Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

azflyboy posted:

Welcome to SomethingAwful, Senator Inhofe.

Seriously though, the NOTAM system is comically broken, and I don't think anyone actually reads all of them for a given flight.

:cawg:

I meant read them on the radio. I actually do read the NOTAMs for my area when I get to work, because I’m a huge dork. I still got a healthy laugh out of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

azflyboy posted:

Welcome to SomethingAwful, Senator Inhofe.

Seriously though, the NOTAM system is comically broken, and I don't think anyone actually reads all of them for a given flight.

There's been a NOTAM that SEA doesn't have 100LL available published every day for the last five years, and despite the fact that the unavailability is permanent, that stupid NOTAM still shows up every time I fly there, and it's occasionally listed above things like taxiway or navaid closures that might actually matter to someone.

The NavCanada NOTAM to avoid flight within the Tehran FIC has been around for years at this point and is displayed on every NOTAM request despite the fact it will, at most, affect 0.001% of Canadian air traffic and literally no Cessnas.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

MrYenko posted:

I don’t read NOTAMs in real life. I’m going to work you around any airspace or hazards, but loving reading NOTAMs. The NOTAM system IRL is more broken than the FS ATC system.

I more meant having dynamic things happening in the world than giving you a reading list before you start playing. I can get my NOTAM reading fix from SimBrief.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A lot of dangerous pilots in here. I'll have you know that I plot each and every one of the 1,000 200-foot cranes within 5 miles of SFO on my chart before every flight.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

kemikalkadet posted:

Also NOTAMs in the game and radar/flight following giving you notice of them, things like planned drone activity, temporary restricted zones etc.

This is one of the spergiest things I’ve ever read.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I didn't expect people dunking on in-game ATC, so maybe my very not-flight-sim-aware experience of it is wrong. I just want to be able to file a flight plan based on instrument plans, follow it while I computer-touch around the sky, and have a computer voice tell me, "Climb to 2-2-0-0 heading 459!" except not that but have it make sense. For me, if I file my flight plan, but no-one's saying, "Hang on! Yer flying a direct line there! NOOOO!" it seems a little strange.

I will say I didn't try just turning off the in-game ATC and following the flight plan anyway. I might try it next time I get game pass. It was always FS2020's ATC telling me to climb to 11k feet on approach five miles from the runway.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
In real life you only file a flight plan so ATC knows what you’re doing so they can coordinate you with other traffic. That doesn’t exist in sims so just do whatever your heart desires.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i was reading the atc ask/tell thread the other day and back in april last year when almost the entirety of us air traffic control shut down there was apparently some dude in a cessna doing traffic patterns on one of ohare's main runways

king poo poo

e: midway not ohare

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm listening to the MDW CTAF at https://www.liveatc.net/hlisten.php?mount=kmdw_1&icao=kmdw
Is it normal for people to pattern work and touch and gos at Midway?

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 14, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mrenda posted:

I didn't expect people dunking on in-game ATC, so maybe my very not-flight-sim-aware experience of it is wrong. I just want to be able to file a flight plan based on instrument plans, follow it while I computer-touch around the sky, and have a computer voice tell me, "Climb to 2-2-0-0 heading 459!" except not that but have it make sense. For me, if I file my flight plan, but no-one's saying, "Hang on! Yer flying a direct line there! NOOOO!" it seems a little strange.

I will say I didn't try just turning off the in-game ATC and following the flight plan anyway. I might try it next time I get game pass. It was always FS2020's ATC telling me to climb to 11k feet on approach five miles from the runway.

I mean if you really just want accurate ATC vectors and for someone to yell at you for deviating from them, sign up for VATSIM. It does exactly what you want. The only downside is that the crowd is kind of no-fun-allowed and they will ban you for "griefing" if you e.g. declare an in-flight emergency for fun.

Someone brought it up in here before, but I think it would be a lot of fun to do some good old fashioned goonswarming on VATSIM with like 50 of us all flying 152s VFR asking for the same transition through whatever big bravo airport they've got running, one after another. It's perfectly legal! You have to provide the services if your workload permits it!!

Sapozhnik posted:

i was reading the atc ask/tell thread the other day and back in april last year when almost the entirety of us air traffic control shut down there was apparently some dude in a cessna doing traffic patterns on one of ohare's main runways

king poo poo

e: midway not ohare

Someone was doing it at Teterboro too iirc

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sagebrush posted:

goonswarming on VATSIM with like 50 of us all flying 152s VFR asking for the same transition through whatever big bravo airport they've got running, one after another. It's perfectly legal! You have to provide the services if your workload permits it!!

yes please let's bully some hall monitors

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
It's like when school's closed and you can skate down on all the rails.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Sagebrush posted:

Someone brought it up in here before, but I think it would be a lot of fun to do some good old fashioned goonswarming on VATSIM with like 50 of us all flying 152s VFR asking for the same transition through whatever big bravo airport they've got running, one after another. It's perfectly legal! You have to provide the services if your workload permits it!!
I would be game for this. Vatsim needs more VFR GA aircraft.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bentai posted:

I would be game for this. Vatsim needs more VFR GA aircraft.

Bonus points it you go play “I’m not touching your airspace” during a big VATSIM event.

A half dozen 1200 codes on the transition fixes of each arrival would play merry hell with the controllers on there.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sagebrush posted:

Someone was doing it at Teterboro too iirc

oh man I am in for this

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

There’s a cross the pond event on the 30th.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Where should we start from?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Remember to change your tail number to something incredibly annoying to say.

Hearing "Charlie Golf *sigh* Romeo India November... I hate your callsign... cleared to land runway 14" was when I knew I'd won vatsim.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't get it

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

EvilJoven posted:

Logging in as 9-NINER-9

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I don't get it

It's just awkward to say. Like imagine flying a French plane with registration F-NNFN and having to say that dozens of times per flight.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

EvilJoven posted:

Hearing "Charlie Golf *sigh* Romeo India November... I hate your callsign... cleared to land runway 14" was when I knew I'd won vatsim.

just have them readback the taxi instructions the MSFS ground controller spits out.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

69-DTF

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EvilJoven posted:

There is C-FRZR at my airport and I hate saying it so much whenever they're in the practice area with me. Terrible, terrible callsign.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

All-letter callsigns are just dumb as poo poo in general. The FAA has it right with max two letters and always at the end. And there are more airplanes registered in the USA than anywhere else and we still haven't run out. Idk what other countries were thinking with this five letter bullshit

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Got back from my trip to see these waiting for me.

And I'm not sure when I am going to have an opportunity to open them, let alone play with them. :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Got back from my trip to see these waiting for me.

And I'm not sure when I am going to have an opportunity to open them, let alone play with them. :(

You probably shouldn't stand on top of the boxes containing your new excellent flight sim gear. :colbert:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

There is C-FRZR at my airport and I hate saying it so much whenever they're in the practice area with me. Terrible, terrible callsign.

When I was flying IRL the only thing I didn't like about the plane I was in was it's name. C-GQPN is hard on the tongue when you're trying to do poo poo.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I have become the guy who buys DLCs for flight sims. :negative:

The 4 seasons tree thing at https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/seasons-available-on-pc-and-xbox/456640 simMarket is loving beautiful. Flying around New England in the fall is basically everything I wanted it to be.

I bought the dinky little 103 from Asobo in the MSFS marketplace. It's goofy, but if you want to fly around as fast as a car on city streets, that's your baby.

The Carando planes are on sale, any of them particularly worth picking up?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have the seasons pack as well and I agree that it is really lovely.

I just wish that it would synchronize with the date set in game instead of requiring you to move folders around to change the season, but that's a minor annoyance.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

I have the seasons pack as well and I agree that it is really lovely.

I just wish that it would synchronize with the date set in game instead of requiring you to move folders around to change the season, but that's a minor annoyance.

This is why you use the MSFS Addon Linker https://flightsim.to/file/1572/msfs-addons-linker

Basically acts as a mod manager that lets you enable and disable mods from a simple interface.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Bedurndurn posted:

The 4 seasons tree thing at https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/seasons-available-on-pc-and-xbox/456640 simMarket is loving beautiful. Flying around New England in the fall is basically everything I wanted it to be.
That looks intriguing.

I am not an add-on buyer, but I could be tempted by a small jet, preferably single engine that gets me to where I want to go 2x faster than a personal prop AC. Anything fit the bill?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

slidebite posted:

That looks intriguing.

I am not an add-on buyer, but I could be tempted by a small jet, preferably single engine that gets me to where I want to go 2x faster than a personal prop AC. Anything fit the bill?

T-45C or MB-339, both from Indiafoxtecho.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
The Hawk T1 by Just Flight is coming out soon and looks really good. I haven't bought any DLC planes yet but I'm probably going to pick that one up.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bedurndurn posted:

I picked up the 170B, and I’m enjoying the poo poo out of it.

Big tires for life.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Bedurndurn posted:

The 4 seasons tree thing at [

The Carenado Mooney is still broken (it no longer crashes the sim, but it's now pretty underpowered, the engine dies at idle, and Carenado will probably never fix it), but there's flightsim.to mod that fixes it.

Their Arrow is generally not as good as the Flight1 models, but I think the Seneca and Seminole are supposed to be decent.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I haven't played the Mooney since it was broken. When it was working, it was lovely. Engine sound is nice, and the mix of gauges - analogue instrument cluster, digital engine indicators, garmin gps feeding the analogue CDIs - makes it very adventurous feeling. In other words, I did not regret the purchase. And it really was stupid fast, hope it'll be fixed soon.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

slidebite posted:

That looks intriguing.

The Subsonex sounds right up your alley.

https://secure.simmarket.com/ysim-subsonex-jsx-2-msfs.phtml

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Lord Stimperor posted:

I haven't played the Mooney since it was broken. When it was working, it was lovely. Engine sound is nice, and the mix of gauges - analogue instrument cluster, digital engine indicators, garmin gps feeding the analogue CDIs - makes it very adventurous feeling. In other words, I did not regret the purchase. And it really was stupid fast, hope it'll be fixed soon.

The flightsim.to mod fixes the main issues with the airplane (the engine quitting at idle, and the performance dropoff), but Carenado has historically been pretty poo poo at supporting their products (their usual model is one patch, then abandon it), and their P3d/FSX models largely got fixed by the 3rd party community, so I'd be really shocked if Carenado ever fixed the Mooney.

It actually took them somewhere over a month after sim update 5 came out to patch the airplane so it wouldn't crash MSFS (every other payware developer needed maybe half that long), so Carenado are really pretty poo poo supporting their stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

azflyboy posted:

It actually took them somewhere over a month after sim update 5 came out to patch the airplane so it wouldn't crash MSFS (every other payware developer needed maybe half that long), so Carenado are really pretty poo poo supporting their stuff.
A huge problem is they only sell through the marketplace which takes an eternity to approve stuff. FlyTampa Las Vegas had an elevation/glideslope issues after SU5 which they fixed and released to customers a month ago. I, stupidly, bought it on sale through the marketplace and did not receive the patch until this Thursday.

Wolfy fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 18, 2021