Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No. 1 ANIME HATER posted:

If you're only playing handheld you are missing out on the bomb rear end sound design and a lot of details you get on the big screen.

It's an absolutely gorgeous game for being on a system that's like a fraction of what PS5 and PC can do.

Incorrect, the SWOLED has improved speakers and a large display, and better blacks than your tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

"large display" lmao

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Am I crazy or does it feel like power bombs are mostly used to unlock more power bomb upgrades?
they really are, tho they also make it a lot easier to uncover any other upgrades you haven't gotten yet at that point

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Interesting looking Golf Indie published by Platonic

https://twitter.com/PTonicFriends/status/1448604507844321280?t=yoUJfIYN8QcV5_fJQ9VHeA&s=19

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Your Computer posted:

they really are, tho they also make it a lot easier to uncover any other upgrades you haven't gotten yet at that point

The latter is pretty much the main purpose of Power Bombs in a lot of the games.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

BisterdDave posted:

Seriously surprised Symphony of the Night isn't on Switch yet. Maybe in another 2 years when they release the next Castlevania collection. SotN and 64.
They'll get around to porting the Rondo + SOTN collection to Switch some day, I assume. The real question is, when are they gonna give us the collection of the DS games?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

The real question is, when are they gonna give us the collection of the DS games?

never, too much effort

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Got and played Nocturne after never playing and SMT games or Persona stuff and I liked it. The demon pokemon angle was cool and it didnt feel piss easy like most JRPGs. Will I also like SMT V?

unless they mess it up most likely yes

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/ClickHole/status/952945468580999168?t=Mt84cel7oQ0s9jch9ODVJA&s=19

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

M2 rocks but their Konami collections are their weakest efforts which I'll assume Konami is to blame. I'm assuming they were given a 5 hour window to make each collection.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Castlevania is a bit funny given there's two very different types of the game that share the same aesthetics and sometimes core gameplay style (and sprites); the old-school platformers like Castlevania 1-IV, and the latter half of 'Metroidvania' types like Symphony of the Night.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I love Dread because it's obvious that they paid attention to what made Other M suck and completely obliterated it from their game

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Junkie Disease posted:

M2 rocks but their Konami collections are their weakest efforts which I'll assume Konami is to blame. I'm assuming they were given a 5 hour window to make each collection.

The GBA collection is very good but u was surprised how bare bones the visual options were.

Also I'm so tired of Zl and Zr being the menu buttons instead of L and R and not being able to remap the menu buttons.

These games also have a ton of unlockable extra modes that should have let you start with.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Yes also gently caress it lemme start as big boss from nes metal gear

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I've beaten the first two games on the Castlevania collection, and just started on Aria. I thought I'd played it back in the day, but it turns out all my memories are of Order of Ecclesia.

What a great trilogy of games these are. The rewind function pretty much smooths out all the kaizo bullshit on the Circle of the moon bosses. Harmony is needlessly awkward to traverse, but its a fairly meaty game with a solid difficulty curve.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

This looks cool

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

John Wick of Dogs posted:

These games also have a ton of unlockable extra modes that should have let you start with.

Yeah I will champion CotM on the internet but nobody should have to play that game 4 times to get all the modes.

Also I wish there was a Hugh mode or something. In Dracula X Chronicles they were able to add a new Maria mode to SotN so what the heck man.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Wasn't Maria mode on the Saturn version of SotN?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That indie golf game looks real cool and I just bought it. If I get enough time to play a decent amount today I’ll provide a trip report.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Not a Children posted:

I love Dread because it's obvious that they paid attention to what made Other M suck and completely obliterated it from their game

I was a bit iffy on them getting another Metroid game after Samus Returns, but they've really learned from what did and didn't work in that game too and made a pretty drat solid title. I've had some nuisance bits here-and-there, but the game at its core is rock-solid.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I played 2 hours of Disco Elysium last night. I got yelled at by a kid, threw up, refused a bribe, then my guy died from sitting in an uncomfortable chair.

Also I think I started down the path to militant feminism.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Huxley posted:

I played 2 hours of Disco Elysium last night. I got yelled at by a kid, threw up, refused a bribe, then my guy died from sitting in an uncomfortable chair.

sounds like you're getting the real disco elysium experience

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Sort of, Maria mode in the Saturn version played very differently than in Dracula X Chronicles. They were essentially different characters.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Saturn version of SotN is kinda butt, too bad the exclusive areas never made it anywhere else

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Huxley posted:

:hai:

Soon you will be accomplishing the most important goals: song and dance.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Looking it up, this secret Saturn SotN area is pretty lame anyway. 4 flat rooms. I guess seeing greenery and that freaky tree-trunk Kirby enemy is cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lADAa9ouVlM

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The new tracks they composed for the Saturn version are pretty nice though. That new Castlevania soundtrack box Konami's putting out will have them and I'm stoked for that.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Castlevania is a bit funny given there's two very different types of the game that share the same aesthetics and sometimes core gameplay style (and sprites); the old-school platformers like Castlevania 1-IV, and the latter half of 'Metroidvania' types like Symphony of the Night.
the cool thing however is that they are all really good...

.... rip castlevania :smith:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The latter is pretty much the main purpose of Power Bombs in a lot of the games.

power bombs were intensely useless in Super lol. Any time you got a Power Bomb upgrade it was like a big "ehh who cares"

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Power bombs were only useful for finding secret blocks but you have better tools for that now

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The power bombs in dread have one very good use on the final boss so they are worth it

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

hatty posted:

Power bombs were only useful for finding secret blocks but you have better tools for that now

They did decent damage to Ridley without having to expose yourself, as I recall, but you'd use them after going through all your missiles before falling back onto charge beams.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Well, I went ahead and did it. The price of Metroid Dread: Special Edition on Amazon Japan went down by ¥1000 overnight so I bought it. After shipping it comes to about $114. It's not in stock, but they claim it will arrive next week anyways.
This arrive yesterday and it's really nice. For the hell of it I checked out some unboxing videos on YouTube of the ESRB version and there's quite a number of differences--to the point that if you're still interested in a Special Edition and haven't found one yet, I'd considering importing it.
  • CERO has a sturdy top-goes-over-bottom box design, ESRB appears to be flimsy cardboard with those flaps that crush when you open them.
  • CERO includes both the steelbook and regular (JPN) case/insert. ESRB just has steelbook, even though there's space for regular case in the box.
  • CERO steelbook says "Metroid Dread" on the spine, ESRB steelbook has an unlabeled spine?!
  • Black vs. embossed box insert.
  • Art cards list "Famicom" / "Super Famicom" system names for Metroid/Super Metroid as you'd expect.
So it looks like the PEGI version uses the same box/box insert as CERO and also includes a regular case/insert, but uses the same steelbook as ESRB? That unlabeled spine seems like such an oversight.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 14, 2021

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Bug Squash posted:

They did decent damage to Ridley without having to expose yourself, as I recall, but you'd use them after going through all your missiles before falling back onto charge beams.

spoiler ur poo poo ffs

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mega64 posted:

Maria in DXC plays like Rondo Maria, and the boss fight was changed to reflect that.
Saturn Maria just punched everything into oblivion.

The Saturn exclusive areas are kinda crap, sadly. They're "fully realized" in that the beta-style rooms now flesh out into full areas, but the areas are so tacked on that the inclusion of Bloody Tears isn't even good fanservice.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ExcessBLarg! posted:

This arrive yesterday and it's really nice. For the hell of it I checked out some unboxing videos on YouTube of the ESRB version and there's quite a number of differences--to the point that if you're still interested in a Special Edition and haven't found one yet, I'd considering importing it.
  • CERO has a sturdy top-goes-over-bottom box design, ESRB appears to be flimsy cardboard with those flaps that crush when you open them.
  • CERO includes both the steelbook and regular (JPN) case/insert. ESRB just has steelbook, even though there's space for regular case in the box.
  • CERO steelbook says "Metroid Dread" on the spine, ESRB steelbook has an unlabeled spine?!
  • Black vs. embossed box insert.
  • Art cards list "Famicom" / "Super Famicom" system names for Metroid/Super Metroid as you'd expect.
So it looks like the PEGI version uses the same box/box insert as CERO and also includes a regular case/insert, but uses the same steelbook as ESRB? That unlabeled spine seems like such an oversight.

Just to add to this, the AU(EU?) version actually has both cases but is otherwise identical to the ESRB version.

Fuligin posted:

spoiler ur poo poo ffs

I'm all for spoiler-tagging things generally, but can you name a Metroid game that Ridley wasn't in? Saying Ridley is in Metroid is like saying water is wet.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fuligin posted:

spoiler ur poo poo ffs

i dont think spoiling Super Metroid is really necessary now

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I told myself I wouldn't play Dread until I finally beat Samus Returns, but I feel like I've been playing for a hundred hours and when I look at my save it says 15% so I must just chalk this one up as a loss and move on. The game's not fun, I just feel like it's dragging and I'm not a huge fan of how many huge empty rooms there are that I feel compelled to spiderball all the way around.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

don't play the bad game you don't like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Samus returns is a bit hard on the hands thanks to the cramped controls. It’s fun but you really should enjoy Dread guilt-free.