Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

mod sassinator posted:

I've never really been wronged by any REI brand piece of gear too. Like their half dome tent--it's not the lightest thing, but it's also not a heavy boat anchor. If you can snag stuff on a sale or even lightly used/returned it's usually a great deal for someone getting started.

I got my REI brand backpack either on sale or at one of the garage sales, and it's been terrific. I don't remember the model, but it's very sturdy and has great zippers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
REI generally has incredible quality gear. One of the store brands that really exceeds expectations. They put a lot of thought into the design of their stuff.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Really appreciate all the thoughtful responses! Particular gear recommendations in particular are a good starting point for us.

I'm sold on Osprey's backpacks after getting one of their daypacks and putting it through its paces, but wouldn't mind getting some REI-branded gear if it's comparable and the price differential is significant.

I did buy one smartwool shirt based on a strong recommendation from a friend. Want to see how it holds up vs my usual cold weather stuff. I do think I'll invest in some good outer layers though if my existing down jacket doesn't cut it.

Both me and my girlfriend are on the shorter, scrawnier side so keeping things light will probably do us good.

I think we will take a weekend with rented gear - one night to try camping out in a yard just for getting acquainted with what works for us, getting to know the gear, and figuring out what we'd want to add/get rid of. After that a short 3-5 miler out-and-back sounds like a good way to take that further and get confident with it. If that doesn't completely obliterate our interest in camping I think we'll make the bigger investments from there!

a friendly penguin posted:

Another central Marylander here who has also not yet ventured into overnight yet though I've got my mind set on a low stakes option in November.

I've found my smartwool to be more than adequate for nights when car camping and for day hikes/running in freezing temperatures. But I was okay investing in it because I do a lot of outside stuff even in the winter. I've also had the same set for probably a decade now and it's still going. So you could get by with other stuff I'm sure, especially with other layers. But it's kinda nice to have and depend on.

Would love to hear other places you've hiked. Kind of been a home body lately and need inspiration to get out more.

The bigger hikes have all been out west past Frederick - think Annapolis Rock area, or the Maryland Heights/Louden Heights at Harpers Ferry. Sugarloaf was a good challenging hike but I wouldn't go again unless it was a weekday or the offseason, just gets really crowded. Locally, I haven't found anything that would be great for multi-day hikes but Patapsco Valley State Park and Gunpowder Falls State Park made good light day trips and would be great for running/biking. Would love to find more stuff close to Baltimore, driving an hour just to get to the barest of hills for a morning hike isn't the greatest

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I very strongly prefer merino wool to synthetics for base layers, but they're definitely expensive. I reccomend picking up one piece at a time, and eventually you'll have a solid selection. It's all I use at this point for climbing/camping/hiking, but I've been at this for years and picked up one or two pieces each season.

The main cons are: expensive, generally less durable than synthetics (some brands are still pretty durable), slower drying than synthetics

The main pros are: doesn't smell bad (hard to overstate this for backpacking - you can wear the same shirt for several days in a row!), retains heat even when wet, generally better for temperature regulation than synthetics.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Wool also feels better on your skin when it's dirty than a lot of synthetics do. That and the odor protection are fantastic for feeling fresh after being dirty all day.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Not a Children posted:

The bigger hikes have all been out west past Frederick - think Annapolis Rock area, or the Maryland Heights/Louden Heights at Harpers Ferry. Sugarloaf was a good challenging hike but I wouldn't go again unless it was a weekday or the offseason, just gets really crowded. Locally, I haven't found anything that would be great for multi-day hikes but Patapsco Valley State Park and Gunpowder Falls State Park made good light day trips and would be great for running/biking. Would love to find more stuff close to Baltimore, driving an hour just to get to the barest of hills for a morning hike isn't the greatest

Rocks state park isn't too far from you and has some gorgeous scenery. I haven't done a lot of hiking there since I went with my toddler and a pregnant friend and they weren't that keen. So can't vouch for the actual trails and hiking.

Patapsco is lovely but I've never felt like I was getting away from people and the urban sprawl even while on the trail which is another problem with the places around Baltimore.

I am super close to the Annapolis Rocks portion of the AT and love to run up there when I get spare moments. And if you're coming this way, Catoctin/Cunningham Falls are wonderful as well.

Sugarloaf and Harper's Ferry get crazy busy as have the the other outdoor areas since the pandemic. So easy to get here from the metro areas.

Thinking I'll have to plan something into Virginia or Pennsylvania to get any big hiking done or else just keep going on the AT. Let me know if you ever want to do something together.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

a friendly penguin posted:

Rocks state park isn't too far from you and has some gorgeous scenery. I haven't done a lot of hiking there since I went with my toddler and a pregnant friend and they weren't that keen. So can't vouch for the actual trails and hiking.

Patapsco is lovely but I've never felt like I was getting away from people and the urban sprawl even while on the trail which is another problem with the places around Baltimore.

I am super close to the Annapolis Rocks portion of the AT and love to run up there when I get spare moments. And if you're coming this way, Catoctin/Cunningham Falls are wonderful as well.

Sugarloaf and Harper's Ferry get crazy busy as have the the other outdoor areas since the pandemic. So easy to get here from the metro areas.

Thinking I'll have to plan something into Virginia or Pennsylvania to get any big hiking done or else just keep going on the AT. Let me know if you ever want to do something together.

Thanks for the tips! Didn't know about Rocks so we'll probably check it out this weekend. Will certainly PM you if a group hike is in the cards

One thing I forgot to ask in my post - any boot recommendations? Even just the selection at my local REI was a bit overwhelming.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Just be careful to keep good wool stuff away from velcro. It's like matter meeting anti-matter, velcro (hook side) shreds the hell out of wool in an instant in my experience.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Not a Children posted:

One thing I forgot to ask in my post - any boot recommendations? Even just the selection at my local REI was a bit overwhelming.
My recommendation is to wear trail runners and not boots. Look at/ try on altra if you have a wide foot, Hoka if you want cushion, and Merrell for a good all around. Boots are mostly heavy, expensive, and don’t dry out as fast. I don’t do a lot of hiking in the snow, though. I can say I had good day hike experience with waterproof keen targhees. Foot wear is super personal though! Probably just as important as the shoe is the insole, which adds to the cost. Super feet and tread labs make great ones.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Alamoduh posted:

Start my AT through hike tomorrow. See you in a few months!

I was just thinking about the goon that did the AT this year. Grats on finishing!

I know last year was a poo poo show with a lot of trail closures and COVID being spooky so I’m curious how it felt and was this year now that it’s Open Biden.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Not a Children posted:

I love trail runners for most things but if you want boots, determine your needs. If you need more support, you need taller boots that go over the ankle, not just a mid height. If you want waterproof boots, get goretex and the take the better. If you want out if the box comfort and value look at the moabs. Salomon quest 4d gtx boots are great as well but more expensive. Asolo and garmont boots are great but pricey and might not fit certain feet. Leather boots are great and can last a long time but might take a long time to break in.

Boots, as said by others, get heavy which wear on your legs and hips mile after mile. Waterproof boots are great until they eventually get wet and when they do they don't dry easily, plus they're really heavy when soaked.

I'm a trail runner evangelist but there's a time and a place for boots. Picking the right boot for your feet and needs is important. Try things on and walk around a while in them. Make sure you can lock your heel in and that your toes don't hit the end of the toe box.

Alamoduh posted:

Probably just as important as the shoe is the insole, which adds to the cost. Super feet and tread labs make great ones.

Be careful with superfeet. They're great and comfy but the hard plastic heel cups can prematurely wear out your waterproof membranes through repeated rubbing. I've read of this happening a lot in mountaineering boots especially.

Verman fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 15, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I love my lone peaks, they're nice and cool, dry fast if you dunk them. But I love my Moabs too, my ankle locks in nice and I feel insanely confident on rock. The LP's slip out really badly on slanted surfaces, there's almost no support on the sides. The Moabs are furnaces if I'm wearing smart wool socks.

So they're tools, and are better and worse for various things. Buy both and use what's appropriate for the trail being taken. :v:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I do have some decent New Balance trail runners I like already, but I feel like on rocky terrain my ankles get achey really quickly. Figured boots might help, but further research has yielded mixed information on whether that'd actually reduce that discomfort. Maybe I just need to toughen up a bit.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I am a bigger guy, and my Salomons have served me very well. If i step wrong, i really dont want the full force of me and my pack all on my ankle, and the strong support has definitely saved me a few times.

Mine are a few revisions ago but this is what i wear. they are obviously heavier than a trail runner, but at 1.5lbs each they are lighter than some of the worst offenders in the boot category. they are not waterproof but are resistant enough that crossings over streams where you get some splashes on your feet wont soak through, and they dry out ok.

https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/product/quest-4-gore-tex.html#color=47347

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Salomon chat. Salomon trail runners and boots in the past have never fit my foot correctly. I wear size in 14 in other trail runners, but with Salomon it felt like I needed a 13.5 (they don't make half sizes this far up). I always heard it was a European vs American sizing. Enter the Salomon Ultra Glide that came out this year. It is the first Salomon I have tried that fits me. Also it might be the most cushioned shoe they have done yet (it is like they combined a Salomon with a Hoka shoe and you don't notice the stack height at all) and it is at a decent weight. They have currently replaced my Hokas as my grab first shoes. So if you had trouble with the Salomon fit these might be worth checking out.

Also for ankles, I have found that doing ankle strengthening exercise (I have a balance board) have eliminated my ankle issues. I do agree there is a time and place for boots, but if a trail runner will work I am going with a trail runner every time.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

nate fisher posted:

Salomon chat. Salomon trail runners and boots in the past have never fit my foot correctly. I wear size in 14 in other trail runners, but with Salomon it felt like I needed a 13.5 (they don't make half sizes this far up). I always heard it was a European vs American sizing. Enter the Salomon Ultra Glide that came out this year. It is the first Salomon I have tried that fits me. Also it might be the most cushioned shoe they have done yet (it is like they combined a Salomon with a Hoka shoe and you don't notice the stack height at all) and it is at a decent weight. They have currently replaced my Hokas as my grab first shoes. So if you had trouble with the Salomon fit these might be worth checking out.

Also for ankles, I have found that doing ankle strengthening exercise (I have a balance board) have eliminated my ankle issues. I do agree there is a time and place for boots, but if a trail runner will work I am going with a trail runner every time.

agreed, i do exercises for them too, but i really dont want a broken ankle on the trail. as i lose weight hopefully i'll feel a bit more comfortable with lighter footwear

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I think I used boots once this year, my trail runners worked well for everything else. I tend to use boots more often in the colder weather and we got enough snow here to possibly end hiking season for me otherwise they'd have seen more use.

I want to say it feels like boots give more support for my ankles but I never had them hurt regardless of terrain and the type of footwear I wore. The only thing that gives me grief is the bottom of my feet and that seems kinda typical for marathon length hikes

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

WoodrowSkillson posted:

agreed, i do exercises for them too, but i really dont want a broken ankle on the trail. as i lose weight hopefully i'll feel a bit more comfortable with lighter footwear

Completely understand. I lost 30lbs since the start of COVID thanks to I got real serious about running trail and road. I just did my first half marathon race a couple of weeks ago, and my solo day hikes are now long rear end trail runs. That said I was the hiker that always turned their ankle on any long hike or run. While most of these ankle turns were not that bad, several of them hurt for a few days. I did actually sprained my ankle so bad in 2019 that I couldn't mountain bike, hike, or run (I was running before COVID, just not serious enough to make a difference) for like 6 to 8 weeks. Given my desire to use higher stack shoes, like the Hoka Speedgoats, along with my fear of them, I researched how to help my problem, and ankle strengthening was the key. Now I am have like 950 miles running (I would say 70% of it is on trails) so far in 2021 and a bunch of hiking miles on top of that, and I can't remember the last time I turned my ankle. Something that use to happen weekly now seems to happen only a few times a year. So you are on the right path with doing exercises (a cheap balancing board from Amazon works better than anything for me). Good luck and keep working it.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 15, 2021

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

George H.W. oval office posted:

I was just thinking about the goon that did the AT this year. Grats on finishing!

I know last year was a poo poo show with a lot of trail closures and COVID being spooky so I’m curious how it felt and was this year now that it’s Open Biden.

COVID was a complete non-issue. Almost everybody that I talked to had been vaccinated if they had the chance before they started, and the ones that couldn’t got it at trail days (they hd a mobile vax van) or at a trail town pharmacy. No hiker that I knew or heard of got COVID, and while most places required masks the further North you got, that really wasn’t the case until past Harpers Ferry I guess. But nobody really stayed in shelters if they could help it, and there were nights that someone might have the whole thing to themselves with 10 other people set up nearby. Also almost everyone had hand sanitizer, at least to start. It wasn’t until Woods Hole that somebody told me that it wasn’t effective against Norovirus (the virus sheath is resistant to alcohol!)

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I love my Salomons. They work with my wonky high arches, and despite my left foot is a full size bigger than right. Cinch 'em up, and it works.

Frustrated thus evening, as I had planned out a nice hike tomorrow, managed to find a nice 12 miles section of the Ice Age Trail not 'closed during deer gun season' and... I can't find transportation to the trailhead. No taxi, uber, shuttle, heck I even tried asking rental car place and local small airport. Telling them I don't care if it's your sister's friend's cousin, just need a ride about 15 miles to the other end of the segment. Posted in ride groups, messaged the trails County chapter a week ago, my lady hiking group. Nothin. I solo hike, and am a middle aged woman, and not really all that scary. Picked it as it's a 'IAT Trail Community' and Mammoth hike challenge is supposed to include 3 of those in you 41 miles in October.

Drove 3 hrs north, currently chilling in a Super8, Antigo, WI, population 8,234. Going to either not complete the segment and do a there and back (because realistically I am not doing 24 miles) or pack up and head somewhere else that possesses a taxi service.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

So I did a solo hike up and around a couple bluffs yesterday and thought I would be smart and take my satellite messenger along in case I fall off a cliff or whatever.

Well, when I got back to the lot some old dude was chatting me up as I was taking my gear off and I got distracted and left it on the roof of my car. Like 15 minutes later when I hit the highway I hear something go clunk and see it rolling off into the ditch. The traffic was too heavy for me to stop right away, but I thought I knew the half mile or so section it happened at. 2 hours of combing the ditch and nothing. :negative:

At least it was a present so it's not like I'm out another $300 when replacing it. :rip:

My hope is someone finds it and turns it back on cuz it should hopefully ping as I had the tracking on earlier.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Spent a few nights in Red River Gorge, KY, last week. What an incredible place, and the leaves are beautiful right now--my pictures don't do it justice. If you're even somewhat close you should make a trip there at some point.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
Last week Mrs. rear end Trophy and I hiked the entire length of the Transcatalina trail, plus a few extra credit segments. All told it was about 43 miles over 4 days. This was also our first experience ever with camping. In my entire adult life, I have never slept outside in a tent. It was baby steps for us, we used a gear haul service that moved a rented tent, cots, stove and utensils. They also moved our extra clothes, sleeping bags and food.

So it was essentially 4 hikes with a daypack that had 2l of water, snacks/lunch, and some clothing layers. I have to admit it was a lot of fun, way more than I expected. We have been training for 6 months, building up to 12 mile hikes with 20 pound weighted packs. And I learned a lot. What to bring, what not to bring food and clothing wise.

The next trip will be a 2 day, 1 night on the Ohlone trail from Livermore to Sunol. 20 miles, and we intend to be self contained. Her pack should be fine, it can handle a sleeping bag and pad, but I just have a Manta 36 and will need something bigger to handle the tent and kitchen. At least I know what to say when anyone asks what I want for xmas.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

Last week Mrs. rear end Trophy and I hiked the entire length of the Transcatalina trail, plus a few extra credit segments. All told it was about 43 miles over 4 days. This was also our first experience ever with camping. In my entire adult life, I have never slept outside in a tent. It was baby steps for us, we used a gear haul service that moved a rented tent, cots, stove and utensils. They also moved our extra clothes, sleeping bags and food.

So it was essentially 4 hikes with a daypack that had 2l of water, snacks/lunch, and some clothing layers. I have to admit it was a lot of fun, way more than I expected. We have been training for 6 months, building up to 12 mile hikes with 20 pound weighted packs. And I learned a lot. What to bring, what not to bring food and clothing wise.

The next trip will be a 2 day, 1 night on the Ohlone trail from Livermore to Sunol. 20 miles, and we intend to be self contained. Her pack should be fine, it can handle a sleeping bag and pad, but I just have a Manta 36 and will need something bigger to handle the tent and kitchen. At least I know what to say when anyone asks what I want for xmas.

Hell yeah, that’s awesome! I’ve never used a gear haul service but I’m jealous of people that do.

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong
I know this is definitely more of a niche subject, but does anyone have recommendations for snowshoes? Always something I’ve wanted to experiment with, and now that my area is starting to get some solid snowpack, I’m keen to give it a try.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

no_tears posted:

I know this is definitely more of a niche subject, but does anyone have recommendations for snowshoes? Always something I’ve wanted to experiment with, and now that my area is starting to get some solid snowpack, I’m keen to give it a try.

If you're going uphill I can't recommend MSR shoes enough, they are fantastic for slopes and mountains. Get one with a pop up heel lift wire in the back to help reduce a bit of strain with constant uphill, and upgrade to one with more aggressive crampon-like spikes around the edges if you're going up more icy terrain. I've taken the Evo Ascent shoes up the approaches on Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens without any issues.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

If you're going uphill I can't recommend MSR shoes enough, they are fantastic for slopes and mountains. Get one with a pop up heel lift wire in the back to help reduce a bit of strain with constant uphill, and upgrade to one with more aggressive crampon-like spikes around the edges if you're going up more icy terrain. I've taken the Evo Ascent shoes up the approaches on Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens without any issues.

Both good options for hillier areas.

If you live in flatter, more rolling hill terrain, and depending on your size/weight, you may need to go with some bigger snowshoes to get more float. When I am winter backpacking and have 40 pounds on my back I end up using those big huge magnesium air force surplus snowshoes and they do a pretty great job overall and can be had for pretty cheap. Mine have held up fine for years.

So whats your size, and where will you be using them? That will help dictate what kind you may want to get.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
I did Kilimanjaro a few years back and now want to work up to eventually doing something like Aconcagua. I had an unreasonable amount of vacation days saved up which I decided to use to build experience.

I spent 2 weeks in the Atlas mountains in Morocco. Occasionally tagged along with some groups and solo travelers. Summited Mt. Toubkal in good weather.

I heard from a French couple that Mt. Ararat had recently opened up after being closed for 6 years so I went to Turkey and found a guide that was going up with a Greek and a German guy. I joined them and we spent 4 days acclimating. The ascent started in a light snowstorm but it cleared up and we had blue skies on the summit. It was cold AF and I learned that I a need balaclava that won't freeze into a solid chunk with my beard.

I went to Georgia intending to do Mt. Kazbek but it being late in the season and Kazbek apparently having a lot of crevasses I figured I should probably get a guide. The only one I could find wanted 1800$ for the two days I needed so I opted to skip it and went to Armenia instead and walked up Mt. Aragats. It was a straightforward easy hike in excellent weather. Amusingly Mt. Ararat was visible peaking out of the clouds.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Well that sounds like a great way to spend a vacation. Holy poo poo, I'm jealous.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I'm jealous at how easily it sounds like you can go from country to country to go hiking. That sounds rad as hell and looks super cool

I spent my long weekend driving to Vegas to go hiking. Did both Charleston and Hayford Peaks, both are ultra-prominent peaks of Nevada

Charleston Peak

Hayford Peak

The cabin was built in 1931 and has been restored a couple times since then

NO MORE CAMPFIRES

On the way back driving up I-15 I passed by a single vehicle rollover. Some truck drivers were out to direct traffic and a couple other people had stopped. I figured I would stop since I had some first aid stuff as well that I carry and the highway patrol wasn't there yet. The victim was alive but she had a massive gash in her arm but no blood spurting and I didn't think I could help. Less than a minute later the highway patrol rolled up and immediately applied a tourniquet. I headed out at that point but I keep reliving the scene in my head

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.
Did the Massanutten South Trail today. We picked it up from the 211 access parking lot and went as far as the Yellow Cliffs Overlook. The leaves were quite treacherous for me as I didn't have my boots, but it was beautiful.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/virginia/massanutten-south-trail-to-yellow-cliffs-mountain-overlook

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Notice many mountain dwellers in this thread, and hoping you all could give me some recommendations on snow shoes. Currently living in the Alps and some of the winter hikes I plan on doing are not suitable with skis, but have never used snow shoes. Anyone have specific brand/model recommendations? I would assume light as possible and not so wide, but we can get durations of weather that puts a lot of fresh powder on the ground....

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Dick Ripple posted:

Notice many mountain dwellers in this thread, and hoping you all could give me some recommendations on snow shoes. Currently living in the Alps and some of the winter hikes I plan on doing are not suitable with skis, but have never used snow shoes. Anyone have specific brand/model recommendations? I would assume light as possible and not so wide, but we can get durations of weather that puts a lot of fresh powder on the ground....

The MSR Revo and Lightning Ascents are top of the line. They are expensive but if you are in steep and/or mountainous terrain, there is nothing even close to as good. If you are walking on relatively flatter trails and paths, you can find cheaper options.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
If you have any used sporting goods or gear stores you might check them out too, they usually have snowshoes for cheaper. But it's harder to find the good ones like MSR lightnings because people snatch them up quick. I can definitely second MSRs though, they're great for uphill travel.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
Has anyone been in the San Mateo Wilderness off of Ortega Highway in SoCal? I want to try my first overnight by starting at the Bear Canyon trailhead and going South to the San Mateo Creek via Verdugo and Bluewater. The plan would be to disperse camp somewhere along the creek, then head home by a different route. Does this seem reasonable? Water may be an issue. We have had next to no rain. Park rangers said don't plan on any of the creeks to be flowing. SO it might be full 3l bladders and double 1l bottles for each camper.

Looks to be about 10 miles each day. I know the starting point by the trailhead can be a bit crowded, but from the few trip reports I can find, the rest of the planned hike is wide open. In any case, I am going on a day hike recon tomorrow before my daughter's soccer game. I'll go in for about 5 miles then turn around.

Also, I am unreasonably happy because I am looking forward to testing out my new Darn Tough socks .

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

while i have never been to that park, i lived in LA for many years so i know the climate; imo 5L is not enough water for a 20 mile overnighter, especially if it's your first time. i drink a lot so ymmv

darn toughs are the best though, and pretty much the only sock i wear at all these days

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Darn tough are the best socks.

That seems like not a lot of water for 20 miles in warm weather. Depends on how fast your are I guess.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

Chard posted:

while i have never been to that park, i lived in LA for many years so i know the climate; imo 5L is not enough water for a 20 mile overnighter, especially if it's your first time. i drink a lot so ymmv

darn toughs are the best though, and pretty much the only sock i wear at all these days

We plan to do this in January and will bail if it ends up being a hot weekend, maybe bring a second bladder in my pack. I am not too worried about water, but I know that any disaster is usually caused by a series of small mistakes, the elimination of a single one of the series could have prevented the disaster. I have been here since the late 80's and have 35 years of bike racing/training built into me, so I am familiar with my consumption rate under whatever weather conditions and level of exertion. Even on the hottest days I don't really sweat that much. However, put me in an air conditioned house and ask me to turn a screwdriver while assembling a piece of IKEA furniture, I turn into a dripping mess. Go figure.

The recon tomorrow should be dry but cool. 40 at sunrise, warming to 60 by late afternoon. My wildlife wish list for the day is to see a roadrunner and a California King snake.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I’ve done Sitton peak from that same trailhead as a day hike. Echoing everyone else, you won’t find any water and it’s too low for snow so there will be no springs until way late in the season.

If this is your first overnight maybe look at some trails in the San Gorgornio area. There’s a few year round creeks and springs in the area that should make water less a concern so you can focus on your hike and your gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

FCKGW posted:

I’ve done Sitton peak from that same trailhead as a day hike. Echoing everyone else, you won’t find any water and it’s too low for snow so there will be no springs until way late in the season.

If this is your first overnight maybe look at some trails in the San Gorgornio area. There’s a few year round creeks and springs in the area that should make water less a concern so you can focus on your hike and your gear.

Thanks for that info. I will check it out. Someone I used to ride with did some bikepacking out there and had a blast.

My trip to 4 corners just down from Sitton was foiled by my own stupidity. Ortega was closed for scheduled maintenance, so I could not get to the trailhead. I went home and did a gravel ride instead. At that trailhead I saw some guys prepping e-motorcycles for a ride. Usually if I see that, I tell them they are not allowed, but I recognized one of them as a repeat offender so I just called the sheriff department after I was out of their sight. Because gently caress them. The trail system is already pretty packed with bikers, e-bikers, hikers and horses. Also, I am old and pissed off that I did not get to hike any new trails today.

On the plus side, I did see a roadrunner.