Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

No hint of kindness or concern, no "Sorry to hear that Dustin, what are you experiencing that makes you think it's burnout?" Nope, just "WORKER MUST PRODUCE".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The attitude in Dustin is the same one applied to homeless people. Rather than combating the underlying problems, old shitheads like Skelley (or whoever it is who writes it) choose to blame the victim for just not bootstrapping hard enough.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

If you can't book the Gin Blossoms, the Gas Giants are almost as good (since it's mostly the same people).

Bizarro

The Family Circus

For whatever reason this made me remember the time I asked my first grade math teacher what happens if you subtract a bigger number from a smaller one, like three minus five, and she said you couldn't ever do that, since there was no such thing as a number under zero. I had at least heard of negative numbers before, even if I didn't really know how to use them, but she said she'd never heard of such a thing. Not "we won't be getting to that this year", but straight up "that does not exist". Hadn't thought about that in years but now I'm annoyed all over again.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

"I do not perceive you as working hard enough to 'justify' burnout, and therefore, it must not be! That you are apparently exhausted from what other people seem to find simple tasks if in no way concerning to anyone."

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

We had a similar idea, it seems.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 13, 2021

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

The generic names of prescription drugs are actually created by two women in Chicago

Also from Georgia Dunn's Instagram, it's Elvis' 13th birthday!

Georgia Dunn posted:

Happy birthday to this handsome, dignified, magnificent creature! And it’s his “magic birthday,” Elvis is 13 on the 13th this year! I cannot imagine my life without this dedicated shadow. Always at my side, or at least a few feet away, he is truly my constant companion. A guard cat so good at his job, when the kids are scared of the dark or a strange noise at night I can say, “Do you think Elvis would let anything into this house? He doesn’t even let our friends in—“ He started his thirteenth year hiding under the blankets from the folks cleaning the chimney upstairs. Cranky, smart, brave, vicious, gentle; he has an endless patience for kittens and children and an enduring love of Ben & Jerry’s Strawberry Cheesecake ice cream. I love him dearly.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The attitude in Dustin is the same one applied to homeless people. Rather than combating the underlying problems, old shitheads like Skelley (or whoever it is who writes it) choose to blame the victim for just not bootstrapping hard enough.

But of course. Any other position might require some amount of effort or sacrifice on their part.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I was actually kind of hoping the woman that Wilbur is with was already in a relationship, but I guess if she invited him to the beach and hasn't mentioned a partner/spouse, that isn't going to be the case, which is pretty disappointing.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Garfield Classic (January 12, 1990)

Cats are obligate carnivores.

Jon is trying to murder Garfield.

Haifisch posted:

After however long I've been posting this, I feel like it's safe to say old Overboard is definitely better than current Overboard, but still has the same bad habit of driving a small set of jokes/scenarios into the ground. No reason not to keep posting it though.

Yeah that's how I feel about it too, all the stuff when they're on the ship and being pirates is great, but the constant "women don't like these two pirates" stuff is getting old. I still prefer it to the talking animals and twee bullshit of modern Overboard though. Well, except for any strip involving Scratch. I've already mentioned Scratch is the best character in modern Overboard because he's the only character that acts like it's still the 90s strip.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I was actually kind of hoping the woman that Wilbur is with was already in a relationship, but I guess if she invited him to the beach and hasn't mentioned a partner/spouse, that isn't going to be the case, which is pretty disappointing.

:same:

Wilbur has gone without suffering for too long already.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Current Overboard has the same feeling as Cat Cafe, where the author racks their brain for something to make a strip about, and the only thing that's left is "drat, I love my pet". It's pretty cute.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Everett False posted:

:same:

Wilbur has gone without suffering for too long already.

If this turns out to be some "opposites attract" bullshit I will be mad

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool

Can someone explain this one?

Thx

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Instead of the cat flying out of the piano (where it was sleeping and has now been deafened) as the man plays it, the reverse is happening.

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool

goatface posted:

Instead of the cat flying out of the piano (where it was sleeping and has now been deafened) as the man plays it, the reverse is happening.

Huh. I guess it does make sense that a cat would sleep in there.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Coatlicue posted:

Huh. I guess it does make sense that a cat would sleep in there.

Also why you might need to bang on your car hood on chilly mornings.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Wallace stop you’re going to get bird poop in your mouth. :ohdear:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "316 - Jucika Reconciles"

"317 - Jucika At The Beach"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Green Intern posted:

She appears to have packed a wood log.

It's better than bad, it's good!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's better than bad, it's good!

hey, it rolls down stair and runs over your neighbors dog, whats not to like?

ITS LOG LOG LOG

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Jan 29, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Feb 22-23, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

A Sunday crabgrass on a wendesday is weird

There was a monday one the other week too

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! October 22, 1918

Outbursts of Everett True November 27, 1918

Gay and Her Gang November 27, 1929

Oaky Doaks April 30, 1936

Mopsy July 7, 1937

Up Front August 11, 1944

Dark Laughter March 12, 1949

Those Were the Days September 27, 1956

Wee Pals January 20, 1966

Dogbert July 7, 1966

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days September 27, 1956
I love how the dad in the second panel has greatly simplified linework that makes him look like a pastiche of American dads in comics that literally didn't exist until after Beeman absolutely skewered this stereotype.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Well, Definitely Not Greg's Publicist, I would say I think Luann might know more of her classmates if she made any kind of effort at all to get to know anyone outside of her small circle of people she already knew from high school (and whatever outsiders those friends happen to bring in). But last time she went to a party was at least a year ago and she had to leave almost immediately because people were smoking and she saw a couple *gasp* engaging in premarital kissing.

Speaking of the small circle she knew in high school, two of the teen characters in that High School picture have since been written out. The two that remain + Gunther are basically her only friend circle now. (There are other college characters in the strip, for sure, but most of them don't hang out with Luann.)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Slammy posted:

Gay and Her Gang November 27, 1929

Holy poo poo that's like $16 a pound in today money. :popeye:

EDIT: Also seriously why are we getting this poo poo NOW, how long has it been since Luann started going to college?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

LvK posted:

I was nervous when Popeye changed hands, but I'm enjoying the casual absurdity and nonchalant action scenes of the current arc.
{...} Mutt and Jeff is just a drat solid source of a super-oldschool chuckle

Thanks much, and now I feel kind of guilty for slipping in those Spanish Mutt and Jeffs over the past week to see if anyone would notice the difference. So let's start by straightening that out.

As for 1938 Popeye, the big change is around the corner, but I'll explain that when we get to the next story.

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine, which reminds you that the truth is supposed to hurt, because that's how you know it's working.

Skippy (February 13, 1934)

Peanuts (October 16, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

The Crankshaft Print Media After-Party

Mutt and Jeff (in English, where available)

Couldn't find any other languages, and I know there are more than just the two.

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (May 14, 1938)

Out Our Way (July 29-31, 1937)

My Toonerville source is acting up tonight, so on to Dok's Blue-Footed-Boobytrap Duck (October 28, 1913)

Little Lefty (July 4-6, 1935)

That incredibly atmospheric strip from the 5th is one of those occasional reminders that Del was a legit commercial artist who moved on to doing Classics Illustrated after the war.

And, of course, dorg without boy. :smith:

Blondie (From Zero), in which our heroine continues to weigh her options. (March 23-25, 1931)

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
hmmmm i don't know if i want to hear more of this position, imagined or not, strawman or not, from sally forth

EasyEW posted:

Thanks much, and now I feel kind of guilty for slipping in those Spanish Mutt and Jeffs over the past week to see if anyone would notice the difference. So let's start by straightening that out.

i thought it was funny

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
:shobon: I like Mutt and Jeff, it has powerful dad joke energy and is pretty good-spirited.

I think Crankshaft is up to about five reasons that The Sentinel was bought out, also that Skip totally stood up to that banker, also none of it mattered anyway.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Medenmath posted:

Yeah sorry, I didn't see fondue's post before. Aleta is tired because she's pregnant. Part of the reason Katwin insisted on coming with Val for the rescue is she already knew this.

I'm really obtuse so it took this much of a hint for me to get it. I missed the baby clothing entirely or dismissed it as just something she was doing for no reason.

B Kliban

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Can this fucker get his comeuppance already? Every time I think he's about to, he doesn't. :mad:

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Nooooo

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Slammy posted:

And He Did! October 22, 1918

And He loving Ate It! October 22, 1918

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

Gotta say the ending to schlock mercenary was really disappointing. I didn't like the last storyline at all, so many things hinted at, so many things being built up to and they just never materialized.

I think a lot of those were supposed to be resolved in the followup comic that Howard was planning on doing but since that hasn't materialized... well'p.

IIRC the original plan was that right after Schlock ended a new story in the same universe with new protagonists was going to start, but then he realized he hadn't had a vacation in 20+ years and that was like a year ago. Well deserved rest, but I would love to read more stories by him in the same universe.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
And now, for something slightly different.

Classic Kevin & Kell plus General Protection Fault (January 19-26, 2004)

The long story short, in early 2004 Kevin & Kell did a cross-over with another long-running webcomic, General Protection Fault. As a set up for the event the two main characters of GPF, Nick and Ki, try out a virtual reality machine, which malfunctions and dumps them into the K&K world.

Thing is, both strips advance the plot, so for a couple weeks, readers had to check the other webcomic to know what was going on. Not y'all, though: I'm going to post both strips right here for as long as they're relevant (a few days' woth of posting), so you don't have to switch websites to get the full story.

So, without further ado...

(The cross-over started mid-week, from tomorrow you'll get basically double the amount of strips.)

Modern Kevin & Kell