Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mt09 is a super fun but otherwise normal Japanese bike.

A hyper is basically a sportbike for slow corners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm planning on doing a (go-kart) track day on a rented R3 soon so I'll at least get a feel for that bike.

Where are you renting from?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Mt09 is a super fun but otherwise normal Japanese bike.

A hyper is basically a sportbike for slow corners.

Even though my heart desires a hyper, the more I've been riding around here made me realize that the roads aren't twisty enough. So I would want to go offroad for more fun and something like a T7 is a better fit. Unless.... what's a hyper like on double track/gravel...?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

MomJeans420 posted:

The meth bike actually looks better than the above bike, amazingly enough. I'm just about to start on the bike, was working crazy hours from last fall until a few weeks ago, now I'm on vacation because my wife was not a huge fan of spending all summer in Bakersfield. My garage is small so since covid it's always been a battle between room to work out, room to work on the gixxer, and room for parts for my SUV. All my offroad parts for my SUV get installed next Monday, then I can finally work on the gixxer again. It's been on a battery tender but I haven't started it in over a year, I imagine I need to dump the old gas in there and get some fresh gas. It also sat on its brand new tires from December 2020 (when I took it off the stands so I could bring them to a track day for my D675) until July 2021, so hopefully I didn't give tires with literally 0 miles flat spots.

Speaking of what bike to buy, once I get home I'm going to start seriously looking at bikes. Top of my list is the hypermotard but then I feel like I have to get the SP version and holy poo poo is that expensive (even before taxes and dealer fees). My list of bikes I've been considering is pretty stupid and all over the place, as if I don't do the hypermotard I've also been looking at KLX300SMs (but I'm a big guy so DRZ probably better), DRZs (but I can just do a supermoto track day and rent one whenever, plus my friend has one), R7s, R3s, and even spent a few hours looking at doing a DR650 supermoto conversion (either a great idea or a very dumb one). I've been considering an acid gold RS 660 too even though I know how that will go. I guess I have a supermoto tendency so it's not too all over the place. I'm planning on doing a (go-kart) track day on a rented R3 soon so I'll at least get a feel for that bike.

DR650 supermoto is a great thing especially if you improve suspension and do an intake-jet-can upgrade. But it’s miles away from a hyper in terms of performance. Think 1990s F150 with some street power and suspension work done on it, it’s more fun than stock but still not really that much faster or nimble. It’s torquier than a DRZ with better highway gearing but a factory DRZ-SM is probably a much easier/cheaper way to achieve the end goal of a dual sport turned supermoto. I’ve never ridden a DRZ-SM so I couldn’t compare them in any meaningful way but a handful of people here have them and say positive things. They’re lighter and a little taller, so a better dirt bike than the DR.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

Even though my heart desires a hyper, the more I've been riding around here made me realize that the roads aren't twisty enough. So I would want to go offroad for more fun and something like a T7 is a better fit. Unless.... what's a hyper like on double track/gravel...?

I've never tried it but I'm going to go with garbage.

I've said it before, they are not a motard, they are not dirt adjacent in any way, they are purely a tight corner sportbike and aren't very good at much else.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Yo, are used Motorcycles seeing the kind of inflation in price as the used car scene is seeing?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

The Bananana posted:

Yo, are used Motorcycles seeing the kind of inflation in price as the used car scene is seeing?

More

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Motorcycle situation is compounded with supply issues AND all the recreation industries having blown up during covid.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

There a several comparos that have been popping up on my YouTube with the hypermotard vs yamaha mt09sp. Thr mt09 is a less fun more more liveable allegedly, with cruise control, more than 100mi of range etc.

I forgot to mention I was also considering the mt09sp but had just started looking at it. It probably makes a lot more sense, and the price difference alone could get you a nice used DRZ (or at least it used to). Also the fact that I can't reset the maintenance required light on the hypermotard without going to the dealer pisses me off, but I could get past that.

Toe Rag posted:

Where are you renting from?

It's a whole track day + instruction + R3 at a kart track thing from here:
https://motosurvivalschool.com/

The guy who runs it coached a supermoto day for me a few years ago, but while dirt + jumps are fun I just don't really "feel" the foot out style. I should probably just keep on doing it until I like it, but since I haven't been on a bike in 6 months I figured I should start out with what I'm comfortable with. I was thinking I could use the unwanted break from riding to try to break any bad habits I have and learn some new good ones, and this seems like the best way to do that. Although honestly if my GSX-R was running I'd be out on it every day, bad habits or not, but I figure I can get a lesson or two in before that happens. I'm sure muscle memory will come back right away and it may not make any difference if I get coaching now or after I've been riding again for months, but I'll give it a shot.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

DR650 supermoto is a great thing especially if you improve suspension and do an intake-jet-can upgrade. But it’s miles away from a hyper in terms of performance. Think 1990s F150 with some street power and suspension work done on it, it’s more fun than stock but still not really that much faster or nimble. It’s torquier than a DRZ with better highway gearing but a factory DRZ-SM is probably a much easier/cheaper way to achieve the end goal of a dual sport turned supermoto. I’ve never ridden a DRZ-SM so I couldn’t compare them in any meaningful way but a handful of people here have them and say positive things. They’re lighter and a little taller, so a better dirt bike than the DR.

Yeah I figured there's probably a reason you don't see too many of them, a DRZ is probably better if I'm really just concerned about local canyons but not top speed. I know I can't just get one "does it all" bike for but I keep on thinking of various ways to do that anyway. I realized the other day I could just get a bunch of bikes and store the ones I don't use that often in my back yard, but I have a feeling my wife would not agree with that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You can have a bike that can do everything, absolutely.

You just can't have a bike that can do everything well.

And the more you make it better at any one thing, the worse it gets at everything else.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slavvy posted:

And the more you make it better at any one thing, the worse it gets at everything else.

It took me a long time to accept this. IMO the minimum number of bikes to own if you want to cover most situations is 2. A dual sport and a touring bike is the best 2 bike combo, something like an R3 and a touring bike if you have no intentions of going offroad.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m gravitating towards a DR650 and the Goldwing, to live the ideal bike life.

:rip: to the SV650 but I literally never ride it anymore.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Yeah the middleweights get ignored. I think I've put 200 miles on my VFR750 this year.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Gorson posted:

It took me a long time to accept this. IMO the minimum number of bikes to own if you want to cover most situations is 2. A dual sport and a touring bike is the best 2 bike combo, something like an R3 and a touring bike if you have no intentions of going offroad.

This is why I have 3 cars.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m gravitating towards a DR650 and the Goldwing, to live the ideal bike life.

:rip: to the SV650 but I literally never ride it anymore.

Goldwing with a Motocompo in the top box.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Russian Bear posted:

Motorcycle situation is compounded with supply issues AND all the recreation industries having blown up during covid.

Hmm..

Have prices for New bikes gone up any?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

MomJeans420 posted:

I know I can't just get one "does it all" bike for but I keep on thinking of various ways to do that anyway.

Slavvy posted:

See this is exactly why I went with the DR650 with both a supermoto and dirt wheelset. It's one bike that does everything I want a bike to do well enough that I'm content with it. I don't ride fast any more, I don't do technical dirt, I occasionally want to just get 60 miles out of the way at 70 mph, and when I have time to do it again, I want to carry a week's worth of poo poo on it across both highway and gravel. It'll carve twisty paved stuff just fine at my personal fast pace, it has no trouble at all with lovely rutted mountain pass roads, it's easy as hell for around town stuff regardless of the wheels I have on it at any time, and even manages freeway without issue if it comes to it.
If I wanted to do ONLY or primarily one of those kinds of riding though, it would not be my top choice.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Goldwing with a Motocompo in the top box.

:hmmyes:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

The Bananana posted:

Hmm..

Have prices for New bikes gone up any?

It's definitely harder to negotiate pricing, but the bigger issue is not being able to find any in stock

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

See this is exactly why I went with the DR650 with both a supermoto and dirt wheelset. It's one bike that does everything I want a bike to do well enough that I'm content with it. I don't ride fast any more, I don't do technical dirt, I occasionally want to just get 60 miles out of the way at 70 mph, and when I have time to do it again, I want to carry a week's worth of poo poo on it across both highway and gravel. It'll carve twisty paved stuff just fine at my personal fast pace, it has no trouble at all with lovely rutted mountain pass roads, it's easy as hell for around town stuff regardless of the wheels I have on it at any time, and even manages freeway without issue if it comes to it.
If I wanted to do ONLY or primarily one of those kinds of riding though, it would not be my top choice.

Pretty much what I was thinking. If you want to do dirt and street, it's hard to go wrong with a supermoto (dirt set optional). To that end, the DR still kinda reigns supreme. If only they would come out with a modern version or SOMETHING :argh:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Air cooled engines can't meet emissions standards anymore so you need water cooling so a whole new engine needs to be developed

Limp wristed IT men demand pointless features and electronics so you need to develop all those as well

Whining journalists insist everything needs KTM level suspension so you have to spend some cash there

And you're suzuki. So all of that adds up to DR-never, buy one while you can.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Limp wristed IT men demand pointless features and electronics so you need to develop all those as well

Can confirm I like having a screen to stare at instead of the road.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Speaking of inventory, the local shop got two MT09s in last week and both were stickered for manufacturing dates of 11/2020 when I went and took one for a spin. Now do I buy one of these or wait for the 2022 models and see what color refreshes they have? are manufacturers even doing a refreshes besides colors due to supply issues? For my bike shopping since winter is coming and it snows here I'm not sure if I should grab whatever I can or wait until the spring and take chances then. The other bike besides the MT09 I'm serious about buying would be the BMW F900R and they have some in stock at the shop. They seemed confident in getting bikes in if you place an order though and their 2022 bikes started shipping while the shop had 2021's in stock. The BMW does have that nice screen and whizbang gizmos.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Afaik, The 21/22 models of the MT09 have changed the geometry a little.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I want to get a bike for my wife that I can ride too. She has no experience, has only been on my V-strom 650 (that I don't have anymore, got a Forza 350 to replace it... Yeah I am lazy as gently caress and I wanted a moving armchair without the bulk, weight or cost of a Goldwing :v: ) as a passenger and I am teaching her the basics now on a Vespa 300 to get her license, but I know her and she will want a proper bike with a shifter and everything eventually.

We determined the maximum seat height should be 80cm/31 inches (less is better), and she wants something light and agile but also comfortable for the occasional weekend trip. Due to back issues the riding position should be as upright as possible. Displacement and power is not a priority, anything around 500cc/50hp will be ok and saves money too.

We're looking at several models that should fit the bill like Suzuki SV 650, Yamaha mt-07, Honda cb500f, and my personal favorite, the Moto Guzzi V7 :) if there's anything else to keep a look out for, maybe also older models in the used market, I'd love to know!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How tall is your wife and how much does she weigh?

None of the things you've posted will feel light and agile and fun for a new rider. Maybe the CB500 but still. Get her an MT-03.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
You're in Italy, how does the whole licensing thing work there? Is she going to be restricted to 35kw for a while to start off with? If that's the case it's probably going to be more fun riding something that's naturally below that, rather than something bigger where you run face first into the restrictor every time you get silly.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Phy posted:

You're in Italy, how does the whole licensing thing work there? Is she going to be restricted to 35kw for a while to start off with? If that's the case it's probably going to be more fun riding something that's naturally below that, rather than something bigger where you run face first into the restrictor every time you get silly.

She will get a full license, just has to test with a 600cc/40kw bike which shouldn't be an issue, I did it and she drives better than me :v: and she already said anything below 400cc is too small, besides we have 2 scooters for that already :)

Sagebrush posted:

How tall is your wife and how much does she weigh?

None of the things you've posted will feel light and agile and fun for a new rider. Maybe the CB500 but still. Get her an MT-03.

This might be an exception though - I don't know how we didn't see the mt-03 on Yamaha's website, sounds great

E: 163cm/5'4 or so, 78cm/30" inseam, about weight I am only allowed to say small-medium build :v:

E2: I would like it to be more of a do-it-all bike rather than just a quick toy, the vespa is quite good as a quick toy already

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 14, 2021

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Do you not have the cb500r over there? Lighter, more modern model over the 500f. The other one to consider is the 500x, could be better for weekend trips.

More importantly, what does she like?

Even though she has an arbitrary power requirement in her mind, check out the small displacement bikes if she wants something very agile feeling. MT03 is awesome and the honda cb300r is a good 60lb lighter than the MT03. If you're mostly going to be on lovely Italian backroads and don't need to sit at 140kph for hours to get where you're going, small displacement is the way to go. Speaking of roads? Will you ever trek off pavement?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

TorakFade posted:

she already said anything below 400cc is too small, besides we have 2 scooters for that already :)
This seems arbitrary and excludes a whole bunch of perfectly good bikes, but I believe this is also a cue for me to slide in with a "have you heard about the Ninja 400??" (or the Z400 naked version). Sits somewhere around 380 lbs, ticks the (unnecessary) CC requirement, and is way more upright than it looks.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Everyone should ride an R3 or Ninja 400 at a track at least once IMO. Not necessarily an experience applicable to commuting on the super slab but certainly something to put power into perspective.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

All of that sounds like the confused and conflicting demands of someone who hasn't really ridden and doesn't really know what's important. This is one of those 'get the bike you need not the bike you want' situations imo. Just tell her to get an upright 300 of some kind like the mt03 already suggested, first bike is not last bike.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Can confirm the MT03 is really good. Also it apparently has a 180 degree firing interval, which is rare or something? So that's cool.

Look, I just watched this video and it was really cool so I want to talk about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9ZFZABaLbg

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's 180° cause it's cheaper :ssh:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Slavvy posted:

It's 180° cause it's cheaper :ssh:

Is it? It still needs a balancing shaft.

https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/5e1c6c3587a8661470465058/crankshaft-piston

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah it still needs a balance shaft but a simpler one, and the crank doesn't need to be as strong or carefully designed. It's all moot anyway as at 300cc you can have whatever firing order you like and it will make 0 difference.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Honda 350 engines have a 180 degree crank and no balance shaft. You just get to deal with it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

The Honda 350 engines have a 180 degree crank and no balance shaft. You just get to deal with it.

The vibrations are proportionate to bore/stroke and rpm, plus being an old bike it will have relatively large and heavy flywheels, gear shafts, cam etc that will all help to mitigate it.

As usual the quest for performance creates problems where there previously were none.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Slavvy posted:

All of that sounds like the confused and conflicting demands of someone who hasn't really ridden and doesn't really know what's important. This is one of those 'get the bike you need not the bike you want' situations imo. Just tell her to get an upright 300 of some kind like the mt03 already suggested, first bike is not last bike.

I agree with that and that's why I have already suggested her to ride the Vespa for a few months and find out what it is she really likes.

But my wife is stubborn and an overthinker so there's that, and I learned not to argue too much with her :v: I should also take her to a few dealerships and try to get on several different bikes, maybe she'll realize that a slightly higher weight and higher seating position is not necessarily a terrible thing!

Thanks for now, it's clear that a good first bike would be a used naked or "classic"/scrambler of some sort with a 300/400cc engine, too bad here people tend to only buy 750+ cc big bikes or 150-300cc scooters, the vast majority of the bikes you can find on the used market are those :smith: small displacement bikes are seen as child toys generally, people resell 750cc bikes because they're "too small and want to upgrade to a 1100cc" which is totally weird to me

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Oct 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I think the absolute biggest mistake new riders make is to hyper focus on one aspect of motorcycles, whether that be big displacement or chrome or track-inspired styling or bold new graphics and that tunnel vision leads them away from better bikes. I mean hell Young Gorson dreamed of seeing himself in corner track pics thumbs-up and knee-down. Then I actually sat on a supersport and that dream died forever. Take a weekend afternoon and go to the dealership, hopefully it's one that has some test bikes but at the very least go around to all the different bike types and have a sit. It might change her mind drastically.

Displacement has almost no meaning when it comes to motorcycles, from a purely numbers standpoint my 650cc Hawk GT must be a bigger better more powerful bike than those puny 300 and 400's when in reality any of them are at least as powerful.