Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
I thought it was intended as more of a Deer Hunter ending, though given it's success I can't imagine them not making Vronsky: Deer Hunter II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

hbag posted:

im 19 thats like asking me to not breathe

Welcome to the nursing home.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Buttchocks posted:

Welcome to the nursing home.

i only know of 2 other posters within my vague age range of "not old"
:negative:

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I’ve been browsing here longer than you’ve been alive… I gotta rethink some life choices.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Robobot posted:

I’ve been browsing here longer than you’ve been alive… I gotta rethink some life choices.

yeah. that gave me a bit of an "old person" moment too

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Life ends at 25 anyway so gently caress it

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
bunch of grandpas

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
hey now!

some of us are grandmas

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

the VIPs are a horrid combination of not interacting with any of the characters the previous episodes spent time building up and seriously godawful acting. their scenes seriously feel like random footage cut into the show for god knows what reason. the cop could at least act and served as a window into the mooks' experiences, whereas the VIPs i honestly couldn't tell if they were in the same show or just footage of dudes in masks that someone found in a bin.

core of the show more than made up for the weak points though, so whatever
it was seriously the only moment of the series that snatched me out of the moment and had me cringing. And then I see people saying it was on purpose and “payback” for all the bad Asian actors in western movies or something lmao what?

e: I totally get the reasons why they might have been bad and why Hollywood hasn’t been better, it’s just the defending of them and acting like it was deliberately bad that gets me.

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 13, 2021

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Paperback Writer posted:

it was seriously the only moment of the series that snatched me out of the moment and had me cringing. And then I see people saying it was on purpose and “payback” for all the bad Asian actors in western movies or something lmao what?

The perfect example of this being them being clumsily used to explain the final eponymous game rules... after we already had that done for us

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The Busan fish market scene in Black Panther was easily as cringeworthy as the VIP scene here; even the fishmonger lady who was supposed to be a Busan native obviously did not speak Korean. I wouldn't say that the VIPs were bad on purpose but Hollywood is definitely not any better when it comes to portraying foreign languages.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Finished the series yesterday. Got a lot of opinions and questions. Spoilers below:

Did the bomb by the ladder mean anything important? Apparently that ladder was an escape hatch for the VIPs? Do they even know how to scuba?

Where are the guards recruited from? Their barracks seemed more like a prison. I wonder if they're recruited from the players that didn't return. I feel like I should have recognized the guard who showed his face and got shot, maybe from the first episode photo booth or something.

I really liked the organ harvesting side hustle. The guards seem so privileged from the perspective of the players, but it seems like they're struggling to make ends meet too. I especially liked the line about no one cares if a guard goes missing, only if a player does.

What happened to the VIP guy who the cop got alone. Did any of the other VIPs even give a poo poo?

I liked the VIP acting. They sounded like bored, rich, narcissists who were drunk and high and trying to tease each other. I assumed the VIPs were game leaders from other locations. The hammy dialogue seemed really fitting for people so detached from the actual suffering going on. Who doesn't love a good 69 joke?

Is the salesman only in the first and last episodes? I thought he was one of the guys with the square mask.

Gi-hun is really lucky to turn down partnering with the math nerd for the marbles game.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Okay I tried out several recipes and this is it:

2 tablespoons sugar
A pinch of baking soda
Metal ladle
Chopstick
Silicone mat or parchment paper
Saucepan or something else flat bottomed to press
Cookie cutters in fun shapes

Put two tablespoons of sugar in a ladle

Heat ladle on medium low, constantly stirring with chopstick.

When it starts to melt, lower the heat to low

The moment the sugar melts completely, turn off the heat,

put in a pinch of baking soda, stir

Pour onto silicone mat/parchment paper

Count to 20

Press flat with saucepan or plate or something else flat

Press with cookie cutter, harder if you want it to be easier to crack correctly, lighter if you want it to be more difficult

Let cool to room temp

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 14, 2021

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Okay I tried out several recipes and this is it:

2 tablespoons sugar
A pinch of baking soda
Metal ladle
Chopstick
Silicone mat or parchment paper
Saucepan or something else flat bottomed to press
Cookie cutters in fun shapes

Put two tablespoons of sugar in a ladle

Heat ladle on medium low, constantly stirring with chopstick.

When it starts to melt, lower the heat to low

The moment the sugar melts completely, turn off the heat,

put in a pinch of baking soda, stir

Pour onto silicone mat/parchment paper

Count to 20

Press flat with saucepan or plate or something else flat

Press with cookie cutter, harder if you want it to be easier to crack correctly, lighter if you want it to be more difficult

Let cool to room temp

Quoting this cause I might use it for my Halloween party, thanks! :krad:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

YoursTruly posted:

Finished the series yesterday. Got a lot of opinions and questions. Spoilers below:

Did the bomb by the ladder mean anything important? Apparently that ladder was an escape hatch for the VIPs? Do they even know how to scuba?

Where are the guards recruited from? Their barracks seemed more like a prison. I wonder if they're recruited from the players that didn't return. I feel like I should have recognized the guard who showed his face and got shot, maybe from the first episode photo booth or something.

I really liked the organ harvesting side hustle. The guards seem so privileged from the perspective of the players, but it seems like they're struggling to make ends meet too. I especially liked the line about no one cares if a guard goes missing, only if a player does.

What happened to the VIP guy who the cop got alone. Did any of the other VIPs even give a poo poo?

I liked the VIP acting. They sounded like bored, rich, narcissists who were drunk and high and trying to tease each other. I assumed the VIPs were game leaders from other locations. The hammy dialogue seemed really fitting for people so detached from the actual suffering going on. Who doesn't love a good 69 joke?

Is the salesman only in the first and last episodes? I thought he was one of the guys with the square mask.

Gi-hun is really lucky to turn down partnering with the math nerd for the marbles game.

My guess is that the line about the bombs was setup for the next season. And the VIPs are rich, rich people go scuba diving in their private yachts, right? I don't know, I don't know any rich people :(

The guards being recruited from the people that chose NOT to come back sounds like a good theory. Those people are still deep in their necks in debt so they would be willing to do anything to get money so long as it does not involve playing the game themselves. Specially if when contacted, the Game recruiters subtly drop that they are still being watched, leading the ex-participants to think "well better to work with them instead of risking getting sent back to the Game or killed". The only problem with this theory is that people voting to stop the game would have to be a frequent ocurrence given the number of guards and the fact that only 14 people decided not to return for the current game.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The old and rich illuminati justified the games by saying all participants had a choice to be there and that it was all fair - the contestants chose to gamble with their lives in order to get the prize. But they never inform the participants that it's a death match before they start and in the very first game 200ish people die because they're shocked and suprised by this fact when people start getting shot to death. That was pretty weak tbh

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Got’em

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
Cool show and the nk babe was bangin.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okay crazy conspiracy theory time

The old man cheats at every game, right? I’m putting forth my theory that the old man faked his death at the end. He made a bet with Gihun, and when it looked like he was going to lose he pretends to die so that he never has to admit he lost.

He’s rich and spoiled and can rig things to cheat to win and this was no exception.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Collapsing Farts posted:

The old and rich illuminati justified the games by saying all participants had a choice to be there and that it was all fair - the contestants chose to gamble with their lives in order to get the prize. But they never inform the participants that it's a death match before they start and in the very first game 200ish people die because they're shocked and suprised by this fact when people start getting shot to death. That was pretty weak tbh

The first one is weak, but nearly everyone came back to play the later games.

About the dormitory: aren't all the games painted on the walls? They were when the last three are eating their meal. Were they there from the start?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

ilmucche posted:

About the dormitory: aren't all the games painted on the walls? They were when the last three are eating their meal. Were they there from the start?

Yeah, those are there the whole time. But you can't see them because the bunks are in the way

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Steve Yun posted:

Okay crazy conspiracy theory time

The old man cheats at every game, right? .

I don't think the old man cheats, except at the marble game. He could have rigged the gun-doll not to shoot him in the first game, but in the honeycomb game he picks the second hardest shape (star) and he licks the back like everyone else, and in the tug-of-war game there's no way he could have cheated.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I don't think the old man cheats, except at the marble game. He could have rigged the gun-doll not to shoot him in the first game, but in the honeycomb game he picks the second hardest shape (star) and he licks the back like everyone else, and in the tug-of-war game there's no way he could have cheated.

He rigged the robot to not shoot him. If you look at the first episode, the motion detector puts outlines on everyone but the old man

In tug of war, the locks holding his cuffs closed go missing

The man cheats

The moral of the story is that rich people all cheat

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Steve Yun posted:

He rigged the robot to not shoot him. If you look at the first episode, the motion detector puts outlines on everyone but the old man

In tug of war, the locks holding his cuffs closed go missing

The man cheats

The moral of the story is that rich people all cheat

The motion detector outlines the old man in the red light/green light game, I just checked. It's hard to see because it's green on green, but its there.

Someone posted one shot of the tug of war game where you couldn't clearly see the locks on his wrists, but if you go back ten seconds you can clearly see the locks present when he first falls down. Also, how would that even have worked? It would have been ludicrously obvious that he cheated, in front of everyone, if his whole team went over the edge and he didn't. The whole contest would have been blown.

There's no real reason to think that the old man is lying in what he reveals in the last episode. He cheated in the sense that he knew what was going on, and decided to bow out during the marble game rather than actually play, but he didn't directly cheat in his games.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Oct 14, 2021

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Collapsing Farts posted:

But they never inform the participants that it's a death match before they start
The wording of the contract they sign is pretty clear on that, would be weird that nobody took issue with that but the whole thing is largely symbolic so it's fine

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The motion detector outlines the old man in the red light/green light game, I just checked. It's hard to see because it's green on green, but its there.

Someone posted one shot of the tug of war game where you couldn't clearly see the locks on his wrists, but if you go back ten seconds you can clearly see the locks present when he first falls down. Also, how would that even have worked? It would have been ludicrously obvious that he cheated, in front of everyone, if his whole team went over the edge and he didn't. The whole contest would have been blown.

There's no real reason to think that the old man is lying in what he reveals in the last episode. He cheated in the sense that he knew what was going on, and decided to bow out during the marble game rather than actually play, but he didn't directly cheat in his games.

Hmm looks like you might be right. It’s a big thing around social media that he’s not colored in, but he’s just fainter than most others. And there are a few others who are also less green than the majority

Also it turns out the locks on the old man are visible for two or three frames, they’re just turned so they’re on the far side of the cuffs

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

The more I think about it, the more the old man twist annoys me and seems pointless. I don't think it added enough to the overall story or themes.

I would have preferred if he'd just been a sick old man, and had actually sacrificed himself in the marble game. Could have been a powerful moment if he'd decided to do it because he was given a chance by Gi-hun the previous games, when most others had ignored him and seen him as old and useless. To have a chance of solving some of modern societies problems like climate change, we're going to need people to make sacrifices to give future generations a better chance.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Every game had an 'out' for the Old Man. In Redlight, Greenlight he probably knew the intervals in advance. Like 3 seconds, 2 seconds, 3 seconds, etc. All you'd have to do is time your steps and you'd know when the robot was turning around. In the cookie challenge, for all we know he'd previously spent hours practicing on an umbrella shape before the competition. And for the tug-of-war he knew the winning strategy in advance. There was always a risk he'd lose or die during the killing night, but he had a crucial advantage every time.

He also opted out of the game before the one task he probably couldn't have physically performed (the bridge). I'm kind of surprised they didn't have at least one contestant jump to the right pane but then slide off because that's what would've happened to me.

EDIT: I have no idea what to spoiler and what to spoiler.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The complaining about the VIPs is amusing. Is it because they're American? They're speaking English but in a Korean dialect which tells me it's on purpose for the Korean/foreign audience to easily understand what they've saying.....but it's also funny. I think of most hyper rich dudes behind closed doors act like Tom Cruise on Oprah that time. nothing they did or said seemed implausible unless you're really naive.

The Old man did not cheat at all. Maybe he just decided after that interaction he wanted to see it play out and hoped Gi-Hun would win to talk to him later.

I hate how we live in a post-cinema sins world and literally everything has to be spelled out or plainly shown. I think the characters did not do stuff like walk on the rails in the bridge game is they either thought they'd be shot for cheating or were too far gone. After I forget how many days being stuck, no showers, very little lovely food and water, poor/no sleep, and that much trauma no I prolly would not think clearly.

The cop is not dead because the troupe of being shot in the shoulder off a cliff with no body floating is as old as time. he purposely didn't kill his brother. He did have that flash of him in the mirror, not as guilt for killing him, but guilt for doing what he doing and his brother finding out.

The red hair isnt my thing but I understand the vibe they went for.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

RBX posted:

The Old man did not cheat at all.

If the doctor having advanced notice of a game is cheating, then so is the old man. It might be stretching what you would call cheating, but it definitely gave him an advantage in a few cases.

He knew people were going to die in red light green light. Knowing what the stakes are and being able to steel yourself so you don’t freak the gently caress out the first time the guns go off, that’s a HUGE advantage.

Honeycomb I assume he played fair. He was the last on his team to pick a shape, so he didn’t so much pick as get assigned. And he didn’t have a strategy laid out to win, so maybe he had accepted that was as far as he was going to go? At least until the licking started.

Tug of war he played fair, except his prior knowledge of the game allowed him to instruct his team on how to win. That’s not really cheating though, because any of the players could have been good at tug of war as a kid. Could he have died? Probably. But he definitely used his knowledge of the game to give him the best chance of winning possible.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Concerning the old man:

He was 100% betting on not being picked for the marble game and disappearing that way, every game up until that point was easy for him to pass.

1. In Red Light Green Light the guards could simply not shoot him.

2. In the second game the guards could cover for him even if he hosed up, if he doesn't attract attention to himself nobody'll notice.

3. For the tug of war he has the knowledge on how to win as the game is not simply about strength. Tbf this is the most dangerous game for him regardless of this.

4. He did not expect to actually participate in the marble game but managed to fake his death regardless by playing on Gi-Hun's heartstrings. The front man decides to send the woman who doesn't get picked back to her bunk to maintain the illusion of fairness since morale is bound to be extremely low after the marble game.

Not exactly treading new ground here, I know.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

one thing that has been pissing me off for like a month now: So when the husband and wife group come back after the vote, and they know that everyone is going to die...and they both decide to go back? What was their dumb loving plan?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

GoutPatrol posted:

one thing that has been pissing me off for like a month now: So when the husband and wife group come back after the vote, and they know that everyone is going to die...and they both decide to go back? What was their dumb loving plan?

Not everyone realises that there can only be one winner. Now that I think about it that might not even be the case.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah, the only way even the audience knows there can only be one winner is from cop guy finding the book that lists the names of the winners. There are plenty of times throughout the contest that players talk about winning together.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

GoutPatrol posted:

I don't think they were told upfront that only one person could win

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tgent posted:

I don't think they were told upfront that only one person could win

Yep. Presumably they were extremely desperate and figured that by being a two person team they would be able to increase their chances of winning together. The game deliberately encouraged this line of thinking precisely because it would make the marble game all the more devastating.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
During the marble game, the old man hands Gi-hun an extra marble from his pocket. Seems like that may have been a safeguard to make sure he wouldn't lose? Gi-hun does turn in his 20 marbles while having one left over to use for the glass game.

During tug of war, one team had already won and gone back to the bunks. If the old man was caught escaping, the guards could have killed everyone, said each team slipped and fell simultaneously as an excuse, and the games would continue with just that one team left.

Edit: I'm really surprised no one tried to push each other off the cat walk on the way to/from the tug of war platform

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I think it's the marble game where everyone starts to realize there can only be one winner. There's a definite tonal shift. But even then Gi-hun never seems to fully accept what's going on. Like during the food fight, night fight, and Sae-byeok's death he still thinks the game master cares if people die outside the competition field.

Also I guess a lot of people are trying to do currency math in Google because 10000 and 46 billion auto-suggest 'won to usd'.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

Also I guess a lot of people are trying to do currency math in Google because 10000 and 46 billion auto-suggest 'won to usd'.

Basically how I watched the entire thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yes they really should've had a currency exchange in the subtitles for us foreigners.

YoursTruly posted:

During the marble game, the old man hands Gi-hun an extra marble from his pocket. Seems like that may have been a safeguard to make sure he wouldn't lose? Gi-hun does turn in his 20 marbles while having one left over to use for the glass game.

During tug of war, one team had already won and gone back to the bunks. If the old man was caught escaping, the guards could have killed everyone, said each team slipped and fell simultaneously as an excuse, and the games would continue with just that one team left.

Edit: I'm really surprised no one tried to push each other off the cat walk on the way to/from the tug of war platform

No he just kept that one in his pocket they didnt bother checking and just took the bag with 19.

Sammus posted:

If the doctor having advanced notice of a game is cheating, then so is the old man. It might be stretching what you would call cheating, but it definitely gave him an advantage in a few cases.

He knew people were going to die in red light green light. Knowing what the stakes are and being able to steel yourself so you don’t freak the gently caress out the first time the guns go off, that’s a HUGE advantage.

Honeycomb I assume he played fair. He was the last on his team to pick a shape, so he didn’t so much pick as get assigned. And he didn’t have a strategy laid out to win, so maybe he had accepted that was as far as he was going to go? At least until the licking started.

Tug of war he played fair, except his prior knowledge of the game allowed him to instruct his team on how to win. That’s not really cheating though, because any of the players could have been good at tug of war as a kid. Could he have died? Probably. But he definitely used his knowledge of the game to give him the best chance of winning possible.

Other people lived in Red Light, Green Light too. It's not like this was some hardened veteran lol. He was still a rich old man that had never been face to face with that stuff. He got lucky in marbles because the doctor got himself killed. there would've been even teams.

Vichan posted:

Concerning the old man:

He was 100% betting on not being picked for the marble game and disappearing that way, every game up until that point was easy for him to pass.

1. In Red Light Green Light the guards could simply not shoot him.

2. In the second game the guards could cover for him even if he hosed up, if he doesn't attract attention to himself nobody'll notice.

3. For the tug of war he has the knowledge on how to win as the game is not simply about strength. Tbf this is the most dangerous game for him regardless of this.

4. He did not expect to actually participate in the marble game but managed to fake his death regardless by playing on Gi-Hun's heartstrings. The front man decides to send the woman who doesn't get picked back to her bunk to maintain the illusion of fairness since morale is bound to be extremely low after the marble game.

Not exactly treading new ground here, I know.

The whole point of him playing is risking death, what's the fun with these backup plans. if he lost any of them he would've been shot like the rest or else players would notice