Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

JordanKai posted:

Zero Mission should've been #1 over Fusion. :arghfist:

Honestly it makes sense, the intro of dread starts with "Boy, a whole bunch of wacky stuff sure happened in Metroid Fusion, huh? Wonder what that was all about"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Well I beat the final boss!

I was able to consistently get to the flying stage with full health and then would just get reamed. It's crazy how many movement options this game has because I was watching a video of the final boss and watched them slide under the boss and I was like "oh right I don't have to screw attack all the time I guess." Once I got a little more practice dodging I beat him the first time I made it to the last phase of the fight.

So overall even though I finished with 100% I still would have liked to see a difficulty selector, even if it's a simple "enemies do less damage/have less health situation. The Elite Chozo before the final boss takes a full tank of energy per hit for god's sake.

My only other complaint is the (admittedly rather few) parts where your path back is permanently blocked, forcing you to take a longer route any time after. Stuff like the grapple blocks and thermal doors. Once we have the power bombs we should really be able to just destroy them.

Really solid game. Maybe my favorite Metroid? It's been a while since I played Fusion or Zero Mission so I'd love to get them on Switch and give them a go again. I loved the story and can't wait to see where it goes. Gonna go through the thread and click all the spoiler tags I had been avoiding. Even though my loving Google feed spoiled the Metroid suit on like day two by suggesting the Metroid wiki page for it.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

There are two spots for me where the map was no help.

E: Below is pretty explicit if these are what you're missing, so if what you want is literally just a hint: check the map. Have you seen every corner of every room you've visited, and are there any one-way doors whose other side you haven't seen, hinting at the existence of a hidden room somewhere?

Both on the right side of the area, near the purple teleportal. In the room below that one, there's a couple of hot zones that appear on the map, but in the lower right corner there's a destructible block that reveals a door to another room which does not appear on the map. There are two upgrades there. Another likely culprit is the big room a couple doors to the right of the teleportal room; there is an upgrade in the top right corner in a spot that the map autofill misses if you don't space jump up there.
Quoting this incase I want to read the spoiler later but I'll try to find this honourably. Thanks for the advice.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

Why would they, joycons can waggle as well

Pro Controller. I guess it has gryo too, but Prime 3 had more motions then just waggle.

Galaxy in the 3D All Stars collection did have the spin mapped to a button as an alternative.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Man, rewatching a lot of these scenes after finishing the game once is definitely something.

Personally this makes Raven Beak even more memorable to me because my god, he had no shame in "ADAM" telling Samus how great Raven Beak is

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

MechaX posted:

Man, rewatching a lot of these scenes after finishing the game once is definitely something.

Personally this makes Raven Beak even more memorable to me because my god, he had no shame in "ADAM" telling Samus how great Raven Beak is

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kYTqE8alJM

I think Dread speed runs will naturally be my source of entertainment for decades to come.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I hope Prime 4 nails the way Samus's weapons felt in Prime 3. Spewing out nova beams felt super cool with how they were bright green and every shot was irregular and just melted every enemy it hit.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I just gained access to Dairon, but I'm seemingly stuck without anywhere to go? The beginning of Dairon has blocks that I can't blow up and everything in Cataris is now locked off and I'm unsure what to do. I have the Charge Beam and there's one of those blocks with 3 switches that you shoot to fill up different bars but I can't seem to do anything with that either. Any hints?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

All done. Final boss is pretty darn doable all things considered.

The Metroid suit rules

Edit: 12:12, 100%

ZeeBoi fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 14, 2021

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I’m now thinking it would be kinda cool if they had a game where you could play as an EMMI. Or even multiplayer, where someone could be Samus, and the other could be the EMMI.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 14, 2021

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

sigher posted:

So I just gained access to Dairon, but I'm seemingly stuck without anywhere to go? The beginning of Dairon has blocks that I can't blow up and everything in Cataris is now locked off and I'm unsure what to do. I have the Charge Beam and there's one of those blocks with 3 switches that you shoot to fill up different bars but I can't seem to do anything with that either. Any hints?
dairon is the correct destination at this time, you should explore more thoroughly there

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Nevermind

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Humerus posted:

My only other complaint is the (admittedly rather few) parts where your path back is permanently blocked, forcing you to take a longer route any time after. Stuff like the grapple blocks and thermal doors. Once we have the power bombs we should really be able to just destroy them.

Unless there's a way that I just cannot find at all even after getting 100% items, there's no way to get from the east half of the forest zone back into the west section without going to the water zone and taking the elevator up. One path is blocked by a Wide Beam box you had to move, and the only other connection is a trap floor that you fall through.

I love the game, but this drives me a little mad.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

a.p. dent posted:

stuck again after getting space jump. i keep thinking the game wants me to go into cold areas early but clearly that’s not the case. just can’t figure out anything else to do. also JUST GIVE ME GRAVITY SUIT COME ON

The best part about this is in my hardmode run space jump was almost the LAST upgrade I got.

Finished hard mode just now, sequence broke to get the grapple/bombs early for the utter hilarity that is the kraid one-shot, and got the cross bombs/gravity suit almost immediately after getting speed booster. Man those underwater sections can loving suck it. 5:44:11 at 67% and I wasn't even really trying for sub four-hours. I think I'm pretty done with the game as a whole though. 16 hours of total play time was not that bad.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Blaziken386 posted:

Well, on the bright side, I've learned that cutscenes don't count toward time at all
on the less bright side...

:negative:
i literally can't kill the final boss any faster

Hi buddy!

I feel you. Hell I saw I had a whole 30 Minutes on the in-game timer in the save file menu right before the final boss and thought oh hell yeah I've got this in the bag!

Of course they count cutscene and credits time. OF COURSE. :suicide101:

WElp time to try... again...

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer posted:

Hi buddy!

I feel you. Hell I saw I had a whole 30 Minutes on the in-game timer in the save file menu right before the final boss and thought oh hell yeah I've got this in the bag!

Edit: Just went to move my save and I accidentially went with spot 3 which had my 100% normal mode save. Yeah I'm gonna go play something else y'all have fun!

EDIT EDIT: QUOTE IS NOT EDIT.

I've been triple owned!!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stop spinjumping you rear end in a top hat I'm trying to shinespark

No don't grab the ledge God drat it

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Stop spinjumping you rear end in a top hat I'm trying to shinespark

No don't grab the ledge God drat it

Try inputting shoot and jump, or shoot slightly before the jump. Also try not to hold a direction while doing that input? (but start holding after so you shinespark in the desired direction.)

It's definitely a little tricky.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Lastdancer posted:

Hi buddy!

UGH whelp, yeah I guess I'm not making 4 hours then either. At about 1:50 a few minutes after getting the speed booster. Don't see how I can get up to the final boss by 3:30.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

boss spoiler

dude, am i doing something wrong in this Giant X fight in Cataris? i must've pumped like 150 ice missiles into this fucker, and he still won't die??? his purple wind bullet hell thing loving SUCKS and i feel like the parry timing on his bite attack is slightly off. gently caress. this. boss.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

boss spoiler

dude, am i doing something wrong in this Giant X fight in Cataris? i must've pumped like 150 ice missiles into this fucker, and he still won't die??? his purple wind bullet hell thing loving SUCKS and i feel like the parry timing on his bite attack is slightly off. gently caress. this. boss.

probably either you're not shooting the boss during the melee counter scene or you're leaving the tentacles alive when it goes into its healing phase

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

boss spoiler

For that boss I think you have to destroy at leaast two of its limbs with storm missiles when it grabs the wall. The wind section is a chance to shinespark quick kill if you want to be spicy, but I would just normal run and try to get the jump/space jump timings down first. The counter I think is less timing than you have to be right under it, at least that's what worked for me. If you do it successfully (and maybe some other condition since I've done it right but not gotten the full scene) you get a big cutscene to slam even more missiles directly into its head. Keep at it, my failed runs looked like complete poo poo until I suddenly got an almost completely clean one that went super smooth.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

boss spoiler

he heals when he plants his hands around the walls, if you don’t destroy them quickly with storm missiles it will prolong the fight. also the timing for the parry is easy, he always does it right after the laser reaches the bottom of its arc, you don’t even need to wait to see the flash just get in his face and let it rip when the laser is done moving

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

edit: nevermind, found hidden shootable blocks

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 14, 2021

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

finally beat that bastard after an hour of trying

cluster rockets made a *huge* difference.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Venuz Patrol posted:

probably either you're not shooting the boss during the melee counter scene or you're leaving the tentacles alive when it goes into its healing phase

yeah, i was leaving the tentacles alive. i forgot about the storm missiles. how did you guys know he was healing?

e: i don't know if i missed something, but it didn't occur to me at all that the boss was healing when he did that. that was really poorly communicated imo, and really made that fight frustrating. was there another boss or enemy that healed before that point? seems like an odd mechanic to throw in with no warning or visual cue.

KrunkMcGrunk fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 14, 2021

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SgtSteel91 posted:

edit: nevermind, found hidden shootable blocks

new thread title

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I forgot to grab a screenshot, but did anyone else notice before you fully power Dairon, you can spot a clone tank that looks like it has Draygon in it? It's gone forever once you activate the generators though

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I forgot to grab a screenshot, but did anyone else notice before you fully power Dairon, you can spot a clone tank that looks like it has Draygon in it? It's gone forever once you activate the generators though

I did, and I also noticed that a lot of the underwater rooms like like Fusion's

e: Also lol at "It's been like an hour and the X have eaten the planet. Also, hell froze over. Well good luck with that."

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 14, 2021

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

sigher posted:

When you enter the left most room with the blocks you can't break, go to the door, and look up. Had me for a bit, too.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It took me way too long to realize that the red shielded chozo warrior's black laser is scripted to hit you no matter what if you fire a missile, even through slides and shifts, but never will if you just shoot the plasma beam

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

It took me way too long to realize that the red shielded chozo warrior's black laser is scripted to hit you no matter what if you fire a missile, even through slides and shifts, but never will if you just shoot the plasma beam

I only used missiles, and he just shoots where you're standing? :confused:

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Are my controls just messed up? I'm facing the second EMMI where you have to use the omega spray to break its head shield, but when I'm L-targeting it seems like I can only fire straight forward (over its head) or at a 45* angle. It's not a problem inside the room where I killed the boss, just once I'm out in the corridors. The sharp angle gives me about 1 second of effective firing before it grabs me, which has been pretty darn frustrating.

I tried using different controllers, and re-calibrated them just to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious, but the problem persists :(

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
So what's the deal with Samus being a daughter of Beak? Was that an expression? Was that the Chozo that she grew up with? I seem to remember it being someone else...
The cutscene also has her in the test tube, so at first, I thought that I was playing as some sort of clone, but I guess she was just experimented on during her youth?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Vookatos posted:

So what's the deal with Samus being a daughter of Beak? Was that an expression? Was that the Chozo that she grew up with? I seem to remember it being someone else...
The cutscene also has her in the test tube, so at first, I thought that I was playing as some sort of clone, but I guess she was just experimented on during her youth?

I assumed he meant he was the source of her Chozo DNA. And presumably he's had this sort of plan for her from the beginning.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I only used missiles, and he just shoots where you're standing? :confused:

He delayed the shot until I was stationary or fired it twice immediately if the first managed to miss. If I missiled once and shifted or slid he just waited until it finished regardless of what I did. Once I stopped firing missiles in his third phase he only hit when I slipped and ran into it. Is he not supposed to do that?

Also you 100% should be able to grapple the first phase

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 14, 2021

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Vookatos posted:

Grey Voice wasn't the only source of Chozo DNA for her transfusion, Raven Beak decided/demanded he should contribute as well, probably after the Chozo decided to make Samus a "living weapon for galactic peace" or whatever they called her.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
sadly, though I saw the prompts, I've never grappled the shield chozo. I just used missiles from start to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Vookatos posted:

Metaphorical and Raven Beak was egotistical enough to declare Samus as his daughter just because she had his DNA. Old Bird and Grey Voice are seen for a brief second in the flashbacks, so those two are still Samus's real dads.