interconnected 5+ gigawatt megafarms blanketing the east coast from Maine to the Gulf. Several of the east coast farms, such as the projects Orsted is developing, are supposedly going to be under construction or already commissioned by 2025 (unlikely). Half of all this is supposed to be online by 2030.

Bidding is already open on most of these.

Actually you'll find that The Most Progressive President In Our Generation did all of it. This is all because of Biden. Also all of the technological hurdles are solved due to brain genius Joe The President.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

global warming is going to gently caress with wind currents so badly that a lot of these will be underpowered in a decade or two,

reptilian_brain
Sep 8, 2010

Homocow posted:

we're here:

Rudder go up

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what if we all just lived on the surface of Venus. momentarily.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
this isn't new to this forum but I'd like to present this as evidence that we are already way beyond loving this planet and have simply accepted our impoverished planet as normal:

https://www.npr.org/sections/krulwich/2014/02/05/257046530/big-fish-stories-getting-littler

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Spergin Morlock posted:

its only a matter of time before some bacteria figures out how to metabolize plastic and once that happens the problem fixes itself

one was found outside a plastic recycling plant in osaka a while ago https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.aad6359

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Dolphin posted:

I will volunteer to go to Venus and find out just how long a human can survive there. I'll scream all the way down so you can time it.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/SallyNAitken/status/1448414570943377410?s=20

I know geoengineering gets a lot of attention but bioengineering to try and save various crops or species is also going to be a clusterfuck. How's that project to revive the Wooly Mammoth going?

And while we're on the topic of engineering species...

Human engineering to fight against climate change

quote:

Pharmacological intolerance to meat

An FAO report estimates that 18% of global greenhouse gas emissions come from intensive livestock farming. Each cow emits between 100 and 500 liters of methane per day. Most of these animals are raised for human consumption, meaning that reducing the amount of red meat in our diet by 21% could have a large impact on the environment.

In order to reduce this consumption, Liao suggests artificially inducing an intolerance by stimulating the immune system to work against the proteins present in beef. This intolerance could be provoked naturally from a Lone Star tick bite, which is not harmful for humans. This bite would transmit a carbohydrate called alfa-gal to the bloodstream, leading people to produce antibodies to fight it. Liao is not suggesting that people become vegetarians, but rather that they acquire an intolerance to the animal that contributes the most to greenhouse gas emissions.

Having smaller children

The human footprint is closely tied to people’s size, meaning that an effective way to reduce the environmental impact is to make humans smaller. This could be accomplished through pre-implantation genetic diagnosis (PGD) in fertility clinics to assess embryos with certain genetically transmitted diseases. The PGD could be used to select shorter children, which would not entail any type of genetic alteration.

Hormone treatment is another method the philosopher proposes to modify levels of the growth hormone somatotrophin in order to cause the growth cartilage to close ahead of time. This method is already being used to stop growth in children who are too tall. He also suggests activating the genes of one of the parents and deactivating those of the other, through medication or nutrients, in order to lessen the size of the baby.

Reducing birth rates

Although having children does not by itself have a major impact on the environment, doing so in a society where each person emits too much pollution creates a real problem. According to World Bank data, in 2016 a person in the Congo emitted 30 kg of CO2 per year, while a person in the U.S. produced 16.4 tons of CO2.

The solution lies in access to education to reduce the birth rate in places with the greatest pollution, thereby helping to improve the environment. Liao suggests using medications such as Ritalin and Modafinil to improve cognitive functions in order to reduce the birth rate in countries like the United States, where the teen pregnancy rate is one of the highest. These medications can increase people’s ability to teach themselves, which would affect the birth rate, and indirectly, climate change.

Pharmacologically induced altruism and empathy

Most environmental problems come from a lack of collective action. As they do not consider themselves the main cause of climate change, humans do not take action to fight it. The induction of altruism and empathy can increase the likelihood of this occurring. There is evidence that altruism and empathy have a biological foundation that could be pharmacologically altered.

A clinical trial has shown that if the hormone oxytocin (available in pharmacies with a prescription) is administered, it creates a tendency to act with greater integrity. Oxytocin also seems to improve people’s ability to understand other people’s emotions, an essential characteristic for empathy. These studies suggest that interventions that affect sensitivity in the neural systems could also increase people’s willingness to cooperate with rules or social goals.

bowser has issued a correction as of 13:10 on Oct 14, 2021

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

KaptainKrunk posted:

global warming is going to gently caress with wind currents so badly that a lot of these will be underpowered in a decade or two,

It does trouble me that the vast majority of people seem to assume wind is a magical infinite "other" power source, much like solar actually is, and that pulling hundreds or thousands of terawatts out of that closed system will in no way have negative consequences for weather patterns.

The first law of thermodynamics is some basic poo poo, unless you rely on a thing as a hail mary to prop up your lifestyle and keep the party going I guess.

Are wind farms slowing each other down?

quote:

While the group has mainly dealt with the extent to which the wind farms influence each other in their current work, they intend to investigate in the near future what influence the reduced wind speeds have on life in the sea. Wind and waves mix the sea. This changes the salt and oxygen content of the water, its temperature and the amount of nutrients in certain water depths. Naveed Akhtar: "We would now like to find out how the reduced mixing affects the marine ecosystem."

Every type of energy generation at scale has a considerable and unavoidable environmental price.

Rime has issued a correction as of 13:16 on Oct 14, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
we could build enough wind to power north america entirely and i don’t think it would have a drastic impact properly spaced out tbh. there’s an awful lot of room.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

good loving luck convincing people to voluntarily sign up for any of this, we can't even get >80% of people to accept the covid vaccine

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Dolphin posted:

It would feel like walking around under 1km of water. The gravity waves would knock you over. Also they are made of acid. Venus is hilariously hostile to life. Every contigency you can think of has been stamped out. It's the ultimate NIMBY planet.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Marx Headroom posted:

It would feel like walking around under 1km of water. The gravity waves would knock you over. Also they are made of acid. Venus is hilariously hostile to life. Every contigency you can think of has been stamped out. It's the ultimate NIMBY planet.

all the benches on Venus have those dividers so the unhoused can't sleep on them

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

well I don't have children, don't really fly, I have a car but only drive 2k miles/year, and don't eat meat

I would still take some oxytocin though :p

and yeah imagine the chud reaction to the meat thing hahahaha

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

kreeningsons posted:

one was found outside a plastic recycling plant in osaka a while ago https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.aad6359

so all that carbon currently locked up in plastics and not accounted for in even the worst case climate models is totally in play and can rush back into the biosphere whenever a strain of those guys gets serious.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Stereotype posted:

my good friend is a marine biologist specializing in coral and her lab is effectively building a coral ark, since they are convinced that the oceans are going to soon be completely inhospitable to all corals and so they’re trying to freeze them so that they can unfreeze them at some arbitrary point in the future and we don’t just lose all the coral to extinction. seems like a worthwhile graduate school result.

One of my college friends went into marine biology and she's the most crack pinged person I've ever met. Nobody in this thread, probably not even Rime, comes even close to the level of doom that I get from her. It's insane.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

One of my college friends went into marine biology and she's the most crack pinged person I've ever met. Nobody in this thread, probably not even Rime, comes even close to the level of doom that I get from her. It's insane.

hard not to be when you watch all these metrics change in literal real time as you sample

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

hey doomers, here's some normie hope

https://twitter.com/jam_etc/status/1448380548288634887
https://www.science.org/content/article/huge-step-forward-mutant-enzyme-could-vastly-improve-recycling-plastic-bottles

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

we did it!! we cleaned up the Patch and got rid of recycled the plastic!

what do you mean we're still dead

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lol, so they've managed to figure out recycling plastic back into its original form. while we're still producing massive amounts of plastic daily. also these recycled plastics are going back into circulation where small bits of them get shaved/rubbed/worn/etc off and go into the environment.

this is literally making the problem worse.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

we needed an immediate and total abstention from using plastic for anything other than critical usages (medical and such), twenty years ago.

instead 1.9 billion ultrastrong plastic bags are being produced daily to siphon Coca-Cola down throats where they'll destroy gastric linings. and now we can recycle that back into even more coke cans!

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Lmao Florida

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Marx Headroom posted:

I think the dumb German YouTube thing (that I actually enjoy even if they're too optimistic) has a video about teraforming Venus because I guess it is easier than Mars?

If you watch some of the other videos they do have a pretty lmao quality in that they're like "well we might be able to do this if we could stop being idiot apes for ten minutes." So maybe they aren't all bad!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SKULL.GIF posted:

lol, so they've managed to figure out recycling plastic back into its original form. while we're still producing massive amounts of plastic daily. also these recycled plastics are going back into circulation where small bits of them get shaved/rubbed/worn/etc off and go into the environment.

this is literally making the problem worse.

I don't think they even know about the microplastics, they're just upset about the dolphins swimming in trash. They're not even thinking about how the water is also itself trash now

Basic Poster posted:

Lmao Florida

incredible, Florida is so lovely that it eclipsed my state entirely

but also lmao NYC

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Marx Headroom posted:

you can survive this momentarily

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
1. clean up the big plastic patches in the ocean
2. ???
3. clean up the microplastics and greenhouse gases already in the atmosphere

gently caress YEAH WE GOT THIS

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lol those people are such a scam.

They’re claiming carbon offsets from Chinese dam project, because they’re HQ’ed in San Francisco, which is very very far away from the garbage patch lol

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
recycling was invented as a scapegoat for manufacturing millions more tons of plastic which could then be blamed on the consumer

oh, all that littered plastic? that's all irresponsible people who used the wrong bin :smug:

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Spergin Morlock posted:

its only a matter of time before some bacteria figures out how to metabolize plastic and once that happens the problem fixes itself

Hmmm. Plastic is actually less complex than the cellulose in trees. It only took a few tens of millions of years for bacteria to figure that out. It may only take a few hundred thousand for plastic. I'm suddenly optimistic.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
are we sure humans can't digest plastic

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Basic Poster posted:

Lmao Florida

how are there no Louisiana cities in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

the ocean cleanup people note that some of their prototypes also capture microplastics. so they’re aware of those. 90% of the big patch is garbage greater than 10mm in size so this is still a worthwhile effort on some level. sorta meaningless imo without strict plastic bans tho so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Hmmm. Plastic is actually less complex than the cellulose in trees. It only took a few tens of millions of years for bacteria to figure that out. It may only take a few hundred thousand for plastic. I'm suddenly optimistic.

as has been brought up we’ve seen this already. the thing about these alternate metabolic pathways expressed by these microbes is that there’s always a fitness cost associated with them. this is worthwhile when the mutations allow them access to abundant energy sources that their fellow bugs can’t digest because the outcome more than makes up for the cost.

irl though it’s usually the case that there’s plenty of other stuff for them to digest and so they’ll generally be outcompeted by microbes that don’t end up with these mutations. so while we’ll see limited examples popping up they’re mostly only going to be useful for industrial biodigesters and never imo as a sort of general widespread bug that eats all the plastic.

regrettably because it would be pretty interesting to see most plastics just…stop working