Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's the objective truth. City dwellers, and Children need an appreciation of the work that goes into keeping themselves in comfort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A revolution comprised of the agriculture sector armed with super advanced mecha fighting against capital interests would be awesome, yes. Especially if they get to foment a growing insurrection among the low income working class in the cities who have their wealth exploited by rich plutocrats.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Arc Hammer posted:

A revolution comprised of the agriculture sector armed with super advanced mecha fighting against capital interests would be awesome, yes. Especially if they get to foment a growing insurrection among the low income working class in the cities who have their wealth exploited by rich plutocrats.

I think King Gainer had some of that..? Like, not in specifically that fashion.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The Colonel posted:

i think tomino had two sides of his brain and those sides were at war with each other and it took until turn a for both sides to make peace so he could give us normal shows, like wings of rean

Wings of Rean is based on the original light novels that Tomino wrote at the same time he was doing Dunbine. They are pure uncut 80’s Tomino.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Maobile Suit Gundam: Yan'an Blooded Cadres.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I hope the red head guy is Brad of "Brady Hound (Brad Custom)" fig fame

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Two episodes in. And the second episode was about how kids these days need to learn how good it feels to do an honest day of farm work, which isn't any kind of morally wrong, but it definitely has some "Old man yells at cloud" energy.

after Muteking ep2 i don't think this even rates for me on the old man scale

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I hope the red head guy is Brad of "Brady Hound (Brad Custom)" fig fame

I'm pretty sure he is, yes. He's being set up as the show's Graham Aker, the American(ish) enemy ace who respects the protagonist. I'm betting his custom will be one of the mook suits modified to have a pilot, to experience the thrill of combat or somesuch.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

this is like responding to a two pages back post now but i'm gonna watch the poo poo out of l-gaim. thanks mecha thread!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

this is like responding to a two pages back post now but i'm gonna watch the poo poo out of l-gaim. thanks mecha thread!

Don't worry about responding late to that one. It's always time for L-Gaim.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

chiasaur11 posted:

Two episodes in. And the second episode was about how kids these days need to learn how good it feels to do an honest day of farm work, which isn't any kind of morally wrong, but it definitely has some "Old man yells at cloud" energy.

i mean, thats still like.... 1/12th of a show :v:

that bit just sounds a bit hashtag Boomer for the moment, but maybe by ep 20 or smth it'll get Too Much

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
For those that care, Brawin Powered is getting a BD release

https://twitter.com/SUNRISE_web/status/1448990424744534018

Also Tomino wants to remake Brain Powered with movies and admits the show isn't well made, although given his age I sadly don't think this will happen (He said the same thing about remaking Ideon and nothing ever came out of it)

https://twitter.com/Char_Tweet/status/1448978838516482050

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
God drat, I still haven't had time to start orguss. But I did have time to get hooked on the OP and do a deep dive on Casey Rankin. Crazy story.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

God drat, I still haven't had time to start orguss. But I did have time to get hooked on the OP and do a deep dive on Casey Rankin. Crazy story.

Orguss sadly doesn't live up to its OP and ED. Broad outline stuff about it sounds amazing, but the show itself doesn't hold up so well. Orguss II felt much stronger. (And I finished that)

Speaking of bad shows, we're two or three episodes into this season's mech anime, and Megaton Musashi is making its play for the bottom of the list. While Kyoukai Senki is dull and has a poorly sketched (at best) setting, Megaton Musashi goes for broke with tonal incoherance. The latest episode opens with the murder of a pilot who we never met and the mission control woman shooting herself with some kind of needle that may or may not be medically necessary(?), before having an assassin after the hero... which turns into an extended gag as she fails to kill him, then tries to defend her stalking as her being in love with him. Then we get a random scene of a background character hitting on her teacher, another random background character falling in love for the first time with a cat(?) and weird AI tutorial lady getting invented, who exposits about the gameplay... I mean robot operation.

Megaton Musashi is a game tie-in, and that's easy to pick up on even if you never saw the articles, because it has so much that feels like game mechanics. For the most obvious narrative one, it's got the crew of full time mech technicians, pilots, and the like also having full time jobs in the city so you can do the Persona style "wandering the city improves your mech combat stats", but you also get the formatting, the way the mech fights, the description of the job... it's not a game representing anime fights. It's anime fights representing game mechanics.

And again. That cat scene had nothing to do with anything else in the episode. Apparently the cat dies or is wounded or something next episode and that motivates the weird background guy to pilot a mech better? Or something?

I'm not shocked that this is bad and confusing, it's a Level 5 anime after all, but some of the tonal decisions are just baffling.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
So does that make muv luv alternative the best mecha anime this season by default? I like the world building so far, but the tonal change going from ep1 to 2 is quite something.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

AtheistMantis posted:

So does that make muv luv alternative the best mecha anime this season by default? I like the world building so far, but the tonal change going from ep1 to 2 is quite something.

I'm really enjoying Gyakuten Sekai no Denchi Shoujo and Kyoukai Senki so far.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AtheistMantis posted:

Nah. This is an absurdly mech heavy season by modern standards, and Muv Luv's second episode was really awkward.

I'd say the current leader is 86. Solid story, great directing and animation, and source material that strongly reduces the odds of outright crashing and burning.

Sakugan had a strong opener and didn't stumble too hard with episode 2, so it's got a chance if it doesn't get creepy or boring, and Gyakuten Sekai no Denchi Shoujo has a pretty strong team behind it in addition to a clever first episode, but, well. 86 has been good enough that catching up isn't going to be easy.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Muv luv is dq'd for how badly they mailed the designs. And for how badly they're going to mangle the plot.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Not to mention their use of NFTs:
https://twitter.com/KaroshiMyriad/status/1449946151629688836

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love the VN of Muv Luv so much at I'm just astounded at how spectacularly the anime is falling on its face. This doesn't bode well for the sequel VN they announced last year.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Has there ever been a good Muv Luv adaptation? I recall the Unlimited anime being not great either.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Has there ever been a good Muv Luv adaptation? I recall the Unlimited anime being not great either.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic but there is no Unlimited anime. That's part of the problem, they just jumped straight to adapting what's effectively part 3 of a trilogy.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Bakanogami posted:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic but there is no Unlimited anime. That's part of the problem, they just jumped straight to adapting what's effectively part 3 of a trilogy.

No that was me just being stupid, I was thinking of Total Eclipse.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Rumble Garrandoll continues to be exceptionally entertaining to me, has a LOT of Akiba Ranger vibes, and though the main conceit of the season is pretty obvious main character embracing the hot-blooded passion of his youth despite whatever trauma made him start being a normie I'm still excited to see it really kick off.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pyronic posted:

Rumble Garrandoll continues to be exceptionally entertaining to me, has a LOT of Akiba Ranger vibes, and though the main conceit of the season is pretty obvious main character embracing the hot-blooded passion of his youth despite whatever trauma made him start being a normie I'm still excited to see it really kick off.

We also see that the impossibly powerful enemy mecha is actually just on strings like a suitmotion actor, which is perfect, and the female lead gets a good speech about why she's doing what she's doing that fits both the goofy and the more serious parts of the narrative.

Good start.

Meanwhile, Kyoukai Senki is doing the same rough beats with the hero joining the resistance, but everything is much, much worse. Sure, it has 2D animation for the mechs but it wasn't as smooth as IBO or the same studio's best scenes in Re:Rise. And that's all it has, since the characters are dull as they come. It has the protagonist join a terrorist group, but they're about the least rough-around-the-edges resistance fighters, with only one guy as much as going "Hey, Joe Civilian might not be the best pilot for this job" (in the most boring, cliche, edgelord wannabe way with no actual proper edge to it), and nobody going "Is he a plant", "We're going to have to check some things", "We can't let you run free for a bit" or any of the other standard points of friction that make the hero joining a rebel cell tense. (Garrandoll goes with the tension being on the protagonist's side, but Amou isn't the type to make interesting trouble.) And then their pilot was talking about how he might have to pilot the new mech when he already has a mech. Maybe let someone else pilot, you know?

It's a bad show, and it feels way too watered down so far to make its themes work. Despite being a series where Bandai's explicitly said the kits are for older builders, the writing is childish.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tribladeofchaos posted:

No that was me just being stupid, I was thinking of Total Eclipse.
Schwarzesmarken was also pretty rushed - the original novels are extremely dense political thrillers more than BETA action things. Total Eclipse was fine but not amazing, but it was also dealing with source material that fit that description and could actually be described as mostly beta action things.

If anything, I think the Muv-Luv material most suited for an adaptation would be Day After, since it's mostly standalone but has more meat to its bones without being as dense as Schwarz. But they probably wouldn't get a season 2 and the original TDA VNs still aren't complete, so.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Willo567 posted:

For those that care, Brawin Powered is getting a BD release

Also Tomino wants to remake Brain Powered with movies and admits the show isn't well made, although given his age I sadly don't think this will happen (He said the same thing about remaking Ideon and nothing ever came out of it)

Oh holy hell!

As janky as Brain Powered is, I still loved it. Yoko Kanno's music, Mamoru Nagano's art, Tomino's writing ended up crystalizing in a really odd-but-cool way for me.

edit- Also, I'm pretty sure they straight-up lifted audio from TRON for one of the characters jetski thing for some reason

Queadlunn fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 25, 2021

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Dear hack-assed writers of Kyoukai Senki: it is not possible to do a good version of Lalah/Four when the characters relationship is established around minute 16 of episode three and then promptly killed in the cold open of episode four. Putting aside whether doing another Lalah/Four character is even a worthy thing to be trying to do in the first place (I guess I'm not surprised that a show like this was chomping at the bit to throw a woman in a refrigerator, but still, deep deep deep sigh.), it helps for the emotional impact if the protagonist has properly interacted with the sacrificial woman for more than literally two scenes. If they barely knew each other and the woman freely and frankly admits she's getting close to the dude in large part because it is literally her job, then having a bit where the protagonist screams for 30 seconds at the dusky sky just makes me roll my goddamn eyes. Triply so because they are apparently hanging an entire story arc on the death of this minor character. Hate to break it to you guys, but the reason it worked in Gurren Lagann was because Kamina was a force of personality from minute one and he was functionally the motivator for the plot right up until his death.

Also, considering the age gap and their dynamics my reaction was less "Lalah Soon" and more one of the multiple victims from Gundam AGE.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Champing at the bit

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Weekly updates on mediocrity love to see it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm fully baited by the preview, since it seems to promise some view of what the occupation is like and is superficially similar to when Roybea goes back home to visit his friend's grave

total snoozer this week though, aside from the evil mech having the astounding power to kitbash with anything on the battlefield

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Dear hack-assed writers of Kyoukai Senki: it is not possible to do a good version of Lalah/Four when the characters relationship is established around minute 16 of episode three and then promptly killed in the cold open of episode four. Putting aside whether doing another Lalah/Four character is even a worthy thing to be trying to do in the first place (I guess I'm not surprised that a show like this was chomping at the bit to throw a woman in a refrigerator, but still, deep deep deep sigh.), it helps for the emotional impact if the protagonist has properly interacted with the sacrificial woman for more than literally two scenes. If they barely knew each other and the woman freely and frankly admits she's getting close to the dude in large part because it is literally her job, then having a bit where the protagonist screams for 30 seconds at the dusky sky just makes me roll my goddamn eyes. Triply so because they are apparently hanging an entire story arc on the death of this minor character. Hate to break it to you guys, but the reason it worked in Gurren Lagann was because Kamina was a force of personality from minute one and he was functionally the motivator for the plot right up until his death.

Also, considering the age gap and their dynamics my reaction was less "Lalah Soon" and more one of the multiple victims from Gundam AGE.

A Lalah or a Four is a decent plot beat, although it's been overused in the genre. "Lovers both united and torn apart by war" is a good way to illustrate the original Gundam's idea of human connections that transcend all boundaries, and it creates a very personal kind of guilt. Sure, killing Four wasn't as essential to the plot as killing Lalah, but a Zeta where she survived would almost necessarily be a much more upbeat show overall, which gets into a very different set of questions.

Meanwhile, this is just more general purpose fridging, which isn't nearly as good a narrative move. Even a really well executed example, like in Iron Blood Orphans, feels rough because it's killing off a woman primarily to motivate a male character, and this isn't well executed. We barely knew the girl, and she obviously only existed so the lead would feel sad. It's empty.

One thing that stands out about Kyoukai Senki is how it refuses to consider efficiency. It introduces characters that leave the stage almost immediately. Instead of having important characters introduced in episode 1, then built up in episode 2, we get characters in focus, then discarded. It's inefficient even aside from questions of narrative merit.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 26, 2021

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

chiasaur11 posted:

A Lalah or a Four is a decent plot beat, although it's been overused in the genre. "Lovers both united and torn apart by war" is a good way to illustrate the original Gundam's idea of human connections that transcend all boundaries, and it creates a very personal kind of guilt. Sure, killing Four wasn't as essential to the plot as killing Lalah, but a Zeta where she survived would almost necessarily be a much more upbeat show overall, which gets into a very different set of questions.

Meanwhile, this is just more general purpose fridging, which isn't nearly as good a narrative move. Even a really well executed example, like in Iron Blood Orphans, feels rough because it's killing off a woman primarily to motivate a male character, and this isn't well executed. We barely knew the girl, and she obviously only existed so the lead would feel sad. It's empty.

There's also the fact that Lalah was a character that added to an already established rivalry between two characters (Amuro and Char) that gave both of them new dimensions both through interacting with her and against each other. Lalah brought out a different side of Char than we'd seen before, his interaction with her put him in a mode besides his previous faces of "extremely competent and professional Zeonic soldier" and "backstabbing sneak", and Lalah's interactions with Amuro was a way for the show to explore some of the trippier aspects of being a Newtype in a way that was resonant with themes of the show.

And she caused movement between Amuro and Char, Lalah made their rivalry personal in a way that it hadn't been before. Prior to Side 6 and Lalah, Char and Amuro had never met each other face-to-face, and even after that point it wasn't until she died that I would say the two of them were truly fighting "each other". To Amuro, Char was only ever the scary pilot in whatever red mobile suit was menacing him at that moment, and to Char his rival was only ever "the Gundam", a machine not a person. Lalah meant that their final battle wasn't between "the Gundam" and "The Red Comet", it was between the characters Amuro Ray and Char Aznable. That final sword fight they have at the end of the show would not have happened without Lalah Soon, and that says something because it is a really important scene to those characters and to the original series of Mobile Suit Gundam and to the franchise as a whole for as long as those characters have existed.

Meanwhile, whatsherface is a nobody character who existed to give the main guy some man pain.

I'm not going to pretend what happened with Lalah wasn't problematic, that she wasn't shoved in a refrigerator, that there weren't some sketchy optics on it, that it doesn't suck she became a character archetype for a legion of imitators across the franchise and even the genre that rarely if ever were used particularly well (I brought up Gundam AGE for reason), but at the very least Lalah Soon had a LIFE before she died and she had a legacy that extended beyond making a guy sad. And putting absolutely everything else aside, isn't that what the death of the character is supposed to do? I guess nobody told the Kyoukai Senki writers that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

There's also the fact that

I'm not going to pretend what happened with Lalah wasn't problematic, that she wasn't shoved in a refrigerator, that there weren't some sketchy optics on it, that it doesn't suck she became a character archetype for a legion of imitators across the franchise and even the genre that rarely if ever were used particularly well (I brought up Gundam AGE for reason), but at the very least Lalah Soon had a LIFE before she died and she had a legacy that extended beyond making a guy sad. And putting absolutely everything else aside, isn't that what the death of the character is supposed to do? I guess nobody told the Kyoukai Senki writers that.

Lalah had agency in her death, too. It wasn't her getting killed randomly to motivate Char. She chose to dive between Char and Amuro to protect the men she loved, even at the expense of her own life.

Lalah's life and her death mattered, and she continued to influence the plot beyond her death. Meanwhile, this character... doesn't.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/macross-plus-movie-edition

Who's going?

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
I probably will, even if I have to seal myself in my rain gear and motorcycle helmet.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Oh I just saw it's the subbed version too. I was gonna say I don't prefer the dub but would still see it anyway, but hell now I can go in with only the disappointment that it isn't the cut that adds all the OVA and Movie content together.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I want this stupid plague to be over so I can go watch movies in theaters.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is it sacrilege to say that I think the English version of Voices in Macross Plus is better than the Japanese one? Like the only lyric that stuck with me from the Japanese track is "the last word in my dream is "hmmm" because of how silly it sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes