Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Free Games: free jpegs of old computer hardware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if you want to buy an nft of it instead i can dm you my paypal

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I'm only into NFTs of 3DMark99 benchmark runs

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

my gpu has 3 fans on it and even that is extreme now.

this motherfucker needs like is own custom case. nothing on the market now would fit it

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

It's possible I'm being oblivious, but you guys all know that thing is a joke, right?

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

George RR Fartin posted:

It's possible I'm being oblivious, but you guys all know that thing is a joke, right?

What, Quake XI: Murder simulator is not a real game??????

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My uncle works at id software and gave me a demo of quake xi

No you can’t play it

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
You kids these days with your one graphics card. You don't know the struggle of having to have your 2D card and a 3D Voodoo card.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Medullah posted:

You kids these days with your one graphics card. You don't know the struggle of having to have your 2D card and a 3D Voodoo card.

The Voodoo 2 was the poo poo!
I miss Diamond Multimedia.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Bit Boys

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I had a voodoo 3 3000... AGP I believe.

Is it just me, or do computers not need to be upgraded as quickly anymore? From about the mid-90s I recall having to update the GPU/CPU/RAM or something every year or two, but for the last many years I only occasionally start to 'fall behind the tech curve'

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

JustJeff88 posted:

I had a voodoo 3 3000... AGP I believe.

Is it just me, or do computers not need to be upgraded as quickly anymore? From about the mid-90s I recall having to update the GPU/CPU/RAM or something every year or two, but for the last many years I only occasionally start to 'fall behind the tech curve'

it's not just you. you can confirm your suspicion by looking at a 2010 game vs a current year game and a 1990 game vs a 2000 game. you can talk back and forth about the upper limits of silicon atoms and all of that - and you'd be right, to some extent anyway, that's one of the primary reasons why raw Ghz stopped going up and more cores got added instead - but just as much as anything else there's a general disinterest in increasingly more fidelitious graphics or whatever if it comes at the cost of a game doing something well. the indie scene has helped counterbalance that by proving how well a loving run of sprite styles can go over. combine that with processors more or less settling at 3-and-change Ghz a core and game makers generally not wanting to seriously double down on multithreaded programming (most game makers are not hard core tech nerds) and you have a bit of an entente until the next major breakthrough like quantum whatevers comes through and we see another 20-year run-up to the limits of whatever that can do.

and - honestly - fine and good. the graphics races of the 2000s were incredibly tiresome to me. let there be games for games' sake, not for polygon count or lens flare's sake.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Coolguye posted:

it's not just you. you can confirm your suspicion by looking at a 2010 game vs a current year game and a 1990 game vs a 2000 game. you can talk back and forth about the upper limits of silicon atoms and all of that - and you'd be right, to some extent anyway, that's one of the primary reasons why raw Ghz stopped going up and more cores got added instead - but just as much as anything else there's a general disinterest in increasingly more fidelitious graphics or whatever if it comes at the cost of a game doing something well. the indie scene has helped counterbalance that by proving how well a loving run of sprite styles can go over. combine that with processors more or less settling at 3-and-change Ghz a core and game makers generally not wanting to seriously double down on multithreaded programming (most game makers are not hard core tech nerds) and you have a bit of an entente until the next major breakthrough like quantum whatevers comes through and we see another 20-year run-up to the limits of whatever that can do.

and - honestly - fine and good. the graphics races of the 2000s were incredibly tiresome to me. let there be games for games' sake, not for polygon count or lens flare's sake.

I think that, on the PC, the proliferation of retro/classic games has had an impact on that. On consoles, manufacturers and game makers are desperately trying to pretend that old beloved games and hardware don't exist for fear of cannibalising their current crap. On PC, that's not really possible and people embrace and imitate retro games all the time.

I think that the lack of backwards compatibility in consoles is more of a choice than a financial limitation. After all, there is no money for Sony etc when people sell games secondhand.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it's nothing to do with pc hardware and everything to do with the fact that consoles are the prevailing medium and those are captured by 7 year lifecycles

not that i mind, how the gently caress would any person be able to manage a 1.5 lifespan on a gpu when they cost $400-2000 nowadays

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

site posted:

it's nothing to do with pc hardware and everything to do with the fact that consoles are the prevailing medium and those are captured by 7 year lifecycles

not that i mind, how the gently caress would any person be able to manage a 1.5 lifespan on a gpu when they cost $400-2000 nowadays

that's bs, consoles were WAY MORE the prevailing gaming medium in the 90s and 2000s eras before digital delivery platforms like steam etc standardized selling to PC consumers. it still didn't stop pc gaming from being a matter of 'that stuff you got 3 years ago is no better than the pus dripping from your boyfriend's dong after that business trip to san francisco he tells you not to worry about'

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Coolguye posted:

that's bs, consoles were WAY MORE the prevailing gaming medium in the 90s and 2000s eras before digital delivery platforms like steam etc standardized selling to PC consumers.
They still are if you discount the towering behemoth that is mobile, if Capcom's recent aspiration to get their PC game sales on par with their console ones is any indication.

Coolguye posted:

it still didn't stop pc gaming from being a matter of 'that stuff you got 3 years ago is no better than the pus dripping from your boyfriend's dong after that business trip to san francisco he tells you not to worry about'
...what are you talking about?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Kins posted:

i'm saying he got the clap :grin:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

ok i don't know where the gently caress this conversation is going now, let's veer back on course for free games

edit: i've spent literally ten minutes staring at that sentence trying to figure out what the hell it means and why you would say that

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 14, 2021

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The Kins posted:

New Super Metis posted:

edit: i've spent literally ten minutes staring at that sentence trying to figure out what the hell it means and why you would say that

A PC bought in the 90s and early 00s wouldn't be able to handle things made just 2-3 years later. A bit of a hyperbole, but some games did introduce new graphical inventions, that just slightly out of date cards wouldn't know what to do with.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Free games on various are like 90s 3D APIs, there's millions of them and everybody says theirs are better

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

THE BAR posted:

A PC bought in the 90s and early 00s wouldn't be able to handle things made just 2-3 years later. A bit of a hyperbole, but some games did introduce new graphical inventions, that just slightly out of date cards wouldn't know what to do with.

It's mad to me that my current PC that I bought in 2015 (and it wasn't the top hardware back then) is still perfectly fine for new AAA games. Last year I've upgraded my GPU from GeForce 980 to 2070 Super because old GPU just broke. 4k was problematic on the old GPU but everything was fine on 1080p. Now I remember my first PC from 1998 and how would it handle anything from 6 years later like Half-Life 2. Hell, it couldn't handle 1999 game Quake 3 because it didn't have a "3D accelerator".

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

My brother once completed Quake 2 on a laptop. With that little knob mouse thing. In software mode.

You had so much more spare time back then.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

THE BAR posted:

Pixel shading broke so many cards and hearts it was darkly hilarious

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Stubbs the Zombie and some junk for Paladins are free on EGS this week

Among the Sleep next week

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Coolguye posted:

Pixel shading broke so many cards and hearts it was darkly hilarious

Final Fantasy 7 on PC worked fine for me and then I got to the crater and wanted to see the end in even better 3d so I bought a new gpu and traded my old one to fund part of it.

Get home, install it, and now FF7 refuses to run and 25 years later I’ve still never killed Sephiroth.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

the GPU arms race of the early aughts was probably what ended up driving me to console gaming for a long time tbh, but with the jumps that have been made in more recent years with the smallification of technology making gaming laptops at least viable, i really don't see myself going back to consoles as a primary device.

dat bloodborne and death stranding director's cuts, tho...

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

repiv posted:

Stubbs the Zombie

Just in case anyone missed it under pc gaming chat under the last week of chat, this game was a sleeper hit/hidden gem that you really should play.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

pseudorandom name posted:

Those things benchmarked well, for their era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmCEXbspWuI

Holy gently caress, that's a real thing. I thought it was a photoshop.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Tormented posted:

It is. Someone created a prop to make it seem real as a joke. I got fooled once by this channel, since they have other benchmarking videos for fake GPUs and some with a bit more convincing names than "Bitching Fast".

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3iHV0NvLPI

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 14, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Tormented posted:

cornholio mark

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

In undergrad we got our hands on an old Sun 3Dlabs graphics card that the computer science department put up for salvage. It weighed a couple pounds and was too big to fit into a normal desktop.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

There's some pretty crazy cards out there these days but I think even this one, which to my knowledge is the most powerful available anywhere with 48 GB of graphics memory, can still fit in a standard ATX case

that one video with the comically large graphics card that caught on fire was pretty funny though

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/acce...XEaAi_PEALw_wcB

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nah, a RTX 3090 is still faster, the Quadro just has more ram for ~business use cases~

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah the 3090 has GDDR6X memory but the RTX8000 had to settle for vanilla GDDR6 in order to cram 48GB on there

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Play posted:

There's some pretty crazy cards out there these days but I think even this one, which to my knowledge is the most powerful available anywhere with 48 GB of graphics memory, can still fit in a standard ATX case

that one video with the comically large graphics card that caught on fire was pretty funny though

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/acce...XEaAi_PEALw_wcB

Walmart has them in stock but it doesn't package a free game with it so sorry thread.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Nah, a RTX 3090 is still faster, the Quadro just has more ram for ~business use cases~

Double floating point vs single floating point performance. It's difficult to express decimals in binary using powers of two as fractions, so many systems use a bounding approach. That is, 'the number we want is close to this binary fraction' . For games and many visual renderings, close enough is good enough, for a piece of machinery or many scientific calculations, numbers need to have more accuracy.

Also, ECC memory, often more of it, and a few other things also help depending on use case.

An equivalent Quadro chip often won't deliver the same gaming performance as its Geforce/RTX equivalent.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

cage-free egghead posted:

Walmart has them in stock but it doesn't package a free game with it so sorry thread.

That's absolutely baffling. They're also $2500 cheaper. Still, at least my 3080 has that sweet, sweet GDDR6X, and I didn't have to buy it from the same place that employed me to stock fruit for minimum wage.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Wow

Just imagine all the bitcoins it's mining in some dipshit's garage right now

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

Wow

Just imagine all the bitcoins it's mining in some dipshit's garage right now

considering the current mining difficulty the answer is not many. which just makes the entire craze funnier to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I didn't say faster I said most powerful, but it's true that it depends on what you're using it for. I don't really understand that stuff anyways so I shouldn't pretend that I do!

I just saw that card in this youtube video where they are making a PC version of the mac pro with the most ridiculous specs they could come up with and they put two of those things in it lol

cage-free egghead posted:

I know I'm sorry GPUs have very little to do with free games except that they can play them