Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I read this at first as “half of Americans got high today” and was trying to guess what day it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

I read this at first as “half of Americans got high today” and was trying to guess what day it was.

I mean, it'd have to be April 20th

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

OnlyBans posted:

Stuff that definitely, totally happened.

I eagerly await the follow-up about how you ran a 4-minute mile and don't see why folks are saying its tough.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

OnlyBans posted:

The data you are presenting doesn't do your argument any favors since at a place where rich people have the means to cheat, the scores are still low. I would expect an expensive private school would be the kind of place where the edge-case of expensive cheating is more normalized. People clearly have the money. So, again, it doesn't seem like buying answers or getting special accommodations are actually what is driving the inequality in the system.

Your private school has an average score of 1440 -- I'd like to see the SD on that since there is an upward bound that puts a lot of downward pressure on the number. But let's compare that with some good public schools:

Best public school in Virginia has an average score of 1515

Best public school in New Jersey has an average score of 1502

Best public school in Ohio has an average score of 1480

Best public school in California has an average score of 1380

Best public school in Idaho has an average score of 1090

Best public school in Wisconsin has an average score of 1340

Best public school in Florida has an average score of 1380

Best public school in New York has an average score of 1465

Best public school in Massachusetts has an average score of 1457

Best public school in Texas has an average score of 1446

So, taking a grab bag of states you've got average scores of 1406+/-124 (1441+/-60 if you exclude the failson Idaho).

So, you've got plenty of public schools outperforming or matching the snooty private school.

Again, it's like voter fraud where you catch a few small high profile cases and call it a victory.

Yay, Philliam H Muffman is in jail! We punished the bad guys and solved inequality in education because it was just a few bad apples. Just like how Chauvin being convicted means we've solved police brutality!

It's flashy and makes people feel good but it doesn't do anything to actually address the systemic problems.

An amount of rich kids cheat the system in a variety of ways like special accommodations, having someone else take the test, etc. But that amount rounds down to zero. What's more insidious is that the system is set up to let rich kids succeed because we've segregated our education system. Going after outliers reinforces the system because it lets people think problems are being addressed when it is all smoke and mirrors.

The unjust system continues and a few decadent celebrities are punished in the public space and people feel like it is justice.

It is tokenism for morons.

please explain how this advances your thesis that "the SAT is incredibly easy if you go to a good school" and that you got a college-worthy score at age 13 and aced it the second time.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

One time when I was in school, I forgot to show up to an exam assessing students for admittance into MENSA. Now I know more about the kinds of people who get into MENSA, I feel like I kinda dodged a bullet.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Some folks just stop reading at "PYF awful" and think, got it

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Also remember that at fancy private schools everyone takes the SAT/ACT, because even stupid rich kids go to college. Whereas even at good public schools most kids won't bother taking the test unless they're planning on college. So you're comparing the total cohort at one school to a selected fraction at the other.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Red Bones posted:

One time when I was in school, I forgot to show up to an exam assessing students for admittance into MENSA. Now I know more about the kinds of people who get into MENSA, I feel like I kinda dodged a bullet.

Oh, me too. When I was in 4th grade my English teacher thought I was mentally disabled and they made me do an IQ test. Like a proper one administered over multiple days by a psychologist sent by the school board. It turned out I was pretty smart and just really quiet, and I remember the dumb teacher saying "he could be in MENSA!" and boy I'm glad nobody ever pushed me to do that. I mean what kind of person gets off bragging about their supposed mathematically verified intellectual ability to a bunch of random people in irrelevant situations

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

I mean what kind of person gets off bragging about their supposed mathematically verified intellectual ability to a bunch of random people in irrelevant situations

No real smart person does that, not with all the rubix cubes they are constantly finishing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rubik's cube. the inventor was named rubik

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

All the cool kids decided it's now spelt with an X.

Sorry :(

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

Thank you

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Has anyone said “SAT on deez nuts” yet

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/GraphCrimes/status/1448459925529763844

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Has anyone said “SAT on deez nuts” yet
No, but you've been admitted to UC Compton.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Personal anecdote, hardly evidence, but when I moved from a private all girls school to a public one, the difference was mind-boggling. It was like stepping down three grades. Despite being extremely mentally ill at the time, I could pass every class with ease, just from my knowledge from private school. Except art class. They actually taught kids, whereas in the private school it was kind of just an art themed free time. I squeaked by with a D. So even schools that have students who test poorly may be good in other areas.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Red Bones posted:

Isn't it like the assessment for admittance into scientology?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

i forgot my SAT score the instant i got admitted to college. and it was the college I wanted to go to!

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I took the sats during that brief window when it was 2400 points so I get to brag about getting a 1500 :smuggo:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My favorite part of the SATs was the proctor, bit by bit, lowering the standards for the copied statement from "in handwritten script" to "print but connect the letters to pretend it's script" to "try to at least print legibly, and use lowercase letters where appropriate.
..fine, just make smaller versions of the capitals you know."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Do you know how many people actually get a 1600 on the SAT every year?

It is about 500 students out of 2 million, or 0.025% of the total. It is a big enough deal that in most average sized towns, a student getting a 1600 will get a little blurb announcing it in the local newspaper.

I assume you're just trolling at this point but in the off chance that you're an idiot-savant who did get an exceptional score and doesn't realize that isn't normal: please realize this. People are really gonna dislike you if you go around talking about your 1590 and saying the test was really easy.

Nah tons of students get 1600 first try, the SAT is super easy.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 03:58 on Oct 15, 2021

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
:weasel:

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Tunicate posted:

I assumed the only possible scores were 0-1600, but even if we revise that x-axis to start at 0 it would end at 1800?

jeebus bob has a new favorite as of 07:57 on Oct 15, 2021

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Mescal posted:

Isn't it like the assessment for admittance into scientology?
It's a bunch of pattern recognition, logic, and anagram puzzles pulled straight from Reader's Digest. One of my high school English classes did the test for some reason and I got yelled at because there was a power outage 10 minutes in. Thanks for calling me smart but I'm pretty sure I can't influence whether or not a tree falls on power lines down the block.

For the rest of that class, every time we used the computer lab for something, I made sure to take the same seat and our brilliant teacher never made the connection between power issues and the fact that I could hit the power switch on the surge protector with however many surge protectors plugged into it were needed for 24 computers and CRT monitors. Nobody ratted me out because he got so frustrated and I feel absolutely no remorse because he was the only high school teacher dumb enough to call global warming a hoax back in 2001.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
powerful geochemists.ppt energy in a seminar I just sat in on

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

jeebus bob posted:

I assumed the only possible scores were 0-1600, but even if we revise that x-axis to start at 0 it would end at 1800?

In 2006 the SAT added an essay section worth an additional 800 points, so it was scored out of 2400. In 2016 they switched to scoring the essay separately and went back to reporting the total math and verbal scores out of 1600. This year they discontinued the essay entirely.

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 12:05 on Oct 15, 2021

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I hate the SAT because my mom kept signing me up for it because anything less than the max was unacceptable to her. All it really did was cut into what little free time I had.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i flunked math & my teacher was like wtf

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
"Way to flunk!"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

This year they discontinued the essay entirely.

Good. Pretty much all testing has some kind of flaw, but essay writing on a short timer is about the worst of the worst.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

jeebus bob posted:

Much like FICO, the SAT bottoms out well before 0. This has to do with some wizardry around score distributions to make the top score (800 for each SAT section/1600 total, and 850 FICO) line up to the correct percentile of the group. The old joke is that you get 400 point for writing your name and aren't punished for wrong answers. Based on the scale, roughly as many test takers get <600 as score >1550, so there is quite a lower-bound tail

The wikipage has a breakdown of score distributions showing this. I coulda sworn that they did a distribution for each test taken, but it looks like that was a rumor from my HS days.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

There's a lot to enjoy here, but I appreciate the simple Oklahoman depressiveness of "Okay"

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Captain DIEgiene posted:

There's a lot to enjoy here, but I appreciate the simple Oklahoman depressiveness of "Okay"

Was about to say "Parachute, CO how boring" but then goddammit Oregon

e: also Ohio

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
There's a lot of KEEP PORTLAND WEIRD branding around, mostly bumper stickers, but my favorite was when I saw a bumper sticker:

KEEP BORING BORING

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Vavrek posted:

There's a lot of KEEP PORTLAND WEIRD branding around, mostly bumper stickers, but my favorite was when I saw a bumper sticker:

KEEP BORING BORING

That's legit great

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

So nobody's going to point out Booger Hole, WV?

A more dignified state would go with "Nostril", but you do you, WV.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

MrUnderbridge posted:

So nobody's going to point out Booger Hole, WV?

A more dignified state would go with "Nostril", but you do you, WV.

Ohhh, well la-de-da Mr. Frenchman

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Tunicate posted:

looks normal to me

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Outrail posted:

looks normal to me

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Memento posted:

powerful geochemists.ppt energy in a seminar I just sat in on

Geology and soil science is basically ecology for people who can retain information but don't have the imagination to do anything with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Outrail posted:

looks normal to me

It's a little too skewed.