Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Epic High Five posted:

Bigger than before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I hate cars :) :) :) :)

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

gently caress you

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

heres a delightful story from where i live: https://abc13.com/6-year-old-hit-and-killed-after-getting-off-school-bus-in-nw-houston/11125591/

quote:

A Houston family is mourning the loss of their little girl after she was struck and killed shortly after getting off a school bus in northwest Houston.

It happened just before 5 p.m. Wednesday in the 9600 block of West Montgomery Road in the Acres Homes area.

The 6-year-old girl was walking home after the school bus dropped her off at the Garden City Apartment Complex.

According to police, the child was crossing the street, not in a crosswalk, when a black Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck hit her.

[...]

HPD has offered its sincere condolences to the family, and says the driver is most likely experiencing grief as well, knowing he unintentionally killed a child.

it's good that the police are thinking of the real victim here, the driver.

anyway let's look on google maps and see what what the street looks like

awesome, looks super safe! another triumph for urban planning in houston.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

heres a delightful story from where i live: https://abc13.com/6-year-old-hit-and-killed-after-getting-off-school-bus-in-nw-houston/11125591/

it's good that the police are thinking of the real victim here, the driver.

anyway let's look on google maps and see what what the street looks like

awesome, looks super safe! another triumph for urban planning in houston.

looking at it on google street view is even worse:

:stonklol: where the gently caress is the crosswalk??????

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 20:47 on Oct 14, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

My previous boss, who was a nephrologist, moved to a position within that giant Texas Medical Center complex just SW of downtown Houston, and asked if I wanted to move down there to work for him again

lol right

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

quote:

According to police, the child was crossing the street, not in a crosswalk, when a black Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck hit her.

according to pigs who were not present, the child was no angel for she was ILLEGALLY crossing the six lanes of traffic while oUTSIDE the magic painted lines, when an innocent, god-fearing Black Prism™ Chevrolet™ Silverado™ occupied the same space of her criminal body. the driver, who just murdered a child, may have also felt grief, as one does.

anyway :d2a: gently caress cars

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
lol this thread has gone ulock bellingcat

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Radirot posted:

looking at it on google street view is even worse:

:stonklol: where the gently caress is the crosswalk??????

if they put in crosswalks, then drivers would feel pressure to drive more carefully, which means slowing down, which is annoying. Better for people to die once in a while

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

watching this again, it kinda sucks because he doesn't mention cars at all. he just angrily shits on modern buildings and modern civic spaces and demands that we build better ones without once mentioning the root cause: they're bad because they prioritize convenience for drivers (lots of parking, wide roads)

edit: well on second thought I guess the thumbnail image literally contains the phrase "The National Automobile Slum" lol... but he doesn't really mention it in the talk

he goes more into cars in his book.

https://docdro.id/GdrnQh5

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
crosswalks without stop lights/signs shouldnt exist especially on multi lane roads

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they say the hardest part about being a tesla owner is having to explain to your parents what bitcoin is

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Dolphin posted:

they say the hardest part about being a tesla owner is having to explain to your parents what bitcoin is

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

actionjackson posted:

how do you even move there if you are in the US, do you need to have some special skill where an employer would hire you over someone German?

Anywhere from very hard, to actually pretty easy, depending on your skills and education. If you have a four year degree or higher, and your field pays decently, a blue card is straightforward for Germany and some other EU countries. If you speak a bit of German it can get you to permanent residency inside of two years there.

i say swears online posted:

lots of modern pedestrian bridges are over engineered and like eight times the size they should be, I don't get it

just go back to making them out of rope and planks and replace the cars underneath with crocodiles

In Portland they've been doing this because all of the existing bridges are going to get annihilated in a big earthquake of the sort the west coast is overdue for, so any new crossings get built up to such a standard that they can be backup options for emergency vehicles when all of the older road bridges disintegrate.

Anyway, I hate cars and we should at minimum ban them from every city center.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

paul_soccer12 posted:

lol this thread has gone ulock bellingcat

lol i can drive over there and take pictures if that would make you feel better, the block of the street and name of the apartment complex are in the article. its not like we're looking up military equipment on wikipedia.

actionjackson posted:

My previous boss, who was a nephrologist, moved to a position within that giant Texas Medical Center complex just SW of downtown Houston, and asked if I wanted to move down there to work for him again

lol right

honestly the TMC is one of the best served places by public transport in the city (lol) and the sidewalks are very wide and nice. if you get a place to live near the light rail you definitely won't ever need to drive to work. which is good because parking in the TMC is insanely expensive and most employers don't cover it i hear.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

crosswalks without stop lights/signs shouldnt exist especially on multi lane roads

So paint can't protect people but a red lightbulb can??

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

super nailgun posted:

Anywhere from very hard, to actually pretty easy, depending on your skills and education. If you have a four year degree or higher, and your field pays decently, a blue card is straightforward for Germany and some other EU countries. If you speak a bit of German it can get you to permanent residency inside of two years there

thanks, that's good to know - my field is actually on the job list (statistician), and I have a masters degree, and the other requirements would be no problem, except I don't know any German. Where would I even look for jobs in this field, specifically in Germany? I use indeed here in the US. I would also think that employers would figure I can just do the job remotely (which I can)

lobster shirt posted:

honestly the TMC is one of the best served places by public transport in the city (lol) and the sidewalks are very wide and nice. if you get a place to live near the light rail you definitely won't ever need to drive to work. which is good because parking in the TMC is insanely expensive and most employers don't cover it i hear.

I posted this earlier in the thread originally and people said this idea was insane lol

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 22:15 on Oct 14, 2021

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

well you'd need a car to get anywhere else but if you're close to the light rail and working in the TMC you won't need to drive to work.

houston sucks though i wish to leave lol

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

actionjackson posted:

I posted this earlier in the thread originally and people said this idea was insane lol

i do think that if reducing car dependence is important to you then moving to houston is probably a bad idea

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

yeah there are reasons not to move to Houston which aren’t just lack of access to a walkable life

not going to judge anyone who decides to (or has to), regardless of whether they can do this TMC life thing or not, but when I was a kid the most notable indicator that we were approaching Houston on the highway (we drove through to visit family in Galveston) was the taste of the refineries on the air

e: also would have been p. nice to do those 10hr car trips in 5-6 on a train

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Phoenix is basically a giant suburb that stretches for miles and miles. Population of Philadelphia in a city the size of loving Los Angeles lmfao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dolphin posted:

Phoenix is basically a giant suburb that stretches for miles and miles. Population of Philadelphia in a city the size of loving Los Angeles lmfao

my mom lives on the periphery, i feel so bad for her having to drive literally everywhere. easy access to tucson i guess

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

actionjackson posted:

thanks, that's good to know - my field is actually on the job list (statistician), and I have a masters degree, and the other requirements would be no problem, except I don't know any German. Where would I even look for jobs in this field, specifically in Germany? I use indeed here in the US. I would also think that employers would figure I can just do the job remotely (which I can)

If you're serious, it's not going to be easy. I managed to get absurdly lucky and get a job in the EU. I worked as a consultant and met maybe about 2000 other engineers in my industry across Europe and not a single one was American. The non-Europeans I did meet had usually obtained graduate degrees in the EU. This is hugely helpful because you can make connections while studying, and getting a job is so much easier if you know the right people, plus a lot of countries make it very easy to get a work permit if you graduate from one of their universities. Maybe you should consider getting a second masters or a PhD in the country you want to live in, that's what I was going to do before I got lucky. Double down and convince a local to marry you while you're studying and you'll be set.

I don't know how in demand your skill set is so maybe it will be easier for you but I honestly doubt it. Its worth it though and not impossible. But have you actually been to Germany? Why are you fixed on Germany specifically?

PS: I've hired someone on the Blue Card program before and I had to prove to the local authorities that i couldn't find a local candidate with the same skillset, which required running a job advert for the position for 30 days and proving none of the applicants were qualified. It was easy for me because I really wanted the guy i was hiring and wrote the job description tailored to his resume but again, that's not an everyday hiring.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Your city has decided to build a brand new rapid transit system. it will be fast, efficient, and get you to almost any destination. however, instead of taxes, it is paid in human sacrifice. you have a 1% chance that every time you board one of the trolleys, it will be the Incin-o-Trrolley, which immediately incinerates all occupants once the doors close

there is no way to determine which trolley is the Incin-O-Trolley when a trolley arrives at a station

as a bonus, each trolley randomly spews white hot flames out the sides, occasionally incinerating people who are walking close to it

you cannot access food, housing or employment without taking or going near this system

do you ride the trolleys

incidentally the system was made by Tesla

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

in case you didn’t get it :iiaca:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

IAMKOREA posted:

If you're serious, it's not going to be easy. I managed to get absurdly lucky and get a job in the EU. I worked as a consultant and met maybe about 2000 other engineers in my industry across Europe and not a single one was American. The non-Europeans I did meet had usually obtained graduate degrees in the EU. This is hugely helpful because you can make connections while studying, and getting a job is so much easier if you know the right people, plus a lot of countries make it very easy to get a work permit if you graduate from one of their universities. Maybe you should consider getting a second masters or a PhD in the country you want to live in, that's what I was going to do before I got lucky. Double down and convince a local to marry you while you're studying and you'll be set.

I don't know how in demand your skill set is so maybe it will be easier for you but I honestly doubt it. Its worth it though and not impossible. But have you actually been to Germany? Why are you fixed on Germany specifically?

PS: I've hired someone on the Blue Card program before and I had to prove to the local authorities that i couldn't find a local candidate with the same skillset, which required running a job advert for the position for 30 days and proving none of the applicants were qualified. It was easy for me because I really wanted the guy i was hiring and wrote the job description tailored to his resume but again, that's not an everyday hiring.

I'm not that serious right now, just curious

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

actionjackson posted:

I've just been looking on LinkedIn and there's plenty of worthwhile listings but I'm sure there are better places. I know it's different in other industries but at least for computer touching jobs there are a decent number of places whose working language is English too. Not hunting super hard yet though since we need to see where my partner's shop comes in on timing of their transfer.

IAMKOREA posted:

When was that/what did the process look like out of curiosity? I know it was historically required to do the local market test but the impression I got from reading about this was that currently if the job met the salary threshold there wasn't a need to do that.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

lobster shirt posted:

well you'd need a car to get anywhere else but if you're close to the light rail and working in the TMC you won't need to drive to work.

houston sucks though i wish to leave lol

every city in America is some degree of terrible, mostly because of cars, but not completely

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

kronix posted:

Uh my parents live 400km away, taking the train requires 2 transfers and like 10 hours if you don’t time it right. I can drive it in 3 hours.

So, unless you want to volunteer to entertain my kid for 10 hours on/waiting for trains this idea can gently caress right off.

im sorry you and your parents need to be separated, just as i am sorry those large dogs need to be put down, once we ban cars.

some sacrifices do need to be made.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

lol

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I mean if you want the pie in the sky take, the US could:

1. Treat public transportation as a public service and forget about farebox returns. From an economic perspective, efficiency of moving workers is far more important that having to chip in a subsidy.
2. Rebuild its existing legacy systems in the West and the East coast and this time actually investment in them
3. Stop building only light rail, especially at grade or awkward locations, and devote the building to building core heavy rail lines with light rail/BRT acting as feeder lines
4. Nationalize and electrify any freight lines near urban centers, turn them into rapid S-bahns (a lot of agencies actually own their own lines but don't have the funding to do much with them, run the freight at night).
5. Eventually ban cars in CBDs and gradually expand outwards
6. Get rid of "beg boxes" and build non-gutter bike lanes
etc

It is never ever going to happen though.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:36 on Oct 15, 2021

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/ftgreenecyclist/status/1449001641290645510?s=21

Incredible transportation mode, we absolutely must continue to subsidize this.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

sat on my keys! posted:

gently caress that person who parked in the bike lane

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

ArmZ posted:

gently caress that person who parked in the bike lane

I’d be more concerned about the bus driving in the bike lane but the bicyclist’s brain is confounding

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Look at how flat and level that street is though. There is nowhere like that on my commute. It's beautiful.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Look at how flat and level that street is though. There is nowhere like that on my commute. It's beautiful.

nyc is simultaneously the best place to bike (lots of bike lanes, mostly flat, bike lanes on most major bridges, enormously useful for reaching places that would be hard to get to otherwise, etc) and the worst (too many car)

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

hills, much like trains, are good

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Riding on flat ground is pleasant and relaxing. Riding on constant hills is like screaming and fighting the entire way.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Riding on flat ground is pleasant and relaxing. Riding on constant hills is like screaming and fighting the entire way.

one must imagine the cyclist happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

sat on my keys! posted:

Lol that's my old neighborhood Cobble Hill, Brooklyn. For some reason that street, Smith St, became the major artery to get to the BQE. There is 2 subway lines literally 20 feet below street level (the F and G) but I guess driving is a good option too? idk. I never did it in the 10years I lived there.