Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

First Poster Shooter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

Mosquitos are an important food source for many feathered, furred and finned friends

According to Nature, if every mosquito species died tomorrow there'd be no real impact ecosystem-wide. They don't really make for a huge part of major insectivore diets, bats have mosquitos as like 1 or 2 percent of their food.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Mosquitos are also pollinators too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Death to Mosquitos

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
But what's with the hate for seagulls D:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

I was in Brighton once and a seagull stole my ice cream cone straight out of my hand.

The fucker.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Hedrigall posted:

they poop on you and steal your food when you're busy trying to enjoy a relaxing day at the beach!!! And the noises they make are very annoying!!!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Sounds like there’s an apex species at the beach and it’s not humans :smugbird:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hedrigall posted:

Sounds like there’s an apex species at the beach and it’s not humans :smugbird:

:yeeclaw:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Mosquitos are also pollinators too.

Not to an extent where they'd be missed, according to ecologists :shrug:

Basically they're trash animals. And not the good kind like raccoons.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Leal posted:

I'm a lawful good paladin and if I don't get to kill the orc babies I walk

I'm a lawful good paladin, and I won't let you kill the orc babies.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Tunicate posted:

Mosquitoes are a great case study that you could be a complete trash fire of a person without being a nazi or alt right

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Stroop There It Is posted:

they poop on you and steal your food when you're busy trying to enjoy a relaxing day at the beach!!! And the noises they make are very annoying!!!

gently caress your eating at the beach?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Paladinus posted:

I'm a lawful good paladin, and I won't let you kill the orc babies.

your Lawful Good patron is disgusted with your actions and smites you.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

gently caress your eating at the beach?
A lobster roll, because I'm a goddamn Masshole. :wrongcity: You better loving bet it's cold and on the correct kind of bun.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Why would I eat food on the beach like a peasant when I could simply retreat to my beachside mansion to enjoy whatever my chef has prepared before heading back to the waves again after lunch

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Tunicate posted:

According to Nature, if every mosquito species died tomorrow there'd be no real impact ecosystem-wide.

If that were true, why does God keep them around?

loving idiot

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A lobster roll, because I'm a goddamn Masshole. :wrongcity: You better loving bet it's cold and on the correct kind of bun.

I think you read my post very, very wrongly.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

If that were true, why does God keep them around?

loving idiot

god is horny for mosquitos

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The thing is the way people treat D&D is like if people played Skyrim first and then refused to play any other video games but Skyrim, you show them Metroid or Crusader Kings or Minesweeper and they're all 'But I already know how to play Skyrim, let's just mod Skyrim'.

Or the people who refuse to eat anything but chicken nuggets and/or fries

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The thing is the way people treat D&D is like if people played Skyrim first and then refused to play any other video games but Skyrim, you show them Metroid or Crusader Kings or Minesweeper and they're all 'But I already know how to play Skyrim, let's just mod Skyrim'.

I could eat a lot of chicken nuggets and/or fries right now ngl

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Counterpoint: Who gives a gently caress if somebody else only eats chicken nuggets? Leave them alone.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Boy howdy I can't get enough of this saga.

People are having fun talking to each other, and that's fine.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
There is an immense difference in effort and commitment required between playing a single player game on your pc/console and getting an RPG/wargame campaign together with other people.

People like the things they like, and if they can conveniently enjoy that thing they will. It's unfortunate if you want to play something else, but it's not a flaw of other people or the game.

Lovely Joe Stalin has a new favorite as of 02:21 on Oct 14, 2021

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Me: *playing Skyrim with friends every weekend and having a great time while we eat chicken nuggets and fries and just revel in the joy of lifelong bonds being forged in these, the darkest of times*

Goon: “wow have you heard of Metroid and vegetables? :smug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

Me: *playing Skyrim with friends every weekend and having a great time while we eat chicken nuggets and fries and just revel in the joy of lifelong bonds being forged in these, the darkest of times*

Goon: “wow have you heard of Metroid and vegetables? :smug:

M&V 3.5 or 4?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I think you read my post very, very wrongly.
I assumed you meant, "(what the) gently caress (are) you[r] eating at the beach?" and then assumed Finns don't eat at the beach. Mostly because I could not grok anyone siding with seagulls on their bullshit.

So, yes.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

sometimes they get the models wrong

and you can't go back

I assumed you meant, "(what the) gently caress (are) you[r] eating at the beach?" and then assumed Finns don't eat at the beach. Mostly because I could not grok anyone siding with seagulls on their bullshit.

So, yes.

I love seagulls precisely because of their terrible attitude

like you fuckers don't deserve everything you get

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You don't eat at the beach because it attracts loving seagulls who will poo poo all over everyone and everything.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i hope you all die drowning in a mixture of seagull and canada goose poo poo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The punch line is more that D&D is actually on the more complicated side for RPGs and nearly everything else is at worst the same difficulty or easier to learn and run, but people basically imprint on it and assume everything else is too weird and hard

It's more like when you want to go out to dinner literally anywhere but your friends shoot down everything except going to McDonald's and getting chicken nuggets

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i started tabletop rpgs playing Pathfinder and it was fun.

then i played DnD 5th edition and it was also fun

then we played MORK BORG and it's been incredibly fun

games are fun

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

And they also kill literal hundreds of thousands of human children a year with malaria, and I am not aware of any species that ONLY eats skeeters, so I'm sure something else could fill the gap as food source

That's right, I'm cancelling mosquitos

e: vvv thank u for yuor support 🙏

good recent news, theres a malaria vaccine that got approved , assuming Zuck and Jack's shithole websites dont

*they ruined it*

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

My eyes glaze over when I see a D&D character sheet more complex than whatever non-martials get like at 10th level. With Pathfinder that complexity threshold lowers to about level 6? My only exposure to Pathfinder is actually via Kingmaker but if that's what the tabletop game is like then I'm out.

I touched Shadowrun once and will never do so again. Cyberpunk RED just squeaks over the line of what I consider too complex to bother with.

I actually really like Lancer and Fragged Empire a lot but those are all in on being hex- and grid-based tactics games first and foremost so I can parse stats and abilities by what they mean on a defined battle map. Their math is also less fiddly, I find the numbers a lot easier to wrangle than D&D's. They make up for it by being complex (and in Fragged's case, obtuse), in other ways.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yes I play Battletech and think D&D is too fiddly.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Pathfinder is 3.5e for people who didn’t think there was enough minmaxing to begin with. That’s fine for those folks but 200% too far for me.

My friends all just play 5e and that’s cool but I wish they’d pick up a copy of Traveller or FATE or Spirit of the Century or something one day.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You don't eat at the beach because it attracts loving seagulls who will poo poo all over everyone and everything.

it's like complaining about yellowjackets at a barbeque or ants at a picnic

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The punch line is more that D&D is actually on the more complicated side for RPGs and nearly everything else is at worst the same difficulty or easier to learn and run, but people basically imprint on it and assume everything else is too weird and hard

It's more like when you want to go out to dinner literally anywhere but your friends shoot down everything except going to McDonald's and getting chicken nuggets

okay are you giving out chicken nuggets or not :v:

Shifty Nipples has a new favorite as of 03:10 on Oct 14, 2021

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Xarbala posted:

Yes I play Battletech and think D&D is too fiddly.

At least Battletech is upfront that the entire game is a single battle and half your evening will be spent rolling on location tables and effect charts.

...assuming you are both already fluent in the rules. If not, add another two hours of calculating modifiers and arguing about line of sight.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Traitors, the lot of you!! You've given in to seagull terrorism!!!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yes I do and I'll fight them every goddamn time

Shifty Nipples posted:

it's like complaining about yellowjackets at a barbeque or ants at a picnic
I already said I'm a New Englander, we complain that water is wet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Xarbala posted:

I touched Shadowrun once and will never do so again.

You hosed up, look at this and tell me it isn't sick (if you like 80s battletech, you can't)