Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
raiding in FF14 is actually fun, which is why i enjoy playing it
but this is v off topic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Dareon posted:

No, no, playing EVE is like working an office job. Raiding in WoW is like working at an overloading nuclear power plant except the meltdown is from your own party members.

EVE is a game where, the moment I heard of just the concept, I realised that it was awful.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

EVE is a game where, the moment I heard of just the concept, I realised that it was awful.

EVE is everything that a much younger and more naive Me playing the original Elite on an Atari ST ever wanted in a game... And when it finally existed I found out what it really was like and no thanks.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
I could see the decking code unlock minigame from SR:HK being tricky to port, but otherwise I think these games adapt pretty easily.

I think the question is will UGCs for the PC be available for Switch users? User-generated content was a big part of these games.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm extremely glad that EVE exists, because it's a quarantine zone for people who religiously play games like EVE.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

girl dick energy posted:

EVE, it's a quarantine zone for people who religiously play games like EVE.

I am so stealing this.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Part 22 - Night at the Museum

NEW MUSIC:

(Maybe not amongst the most memorable themes on the soundtrack, but does make for atmospheric skulkin' and lootin'.)

Alright, robbing museums is exactly the kind of team bonding activity that really brings companions together. Plus every cool crime crew needs to do at least one proper heist together to be worth anything, even if this one's more of a sledgehammer run than a glass cutter one.

I'm torn. I hate when guards try to murder us, but at least that means there's somebody for you to eat. Unlike now, where it's just you... and us.

[She jabs Gaichu with her elbow and grins. He looks sullen.]

I'm always hungry. But the less meat I'm surrounded by, the more I can focus.

I'm trying to watch my waistline too, buddy. Lost two kilo since I stopped shoveling down Mr. Liu's juicy pork buns.

[She places a hand on her stomach.]

Man, just talking about it is making me hungry...

Good to see Gaichu and Gobbet getting along already, sort of. Before we get started on our book hunt though, we need to give our new ghoul pal the traditional newcomer look-over:

Gaichu is the final permanent crew member of the game (for real this time) and it's probably no surprise that his particular niche is being the party's frontline melee combatant. Apart from some Intelligence points for flavor, his stats are quite focused on hitting things and being able to take a hit or two in return as well.

Couple of things of note: For a non-Adept melee fighter he has very low Melee Weapons skill, but this isn't as relevant as it seems since like Adepts he isn't very reliant on standard melee skills. He also likes accuracy boosts like Gobbet's Aim spell as his Close Combat is adequate but not outstanding.

On the other hand, Gaichu currently has the highest Throwing Weapons skill in the crew. That's right, the blind man who by his own admission can't hit the broad side of a barn with a firearm is also the guy best suited for tossing the team's explosives. It also means has no issues with lodging sharp objects like shurikens into people's craniums with perfectly fine accuracy.

There's also something of a flavor and mechanic mismatch in his low-level gear. His "Hand-Forged" genuine Japanese Red Samurai katana folded ten thousand times or whatever actually deals one point less damage than our piece of junk replica of that very thing. His high-tech top secret super armor? Also weaker by one point than the armored trenchcoat we bought from a Whampoan clothing store. Now granted, this is entirely the result of us bringing him to a run immediately at level 2 and both will jump up to 5 damage and armor respectively right after this mission, but still.

In general Gaichu scales pretty well with levels so his first impression might vary quite a bit depending on how early or late he's recruited and brought to a run for the first time.

Gaichu travels light with only two items in his inventory, but a non-garbage medkit and a Trauma Kit are pretty much the exact two'd you want anyway so there isn't much to complain about here.

His skillset and the amount of empty weapons and item slots kind of hint at Gaichu's potential as a customizable weapons platform. He's a reliable thrower of both grenades and throwing weapons as was mentioned earlier. Giving him a second melee weapon allows him to use standard melee skills (we'll get to this in a moment). That Shock Glove we bought from Whampoa is another great pickup for Gaichu and remains so all throughout the game. Basically as long as it's not a gun or spell, Gaichu can probably make use of it.

Technically he actually does have one more weapon which are his ghoul claws (Damage = STR with an additional 2 infection damage next turn) but in mechanical terms those count as "cyberware" and so don't take a weapons slot of their own. He actually has quite a bit of "cyberware" in his slots, although...

Yeah, let's just say that if you go to your back-alley doctor for some installations and this is what you walk away with, it might already be too late to ask for your money back. Gaichu's ghoulsie feetsies do at least give him a bit of extra movement speed

The last thing to cover are Gaichu's skills which is where things get a little different from usual. The key thing here is that when equipped with his default Hand-Forged Katana (not to be confused with the generic melee weapon with the exact same name), standard melee skills are replaced with a completely different skill system unique to Gaichu. This is what I was referring to earlier about the option of giving him an extra melee weapon, as doing so does give him access to both skill sets if desired.

While the rest of us are playing Shadowrun, Gaichu over here is playing Nioh with a set of three different stances he can switch between at will, each with their own set of attacks that are executed in succession. As he lands the opener attack of a given stance, it's replaced with the next attack in the chain until he's cycled through all the attacks or does something else (such as use an item or switch to a different stance) which resets the cycle back to the start. Missing an attack doesn't either break or advance the chain.

At its core this is a fairly simple system, but the game's UI communicates what exactly these attacks do rather poorly, and to shed a bit more light to that we'll have to get a bit more number-y than usual.

We'll start from what can be considered Gaichu's "default" stance, Water Stance:

Water Stance: Cycles through 3 attacks in a sequence. No negative or positive effects.

Simple as anything. As stated in the tooltip, Water Stance has three abilities that are executed in succession, starting from...

Rushing Stream: The opener attack in the Water Stance chain.

Rushing Stream is more or less a standard melee attack dealing standard melee damage (Strength + weapon damage so currently 8). As with most of Gaichu's stance attacks, it does not deal reliable AP damage despite Gaichu having the prerequisite 5 Strength to do so on normal melee hits. Overall Gaichu's AP damage scaling is kind of weird and irregular. Stream for its part will never deal AP damage on normal hits, but will eventually get a chance to do so on critical ones.

Speaking of critical hits, let's cover a bit of under-the-hood mechanical stuff before we get any further. Basically, abilities have predetermined "crit weights" which govern the odds of the ability dealing a certain multiplier of its base damage when it connects. These are not directly visible in-game and not super relevant for a casual playthrough, but I mention them here because they're what mostly distinguish Gaichu's stance attacks from each other so going through them is simpler if you know how they work.

Using the default critical hit values as an example, a successful attack on a target not in cover has three possible outcomes: A "normal hit" (1.0x damage), a "light crit" (1.5x damage) or a "heavy crit" (2.0x damage) which translate as a set of potential damage multipliers of 1.0x/1.5x/2.0x respectively. The base "crit weights" of these outcomes are 0.5/0.25/0.25 (out of 1) respectively. As final crit chances are modified by stats and whatnot the latter set is only a rough indicator of the actual crit probabilities, but broadly speaking these two sets of values combine to a standard attack having base chances of dealing 1.0x damage 50% of the time, 1.5x damage 25% of the time and 2.0x damage 25% of the time.

Now, going back to Rushing Stream, it's actually slightly worse than a standard melee attack: It has has the default damage multipliers of 1.0x/1.5x/2.0x, but worse crit weights of 0.6/0.2/0.2 which in practice means it has slightly worse critical hit odds than a normal melee attack.

Waves Upon the Shore: The middle attack in the Water Stance chain.

Despite Waves Upon the Shore having an identical tooltip to Rushing Stream which makes it sound like they're the exact same, Waves is actually slightly better as it uses both the standard crit weights and damage multipliers of 0.5/0.25/0.25 and 1.0x/1.5x/2.0x respectively. In other words it's a bog-standard melee attack minus the reliable AP damage which ironically makes it an ability that's never going to make any kind of waves.

Sparrows Crack the Ice: The final attack in the Water Stance chain.

Again, Sparrows Crack the Ice has no mention of anything being different from its predecessors in its description, but there's actually a fairly critical (heh) difference: It has far better crit weights of 0.3/0.4/0.3 tied to damage multipliers of 1.25x/1.5x/2.0x. In other words it crits a lot more often and even when it doesn't, it still deals 25% more damage than a standard hit. Not bad! But the fact that Gaichu first has to make his way through two very medium ones to actually reach it is a real weight on these birds' wings.

As a side note, attacks like this where all three possible outcomes have damage multipliers above 1.0x create some further UI confusion as the game treats them all as critical hits, subsequently lumping them into one "100% critical hit chance" in the attack preview which is technically not wrong but still a touch misleading.

On the whole Water Stance's lack of any particular strengths probably makes it the least useful one of the three. Sparrows Crack the Ice is powerful but not outstanding and Gaichu has an even stronger offensive ability in its dedicated stance that's much easier to reach. There also aren't any potential crew advancement perks that power it up like there is for the next stance which is the defense-oriented one:

Metal Stance: Cycles through 3 attacks in a sequence. Attacks deal AP damage or reduced HP damage. Gaichu gains +1 Dodge and takes 2 less damage from all attacks.

The passive damage reduction of Metal Stance is very welcome for a frontliner, and while it doesn't scale super well, one of his level 5 crew advancement choices adds complete critical hit immunity to it which (if picked) definitely brings it back to relevancy again. The obvious caveat here is that Gaichu has to end his turn in Metal Stance to have the bonus on the enemy's turn. So what is the power of Metal all about?

Eagle's Iron Talons: The opener attack in the Metal Stance chain. Deals +1 AP damage but no HP damage.

Eagle's Iron Talons is very straightforward, trading lethality for AP reduction. It has standard crit weights of 0.5/0.25/0.25 but slightly higher damage multipliers of 1.25x/1.75x/2.0x which doesn't matter at this level (as it'll always deal 1 AP damage) but will later enable it to deal up to 2 AP damage more reliably. Way down the line it'll actually deal 2 AP damage on every hit at which point it actually becomes one of the most consistent AP damage dealing abilities in the game.

Dealing just AP damage is obviously worse than both HP and AP damage as with normal melee attacks, but AP damage is still superior to HP damage unless the target would outright die from it and Talons is Gaichu's most reliable way of doling it out especially without a secondary weapon.

Strike the Anvil: The middle attack in the Metal Stance chain. Deals 75% HP damage and +1 AP damage.

This ability is a good example of Gaichu's odd AP damage scaling as despite the tooltip's claim, Strike the Anvil can currently only deal AP damage on a crit likely due to its lowered damage multipliers of 0.75x/1.125x/1.5x. Eventually this'll go up to 1-2 AP damage instead of 0-1 which is a major improvement, but right now Strike's AP damage being basically a coin flip makes it pretty unreliable with little upside.

In another UI quirk similar to the "guaranteed" critical hits of increased damage multipliers, since the concept of "Graze" hits that deal less than maximum damage was removed after the original Returns, all hits with sub-1.0x damage multipliers are instead displayed as the enemy being behind "cover" even in melee.

Steel Cuts the Heavens: The final attack in the Metal Stance chain. Deals 75% HP damage.

In a real plot twist, the grandiose-sounding Metal Stance finisher Steel Cuts the Heavens is actually the worst attack in the chain. Guess it doesn't take much to swing at the air after all. It's also maybe the most confusing when it comes to AP damage - It deals no AP damage right now, but will start doing so from level 3 on... but only does so reliably on normal hits (it shares the same crit values with Strike the Anvil) which might make it the only ability in the game you actively might not want to crit with.

I'm not entirely sure why they made the finisher the weakest attack here but as things stand, there is limited reason to ever use Steel unless it's guaranteed to kill the target despite its lowered damage, you want Gaichu to remain in Metal Stance afterwards, and he doesn't have a secondary melee weapon of equivalent power.

That last part is arguably the biggest "problem" with Metal Stance as, whether by oversight or design, changing weapons doesn't remove the effects of Gaichu's current stance which means any secondary weapon (including a ranged one) confers the stance's defensive benefits without saddling him with its largely mediocre moveset. Eagle's Iron Talons will eventually come into its own and if you don't have or don't want to use a secondary weapon, it and Strike the Anvil do make a for a perfectly solid stun combo that leaves Gaichu in a better spot to survive incoming hits. You're never going to be super excited about it though.

As a final side note, these last two abilities only deal 50% damage instead of 75% without the unofficial fix patch which makes them even weaker than intended. Anyhow, there's still one more stance to go, and most would no doubt agree that we've left the best for last here...

Heaven Stance: Cycles through 2 attacks in a sequence. Both critical hit chance and critical multiplier are increased. Gaichu loses -1 Dodge and takes 2 extra damage from all attacks.

Heaven Stance is Gaichu's glass cannon mode and basically the opposite of Metal Stance, increasing both his damage output and intake. The latter kind of stings for a frontliner, but can be compensated for with things like Active Defense or an Armor spell. It also becomes less of an issue over time as the penalty never gets worse while Gaichu himself gains more HP and armor quite rapidly.

Unlike the other stances, Heaven Stance only has two moves, starting from...

Lightning Fells the Oak: The opener in the Heaven Stance chain. Increased damage and critical hit chance. Pierces 1 Armor.

Now those are the kinds of words you like to see in a tooltip, although it is again both kinda vague and slightly misleading as Lightning Fells the Oak actually does not affect crit chances (which are the standard 0.5/0.25/0.25 split) but simply has increased normal hit and light crit damage modifiers of 1.25x/1.75x/2.0x.

Lightning is both a very solid attack and always available, in its power level similar to the standard melee skill Thrust which is less accurate but pierces more armor. The bigger upside of Lightning over Thrust however is that it chains on to...

Surging Volcano: The final attack in the Heaven Stance chain. Increased critical hit chance and critical hit damage. Pierces 1 Armor.

Here we at last have a skill that genuinely feels worthy of a Red Samurai technique. Surging Volcano is basically an even stronger version of the already strong-but-hard-to-reach Sparrows Crack the Ice from Water Stance, with the same improved crit weights of 0.3/0.4/0.3 but for even higher damage multipliers of 1.5x/1.75x/2.25x respectively. A low roll of +50% damage and a very rare case of a heavy crit potentially going past double damage makes Volcano the strongest stance attack in Gaichu's arsenal by some margin.

In general Heaven Stance is definitely Gaichu's go-to stance, and the fact that it's only two attacks long makes it much more flexible and easy to use than the other two, especially while Gaichu himself is still stuck with 2 base AP. Arguably its main "issue" is that it ends up largely overshadowing Water Stance which can't ever match its HP damage output, nor Metal Stance's AP damage output for that matter.

All in all I find the stance system to be a neat idea that maybe isn't executed as well as it could have. It just doesn't feel quite right that an elite warrior's fancy swordplay moves all boil down to single target attacks with their numbers nudged around, especially with said nudging for the most part making them worse than some random street thug swinging a piece of metal. I think Heaven Stance has the right idea, attaching the downside to the stance itself but making the skills stronger than average feels a lot better both thematically and in gameplay than having the skills themselves be watered down. Or metal'd down.

Either way, this doesn't stop Gaichu from being an effective front liner and a lot of fun to use as nobody else in the crew can really match the arsenal of different abilities and options he can end up with between his weapon flexibility and unique abilities from level ups. Plus bringing a ghoul along makes for a great icebreaker in social situations even when fighting isn't in the cards.

Now, on to the business at hand. Our main goal is to locate and retrieve a pair of ancient texts that Drake figures are the source of whatever trouble the workers got into down in the lower levels. Our optional secondary goal is to break and steal a bunch of stuff to cover up the tomes being the main target and ostensibly so that our archaeologist employer can distribute them to actual museums instead of some rich jerk's personal collection.

Whatever the truth of the matter, the fact is that we're getting paid a bonus for breaking and stealing a bunch of stuff and who would ever say no to something like that? The only catch is that Drake can only suppress the alarm for so long, so in practice we have a strict limit of nine smashing opportunities before the party police arrives to ruin the fun and he calls the whole run off.

The western exhibition room holds a whole variety of potential lootables which sadly does not include the boat in the corner. If we want to hit the maximum threshold of ¥10,000 worth of stuff, we're probably gonna want to focus our limited Smash Points on items worth somewhere around around a grand each with the hopes that we'll get our hands on one or two extra valuable pieces to make up for the remaining gap.

Listen carefully, skeleton. You're worth ¥1,200 which means you're going into the bag and if you have a bone to pick about it, feel free to rattle off your complaints to your next numbskull owner.

This ¥900 jar is coming with us too. Who breaks into a museum only to walk away without at least one cool jar or vase with them? That's the kind of missed opportunity a shadowrunner would regret for the rest of their lives.

The Utahraptor skull is worth ¥800 which is kind of scratching the limits of what we want to spend our stealing chances on, but it'll do. Wonder what an utah is exactly, sounds vaguely familiar.

¥980 qualifies this plesiosaur jawbone as our last pickup from this particular hall. For something everyone comes pre-equipped with, people sure do pay a lot for bones.

The east exhibit is more compact, but holds a couple more things we definitely want to bring with us (and one we definitely don't).

Wonder how much fire resistance you'd get if you made armor out of these vaguely vase-shaped ¥1,400 dragon scales. Probably not enough to save you if a dragon ever spotted you wearing it.

You're looking awfully smug for a 950 nuyen head, but consider that our own is worth like 50,000 last we checked so maybe think twice before you open your cheap-rear end mouth in the presence of our exceedingly valuable one.

We're over halfway there which already nets us 1 Karma, but we've also used more than half of our chances. The last two or three are going to have to count, so now we're on the prowl for the real highlights of this collection.

The giant hole in the ground here takes us to the dig itself, but we'll get to that once we're done vacuuming up the goodies here.

The door near the dig entrance only holds a security terminal we have no use for yet, while the other one leads to an office with some pretty fancy decor.

Like this painting here. If memory serves, this boating didn't have a very happy ending for this lady. No clue if this is the real thing or not, but Drake doesn't seem interested in it and so aren't we.

A password, huh. We could ask Is0bel to bypass this, but people like this are terrible with passwords so it's probably something to do with some conspicuous feature in this room like, say, that painting for instance. "Shalott"? Nah. "LadyShalott"? Not it. "1888"? Not that either... what was the name of the painter, "Waterhouse"? That's not it either. What about the guy who wrote the poem itself, that would've been...

Bingo, son.

Let's see now...

quote:

>>*Lao Zheng*
>>to: Chou & Sun Construction Co.
>>RE: Museum Details

Chou,

Per our previous discussion, I've attached to this email the revised museum blueprints. The prints outline various changes to the structure and building materials that need to be implemented as soon as possible.

Some backtracking may be necessary, but it will cut supply and building costs by over thirteen percent without compromising the museum's size and grandeur. I know you're against it, but production output will have to increase in order to meet our end-of-year unveiling. I'll leave it up to you to figure out the details. But if I find that you and your team are slacking off again, more cuts will be made.

As to the loss of your worker, Mr. Fei, I offer you my condolences. However, we both know construction is dangerous work, and accidents are commonplace. You can look at this as an opportunity to hire someone more competent, and who won't get himself killed.

Zheng, Lao
Ganxian Enterprises

quote:

>>*Melissa Sung*
>>to: Lao Zheng
>>RE: On-Site Accident

Zheng,

I processed your informal request yesterday morning. Given a persuasive pittance, the Fei family agreed to forgo public retribution regarding the loss of Mr. Qian Fei.

Mr. Fei is the fourth laborer lost to hazardous working conditions. Public image is very important to the cooperation, and it's unlikely another transgression will go unnoticed. As your lawyer, I must advise you to double-down on your construction safety protocols, or to seek an alternative to monetary bribes. Money will buy silence in the short-term, but we ultimately want a more permanent solution.

I'll forward you the contact information of a Ganxian-funded organization that can assist you with such matters.

Sung, Melissa
Qilin Legal Practice,
A Ganxian Subsidiary

quote:

>>*Lao Zheng*
>>to: Marcus Ping
>>RE: Retracting Investment

Dear Mr. Ping,

I can assure you that the recent rumors regarding construction infractions, worker fatalities, and malpractice are all untrue. Complete fiction invented by the local gossip circuits to stir up trouble for hardworking men like myself. I've taken every possible precaution with this museum, and have spared no expense. Should you need proof, I'll send you my lawyer's contact information. I promise you'll find no infractions filed against me or Ganxian Enterprises. Your investment is sound.

Your friend,
Zheng, Lao
Ganxian Enterprises

This Zheng guy sounds like a great and caring boss. Nothing that's immediately useful to us here though.

Hey, since we're here...

We should get something like this installed at the Big Texas, maybe some mood lighting could help hide the rust and grime.

This one we could install in Gaichu's room, some colorful lights would go a long way towards making him seem less intimidating.

Another one? This could be a problem... Unless...

Tsk tsk, never reuse the same password. Not that that's the first rule of basic cybersecurity being broken here.

Would you look at that. A fan of the classics, it looks like.

Not what we're looking for...

Ah, now we're talking. Someone's taken the opportunity to do some private collecting already by the looks of it. Might as well follow their example.

May this pottery imbue our wallet with additional wealth.

Shame we can't keep this staff, seems like it'd work wonders on our mana levels.

And that'll do it! Some twenty minutes of work for a ten thousand nuyen worth of loot, sure wish we got paid at this kind of rate too.

And that seems to be it for the simple and fun part, now it's time to get down and dirty down in the dirt of the dirty dig itself and see if we can't find Drake's precious books somewhere down there. Possibly alongside whatever troublemaker's been causing trouble for the local workforce. Until then.

Some alternate initial party convos:

Glad this place is empty. I don't want us to kill any more people than we have to.

Let's move quickly, and maybe we can get in and out before anyone even knows we're here.

This place is so tawdry, I for one wouldn't mind spicing things up with a fight or three.

-

You know, I've always wanted to do something like this.

You've fantasized about vandalizing museums?

These artifacts have all been stolen from the earth. So, now we get to teach a lesson to the man who's excavating it. That these were never truly his.

Alright, but we're thieves ourselves. We're stealing things from one man only to give them to another man. And these artifacts don't belong to him, either.

Oh, he'll get what he deserves, too. Objects like these are too bright to remain in some vault or display case. More thieves will be drawn to them, like moths to a diode. I'm just excited to be a part of the cycle.

---

Isobel can bypass the password on Lao Zheng's computer itself, but opening the hidden door does require the password regardless:

Hey Is0bel, can I get a hand with this login screen?

On it.

[She clacks out a few command strings on the terminal.]

Easy. This section of the OS has a security hole that'll let me bypass the password without cracking it. Just have to spoof our user credentials. ...Here we go. The root menu.

-

Is0bel, why is this menu still locked?

[Is0bel saunters up to the terminal for a better look.]

Hmm. Looks like this area uses a different password hashing system. The spoof I was able to do earlier won't get through here. Got any good guesses?

---

It's also possible to smash through the bookcase with 5 Strength, though this increases the alarm threshold by one. Gaichu can also accomplish the same:

Gaichu, can you help me out with this bookshelf?

After you.

Thanks...

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 12, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kanfy posted:

There's also something of a flavor and mechanic mismatch in his low-level gear. His "Hand-Forged" genuine Japanese Red Samurai katana folded ten thousand times or whatever actually deals one point less damage than our piece of junk replica of that very thing.

It's a hand-forged work of art and completely obsolete. Your piece of junk replica was made with modern steel out of a computer-controlled foundry - the cheapest grade the foundry would sell them, but still 1000% better that what a person labouring over a pile of burning charcoal can achieve.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

It's a hand-forged work of art and completely obsolete. Your piece of junk replica was made with modern steel out of a computer-controlled foundry - the cheapest grade the foundry would sell them, but still 1000% better that what a person labouring over a pile of burning charcoal can achieve.

"But...but it's Glorious Nippon Steel Folded Over 1000 Times :qq:"

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Which is not to diminish what a medieval technology artisan managed with a very poor grade of iron, that is still impressive.
E: Absolutely a piece of art, much like how a renaissance painting isn't in competing with a printed photo.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 12, 2021

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
In reality it's a quirk of the leveling system and most people will probably never see a level 2 Gaichu at all, level 3 Gaichu's Hand-Forged Katana is clearly based on the generic Hand-Forged Katana and the two are extremely distinguishable from each other by their very slightly different word orders.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I don't think I ever used anything other than Heavenly Stance, except for when Gaichu has 3AP and I switch him over to Metal Stance after going through the Heavenly Stance attacks.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Kanfy posted:

the two are extremely distinguishable from each other by their very slightly different word orders.

well I'm impressed at your attention to detail, because I never, ever caught that.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
So Gaichu’s mess of undocumented information does explain why I was never impressed with actually using him.

It doesn’t help that I was a strength-focused troll, which is inevitably going to make Gaichu look really bad in comparison.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Well that explains why I was so underwhelmed with metal stance.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kanfy posted:

In reality it's a quirk of the leveling system and most people will probably never see a level 2 Gaichu at all, level 3 Gaichu's Hand-Forged Katana is clearly based on the generic Hand-Forged Katana and the two are extremely distinguishable from each other by their very slightly different word orders.

You gotta love how the elite Red Samurai is stuck with the katana that is a work of art first and a weapon second instead of the other way around.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

AceOfFlames posted:

You gotta love how the elite Red Samurai is stuck with the katana that is a work of art first and a weapon second instead of the other way around.

Gaichu is one of the Cold Steel dads after suffering a bad case of eczema, all the backstory he gives you is just bullshit.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kanfy posted:

combine them into one that's a deadly weapon and a deadly weapon

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
So can Gaichu get a Muramasa Demon Blade at some point? Can't think of any more appropriate weapon for a samurai ghoul.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

combine them into one that's a deadly weapon and a deadly weapon
Or a very work of art.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Kanfy posted:

This ¥900 jar is coming with us too. Who breaks into a museum only to walk away without at least one cool jar or vase with them? That's the kind of missed opportunity a shadowrunner would regret for the rest of their lives.

Somewhere in Berlin, Rosa feels a cold chill.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Poil posted:

Or a very work of art.

A work of art and a work of art.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Fighting Trousers posted:

Somewhere in Berlin, Rosa feels a cold chill.

I'm still mad that you go back there, but they don't let you make good on your promise to the vase.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
There should be an entire post-game mission for that vase.

I mean in theory it's probably not even too late to release a DLC for Dragonfall.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The vase was too large and beautiful for this world.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

There should be an entire post-game mission for that vase.

I mean in theory it's probably not even too late to release a DLC for Dragonfall.

The whole thing of these games is that they were meant to be a campaign creator's tool, right? I'm sure dozens of people have brought that vase's arc to a satisfying conclusion.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I used Gaichu a lot in my own playthrough and the poke underneath his hood was very informative. What I remember is mostly doing Heaven Stance and then ending off in Metal at the end of a turn for the defense bonus? Don’t think I used Water all that often, if at all.

I remember him doing very decent AP damage, and also hitting dudes out of cover so my Street Sam could fill them full of holes. But yeah, he definitely gets better with some level ups, and his dialogue is too fun to pass up to not bring him along on most runs.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I also used Gaichu a lot, both because I liked him and of course I enjoy melee and didn't want to be the only one in front. Granted my troll adept with cyber claws was slightly better at tearing through enemies like a rampaging cybered up bear. But I don't remember at all what I did about the stances. :v:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I think I did Gaichu's mission 3rd so between that and how arcane his mechanics are, I figured I'd keep using Duncan and Koschei for my CQC needs.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Duncan is good in his non-lethal tree, I hope Kanfy goes that route to show it off. There's certainly missions in the game where you'd prefer to have a non-lethal option.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I'm sad that there's no mage in this game, PC or otherwise. They're my favourite.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm sad that there's no mage in this game, PC or otherwise. They're my favourite.

The dragon lines make mages particularly hilarious.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
so facebook is renaming itself oct 28, or so the rumors go. rumors also have two possible new names:

1. meta

2. horizon

:thunk:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Zuckerberg has less of a ring to it than Spinraad.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Spinrad is also more of a younger Richard Branson type, instead of the robot masquerading as human that is the Zucc

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
How much Essence do you think Zucc's got left? Or had in the first place.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Depends on how recently he's fed, I don't think he's stable in our metaplane.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
This game has that cyberware affinity ability that gives you extra essence, what's the opposite of that?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

There's a cybersensibility thing that exists, or existed but it turns out that in a points buy mode, people will take that on their magic users to min max a few more points out of them.

It doesn't really matter because essence used that way is a game development crutch to limit players and force a sort of specialization, while what we're implying is the more thematic Essence thing in cyberzombies and essence draining demons, where it's a crime against the humanity and the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

But in 5th they decided to fix that! By changing how it worked if you had access to magic (or resonance) so every single time you decided to cast a spell you had to make a roll to see if the drain was doubled or not. So instead of "just" two rolls for every spell you needed to make three, because everyone loves excessive rolling. Strangely enough it replaced the extra essence cost of ware so it didn't affect your ability to cyber up a little bit and did nothing to make it less optimal for adepts to spend one essence (effectively one magic) on ware that would have been 2+ magic with powers. :downs: