Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Superanos posted:

Deathloop got a new patch with DLSS support. I guess I will give that game a go when it gets its first sales. People calling it a bad PC port turned me off.

The performance had kinda been all over the place for me but I never thought it was unplayable.

Interested to see how this patch helps performance, plus DLSS is always nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Superanos posted:

Deathloop got a new patch with DLSS support. I guess I will give that game a go when it gets its first sales. People calling it a bad PC port turned me off.

Protocol7 posted:

The performance had kinda been all over the place for me but I never thought it was unplayable.

Interested to see how this patch helps performance, plus DLSS is always nice.

I just mentioned this in the Deathloop thread but I'll mention it here too, the new patch with DLSS enabled has made this game run unbelievably smooth for me, even with all the RTX stuff enabled (which it also looks like they did some work on). I have a 3080ti so it probably should BUT the stuttering and frame hitches were really making it hard for me to enjoy it so I fell off but I'm definitely coming back after this update.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

explosivo posted:

I just mentioned this in the Deathloop thread but I'll mention it here too, the new patch with DLSS enabled has made this game run unbelievably smooth for me, even with all the RTX stuff enabled (which it also looks like they did some work on). I have a 3080ti so it probably should BUT the stuttering and frame hitches were really making it hard for me to enjoy it so I fell off but I'm definitely coming back after this update.

That's nice. I also have a 3080 Ti but I heard of the game running poorly even on the highest end cards. Great if it works well now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kragger99 posted:

Good. I had no interested in a Ghost Recon Battle Royale. Loved Wildlands and Breakpoint. Just a new game with a new setting with a few gameplay updates/minor improvements will be fine for many fans.

You liked Breakpoint? The bullet sponge drone robot poo poo ruined it for me. Wildlands was a lot of fun though.

I imagine that Ubi was once again trying to cram a looter shooter model into this game (and changing the focus from single-player team tactical combat to online-facing Ubi fortnite) like they did with Breakpoint until they had to go back and invent a completely different mode that emulated the first game.

Playing Farcry 6 is reminding me a lot of Wildlands, and it's not just the Latin American setting. The focus on gear over skill trees, the way the radar and mission structure works. Ubi is like the Taco Bell of developers, constantly recombining the same elements from their AAA series' into different types of open world games. Luckily for me I don't mind a little Taco Bell.

e: oh wow they were even gonna make it first-person

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 14, 2021

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Superanos posted:

Along with the others I have a 3080 ti and it ran fine. If I turned on ray tracing it felt like it chugged a little bit sometimes but still over 60 frames with a hiccup here and there. I just turned ray tracing off though because to me it was barely noticeable anyway. It felt like they had it in as the hot new thing and not something they tweaked to work well or look good.

The game would crash all the time when I was changing my loadout but that seemed to be the only problem area, worked fine everywhere else.

That being said I felt pretty gipped paying $60 for it, there isn't $60 worth of content there. It's a solid $30 game.

e: all of this was launch week so it's probably better now. A lot of the people complaining about optimization seem to have lower end rigs. Not that it isn't a valid complaint, just saying if you're up into new gen stuff it should run fine.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

zoux posted:

You liked Breakpoint? The bullet sponge drone robot poo poo ruined it for me. Wildlands was a lot of fun though.

It was alright after they released a bunch of updates that let you turn off all the stupid poo poo (namely the dumb drones and gear score bullshit).

Not an award winning game, but fun Ubisoft open-world mans-shooting nonetheless.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Protocol7 posted:

It was alright after they released a bunch of updates that let you turn off all the stupid poo poo (namely the dumb drones and gear score bullshit).

Not an award winning game, but fun Ubisoft open-world mans-shooting nonetheless.

Yeah Breakpoint was actually pretty good a year later with a friend or two for the $10 or whatever you can get it for now. They have a really awesome friend pass on uplay that lets friends join you for free from the demo version of the game and play everything with no restriction so only one person technically needs to buy the game, it's kinda rad.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I'm one of the few that even enjoyed Breakpoint at launch. As a sniper/stealth sim, it hits a lot of fun notes with me. It's fun in co-op as well. It does have it's faults though - and that's something that should be brought up more in the thread. No game is perfect. Every game will have "something" you don't like - maybe it's part of the gameplay/setting/style/bugginess/jank/story. The issue is how many of those things are there, and how much do they ruin the gaming experience for you personally.

For me most UBIsoft games have more in the good column than the bad. As long as games are fun, and let me escape from this lovely world for a but, it's usually a win for me. I used to get angry when someone poo poo on a game I liked, but I now know it's always a personal experience (or possibly someone rebroadcasting someone elses' opinion on a game because they haven't actually played it yet), and it just didn't hit the same marks for them. No biggie.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's a They Are Billions clone but without the boring zombie theme and without the weird overly-sexual voice barks by all your units.

Wait what

bideojames
Aug 29, 2004

>:3

Unlucky7 posted:

Wait what

"last night was amaaazing~~" - a voice line from the ranger units in TaB that triggers way too often

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
i just slam bought Growing Up because the idea of My So-Called Visual Novel is just too kicking rad to resist, and it looks like it's pretty legit

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
i will report back as to how gay it lets me be

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Simone Magus posted:

i just slam bought Growing Up because the idea of My So-Called Visual Novel is just too kicking rad to resist, and it looks like it's pretty legit

I have it in my cart, awaiting a moment of weakness. It looks cute AF. Could you report back when you've played a bit?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
The Good Life is out tomorrow (on Gamepass as well, I believe). If you go to the store page, there's a video of SWERY playing some of the dev build. Tentatively excited for this, since I like his games, rough spots and all.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

The Good Life is out tomorrow (on Gamepass as well, I believe). If you go to the store page, there's a video of SWERY playing some of the dev build. Tentatively excited for this, since I like his games, rough spots and all.

Can confirm it's on Gamepass, looks like it's releasing around midnight UK time (so in about five and a half, six hours or so).

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

HopperUK posted:

I have it in my cart, awaiting a moment of weakness. It looks cute AF. Could you report back when you've played a bit?

so i just played through the intro and preschool

uh so far it's like, maybe probably gonna end up being something i play for roughly one billion hours. haha. it's really addictive gameplay wise so far, learning skills and gaming the system and whatall

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

uh so far it's like, maybe probably gonna end up being something i play for roughly one billion hours. haha. it's really addictive gameplay wise so far, learning skills and gaming the system and whatall

oh no

Can you pick your character or customise them, or is it always the same person and you just make different choices?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

HopperUK posted:

Can confirm it's on Gamepass, looks like it's releasing around midnight UK time (so in about five and a half, six hours or so).

Says 13 hours on Steam right now, so also midnight (west coast) in the US. Switching my VPN location doesn't seem to change it :smith:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

Wait what

I just listened to a youtube video of all of them and it's not as bad as I remember (I could have sworn there was a second female unit that was way worse than the ranger but there's not I guess?) but yeah, this is like 3rd in the cycle of Ranger voice lines so it triggers constantly and it feels out of place and makes me imagine weirdo devs:
"Sooo tired... last night was amazing"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

Says 13 hours on Steam right now, so also midnight (west coast) in the US. Switching my VPN location doesn't seem to change it :smith:

Aw, boo. The Gamepass countdown definitely says just under 6 hours.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

StarkRavingMad posted:

SWERY seems like someone who wants to put creativity and weirdness before any commercial goals, and makes games that are at worst a head trip to play and experience.

Also, seemed shockingly chill with accepting if mistakes were made in the game and upset people, and willing to change what he could. Given how many chud game devs there are it's nice to know he at least cares about people in general.

LionEyez
Aug 17, 2014

Simone Magus posted:

Yo Simone. We don't know each other but I saw your post in the October chat thread. If you're looking for a coop game buddy, I'm open; https://steamcommunity.com/id/lioneyez/ Mainly into Sea of Thieves rn, but I'm up for whatever

To bring it back on topic: I'm surprised by how much I like Sea of Thieves. I heard it described as a battle royale and that people were constantly griefed, but that's hardly been my experience. It reminds me of the ship bits in AC: Black Flag except you have more fine control over your boat and actually have to set sails, load cannonballs etc. You sail to a little tropical island, swim around some. Dig up a treasure. Fight a ghost ship. It's nice. Sea shanties not included tho

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

HopperUK posted:

oh no

Can you pick your character or customise them, or is it always the same person and you just make different choices?

i think your appearance is based on your parents, you can customize them or let it be random

i'm not sure how much variation there is... i'm almost to the end of elementary school, the story is starting to actually be something. so far it's a lot of binary choices, and there seems to be kind of an optimal path that's semi obvious.

i think it's the closest thing to Tokemeki Memorial that exists, someone tell Tim Rogers

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/panstasz/status/1448704788808470528

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i hope growing up is bad because then i can say “more like throwing up”

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I've said this a couple times but just a reminder:

Gloomhaven the boardgame is basically a crpg in a box and works really well as one. Having played the board game in a group, playing the guild master campaign on PC has also convinced me nothing is lost with 1 person controlling the entire party (other than friendships with LGS nerds).

The modes in it now have complete content and the campaign launches on the 20th and will be identical to the board game. The board game campaign has 17 classes that level up and have equipment and different builds, a long branching story line that has 90ish missions (not all of which you play depending on decisions you make), a persistent upgradeable city, side quests, basically everything a crpg would have.

The closest comparison I can think of is Darkest Dungeon with the upgradeable home base setup, except a lot less repetitive and no procedural content. Each mission is part of the story line, well balanced and individually designed. It also has a cool atmospheric setting and a good (enough) storyline.

TLDR: Gloomhaven is a great crpg and you'd never know it was a board game. If turn based fantasy and/or tactical combat is your thing you should pick it up out of early access.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Games like Growing Up are like catnip for me but I´ve longed for these kind of games to branch out a bit, such as adding more RPG gameplay to them.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

one of my friends has had a physical copy of gloomhaven since its release that we have attempted to get everyone in the same room from across the country to play exactly twice and have spent both times reading and rereading the rules for how to set up the game and do the first dungeon only to find out at the end of both we have done it completely wrong. so on the one hand having all that stupid poo poo tracked by a computer and available to play over the internet sounds like manna from heaven, but also each and every one of us forged in the gloomhaven crucible feel that picking up the computer version of the game would be admitting defeat

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

vaginite posted:

I've said this a couple times but just a reminder:

Gloomhaven
The major gameplay wrinkle that should be noted for new players is how it's card-based, but it's not a deck-builder per se. Each character has their own pool of cards and maximum hand size, and prior to any adventure can put together the "deck" they'll be working with. But then each character has their whole hand at the start and puts down two cards per turn - one will determine their turn order (there's a number at the middle of every card and smaller numbers go before larger numbers) and then each card is divided into two halves and you have to play the top of one and the bottom of another (you can also always use the top as a generic attack and the bottom as a generic move - and you can skip any part of an ability that's not explicitly negative to your own side) on your turn. There's some standard actions to put your discard pile back into your hand, minus one that will be "burned" (the burn pile is harder to restore to your hand but not outright impossible). When you can't put down two cards and end the turn without two cards in hand as well (meaning your discard pile is empty), then that character is exhausted for the rest of the adventure. And if all characters are exhausted then you lose the adventure (this isn't really the end of a campaign or even characters most of the time, just means you don't get the adventure rewards).

It's slightly different from the typical tactical CRPG, is what I mean.
The PC version plays very cleanly, I'll vouch for that.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 14, 2021

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Oh poo poo yeah! I hope this comes out before Halloween

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

anilEhilated posted:

Anyone play Death's Gambit after the recent fixes were implemented? The reviews are pretty positive now so I'd like some goonpinions.

It's very good now I got it for switch and we'll I'm now distracted by dread

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the metroid game or just the overarching sensation thereof

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Cowcaster posted:

the metroid game or just the overarching sensation thereof

Metroid Dread provides both.
Death's gambit feels solid now, I'm got it after revisiting the gba Castlevanias and it's not as cool as those it does feel like a complete world to explore rather than a promise lacking polish.
I'll return to it when I beat Dread cuz well holy poo poo...

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

THANK GOD. I was so sad that it seemed abandoned, please please please actually finish it!

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Hogama posted:

The major gameplay wrinkle that should be noted for new players is how it's card-based, but it's not a deck-builder per se. Each character has their own pool of cards and maximum hand size, and prior to any adventure can put together the "deck" they'll be working with. But then each character has their whole hand at the start and puts down two cards per turn - one will determine their turn order (there's a number at the middle of every card and smaller numbers go before larger numbers) and then each card is divided into two halves and you have to play the top of one and the bottom of another (you can also always use the top as a generic attack and the bottom as a generic move - and you can skip any part of an ability that's not explicitly negative to your own side) on your turn. There's some standard actions to put your discard pile back into your hand, minus one that will be "burned" (the burn pile is harder to restore to your hand but not outright impossible). When you can't put down two cards and end the turn without two cards in hand as well (meaning your discard pile is empty), then that character is exhausted for the rest of the adventure. And if all characters are exhausted then you lose the adventure (this isn't really the end of a campaign or even characters most of the time, just means you don't get the adventure rewards).

It's slightly different from the typical tactical CRPG, is what I mean.
The PC version plays very cleanly, I'll vouch for that.

Fair point I guess coming from the board game the combat system doesn't seem that alien. I guess I should say more it's a fun, competent PC game and the fact that it was a boardgame shouldn't discourage anyone from picking it up.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The one downside of playing the PC version of Gloomhaven will be that I can no longer silently cheat a little bit in my favor when the RNG screws me over. Can't wait to somehow get three Nulls in a row!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

StarkRavingMad posted:

If you're ok with going through Gamepass and the Windows store it's really easy to get stuff early, you don't even need a VPN. Just change your store settings in Windows to the desired region, it'll still honor your local Gamepass subscription etc

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How do you change the Steam directory location? It used to be simple iirc, but with the new UI I'm told I can't have a second folder on the same drive.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Looks like Encased got a huge patch, if anyone was on the fence about buying it due to the bugginess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

goferchan posted:

If you're ok with going through Gamepass and the Windows store it's really easy to get stuff early, you don't even need a VPN. Just change your store settings in Windows to the desired region, it'll still honor your local Gamepass subscription etc

I already have it on Steam since I was a Kickstarter backer for it, so I can't go the gamepass route. But thanks for trying! I'll just wait for Friday.