Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

BigglesSWE posted:

I’m guessing hunting bow? But dunno how common that is in Norway. A shame regardless, and hoping for the best for those unfortunate to be involved.

Well I'm kind of glad he didn't have gun I guess, and you can get a gun in Norway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Thank goodness he didn’t bomb an apartment building

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

probably it's a sports bow or something, i have never heard of anyone doing bow hunting in norway

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Ugh, more American cultural imports.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BonHair posted:

Did we cover that Danish police recently came out with an official opinion that legalisation of weed would be very bad, everyone would start using both weed and crack immediately, gangs will continue serving at lower prices and also more violence.

This is of course based on sound empirical research and careful consideration*

*Working backwards from the conclusion and finding a few supporting facts.

"If we legalize weed, people will start using other drugs that are still highly illegal" is such a galaxy brain take, it could only come from the Danish police.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Cynic Jester posted:

Wow, the dental care reform sure is something .

Surely this is only a negotiating move and not what they actually end up with? It was such a big issue, and this is just...nothing.

I suppose it's almost a gift to the left wing parties if they're serious, because they would then have something very popular to hammer them with over and over again.

BigglesSWE posted:

Man went berserk in Norway with bow and arrow. Several deaths and injuries.

Knife too, and five dead now apparently.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

probably it's a sports bow or something, i have never heard of anyone doing bow hunting in norway

Bow hunting isn't legal in Norway.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Bow guy is Danish.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

KozmoNaut posted:

"If we legalize weed, people will start using other drugs that are still highly illegal" is such a galaxy brain take, it could only come from the Danish police.
I think it follows that they should make alcohol illegal, shifting all the users "down" one rung on the substance abuse ladder. Heroin addicts weed users, weed users alcohol drinkers, and alcohol drinkers cheese addicts.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

That's also an american idea, gate-way drugs.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Hasn't the gateway drug theory been thoroughly disproven several times?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If there is any such effect, I think it's because buying weed involves interacting with criminal dealers, who may want to push buyers towards harder and more addictive (and profitable) drugs. It's not the drug itself, smoking weed doesn't make you go "I should do crack".

Legalizing weed removes that interaction, which would be a good thing.

But that would be way too logical, so we won't do it, because WAR ON DRUGS.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Collateral Damage posted:

Hasn't the gateway drug theory been thoroughly disproven several times?

Yes but eternal war on poor and marginalised people is paramount.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Perhaps I’m going to the wrong dealers, but I’ve never once in my decade and change of use, have had any push me towards a different, harder substance.

Like if I wanted to try something entirely different I’d just ask? And even then that’s not how it’s ever happened, usually just “someone has X, want to try?”. Like the vast majority of times I’ve tried something new a dealer was far from the situation, usually it’s just a friend who already does the new substance and is experienced in it.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

If there is any such effect, I think it's because buying weed involves interacting with criminal dealers, who may want to push buyers towards harder and more addictive (and profitable) drugs.
Anecdotally, it's usually more like "sorry, dude, all out of the brown. I have some white though if you'd care for it" – unless maybe in the cities the dealers are all warehousing all kinds of poo poo like heroin; it seems most dealers regular folk come in contact with are more specialized, especially for cannabis.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
In my experience, outside the big cities dealers often sell more than just one thing. I don't think there necessarily is an economic reasoning with the dealer trying to get someone hooked, that's not how they think about it. Most do get quite high own their own supply, despite the aphorism - in fact that's often how they become dealers in the first place. It's more things like asking if you don't want a party drug on top of the chill-out skunk or whatever you're getting. "I just got some pan-galactic gargle blaster in. It's insane!" A lot of young people don't really perceive much of a difference between various drugs for several reasons. One is simply lack of experience, they hear about other people using them, but no ill effects are apparent (yet), another other precisely because they're both criminalized drugs.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

KozmoNaut posted:

If there is any such effect, I think it's because buying weed involves interacting with criminal dealers, who may want to push buyers towards harder and more addictive (and profitable) drugs. It's not the drug itself, smoking weed doesn't make you go "I should do crack".

Legalizing weed removes that interaction, which would be a good thing.

But that would be way too logical, so we won't do it, because WAR ON DRUGS.

Supposedly there's some coke around on Christiania now, too, but that's just another argument for legalisation.

You'd think the cops got kickbacks or something due to how vehemently they defend an utterly failed policy that takes up tens of millions on their budget and lines the pockets of groups like Hells Angels with over a billion every year. I did the math on their "biggest catch ever" a few years ago and it amounted to a fraction of a per mille of the yearly revenue. For all the constant harassment it doesn't make anything resembling a dent.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's very convenient when they want to argue for ever larger budgets, that's the purpose.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
If you fill out your joints with tobacco then smoking weed might well get you into smoking cigarettes, which is indeed an extremely damaging addiction. In that sense at least the gateway drug idea might be right.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Media has begun their digging work.

They can confirm that the murderous archer in Norway did in 2012 buy and consume a minor amount of hashish.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

oh no

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

honestly the value-progressive tendency to assume that the anglophone liberal common-sense of things is Correct sits very uneasily with me, mostly because it inevitably involves trying to solve a problem by turning it into a regulated market, if it has any prescribed solution other than personal virtue

drugs? market and it's fine
sex? market and it's fine
pollution? market and it's fine
poverty? increase their ability to participate in the market, it'll be fine

addicts cannot look at alcohol without instantly going on a bender, emotional sharing is always best except that you should cut toxic people out of your life and are not anyone's therapist, knowledge of a phenomenon is predicated on emotional and social status etc etc. i don't trust it. we should at least try to formulate our problems on our own terms instead of taking our ideas from the most ridiculously broken societies in our geopolitical sphere. there's a tremendous cultural arrogance especially among people with higher education and modern attitudes to things which is only sometimes borne out by any kind of evidence. i do not, as a matter of prejudice, like market solutions to things and will tend to be skeptical of approaches implicitly or explicitly seeing marketisation as a progressive force

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 14, 2021

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
After one year of YH slow schooling and half a year of internship I'm signing the papers for a new career tomorrow! A 30% raise and no more it-janitorial work for this goon. :feelsgood:

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

V. Illych L. posted:

honestly the value-progressive tendency to assume that the anglophone liberal common-sense of things is Correct sits very uneasily with me, mostly because it inevitably involves trying to solve a problem by turning it into a regulated market, if it has any prescribed solution other than personal virtue

drugs? market and it's fine
sex? market and it's fine
pollution? market and it's fine
poverty? increase their ability to participate in the market, it'll be fine

addicts cannot look at alcohol without instantly going on a bender, emotional sharing is always best except that you should cut toxic people out of your life and are not anyone's therapist, knowledge of a phenomenon is predicated on emotional and social status etc etc. i don't trust it. we should at least try to formulate our problems on our own terms instead of taking our ideas from the most ridiculously broken societies in our geopolitical sphere. there's a tremendous cultural arrogance especially among people with higher education and modern attitudes to things which is only sometimes borne out by any kind of evidence. i do not, as a matter of prejudice, like market solutions to things and will tend to be skeptical of approaches implicitly or explicitly seeing marketisation as a progressive force

I think this is evident with prostitution, where often the American progressive view clashes with Nordic model supportSuburexers among European left feminists. And aside from philosophical differences, make some assumptions about effects of legalisation which evidence often doesnt bear out (trafficking increasing for example with more demand of an inelastic supply).

Also regarding gateway drugs it can happen by accident. Have a friend who during the epidemic lost access to his local weed dealer and has to resort to buying from a domestic darknet market with Bitcoin. Anyway, the seller mixed up the order and sent my friend a few pills of Subutex instead which is a pretty major mixup.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 14, 2021

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

Politiet opplyste på en pressekonferanse torsdag at Bråthen har konvertert til islam, og har vært i PSTs fokus med tanke på radikalisering. Ifølge BT kom den opplysningen overraskende på familien.

Uh what the gently caress. Does PST run the FBI playbook where you entrap mentally ill people or what?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Gaukler posted:

Uh what the gently caress. Does PST run the FBI playbook where you entrap mentally ill people or what?

it absolutely would not surprise me. they've been muttering about islamic terror for years now and nobody's been taking them seriously.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

PST has been an extremely shady organisation since before it had that name. it's been one of the most invasive surveillance actors in a europe that contained Actual, No-poo poo Police State DDR and the british deep state, and whenever they've been caught out they've basically shrugged and gotten whatever they got caught doing made legal after the fact. the play ways of seeing was in large part about how dodgy PST has traditionally been

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Gaukler posted:

I'm confused, how did they entrap him?

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

I also noticed them saying they suspected terrorism, Norwegian authorities usually seem reticent to apply that label quickly. Then I saw the “converted to Islam” claim and the pieces fell into place.

The guy had a restraining order against him by his own parents for threatening them (including with a gun) so it kinda seems like this guy was just very mentally unwell. I haven’t seen any sort of manifesto but I know they’re usually hesitant to publish those anyway.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Gaukler posted:

Crespolini posted:

I'm confused, how did they entrap him?

Yeah, what? Someone being looked at for radicalization doesn't mean that there's a secret police tail following your every move 24/7. It seems that mostly they're concerned of someone trying to form a ISIS-IKEA network, they can't really do anything about lone wolves murdering a dozen people or people going abroad to join jihad.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Entrapment was bad phrasing, sorry. I was facetiously referring to the FBI’s habit of goading unstable teens into “radicalizing” and then arresting them.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Gaukler posted:

Entrapment was bad phrasing, sorry. I was facetiously referring to the FBI’s habit of goading unstable teens into “radicalizing” and then arresting them.

And having informants point out potential targets and such. IIRC one of the high-profile terror arrests in Denmark a few years back also had a police agent selling them Kalashnikovs.

Doesn't seem to be the case here, but you have to wonder at how many of these people were suspected radicals already known to police. Same with that guy who almost got Vilks and his nazi friend, but instead settled for a random bystander and a Jewish security guard at a bar mitzvah.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Gaukler posted:

Which obviously doesn't apply here, seeing as the guy wasn't... you know, arrested.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

F4rt5 posted:

Anecdotally, it's usually more like "sorry, dude, all out of the brown. I have some white though if you'd care for it" – unless maybe in the cities the dealers are all warehousing all kinds of poo poo like heroin; it seems most dealers regular folk come in contact with are more specialized, especially for cannabis.

Dealing harder and more profitable substances without an organization behind you is a good way to attract the wrong kind of attention and get shot.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Freudian slippers posted:

Which obviously doesn't apply here, seeing as the guy wasn't... you know, arrested.

there's been several instances in the USA of the federal police basically encouraging unhappy muslims to go out and do crimes, attempting to stop them in the act but occasionally failing. it's not something i would put past PST in principle, but there's been no evidence of it that i can see

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

a few thoughts on the new government:

it represents in may regards a very centre-oriented tendency. the SP right (so the landowner section of the party, basically, represented especially by the party north of Stad) has strengthened its hand, and this is reflected in the taxation/welfare reform positions. SV is going to have to choose its budget battles; probably we're going to see some tax increases, but the government are happy to let SV fight for those. i still expect that there's going to be substantial dental reform - the platform is weasel worded, but this seems like an obvious thing for SV to push, and it's the sort of thing that they'll love to take credit for

they're going nowhere fast on the environment, but the new environment minister is actually kind of a heavy-weight, so expect some creative attempts at disguising their hatred of envrionmental regulation. SV will score some symbolic victories here, but nothing big. probably we're going to see the boondoggle which is electrification of petroleum platforms carried out as part of an offshore wind generation subsidy push.

dirigisme is back. AP has taken all the big economic positions except for finance and staffed them with dirigiste ideologues. fisheries, industrial policy and petroleum policy is going to be significantly less market-driven. this is the one to watch, i think.

i have no idea why they put a 28-year-old game show winner in at justice. Ap must have some psycho with plans as statssekretær, but i don't know that layer of politician well enough to really comment

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Also looking likely that both Troms and Finnmark and Viken counties are going to be dissolved, as was expected beforehand if Ap+Sp did well. I wonder how much this unnecessary and unwanted reform ended up costing the state and society.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Too bad about Andøya. This was the last chance to reverse that irresponsible decision.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Randarkman posted:

Also looking likely that both Troms and Finnmark and Viken counties are going to be dissolved, as was expected beforehand if Ap+Sp did well. I wonder how much this unnecessary and unwanted reform ended up costing the state and society.

Just wait until the next government re-reforms it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

V. Illych L. posted:

probably we're going to see the boondoggle which is electrification of petroleum platforms carried out as part of an offshore wind generation subsidy push.

I saw a presentation about this from Equinor not so long ago. I don't know to what extent it's actually useful (I suspect not much), but the concept of off-shore wind farms being built specifically to power oil extraction is just incredibly funny and tragic to me. Really a powerful symbol of the response to climate change in almost every developed nation.