Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If your attitude on this is anything other than 'gently caress people who drink and drive' then really I don't know what your deal is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Alchenar posted:

If your attitude on this is anything other than 'gently caress people who drink and drive' then really I don't know what your deal is.

right! the police would never stop anyone and conduct as invasive a search as they possibly can without a warrant

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Alchenar posted:

Making cops come correct, even when they're coming for drunk drivers, makes society safer for everyone.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Alchenar posted:

literally nobody here is saying otherwise, so I guess thanks for your input?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I believe what is trying to be communicated here is that there is a balance of harms to consider. If the rules for test/search are too strict, Police abuse the position they are in. If the rules are light, drunk drives are harder to prosecute. There is a balancing act at play here. That's all that's being sad IMO.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I believe what is trying to be communicated here is that there is a balance of harms to consider. If the rules for test/search are too strict, Police abuse the position they are in. If the rules are light, drunk drives are harder to prosecute. There is a balancing act at play here. That's all that's being sad IMO.

I thought I was reading a discussion about why implied consent laws exist, how they function, and why they're constitutional in the presence of the 4th amendment (and where they may cross the line).

Someone else is apparently reading a discussion about how to dodge a DUI so that you can keep driving drunk with this One Weird Trick that Police Hate!

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I think Birchfield got to the right outcome. I absolutely think cops would use the ability to drag people to a clinic/make them wait for a phlebotomist and then stick them to harass people. But adding a breathalyzer blow to a stop they can already do doesn't add much burden for the benefit

I'm not sure about the court's legal reasoning though, I thought the ostensible purpose of warrantless search incident to arrest was just to check for weapons.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Hey, HEY HEY, no fuckin nuance here, on the INTERNET

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
ACAB haha

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Foxfire_ posted:

search incident to arrest

Oh god I just started having flashbacks to CrimPro and ConLaw.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Hi r/legaladvice, I need your help here.

My dad (60M) has fallen down a rabbit hole since Covid started about how the government wants to take away your rights, American is run by a satanic cult that harvests “adrenachrome” from children, etc. Something specific he’s taken an interest to recently is becoming a “state national.” Now, I (17F) have no idea what this is, and though I’ve tried to research it myself, have found no information on it. My dad says that without being a state national, I am a corporation of the United States and not a person in the eyes of the law (or “Land Air Water” according to him). He is currently in the process of making himself a state national, which he claims will allow him to not pay taxes, drive on the road without a license, etc. He wants to make me and my younger siblings state nationals too, but I am very against this. I have no idea what this state national crap is, and I am scared my dad will go behind our back and make me and my siblings state nationals without our consent. I’ve tried to talk sense into him and tell him I’m not comfortable with the idea, but he won’t hear it. I’m afraid that I have no say because I’m a minor and he might be tampering with my citizenship. Can he make me a state national without my consent? Is this even a real thing? I am so confused and scared!

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Congrats, your dad is becoming a sovereign citizen.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

therobit posted:

Hi r/legaladvice, I need your help here.

My dad (60M) has fallen down a rabbit hole since Covid started about how the government wants to take away your rights, American is run by a satanic cult that harvests “adrenachrome” from children, etc. Something specific he’s taken an interest to recently is becoming a “state national.” Now, I (17F) have no idea what this is, and though I’ve tried to research it myself, have found no information on it. My dad says that without being a state national, I am a corporation of the United States and not a person in the eyes of the law (or “Land Air Water” according to him). He is currently in the process of making himself a state national, which he claims will allow him to not pay taxes, drive on the road without a license, etc. He wants to make me and my younger siblings state nationals too, but I am very against this. I have no idea what this state national crap is, and I am scared my dad will go behind our back and make me and my siblings state nationals without our consent. I’ve tried to talk sense into him and tell him I’m not comfortable with the idea, but he won’t hear it. I’m afraid that I have no say because I’m a minor and he might be tampering with my citizenship. Can he make me a state national without my consent? Is this even a real thing? I am so confused and scared!

rip her and her family.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, so this is all part of the sovereign citizen play book. I'm *somewhat * sure that the 'state national' is not a real thing and just made up sov cit bullshit (which is pretty common).

I only know enough to point and laugh at them on YouTube

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
But just to be clear: yes, this is all crazy loving bullshit

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
This is made up and does not goof up your citizenship.

Genuinely curious though - how does a 17 year old find out and care enough to buy an account for SomethingAwful in tyool 2021?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Nonexistence posted:

This is made up and does not goof up your citizenship.

Genuinely curious though - how does a 17 year old find out and care enough to buy an account for SomethingAwful in tyool 2021?

With an 08 reg date no less!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Nonexistence posted:

By becoming a State National, of course

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

is it illegal to quote some bad reddit post without sourcing it, and if so, what kind of lawyer would someone need if they did that?
In theory, asking for someone else

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

is it illegal to quote some bad reddit post without sourcing it, and if so, what kind of lawyer would someone need if they did that?
In theory, asking for someone else

Criminal Code of Something Awful, §4.20(69)a: Anyone who commits the act of unsourced quoting of reddit is guilty of a summary offense punishable by no more than six (6) hours of probation.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I was going to type up an explanation but since I am being accused of posting crimes I will have to stop posting until my attorney blarzgh can advise and possibly answer for me.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I did NoT create joinder!!!

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

you post unsourced? you pass posts like the football? oh! oh! jail for therobit! jail for therobit for One Thousand Years!!!!

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
While we on the topic of crazy things sovereign citizens like to talk about, what's the deal with capitalization in legal documents? Example: the MIT License, an open source thing:

quote:

Copyright © 2021 <copyright holders>

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the “Software”), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED “AS IS”, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

Is there any significance to the all-caps section? To me it seems like the first part is "ok here's what you can do" and the second part is yelling for emphasis AND YOU BETTER NOT SUE US. But I'm not sure yelling is really a recognized legal construct. (Source: The Office)

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Captain von Trapp posted:

While we on the topic of crazy things sovereign citizens like to talk about, what's the deal with capitalization in legal documents? Example: the MIT License, an open source thing:

Is there any significance to the all-caps section? To me it seems like the first part is "ok here's what you can do" and the second part is yelling for emphasis AND YOU BETTER NOT SUE US. But I'm not sure yelling is really a recognized legal construct. (Source: The Office)

The specifics depend on the jurisdiction, but a lot of states have laws that says for [X] to be valid in a consumer contract, it has to be "conspicuous" or such and so they capitalize it like that

[X] of course generally being waiver of something meaningful, from any warranties in this case, to procedural rights that would prevent effective consumer redress, like to a jury trial, or class actions, or to a court at all in the case of arbitration.

EDIT: also what he said vvvvv, where specifically required by statute/regulation. As another example, if you actually look at your credit card terms and conditions, there are going to be certain things in bold, in larger font, etc, and all of that is going to be dictated by Truth in Lending Act regulations.

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 15, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Some statutes require specific text, and sometimes that text has formatting requirements. For example, in Florida, contingency fee agreements must contain specific verbiage. In every agreement, the statutory language is copied directly from Florida statutes, so the formatting is whatever was passed into law. That all caps thing probably has a similar source in some federal statute.

Basically it’s because people are lazy and copy/paste things. Some statutes require specific formatting for things to include all caps, but that’s typically signage and mostly size requirements.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
if its in all caps, you are more likely to read it. in reality you threw the terms and conditions away without even looking at them or simply scrolled through the agreement as fast as possible and clicked next

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Well I identify as a corporation, and my corporate personhood is unable to read and I am therefore immune to prosecutions and solicitations of the non-accepted written material described. Furthermore it is discriminatory to ask for my consent, as it is de facto coerced as a logically proven consequence of determinism

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

EwokEntourage posted:

if its in all caps, you are more likely to read it. in reality you threw the terms and conditions away without even looking at them or simply scrolled through the agreement as fast as possible and clicked next
I'm doing my part to support an argument that the EULA isn't binding because no reasonable person will read it!

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Foxfire_ posted:

I'm doing my part to support an argument that the EULA isn't binding because no reasonable person will read it!

To be fair it's hard to have a meeting of the minds between a citizen, sovereign or otherwise, and 20 lawyers who have 5 years of experience drafting agreements that are intentionally impossible to understand and effectively reserve all rights to the corporation.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Humans are corporations.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
and corporations are people my friend

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

EwokEntourage posted:

I mean yes, exactly, but I'm in this picture and don't like it.jpg

I assume they all say we can do whatever you want and there is no recourse for you about any of it.

Do you all read EULAs?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

no one reads eulas

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
You never click through without reading something according to the EULA I wrote

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
In my younger, more-willing-to-piss-off-my-boss days, the company I worked for made everyone put one of those “if you read this and you’re not the intended recipient then you must contact us by carrier pigeon” disclaimers at the bottom of our email signature. I added in “if you are reading this and you are the intended recipient then you owe me $5” to mine, and left it there for 4 years. Only one person ever (apparently) read it and noticed.

Thread-relevant: I assume those are basically nonsense, but is there any situation in which (assuming the person writing it is competent, and not a trust fund kid who happens to own a company) those disclaimers actually encumber the recipient somehow?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
If it's within the same company, they could fire you.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Guy Axlerod posted:

If it's within the same company, they could fire you.

If it’s Tuesday they could fire you

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Sonic Dude posted:

Thread-relevant: I assume those are basically nonsense, but is there any situation in which (assuming the person writing it is competent, and not a trust fund kid who happens to own a company) those disclaimers actually encumber the recipient somehow?
Insider trading? If you get a misaddressed email about company X planning to buy company Y, it's illegal to trade using that information if you know or should have known that it's nonpublic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Sonic Dude posted:

In addition to things like the insider trading mentioned above, there's a number of things in litigation where it's like, "you can't just call this stuff 'proprietary' or 'confidential', you have to actually take steps to treat it as such." So much of that disclaimer stuff and lots of other things are less about magic email words that make you forget you ever read it, and more about showing a jury some years down the road that all this information that was being circulated was considered confidential at the time, therefore the bad guy in this case should not have done whatever he did with it.