Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Yeah it’s not hard find empty shelving in an active and well stocked store. They constantly move poo poo around and reorganize! But honesty isn’t really a part of their decision making is it?

oh in the UK we do actually have massive empty shelf space because the supply chain is broken. And it won't be fixed till after Christmas at the earliest. I'm pretty sure the Tories are working off a plan that says 1. Sacrifice population of UK 2. ??? 3. ??? 4. Profit???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Regarde Aduck posted:

oh in the UK we do actually have massive empty shelf space because the supply chain is broken. And it won't be fixed till after Christmas at the earliest. I'm pretty sure the Tories are working off a plan that says 1. Sacrifice population of UK 2. ??? 3. ??? 4. Profit???

The important thing is that it's coming Home.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

gbut posted:

It's interesting how inflation permeates everything except minimum wage.

Look it's just econ 100. Labor is elastic, materials and rent aren't. Please don't point out the fact companies literally negotiate both of those all the time.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
lmao

Christopher Columbus in his Journal posted:

“Should your Majesties command it, all the inhabitants could be taken away to Castile [Spain], or made slaves on the island. With fifty men we could subjugate them all and make them do whatever we want.”

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

Yeah, there is a really noticeable shortage of random things. The supermarkets are trying to hide this by putting out lots of what they have in stock to disguise the fact that some items are missing.

And that's definitely Priti Patel's plan.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

sugar mouse posted:

Yeah, there is a really noticeable shortage of random things. The supermarkets are trying to hide this by putting out lots of what they have in stock to disguise the fact that some items are missing.

And that's definitely Priti Patel's plan.

The same thing is going on in a lot of the US as well. It's not nearly as noticeable or as bad as the UK, but there'll be random weeks where there's just no Coke in the store, or you can get cans of green beens but no corn.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Detheros posted:

Lmao $14/hr is nothing in Iowa let alone Texas.

Source: Me making $14/hr in Iowa for years.

If it's rural Texas then it's decent tbh. There's compounding reasons why that dude is stupid.

I'm in a city in the west and we pay around 900 for a spacious, new 2br apartment with a pool (and soundproof walls!) Less than a room in the Bronx lol. For chud texans driving your lifted F150 around the suburbs of DFW counts as "rural" though so I'm not gonna extend the benefit of the doubt for this captain of industry.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If it's rural Texas then it's decent tbh. There's compounding reasons why that dude is stupid.

I'm in a city in the west and we pay around 900 for a spacious, new 2br apartment with a pool (and soundproof walls!) Less than a room in the Bronx lol. For chud texans driving your lifted F150 around the suburbs of DFW counts as "rural" though so I'm not gonna extend the benefit of the doubt for this captain of industry.

Somewhere in the thread he says he's in Canton, which is about an hour outside of Dallas. :lol:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
https://twitter.com/JoeRhisga/status/1448235358798454787

Fellas is it gay to wave? Have you been excessively waved at by your parents, and how did it ruin you?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

you know how it goes. excess waving leads to excess actually caring about your kid. slippery slope

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Wave too much and you start to flounce.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's actually gay to have parents at all.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
The GAYS ARE AT AGAIN!! LOOKIT THE SOY CONTINGENT

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Gonna write for the WSJ because my patients friends daughter got loving owned so bad online for making racist jokes she had a panic attack lol

quote:

My psychotherapy patients often ask me why so many children are struggling emotionally. The answer is complicated and multifaceted, but it’s become clear that one important aggravating factor is the inflexible, rigid and vicious cancel culture that has swept across our educational system and the country. Children can’t thrive in environments like this.

From a developmental perspective, adolescents are highly susceptible to harsh criticism. This seems to be hard-wired in the brain: A neuroscience paper published in Nature observes that brain regions involved in “social reward processing, emotion-based processing, regulation, and mentalizing about others” are underdeveloped during adolescence, which the authors define as “approximately ages 10-22.” That helps explain “sensitivity to online rejection, acceptance, peer influence, and emotion-loaded interactions in media-environments” in teens.

As a therapist, I see many young people who are deeply perfectionistic and worried about their image, both online and in person. Because social media is everywhere, adolescents are constantly in a state of high alert about any criticism or rejection, and online communities amplify this beyond what some are biologically capable of handling.

Cancel culture makes the problem much worse. One of my patients told me a story about her daughter, a college student, who made a tasteless racial joke at a friend’s expense. She instantly regretted it, and the friend soon forgave her. But another student overheard the joke and reported my patient’s daughter to the dean, who removed her from a student-leadership position and told her she’d be expelled if she told another bad joke.

It got worse. The eavesdropping student posted about the joke on social media, and other students bullied my patient’s daughter online so severely that she ended up in the emergency room with a panic attack. None of this brutish treatment was necessary for her to learn the lesson of her mistake.

School-sanctioned shaming and a social media free-for-all of bullying leave teens and young adults constantly walking on eggshells, afraid to express heterodox opinions in class, among peers or in schoolwork. Making mistakes and learning from them is an important part of young people’s development. It’s how they grow to accept themselves as well as others—if peers and people in authority show them empathy, tolerance, patience and kindness. Terrorizing young people is no way to teach them sensitivity and respect.

Ms. Komisar is a New York psychoanalyst and author of “Chicken Little the Sky Isn’t Falling: Raising Resilient Adolescents in the New Age of Anxiety,” forthcoming Oct. 19

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

When children complain of receiving racist or homophobic abuse, this same person probably says something about how "everyone gets teased sometimes".

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

bullying someone for their race: ok
bullying someone for bullying someone for their race: not ok

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

bullying someone for bullying someone for bullying someone for their race: again ok

:thunk:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

as long as a white kid isn't crying it's ok
what a strange pattern
so mysterious what could it mean

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
My first twitter suspension. :toot:

I commited the heinous crime of agreeing with Charly Kirk. He said something about how all his followers should get Covid as it was just a flue and then they would be immune. I just said something on the lines of "this is a great idea, Charly Kirks followers should do what he wants here".

Apparently that was enough to be harrassment.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Back to Superman being Bi, my only problem with it is im wondering how long is it going to last? Because stuff like this tends to not stick around.

Best case scenario is when the writer changes hands, we forget that he's suppose to be bi and never mention it again.

BigRed0427 has a new favorite as of 16:00 on Oct 14, 2021

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Here, have the most insufferable and also pathetic thing I've read in ages: HELP! I couldn't stop writing fake Dear Prudence letters that got published

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
Speaking of white fragility, does NYT Magazine count as social media? Because I think stalking someone to the NYT is some real next level poo poo.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/05/magazine/dorland-v-larson.html

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

How could it be fixed?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

Didn’t one of the tabloids run an article about triumphing over the EU because the EU agreed to some of the terms over importing sausages?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
what about bullying bullies from Buffalo that bully bullies from Buffalo ?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1447928839779278852

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Watched the video and the kids don't even get shot.

Zero_Grade posted:

Here, have the most insufferable and also pathetic thing I've read in ages: HELP! I couldn't stop writing fake Dear Prudence letters that got published

quote:

Though Dear Prudence has run in Slate since 1997, the role of Prudie was assumed in 2015 by Daniel Lavery — co-founder of the feminist website The Toast and author of a book about famous literary characters texting — who transformed the column into something of a tribunal, doling out po-faced judgment to guilty white cishets for crimes of allyship.

Of course the author would be a dude called Bennet Madison

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 16:52 on Oct 14, 2021

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

How to say you didn't have a normal childhood, without saying you didn't have a normal childhood.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

^^^

We used to play this under the name "Red Queen, One, Two, Three". I'm sure every single country has its own version of it.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Is the idiocy that kids already played Red Light, Green Light before Squid Game? Because it sounds like the Singaporean kid is saying 무궁화 꽃 이 피었 습니다 then pretending to shoot the others, so I'd say they were in fact inspired by it.

Douche Wolf 89 has a new favorite as of 16:48 on Oct 14, 2021

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zero_Grade posted:

quote:

Sometime at the tail end of 2018, shortly after abandoning yet another draft of what was supposed to be my fifth Young Adult novel,

quote:

She operated under the thinking that Yale undergrads were the most common perpetrators of fabulist letters, and, for a time, refused to publish any letter bearing a New Haven postmark. This suggested to me an erotic glamor: I imagined dormitories full of muscular undergrads lounging around in their undies and collaborating on phony scenarios before hitting the showers together to celebrate their labor.

:commissar:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

This episode is from the season where Tony cheats on Carmela with at least three different women, not to mention killing at least one person. But yeah, we're supposed to agree with him.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sure but like, the concept of red light green light isn't hard to understand, I never played it as a kid but we had, for example, musical chairs which is similar.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

This episode is from the season where Tony cheats on Carmela with at least three different women, not to mention killing at least one person. But yeah, we're supposed to agree with him.

reminds me of Bobby talking about native Americans in that episode

"I wouldn't mind sitting around all day smoking mushrooms and collecting government checks!" *everyone laughs*

*camera cuts to a wide shot of the crew sitting on their fat asses in front of Satriales*

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

BigRed0427 posted:

Back to Superman being Bi, my only problem with it is im wondering how long is it going to last? Because stuff like this tends to not stick around.

Best case scenario is when the writer changes hands, we forget that he's suppose to be bi and never mention it again.

This reminds me of Gail Simone's run with Batgirl when the New 52 started around ten years ago. Barbara had a trans roommate and I remember it being done rather well. Then Gail left and another writer took over, and the very first panel of their first issue was the roommate saying goodbye while driving away in a van because she was moving away forever.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Those kids have 100% never played Red Light Green Light before seeing Squid Game memes on their phone or tablet. They play phone games at recess and lunch unless they're playing sports or on the jungle gym or trading cards.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Pope Corky the IX posted:

This reminds me of Gail Simone's run with Batgirl when the New 52 started around ten years ago. Barbara had a trans roommate and I remember it being done rather well. Then Gail left and another writer took over, and the very first panel of their first issue was the roommate saying goodbye while driving away in a van because she was moving away forever.

Gail Simone is the Dolly Parton of comics. Excellent at her job and also a big old sweetheart.

Danny Lavery is a fine writer, but he was absolute crap as Dear Prudence imo. Advice columns aren’t for everyone.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

AlbieQuirky posted:

Gail Simone is the Dolly Parton of comics. Excellent at her job and also a big old sweetheart.

Yeah and most of her tweets belong in the opposite of this thread.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BigRed0427 posted:

It's not Clark Kent, no one is going to shove Jon back into the closet, except for in the sense eventually Superman will be Clark Kent and they may just stop using Jon Kent as a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Isn't there a subforum for this sort of discussion that isn't this thread?

CONTENT!