Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

OwlFancier posted:

I had been looking at that, it does look a lot better than civ in some ways, I didn't really enjoy civ 6 and gently caress if i'm paying for all that DLC.

What do you think of it thus far?

I have to butt in here and mention that to my extreme annoyance, Humankind took a lot of things from civ. Specifically, all those things that are bad about civ, like the tech tree. They put in two tech trees even, both extremely linear.

The more "gamey" civ became the less I liked it. Civ6 is basically unplayable without a mod that slows tech progression, but it's still just a rush to victory condition.

I started with Civilization 1 on the Amiga but nowadays I prefer Crusader Kings 3. It's not even close to the same game, but you can unify Ireland until there's no England left and that's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 4, 2005

Antigravitas posted:

I have to butt in here and mention that to my extreme annoyance, Humankind took a lot of things from civ. Specifically, all those things that are bad about civ, like the tech tree. They put in two tech trees even, both extremely linear.

The more "gamey" civ became the less I liked it. Civ6 is basically unplayable without a mod that slows tech progression, but it's still just a rush to victory condition.

I started with Civilization 1 on the Amiga but nowadays I prefer Crusader Kings 3. It's not even close to the same game, but you can unify Ireland until there's no England left and that's pretty cool.

Then you lose your entire empire except for the dutchy of cretinshire due to the succession laws being completely unintelligible

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/archeohistories/status/1446746186925293569

https://twitter.com/ryanfb/status/1447229702184312833

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Noxville posted:

You can’t grow avocado in this country though, you’d have to fly it half way around the world.

There isn't some magical attribute of avocados that means you can only grow them in California, ours often come from Spain. At what point do you draw the line of 'it has to be this local or not be used' because if every restaurant is reliant on literally their own back garden then no doubt that's very worthy but you're going to get some very limited food.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You can get them from a pub in Portugal as long as they pass the bar.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Guavanaut posted:

You can get them from a pub in Portugal as long as they pass the bar.

What you did there. I see it.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

feedmegin posted:

There isn't some magical attribute of avocados that means you can only grow them in California, ours often come from Spain. At what point do you draw the line of 'it has to be this local or not be used' because if every restaurant is reliant on literally their own back garden then no doubt that's very worthy but you're going to get some very limited food.

Why would it be limited food?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Total Meatlove posted:

Why would it be limited food?

Well a seafood restaurant might have limited options if they can only use the pond in their back garden to farm prawns

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Well a seafood restaurant might have limited options if they can only use the pond in their back garden to farm prawns

I went down a rabbit hole speculating on this last year, and it turns out you'd need a serious back garden to farm prawns at a level that would be worthwhile. Possibly if you live right on a sheltered bay you could pull it off

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

This really made me laugh.

This is good:

https://twitter.com/simonday24/status/1446089629862703111?t=sxoZJNqEuyxIWaQ8U52msw&s=09

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BelTel/status/1448589397767622656

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Wee Ian believes in a lot of things that aren't true.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah the EU are really looking like wimp-dick bureaucratic dweebs right now, responding to Johnson making GBS threads all over the agreement by...cutting 80% of NI border checks.

I get it, it's a hostage situation where Britain is holding a gun to NI's head and clearly does not give two shits how much they gently caress them over, whereas the EU and Ireland actually have good-faith commitments to the almost 2 million people in NI. Nevertheless, I'm really starting to wish that the EU was anything like the vindictive fascist autocracy of gammons' frothy imagination

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

It’s very strange that a government which constantly lies without consequence continues to lie without consequence!

But the paradigm that the UK Government Is Trustworthy must never be questioned, so let’s continue to assume they’re acting in good faith next time!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah the EU are really looking like wimp-dick bureaucratic dweebs right now, responding to Johnson making GBS threads all over the agreement by...cutting 80% of NI border checks.

I get it, it's a hostage situation where Britain is holding a gun to NI's head and clearly does not give two shits how much they gently caress them over, whereas the EU and Ireland actually have good-faith commitments to the almost 2 million people in NI. Nevertheless, I'm really starting to wish that the EU was anything like the vindictive fascist autocracy of gammons' frothy imagination

But the damage to the UK has been done, and NI is further away from them as they ever have been in the last hundred years.
The economic infrastructure has been strengthened over the last year between the outer-EU and Republic of Ireland, and with RoI and NI.
And the Tories and Don't Understand Politics can't have their wall now without major major blowback.
I would argue the EU 'won' this, Ireland is getting a poo poo more trade from the EU and will be able to send out more in return, and that won't be offset by ham sandwiches from Crewe being allowed to be sold in Belfast.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Oct 14, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

But the damage to the UK has been done, and NI is further away from them as they ever have been in the last hundred years.
The economic infrastructure has been strengthened over the last year between the outer-EU and Republic of Ireland, and with RoI and NI.
And the Tories and Don't Understand Politics can't have their wall now.
I would argue the EU 'won' this, Ireland is getting a poo poo more trade from the EU and will be able to send out more in return, and that won't be offset by ham sandwiches from Crewe being allowed to be sold in Belfast.

All true! But y'know, it would be cool to see Britain face direct diplomatic consequences for any of the bullshit it's pulled in the past... millennium?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There's still plenty of time to hit that 2024 reunification date, don't you worry.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

happyhippy posted:

And the Tories and Don't Understand Politics can't have their wall now without major major blowback.

It's not about Northern Ireland any more. The Tories have I think accepted it as lost, although they'll make the process of leaving the UK as hard and painful as possible out of spite. But the Irish already know they can have better and they'll go for it. The important thing for the Tories is stopping that before the rest of the UK gets a proper chance to see it. If we get to Christmas with half empty shelves on the mainland while NI has no problems at all, there's going to be ructions.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

All true! But y'know, it would be cool to see Britain face direct diplomatic consequences for any of the bullshit it's pulled in the past... millennium?

It would be cathartic to see them locked up in stocks and pelted with rotten fruit. But we know they will end up in the Lords and continue making GBS threads up the UK for decades to come.
But the UK will face consequences, but you won't know it directly probably.
They are the sick man of the world now, not just europe, everyone knows they can't be trusted on whatever the UK says they will do.
A lot of trade contracts will suddenly not be offered to them, or invites to things.
The UK will be paying through the nose for a lot of things other countries will freely cheaply trade with each other.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 14, 2021

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

happyhippy posted:

I still find this idea quite incredible that the DUP actually for real wanted to have a hard border again between Ireland and NI. Is this a real thing? Are there, say, some interviews somewhere where DUP people say (or hint) that yes they actually want(ed) a hard border? Or is it one of those things that everyone knows but which cannot be said aloud?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

jaete posted:

I still find this idea quite incredible that the DUP actually for real wanted to have a hard border again between Ireland and NI. Is this a real thing? Are there, say, some interviews somewhere where DUP people say (or hint) that yes they actually want(ed) a hard border? Or is it one of those things that everyone knows but which cannot be said aloud?

The DUP don't want a hard border with the EU because the one sensible thought they ever had was that they don't want to be blown up by the IRA. But at the same time, they don't want Northern Ireland being treated differently to any other part of the UK and they don't want to be in the EU. Their insanity is the belief that it is possible to have all three of these things.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
They don't want a hard border. They want Ireland to also leave the EU. Probably also want re-unifucation (not the good kind either).

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The DUP's only coherent demands are:

- Bridge to Scotland

- No.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

You have far more interesting dreams than I do, which are either nonexistent or occasionally me going to work naked while all my teeth fall out (which doesn't really bother me, I just wish I wouldn't dream about going to work or dentist bills) or occasionally being killed by some horrible monster or something.

It's odd because through most of the last 18 months I wasn't dreaming at all (well obviously I *was*, it's an incredibly bad sign if you're not, but I was just never remembering them) then over the last few months I was having relatively dull dreams, in that while they were often about remarkable things happening (the Queen dying, me getting lost in Amsterdam) they were all within the realms of "reality". For me these are often the scariest (and saddest) dreams because there's always a second or two when you wake up and have to readjust to the reality you're in (the several dreams I had about my parents or brother still being alive in particular).

However in the last month they've gone back to being full-blown technicolor weirdness to a level I normally only get when I'm giving up smoking (and let me tell you right now, you want the weirdest loving dreams you've ever had, fall asleep with the telly on and a nicotine patch stuck to yourself) and I often wake up laughing about them. I'm not particularly doing more than I was previously - in fact I know a lot of people have reported *more* vivid dreams through lockdown - so I'm really not sure what might have changed.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Failed Imagineer posted:

80% on food, 50% on manufactured goods. It's clearly an attempt to make a significant and very visible compromise while at the same time knowing (and telling everybody) that the UK will probably not accept it.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

The DUP's only coherent demands are:

- Bridge to Scotland

- No.

The TUV meanwhile have taken an even harder line by just bellowing swear words incoherently. This has caused a split amongst unionist voters.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

jaete posted:

Are we not making the mistake here of going "ah but when they say X, they really mean Y. Because that is how politics works."

Ignoring the fact that some people are really stupid or really mad. That some people who have been raised to believe that the Catholics want to get together and kill them all or that the Earth is 5,000 years old and dinosaurs are part of a test of faith left behind by Satan really think outlandish things. Like they believe that you can hold your breath until you are blue in the face and bang you head off a table and the EU will give you what you want. And not, you end up with brain damage.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

jaete posted:

It's more 'evidence of absence' with the DUP silence on it.
They said before the Brexit agreement they wanted to maintain the Common Travel Area NI has been under since 1922.
Which can't happen now, with customs and trade.
And they haven't said anything much more than that.

They are very vocal they don't want the Irish Sea Border. They have been threatening to bring down the NI gov if its not removed.
And the only other option is the hard border with Ireland, which they are silent on.
So you can assume they want the hard border. As it benefits them if it limits the south in any way.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 14, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

It's more 'evidence of absence' with the DUP silence on it.
They said before the Brexit agreement they wanted to maintain the Common Travel Area NI has been under since 1922.
Which can't happen now, with customs and trade.
And they haven't said anything much more than that.

They are very vocal they don't want the Irish Sea Border. They have been threatening to bring down the NI gov if its not removed.
And the only other option is the hard border with Ireland, which they are silent on.
So you can assume they want the hard border. As it benefits them if it limits the south in any way.

Plus of course the other option is just to put the UK back into the single market and pretend like it's THE GREATEST TRADE DEAL EVER DONE. They could probably get away with that as spin with just how supine the press are (and how desperate they are for their treats) but there's money to be made in grinding up orphans to sell to China as fuel so that's not going to happen.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Really not fond of the path he took but this has always resonated with me: "Our Revenge Will Be the Laughter of Our Children".

It's a long term process.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

The Question IRL posted:

Are we not making the mistake here of going "ah but when they say X, they really mean Y. Because that is how politics works."

Ignoring the fact that some people are really stupid or really mad. That some people who have been raised to believe that the Catholics want to get together and kill them all or that the Earth is 5,000 years old and dinosaurs are part of a test of faith left behind by Satan really think outlandish things. Like they believe that you can hold your breath until you are blue in the face and bang you head off a table and the EU will give you what you want. And not, you end up with brain damage.

Also its not a million years ago when they were in total control of NI, and would love to go back to it.
Sure not in the DUP name, but in the 50s/60s the electoral gerrymandering was still going on, the redistricting of areas to maintain future power was going on, the companies, and basically the money of the country.
Most of the DUP Lords would be in their 20s at that time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/clips/zmfqhyc

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

learnincurve posted:

Nah not the “I can’t process audio stuff” replies, the smug oh there are only a few narrators oh ho ho replies.
Few pages back, but I'm getting into audiobook narration and am genuinely concerned that it's amazon's latest attempt to move their union-breaking into acting, at least as far as audiobooks are concerned.

The fact that there are few narrators is largely because you're kind of expected to record, produce, edit and provide background fx / music yourself. Bigger titles will throw cash at a celebrity to do it, but smaller titles are reliant on paying some guy recording in his bedroom with a duvet over his head.

Also that Amazon are absolutely unwilling to do anything about the scams, like clients refusing to pay, clients relisting the book to get out of paying royalies, and the huge pay gouge (you get paid per hour of audio produced, not per hour worked).

It's weird because I worked producing smut for their self publishing arm for a few years, and I genuinely think that the deal they offer authors is better in almost every way than trad pub deals, just in terms of the royalities.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Undead Hippo posted:

The TUV meanwhile have taken an even harder line by just bellowing swear words incoherently. This has caused a split amongst unionist voters.
I thought they were having some recruitment problems lately
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1443170187763716104

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Guavanaut posted:

I thought they were having some recruitment problems lately
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1443170187763716104

With the Tories and Labor both pulling from the pool, there are few left for export.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/BBCLookNorth/status/1448612699076808709?s=20

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

happyhippy posted:

Also its not a million years ago when they were in total control of NI, and would love to go back to it.
Sure not in the DUP name, but in the 50s/60s the electoral gerrymandering was still going on, the redistricting of areas to maintain future power was going on, the companies, and basically the money of the country.
Most of the DUP Lords would be in their 20s at that time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/clips/zmfqhyc

Oh an interesting video explaining Geryymandering in NI.

(Clicks on link. Says I'm in the wrong region.)

I have been Gerrymandered out of this content.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

I got you man, everything you need to know about NI Gerry Mandarin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BOxUZ8Zl7A

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

It's tit for tat revenge for not putting Saorview channels on satellite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

The Question IRL posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbiW0yrnsLY

Here is the exact footage, but with a different voice on it for some reason.