Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
has no one told fadam that they’re a villain in an anime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Strong Sauce posted:

all i know about yugi-oh is he could suspiciously top-deck any card he needed. i only saw the early episodes though

His superpower was literally being able to cheat any card to the top of his deck. Its like, explicit

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Unironically Relinquished is really easy to do as a Magic card. Pay a cost, exile target creature, Relinquished has the types, effects, power and toughness of all creatures exiled by its own effect. Place one creature exiled by Relinquished in its owner's graveyard, Relinquished becomes indestructible this turn.

Make it a Colorless or White/Black Angel horror.

Most Yugioh cards actually do translate well to Magic cards because Magic has things like simplified wording and keywords.

This ridiculous monstrosity could get pared down to 5-6 lines easily.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

mandatory lesbian posted:

His superpower was literally being able to cheat any card to the top of his deck. Its like, explicit

That's just because he believes in the heart of the cards.

I've only seen like 4 episodes

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Yu-Gi-Oh owns because Konami does whatever the hell they want in terms of the art so you end up with a bunch of ridiculous archetypes to meet whatever flavor of lore it is you enjoy, and then you can actually make use of all the cards in your deck via all the tutoring and side deck stuff

Also for the most part they reprint poo poo into the ground so the cool holos generally still hold value but you can pick up really cheap versions if you want

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Sickening posted:

On the topic of grifters and grifting, the judges academy is still a thing?

Yes, but who knows where it's going. They dropped membership fees down to $75/year (regardless of level, so L2 and L3 don't pay more anymore) but the foil packets aren't automatic anymore (I think).

With organized play basically gone at this point, who even knows. If/when actual GPs/Magic Fests/whatever return, then maybe judges become a thing again. (Or if JA gets those partnerships going with other games, but with FF stuck on hold with Keyforge at the moment, I don't see anything other than the ones that work for Channel Fireball also helping run FaB events on the side.)

I still run prereleases at a local store (or would if I were available; I wasn't for the last few) and there's no need to be a member of JA to do that.

Honestly, even if it weren't JA but the old DCI/Judge Program, WotC has pretty much eliminated any point to being a "Certified" judge. The main point was that certain events required that certification to work them, and those events ran because players were trying to win their way up the ladder.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

TheKingofSprings posted:

Most Yugioh cards actually do translate well to Magic cards because Magic has things like simplified wording and keywords.

This ridiculous monstrosity could get pared down to 5-6 lines easily.

I was just amused by Relinquished because I'm on and off doing a set of DM cards as MtG cards and Relinquished is one of them.

It also has Dark Magician (Legendary Wizard, 4 activated abilities to represent the spells and traps that support him in Yugioh), Blue Eyes White Dragon (sadly not a Blue/White Dragon, but lets you control 3 of them and reduces the cost for each you control), Flame Swordsman (I'm particularly proud of him, he gains Mentor for each Enchantment and Equipment attached to him, as a representation of Joey being the big leader friend).

Bunch of other stuff too.

triple sulk posted:

Yu-Gi-Oh owns because Konami does whatever the hell they want in terms of the art so you end up with a bunch of ridiculous archetypes to meet whatever flavor of lore it is you enjoy, and then you can actually make use of all the cards in your deck via all the tutoring and side deck stuff

Also for the most part they reprint poo poo into the ground so the cool holos generally still hold value but you can pick up really cheap versions if you want

Absolutely, I adore the Ogdoadic Art for example (Ogdoad actually also is an archetype that probably works in MtG pretty well, as it's largely summon from graveyard by sacrificing monsters on the field thematically). Magical Musketeers also have a really funky demon cowboy thing going on.

Ogdoadic Overlord is very slick.

As is Magical Musket Mastermind Zakiel.

Also for the record the Yami (Dark) Yugi who takes over during duels and is a ghost from the puzzle absolutely has super powers that allow him to control luck and chance in games, him top-decking what he needs is explicitly a magical power (although usually only used for saving the world). By the later series decks from the Anime not only got good, but some of them were legitimately tier 1 meta threats for long periods of time, so that's pretty rad.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 14, 2021

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Shoutout to the protagonist whose ace card actually got banned out of the game

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Shoutout to the protagonist whose ace card actually got banned out of the game

That guy from GX or someone else?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Lord_Magmar posted:

I was just amused by Relinquished because I'm on and off doing a set of DM cards as MtG cards and Relinquished is one of them.

It also has Dark Magician (Legendary Wizard, 4 activated abilities to represent the spells and traps that support him in Yugioh), Blue Eyes White Dragon (sadly not a Blue/White Dragon, but lets you control 3 of them and reduces the cost for each you control), Flame Swordsman (I'm particularly proud of him, he gains Mentor for each Enchantment and Equipment attached to him, as a representation of Joey being the big leader friend).

Bunch of other stuff too.

Yo that sounds sick. Would you mind sharing what you've got so far?

Kild posted:

No, he's talking about Yusaku, the protagonist of the recent Vrains series. His ace, Firewall Dragon, got banned for causing OTK loops and had to get errata'd.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Kild posted:

From VRAINS. The protagonist ace ended up banned for being super hardcore busted and they had to rewrite the anime because of it.

serefin99 posted:

Yo that sounds sick. Would you mind sharing what you've got so far?

I’m not against it, but it’s pretty late for me and I’m not sure what the etiquette would be for doing so in this thread. I can send you a link to the google doc through PM in a couple of hours if you like? Or if more people want to see it in the thread I can post some of them here, it’s just mechanical designs and mana costs for now, no art mock-ups.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 14, 2021

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kild posted:

Jaden's ace card was Pot of Greed so this is technically true

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

dragon enthusiast posted:

the core conceit of ixalan is dinosaurs vs pirates

dinosaurs predate the middle ages and so do pirates do I dunno what ya on

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

dinosaurs predate the middle ages and so do pirates do I dunno what ya on

Bullshit, Charlemagne founded the Holy Roman Empire off the back of his Ankylosaurus regiment

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The most active period of Viking activity predates what you'd consider traditionally to be "The Middle Ages" too in terms of Knightly Romance so where's the hate for Kaldheim

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Qwertycoatl posted:

I watched an episode of Yu-Gi-Oh, and I have no real idea how the game works, I was only able to pick up enough to realise that the main character was playing a very bad deck and only won by fluke

he literally gets possessed by a magical cheater lol

Also Eleven looks busted as hell, I want her

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

fadam posted:

Is a bad version of Tymna in Grixis still good? I guess we'll see.

These look like poo poo and I suspect the UBRG partners friends forever are going to be CEDH playable, but the good news is that if they ever get Drake to play on that YouTube show that Post Malone was on there's at least one commander he'll be interested in.

So it's worth pointing out that while Friends Forever is a copy of the Partner mechanic, it's not actually printable as either Partner or Partner with X because you're currently only allowed to play Jim + Eleven as your commanders, not any other Partner commanders. And this will in theory extend to any other Friends Forever cards they might make, which makes it different from Partner with X.

That means when it becomes reprinted Magic cards with different names, they'll either be functionally changing the cards significantly by changing the mechanic to Partner, making "Friends Forever" just an additional mechanic, or making a new mechanic with a more "Magic-sounding" name that is exactly the same as Partner but also distinct so it doesn't work with existing Partners.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ultima66 posted:

So it's worth pointing out that while Friends Forever is a copy of the Partner mechanic, it's not actually printable as either Partner or Partner with X because you're currently only allowed to play Jim + Eleven as your commanders, not any other Partner commanders. And this will in theory extend to any other Friends Forever cards they might make, which makes it different from Partner with X.

That means when it becomes reprinted Magic cards with different names, they'll either be functionally changing the cards significantly by changing the mechanic to Partner, making "Friends Forever" just an additional mechanic, or making a new mechanic with a more "Magic-sounding" name that is exactly the same as Partner but also distinct so it doesn't work with existing Partners.

They're just going to change it to partner, so far all the good guys are partner commanders.

https://twitter.com/coL_AliasV/status/1448711249173401603

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I think the issue is that Partner is wildly broken if you can just pick any two, so this is an effort to rein that in. Presumably the other ST cards have it too.

E: confirmed separate by Forsythe. I'd expect more variants in the future.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/1448667016986959879?s=21

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 14, 2021

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Ultima66 posted:

I suspect it's gonna be the latter, or they'll just keep it as Friends Forever. They're not going to give us 3 colour partners I don't think.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

They're just going to change it to partner, so far all the good guys are partner commanders.

It would be insanely busted and a dramatically different effect.

fadam fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 14, 2021

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Pairing the green white one with the Grixis commander gives you all 5 colors so I'd expect to see that pair show up a ton now

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/1448667016986959879

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

fadam posted:

I suspect it's gonna be the latter, or they'll just keep it as Friends Forever. They're not going to give us 3 colour partners I don't think.

It would be insanely busted and a dramatically different effect.

I don't really see why it's that different from the Commander Legends partners but w/e it's a moot point anyway

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Pairing the green white one with the Grixis commander gives you all 5 colors so I'd expect to see that pair show up a ton now

Yeah I think so too lol. Probably worse than just playing Kenrith or Najeela (unless there's an obvious application for the GW guy's ability), but 5 colours is 5 colours.

I don't really see why it's that different from the Commander Legends partners but w/e it's a moot point anyway

You don't see why giving Tymna or Thrasios access to five colours (or Jeska access to four!) is different than...not giving those commanders access to those colors?

If they were all two colour you might be right, but I suspect wanting to make Eleven grixis for some reason (lore?) pushed them into doing it this way.

fadam fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 14, 2021

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

the point is that if they just had 'partner' you could pair them with any other currently printed partner commander in the game, and 'partners with' only allows for a set pair (where these are intended to be mix and match within their pool)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Mike/Eleven are a worse 5c commander than like half a a dozen existing ones. They are both low-medium power on their own and don't synergies at all.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ultima66 posted:

I propose "Bosom Buddies"

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I really don't like that art, it's too realistic but at the same time not enough, just doesn't look good.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

https://twitter.com/coL_AliasV/status/1448711249173401603

drat, why’d they have to make Dustin complete and utter rear end?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Cards are ugly

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Jaden's ace card was Pot of Greed so this is technically true

I was thinking of the Cyber Dragon dude.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

Is a bad version of Tymna in Grixis still good? I guess we'll see.

These look like poo poo and I suspect the UBRG partners friends forever are going to be CEDH playable, but the good news is that if they ever get Drake to play on that YouTube show that Post Malone was on there's at least one commander he'll be interested in.

Neat. I'm out of eternal formats so these are the same as promos to me and I think they're cute.

FE: I didn't know that stranger things was going to have it's own 'partner' pool which I think kinda sucks because while Hopper and Eleven are friends, Hopper hates the rest of the kids.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Neat. I'm out of eternal formats so these are the same as promos to me and I think they're cute.

FE: I didn't know that stranger things was going to have it's own 'partner' pool which I think kinda sucks because while Hopper and Eleven are friends, Hopper hates the rest of the kids.

I can’t imagine that Tymna and Kraum are buddies either but here we are.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Mike/Eleven are a worse 5c commander than like half a a dozen existing ones. They are both low-medium power on their own and don't synergies at all.

I expect some unrevealed cards will have more synergy

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

HootTheOwl posted:

Hopper hates the rest of the kids.

What show were you even watching?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kild posted:

I was thinking of the Cyber Dragon dude.

His ace was also Pot of Greed

E: His real, real ace was Future Fusion which actually did get banned so this is accurate

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Toshimo posted:

What show were you even watching?

The one where the guy adopts eleven as his daughter and is therefore trapped in trope hell where he has to hate his daughter's boyfriend

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

HootTheOwl posted:

The one where the guy adopts eleven as his daughter and is therefore trapped in trope hell where he has to hate his daughter's boyfriend

I've never watched this show but it sounds like it sucks

e: ok wait now in imagining it as Eleven from third strike and it's much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

e: ok wait now in imagining it as Eleven from third strike and it's much better

That's Twelve (Eleven is the hosed up Random Select guy from SFV I think), but the show would be over in ten minutes. DND monsters can't block wall glide mix ups.