Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

mawarannahr posted:

You can do it!

Day five.

Just a full cessation. It wasn't too bad since I did it on Thursday into Friday and had the weekend to just chill out. Gonna kick this can for a while and see if I can't make something a little better out of myself.

Thanks again for the words. I appreciate it now that I'm in a more stable footing than when I wrote that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I'm going to respond to this earnestly, because why the hell not? I've been working on this assertiveness module recently: https://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/Resources/Looking-After-Yourself/Assertiveness

A lot of people will tell you that assertiveness is the be-all end-all way to interact with people. I think it's great for establishing a long-term relationship with people. This module is the only one I've ever seen that addresses the upsides of passiveness and aggressiveness, while acknowledging some of the downsides of assertiveness. I found it to be a useful tool for identifying various types of interactions with others, and it gave me a better understanding of why they happen. If nothing else, I think it's useful to reserve aggressiveness for when you really need it.

this is pretty helpful, ty. think I'm bouncing between passivity and aggression rather than finding a healthy middle ground

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

animist posted:

this is pretty helpful, ty. think I'm bouncing between passivity and aggression rather than finding a healthy middle ground

that self-awareness is key - it's great to see someone acknowledging where they may or may not be.

Definitely use that knowledge as something that can ground you.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I just wanted to say again how helpful this thread has been for me. I hope people are doing ok. I feel like I might be getting some stuff sorted out in my life. At the very least, I'm getting stuff done at NAMI.

:justpost:

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Started a job at a psychiatric hospital this week and I'm already wanting to quit. The level of misconduct and incompetence in that facility is incomprehensible, and I researched on Google and disability rights advocates have condemned the place as well as it having been put on probation by the state regulator. I thought I was signing up to take part in counseling and helping other addicts and people in a rough spot, instead I got paperwork and taking out the loving trash gently caress my life. Doesn't help I was put in the most unit with the most aggressive patients to start.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

I thought I had renewed my Fluoxetine prescription, but for some reason it didn't go through. So I talked to the surgery today, and it will apparently be available "tomorrow or Monday" from the pharmacy. I didn't have any today, do I have to worry about withdrawal symptoms if I have to wait until Monday?

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Jollity Farm posted:

I thought I had renewed my Fluoxetine prescription, but for some reason it didn't go through. So I talked to the surgery today, and it will apparently be available "tomorrow or Monday" from the pharmacy. I didn't have any today, do I have to worry about withdrawal symptoms if I have to wait until Monday?

That's a lovely situation that I've been in a few times. When I have a short gap in my prescription, I go to the pharmacy and ask for a few pills to tide me over. CVS and and a university pharmacy have provided me with a few "sample" doses in the past.

I looked up Fluoxetine specifically: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/fluoxetine-withdrawal

Looks like it has a longer half-life, which can lessen withdrawal symptoms. I've been through withdrawal from similar medications, and it was unpleasant but manageable. The 4-6 day half-life may mean that it won't hit you as hard over the weekend. Good luck.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Thanks :) I will ask at the pharmacy tomorrow to see what they've got. I have been in situations before when I've had to go without for a day (or, I would count how many I had left and take fewer than I normally do so as to stretch the supply out) but I just wasn't sure how long withdrawal symptoms take to show up.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

why is sending an invite to a local festival in a group chat causing physical discomfort

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

StashAugustine posted:

why is sending an invite to a local festival in a group chat causing physical discomfort

I get anxious about inviting people to stuff, or even calling attention to myself. I hope you go and have fun regardless of their response!

I'm enjoying the Shatterpoint audiobook. It's very different from the cute Star Wars novels I read as a kid.

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

StashAugustine posted:

Regardless of who goes and doesn't go - we'd love to hear how this festival went, friend!

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

Sometimes I feel weirdly scared of things I know I want to do, especially when they involve other people. I basically have an old but constant anxiety something I don't understand will happen that will put me into a detached or alienated position from my loved ones, ranging from worries like setting false expectations for them or myself, to feeling worried that I could accidentally offend them somehow, to the point they would abandon, or even hurt me hah. Ultimately I can feel excitement as an intense insecurity that I will inevitably gently caress up and the people I am around will feel the need to ostracize, single me out, or wound me somehow, and it even might feel completely random. After a while, the self-isolation doesn't particularly help me w that either lol.

But even though I think (for myself) that's an unfortunate self belief dug in over time by traumas, miscommunications, and my own mistakes, I like to think that that fear is just a strange reflection of how good it can feel for me to be around people I can feel like myself. I must love that a lot if I can get that afraid of losing it. Maybe that is delusional thinking hah, but I also feel lucky to be surrounded by friends and family who think I am okay, even if I can feel that at-times-overwhelmingly strange anxiety go in and out.

Just sometimes (a lot of the time rn tbh) things go south and the fear of somehow losing that luck can bring up a bunch of other poo poo I don't generally wanna think about hah, and I can get compulsively depressed. It sounds dramatic, but it can feel hopelessly difficult to escape that wormhole, especially when you tend to avoid feeling excited about stuff in the first place. I feel lucky to have people in my life that understand that too.

Anyway, it sounds like you like being around those people to the point you were already imagining/feeling the possible fun you could all have at that festival, so I hope you could let yourself feel that excitement enough to go through with the invite. But also fwiw it's totally okay if you didn't; some days I am a lump and just can't do it -- you get some RnR lol, at least until you think of it or feel it next time. Not sure if any of what I said answers your question or helps at all lol but thanks for reading anyway, clearly I have my own poo poo too haha.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
hey i kept meaning to post in here but didn't get around to it, but thanks to everyone for the advice i was given

I've signed up with student accessibility services at my university, and they should be able to help. I saw a counselor (RSW) also through the university, and it was good to do an hour of therapy even if it was the usual introductory get to know you session. I'm leaving it there because my regular therapist should be back by the end of the month. The university counselor was able to connect me with another university department that helps out students struggling with severe health issues, so we'll see how that goes.

Peer therapy is complicated for me because I have a bunch of piles of extra poo poo going on, so there's maybe like one peer support group in Canada that I keep missing the once monthly meetings for. There's probably some support groups for people dealing with COVID aftereffects but I've been in that circle already and it was pretty yikes.

Thanks to vyelkin for the grad school specific advice, and the stuff about work-life balance sure does ring true.

I'm doing a bit better, and I didn't miss that class this week (didn't do the readings but baby steps). Oh, and I got my meds adjusted when I was finally able to get in touch with my family doctor.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I just wanted to say, kudos to you for taking all of those steps! Mental health is frustrating for me. When I need help the most, I feel the least like actually reaching out. I hope grad school ends up being a positive experience.

Chuka Umana posted:

Started a job at a psychiatric hospital this week and I'm already wanting to quit. The level of misconduct and incompetence in that facility is incomprehensible, and I researched on Google and disability rights advocates have condemned the place as well as it having been put on probation by the state regulator. I thought I was signing up to take part in counseling and helping other addicts and people in a rough spot, instead I got paperwork and taking out the loving trash gently caress my life. Doesn't help I was put in the most unit with the most aggressive patients to start.

Also, I feel like this deserves a response but I'm mostly speechless. You and the patients deserve so much better. It sounds like the whistle is being blown, but no one's really listening. Maybe you can document your experiences and send them to the state regulator?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I get anxious about inviting people to stuff, or even calling attention to myself. I hope you go and have fun regardless of their response!

I'm enjoying the Shatterpoint audiobook. It's very different from the cute Star Wars novels I read as a kid.

I ended up going with my brother and my roommate, which was nice but since no one else responded it didn't really address my primary fear that no one is really interested in me. It is genuinely nice that you're enjoying my book recommendation though!

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Chuka Umana posted:

loving hell, I'm sorry CU. As someone who had to visit such places (in the professional capacity rather than the client), I know first hand poorly run mental health inpatient facilities are one of the closer examples we have to Hell on Earth, which is one of the reasons I'm extremely hesitant to go to one voluntarily and am actively terrified of being sent to one involuntarily.

Ronwayne has issued a correction as of 23:36 on Oct 9, 2021

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Arivia posted:

hey i kept meaning to post in here but didn't get around to it, but thanks to everyone for the advice i was given

I've signed up with student accessibility services at my university, and they should be able to help. I saw a counselor (RSW) also through the university, and it was good to do an hour of therapy even if it was the usual introductory get to know you session. I'm leaving it there because my regular therapist should be back by the end of the month. The university counselor was able to connect me with another university department that helps out students struggling with severe health issues, so we'll see how that goes.

Peer therapy is complicated for me because I have a bunch of piles of extra poo poo going on, so there's maybe like one peer support group in Canada that I keep missing the once monthly meetings for. There's probably some support groups for people dealing with COVID aftereffects but I've been in that circle already and it was pretty yikes.

Thanks to vyelkin for the grad school specific advice, and the stuff about work-life balance sure does ring true.

I'm doing a bit better, and I didn't miss that class this week (didn't do the readings but baby steps). Oh, and I got my meds adjusted when I was finally able to get in touch with my family doctor.

That's great, I'm glad to hear things are looking up!

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Update on work: I'm probably going to quit tomorrow, don't even want a paycheck from this place, I don't want their money. The staff have no idea what they're doing since no one I've met in either the office or the floor have worked past six months, patient privacy is basically out the window as everyone uses their phones, the floors are chronically understaffed. On Saturday I was sent home early cuz I had such a visceral reaction to how poor of a state the facility was in. I was weeping for the patients after walking into the unit I was training on and the other staff there had their loving airpods in texting and listening to music. I'm told every other psych hospital is like this, so if that's true I'm getting out of this field. I thought I was going in to help people. I'm not just going to be complicit in a company building their facilities out of maximizing insurance/medicaid money extraction from the patients.

By the way should every patient in the unit be knocked out on sedatives/antipsychotics by 4pm?

Chuka Umana has issued a correction as of 03:08 on Oct 11, 2021

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Chuka Umana posted:

Update on work: I'm probably going to quit tomorrow, don't even want a paycheck from this place, I don't want their money. The staff have no idea what they're doing since no one I've met in either the office or the floor have worked past six months, patient privacy is basically out the window as everyone uses their phones, the floors are chronically understaffed. On Saturday I was sent home early cuz I had such a visceral reaction to how poor of a state the facility was in. I was weeping for the patients after walking into the unit I was training on and the other staff there had their loving airpods in texting and listening to music. I'm told every other psych hospital is like this, so if that's true I'm getting out of this field. I thought I was going in to help people. I'm not just going to be complicit in a company building their facilities out of maximizing insurance/medicaid money extraction from the patients.

By the way should every patient in the unit be knocked out on sedatives/antipsychotics by 4pm?

From what I gather it depends on the severity of the patients disfunction / danger to themselves and others. I have family that work in the field and for some people the best treatment the mental health field has to offer is to keep them sedated pretty much all the time. Of course, even then they're obligated to let them go as soon as they're lucid enough to request it, usually resulting in them getting dragged back by cops a few days later once they're psychotic again.

It's not as challenging, but maybe see if you can move to a facility that's more about socializing less severe cases? To me it's a horribly insufficient system, but having a friendly face around certainly can't hurt.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I quit today. The final straw was when I went to see my psychiatrist and he was telling me how awful the facility was and how he'd never send patients there. He told me to look for something easy like retail or a receptionist job while I wait to start grad school.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Chuka Umana posted:

I quit today. The final straw was when I went to see my psychiatrist and he was telling me how awful the facility was and how he'd never send patients there. He told me to look for something easy like retail or a receptionist job while I wait to start grad school.

Good. You could report them too. Might be good to have the authorities take a look at that place.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

thehandtruck posted:

Good. You could report them too. Might be good to have the authorities take a look at that place.

I have a friend of a friend who works in a disability NGO. Told them to do another surprise inspection.

I'm kinda depressed that I'm out of a job not gonna lie. I have a BA (from the best university in the state) to my name but that's it in terms of resume.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That is a tough spot, I agree, but please do not hurt yourself just to build a resume.

Pete Buttigeig is an example of the kind of creature you get when someone devotes their entirely life to building the perfect resume.

I might be an extreme example, but I've found the most happiness when I fell out of the workforce entirely and even though it loving sucks trying to get food and disability and medication, I'm far less miserable than when I was working and trying to "build a career". I am less miserable making $0 a year beyond what I can beg for than I was making $60,000 and wanting to die.

At the end of the day there are ways to live, that are not entirely awful, that don't involve an endless parade of classes, certifications, and long hours worked with awful people.

Don't worry about wasting your life if you're not building a career, the parts of my life I think were most wasted were working, especially in awful situations I felt I had to continue in.

Ronwayne has issued a correction as of 23:11 on Oct 12, 2021

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Ronwayne posted:

That is a tough spot, I agree, but please do not hurt yourself just to build a resume.

Pete Buttigeig is an example of the kind of creature you get when someone devotes their entirely life to building the perfect resume.

I might be an extreme example, but I've found the most happiness when I fell out of the workforce entirely and even though it loving sucks trying to get food and disability and medication, I'm far less miserable than when I was working and trying to "build a career". I am less miserable making $0 a year beyond what I can beg for than I was making $60,000 and wanting to die.

At the end of the day there are ways to live, that are not entirely awful, that don't involve an endless parade of classes, certifications, and long hours worked with awful people.

Don't worry about wasting your life if you're not building a career, the parts of my life I think were most wasted were working, especially in awful situations I felt I had to continue in.

I just wanted to thank you for saying this. I know quite a few people in a similar situation. Taking care of your mental health is a full-time job!

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

gently caress everyone who encourages self destructive, miserable behavior because if you don't do it "It'll look bad on your resume/bad for your career". Its like the career is the actual person and me, I'm just a vestigial attachment to it like one of those anglerfish.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ronwayne posted:

gently caress everyone who encourages self destructive, miserable behavior because if you don't do it "It'll look bad on your resume/bad for your career". Its like the career is the actual person and me, I'm just a vestigial attachment to it like one of those anglerfish.

I think a lot of people encourage kids to do things that will make them unhappy because it will give them a better future, which in my experience never pays off

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

There's a difference between making kids eat their vegetables and get their vaccines vs making them study four hours a night and driving them relentlessly to get 4.0 gpa at top schools.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I'm definitely talking about the latter part

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

DoubleDonut posted:

I think a lot of people encourage kids to do things that will make them unhappy because it will give them a better future, which in my experience never pays off

The kids I went to school with who had been given a lot of opportunities but kind of forced into them are all either burnouts or millionaires nothing in between

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010
Very real talk going on rn.
People in your life (even the well intentioned ones) will try to influence your choices in ways they think will be good for you; even if they can't fully explain why, you can listen to them if it makes sense to you or reject their thinking if that's what you need to do.
It's important to approach big life decisions with as much of any open mind as possible and focus on what's ACTUALLY the best thing for you , because you are the only one that can say what's best for you.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

DoubleDonut posted:

I know a lot of people who were upper class kids who excelled in high school but then college hit and they burn out in a haze of weed and beer. I know some professionals who strove all their lives to get their graduate/professional degree and then burn out when they realize there's nothing there in the upper class.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I got a degree and about 20 years of work history before I snapped. It just really was one final awful boss who humiliated me constantly, gave no raises beyond a 2% CoL and told me I was getting too old to hire and they could get a new grad from Brigham Young Uni whenever they wanted before I realized this whole 'work' thing was a scam that was never going to get better. After half a dozen mental breakdowns over the years the message finally got through.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I have no future but at least I don't have crushing student loan debt. lol.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Shifty Nipples posted:

I don't think bourgeois students have college debt.

Fortunately I was able to pay off my student debts with a $250,000 settlement from Pizza Hut after one of their workers had the runs in the tomato sauce of one of the pizzas I ordered from them.

Chuka Umana has issued a correction as of 02:02 on Oct 14, 2021

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I knew I couldn't afford grad school, and I was banking on the federal student loan forgiveness program. Even if I had actually landed that big-boy professional public service job of my dreams and met all of their requirements, it sounds like they would have never payed out anyway.

It's kind of incredible how much time, effort, and money people expect you to put into proving that you're worthy of being exploited.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I avoided college debt by basically spending almost as much time in the financial aid office and other scholarship and benefits programs as I did in class.

The really messed up thing is that it is the most useful skill I learn at college because knowing how to do federal paperwork is keeping me alive and seems to be the only way forward for me :negative:

Ronwayne has issued a correction as of 05:16 on Oct 14, 2021

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Shifty Nipples posted:

i have 200k+ in student loans, haven't paid back a cent, and if civilization collapses before i do that means i got away with stealing an education :getin:

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
I moved to a tiny town in the middle of the desert and got a job delivering pizzas instead of trying to get another bullshit white collar thing. It feels pretty good to have made a move of my own volition (everything in my life before this has been either a proscribed path or a reaction) and "owning" that is keeping me pretty responsible. Still working on getting a apt but the rent is cheap and even staying in a hotel for a few weeks has been affordable (if not comfortable or secure).

Chuka Umana posted:

I don't think bourgeois students have college debt.

Fortunately I was able to pay off my student debts with a $250,000 settlement from Pizza Hut after one of their workers had the runs in the tomato sauce of one of the pizzas I ordered from them.

I don't usually recommend people eat poo poo but I think anybody would take that deal.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i have 200k+ in student loans, haven't paid back a cent, and if civilization collapses before i do that means i got away with stealing an education :getin:

Living the dream and hedging your bets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

Shifty Nipples posted:

There is an unintended implication here that if you have a reason to be depressed that you have no control over you should either learn to convince yourself to be happy or just learn to deal with being broken.

(Sorry I missed this and forgot about it and then remembered it.)

This is a gross mischaracterization of my post, but maybe I have a blind spot so I will engage in earnest. The bolded part is very much true. It's painful but it is exactly what I meant, in the exact way that you're unhappy with. If someone goes in to therapy lamenting the loss of a leg, and they have exhausted all remediation possibilities, the therapist's job truly is to help them learn to deal with being broken. I wouldn't use the phrase "being broken" because I have a fundamental disagreement with you about the nature of being human, but "being broken" suffices here. A therapist cannot heal or regrow the leg. The loss of the leg has huge implications that impact every single activity of that person, and it also reaches into their very core and identity. That person can take medication for the rest of their lives, and it will indeed dull the mental anguish, but it will also dull their joy. I personally do not think that is an equitable trade for the majority of cases, but someone else might and that's fine. Therapy and the like helps people come to terms with "being broken" (again, your phrase not mine), which will hopefully bring some kind of healing and acceptance, and then hopefully growth and happiness.