Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

It strikes me that it would have been waaaaaay less effort to strip off the the external hull plating from the yacht or a shuttlecraft than the whole ship

Might not be separate layers like that on the little ships.

The voice in Rutherford's evil memory sounds really familiar.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

It strikes me that it would have been waaaaaay less effort to strip off the the external hull plating from the yacht or a shuttlecraft than the whole ship

Does a shuttlecraft have the tractor beam power to stop a starship, though?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Epicurius posted:

Does a shuttlecraft have the tractor beam power to stop a starship, though?

It's a Captain yacht, which although just meant for diplomacy, I could imagine being pretty tricked out cos, you know, that just seems like the type of thing Starfleet would do. I mean they know at some point it will inevitably get up to shenanigans.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

dr_rat posted:

It's a Captain yacht, which although just meant for diplomacy, I could imagine being pretty tricked out cos, you know, that just seems like the type of thing Starfleet would do. I mean they know at some point it will inevitably get up to shenanigans.

The Cerritos is literally designed to tow ships larger than itself. That's why it has its registry and name plate on backwards. I don't think a tricked out shuttle can duplicate that functionality.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

The Cerritos is literally designed to tow ships larger than itself. That's why it has its registry and name plate on backwards. I don't think a tricked out shuttle can duplicate that functionality.

That, and the captain's yacht would probably not be able to survive a hit from the debris field.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just want to say that was really excellent

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
As soon as they mentioned that the debris field would be attracted to the hull, I thought they were going to go for a Pied Piper setup. Fly around the debris field, have all the detritus follow them and once they clear it out enough, warp away. Then come back and help the disabled ship.

Like what they did better, though.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

A.o.D. posted:

The Cerritos stopped the ship basically instantly. If the captains yatch got there a couple of hours sooner it would have a lot longer to drain the other ships momentum, and once you've drained the momentum if you can apply just a little more force then the pull of the gravity well you could slowly pull it away. Hell even just changing it's angle a bit so it was approaching sallower you could cause it to bounce off the planets atmosphere. I mean that is if it did have a tractor beam. Possibly Freeman had another plan. Or didn't even have a plan and was just going to wing it.

Anyway if she can mastermind the destruction of the Paklads home world, I'm sure she can figure out a bit of ship saving. #FreemanDidNothingWrong

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Show good. Why not more show?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This was a good episode - the show is definitely better when it's more consciously trying to be a star trek show with humour rather than a comedy show with star trek. A couple of lower deckisms of sudden out-of-character behaviour to force tension but it isn't that bad.

Aside from [spoiler plot developments] I also noted that over the course of this season they casually shifted the main cast's duty stations so they work on the bridge now, which potentially changes the framing of stories for season 3 and gives them more natural opportunities to interact with the other characters.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I can easily imagine how the Pakled Planet got blown up--they likely did it themselves using the second bomb, either by accident or through some absurd turn in their frequent revolutions. What I'm really interested in is how Freeman got implicated.

One thing I really liked over the course of this season is the cast gradually getting more recognition for their actions.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

The rubber ducky room is one of those stupidly deep-cut references I love.

Great finale, this really is the best incarnation of Trek in years.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Finally my hours of youth wasted on the TNG technical manual pay off in a tiny tiny way

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Wee Bairns posted:

The rubber ducky room is one of those stupidly deep-cut references I love.

Great finale, this really is the best incarnation of Trek in years.

Wait, that wasn't just a throwaway line? When were rubber duck rooms a thing?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
There's a small rubber duck in a room on the giant okudagram schematic of the Enterprise.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

A.o.D. posted:

Wait, that wasn't just a throwaway line? When were rubber duck rooms a thing?

It's a nod to the MSD display on the Enterprise-D, which had a giant rubber duck in a room as an Easter egg. Unable to be made out in the old SD cuts, visible if you look at the remasters.
I think there's also a B-52 bomber room on the D, too...

Edit: it was a DC-10

as seen here

Wee Bairns fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 14, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hope we get to see Mariner and the Andorian dating in the background next season.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

dr_rat posted:

My god, no pips! Is there a rank below ensign, and are they trying to take over starfleet!

Definitely in for some section 31 shenanigans. Hopefully it's more of a deep space nine version than the newer version

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Finale was good, maybe 2nd or 3rd best this season. Glad to see some never seen areas of the ship, an epic solution to a crisis, cool new ship class, a nice returning character, a twist on a twist at the end, and a big rub in the nose for me having to wait a year for the next episode. I did feel Tendi was a bit first season Tendi, though that might have been because they were switching her up so she'd be more accessible on missions. Glad they dropped hints for another running plot with Rutherford while continuing the Pakled plot far beyond what I thought they would do. Weird they just arrested the captain and not the whole senior crew. Two years in a row they've had a great closing episode string. I hope Prodigy is at least 1/10th as good as this show.

twistedmentat posted:

I hope we get to see Mariner and the Andorian dating in the background next season.

Hopefully foreground as it will make the youtubers mad

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

WOW that was good, like, the best episode of any Trek series in.. I'm not sure how long

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

WOW that was good, like, the best episode of any Trek series in.. I'm not sure how long

I love this show so fuckin much, drat.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Was the TNG-theme text announcing the system they were in something that was a first for this episode? It felt so familiar and yet I have a suspicion that the only Trek that did that was Into Darkness.

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
So season 3 is definitely going to open with "Previously on Star Trek...and now, the conclusion"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tragedyjones posted:

So season 3 is definitely going to open with "Previously on Star Trek...and now, the conclusion"

What ever happened to that project of getting Majel Barrett to record every english phoneme so they could use her as the computer voice forever

Or was that an elaborate dream I had

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I definitely remember hearing about that, but my guess is it was either never completed before she died or it was completed but doesn’t sound right.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
This episode was good, but I still think last week’s was better. I remember thinking “Is this the season finale? It sure feels like it!” while watching it. Not that this episode was bad.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

didn't even notice the change

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Mirror universe confirmed

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Crusader posted:

didn't even notice the change

It's been a whole season, it's arms got tired :(

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Next season one will be up, one will be down. It lets the dilithium go on a slide and have a fun time :)

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

dr_rat posted:

It's been a whole season, it's arms got tired :(

apparently Okuda made the suggestion because the nacelles are downward from engineering

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I wonder if the Ritos will get a new hull pattern and/or refit for season 3 now?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I wonder if the Ritos will get a new hull pattern and/or refit for season 3 now?

I honestly thought that [spoiler]when the Starfleet guys said that Captain Freeman had no choice about leaving the Cerritos, it was because it had taken too much damage and they were decommissioning it.[spoiler]

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So is the strike going to delay next season?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arglebargle III posted:

So is the strike going to delay next season?

The animation guild is it's own thing, but it's affiliated with the IATSE. I believe they are not involved with the strike directly so most animation projects should continue

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I guess I'm dumb because I just realized the Lower Decks characters are based on the season 7 TNG episode characters. There's the nervous ladder-climbing redshirt, the carefree civilian, the serious yellow-shirt, and the nurse who hangs out with the CMO. They just changed Mariner to a Starfleet because she can't come on missions if she's a civilian.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

I guess I'm dumb because I just realized the Lower Decks characters are based on the season 7 TNG episode characters. There's the nervous ladder-climbing redshirt, the carefree civilian, the serious yellow-shirt, and the nurse who hangs out with the CMO. They just changed Mariner to a Starfleet because she can't come on missions if she's a civilian.

Please map out who you are talking about

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Arglebargle III posted:

Lavelle and Boimler are pretty similar but I don't really think the mapping goes much further than that

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yeah I wouldn’t call Rutherford serious at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah I wouldn’t call Rutherford serious at all.

He's pretty carefree. I think he's presented as the most competent of the main four, if you want to call that serious