Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Joe Man posted:

Can hold it vertically and brace the bottom with your pinky & ring finger:

Ok that is not at all what I was imagining when I saw it.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

whats a good wireless mouse that has a lot of programmable shobuttons? the wireless razer naga trinity looks like it would fit the bill but ive been burned so much by low quality gaming mice that paying $150 for something that might work for 2 years feels wasteful. I'd give the chinese brands off Amazon a shot but I feel ehh about installing dodgy button programming software (even though Razer had that big security flaw too).

g604 is alright if you catch it near the bottom of the dumb price rollercoaster it's been on all year and don't need a literal 10key for your thumb.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

MarcusSA posted:

I just checked the M570 and would it really be comfortable to hold? I guess I’m having a hard time picturing that.

Also it looks like it’s been discontinued but the price isn’t significant yet.

It does seem like a good alternative!

It's more "you can hold it if you have large hands" than "holdable". Having something to rest it on is nicer, but since it works in any orientation you can just rest in your palm / hold it upside down / whatever is comfortable for you for intermittent mousing needs like Netflix or whatever.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

dis astranagant posted:

g604 is alright if you catch it near the bottom of the dumb price rollercoaster it's been on all year and don't need a literal 10key for your thumb.

Yeah that looks fine. I dont need that many buttons for my thumb, six is probably the extent of it. Is Ghub that bad, and if so, does the mouse work with third party mouse software?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

It's more "you can hold it if you have large hands" than "holdable". Having something to rest it on is nicer, but since it works in any orientation you can just rest in your palm / hold it upside down / whatever is comfortable for you for intermittent mousing needs like Netflix or whatever.

Ah ok. Yeah I am just trying to mindlessly play an MMO with it which is why something one handed would be the best tbh.

I’ll keep it in mind though while I do some more looking.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

Yeah that looks fine. I dont need that many buttons for my thumb, six is probably the extent of it. Is Ghub that bad, and if so, does the mouse work with third party mouse software?

I haven't had any major problems with Ghub. Most of the complaints seem to be people who dealt with it during the initial growing pains and haven't touched it since.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

LordAdakos posted:

The best general purpose mouse with a horizontal scroll wheel I've found (and have been using for work for a year-ish now) is the Logitech MX master 3. But, it's wireless if that's a deal breaker for you.

For general purpose mousing it's hard to beat - a bit heavy but there are a lot of features.

I haven't tried it for any sort of gaming though so YMMV.

Thanks again for the suggestion. I see what you mean by it being a bit heavy, but I'm liking it so far.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Does anyone make a hard-surface mousepad in the extended sizes? The SteelSeries QcK XL is basically the perfect size (16"x36") but I don't want a cloth pad. I can't find any hard pads in the larger sizes, presumably because they're prohibitively expensive to ship, but if anyone knows of an option I'm very anxious to replace my deteriorating normal-sized QcK.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

fatman1683 posted:

Does anyone make a hard-surface mousepad in the extended sizes? The SteelSeries QcK XL is basically the perfect size (16"x36") but I don't want a cloth pad. I can't find any hard pads in the larger sizes, presumably because they're prohibitively expensive to ship, but if anyone knows of an option I'm very anxious to replace my deteriorating normal-sized QcK.

A couple quick google searches, and it looks like the largest out there is a 15"x17" by Glorious. I don't think I've ever seen a deskmat hard pad before.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Koskun posted:

A couple quick google searches, and it looks like the largest out there is a 15"x17" by Glorious. I don't think I've ever seen a deskmat hard pad before.

Yeah I found that one too, was thinking about just getting two of them. That or an old-school leather desk pad.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020

fatman1683 posted:

Yeah I found that one too, was thinking about just getting two of them. That or an old-school leather desk pad.

Have you considered a Cordura cloth pad? I have one right now as someone who's swapped between hard and cloth pads and I really like the surface's hybrid qualities. Not a lot of static friction preventing you from flicking on targets but a good amount of dynamic to make sure you stop on them. They do need to get worn in a bit (or your skin just has to get used to the rougher texture I guess) before I'd say it's a comfortable experience, but after a week I started to love it. Here's the one I got, and they make it in a deskmat size: https://lethalgaminggear.com/products/traigun-cordura%C2%AE-black

Only problem with it is the base of it absolutely sucks poo poo and you kinda have to use your forearm to make sure you're keeping the mat in place. I imagine that's less of a problem with a deskmat sized one, though.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I bought a 12x24" piece of 1/8" clear anodized aluminum for a mousepad in 2015. I had to turn it around earlier this year because I finally scratched it with some steel by accident, so now I'm using the other side. It was about 25 bucks but since it's just a piece of metal, it has sharp corners and isn't made specifically for a mouse surface or anything. I like it, though, and you can sand or file at it if you want to. If it gets human hand/arm gunk on it I wipe it down with a little rubbing alcohol.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How well do Razer/Logitech mice take to being opened up and repaired/cleaned if a switch starts double clicking? I want my next expensive wireless gaming mouse to last a long time.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Get a mouse with optical switches and they won't double click. They might break other ways, but the switches shouldn't fail. Razer, Steelseries, Corsair, and maybe some others make mice with optical switches.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Whoah this thread is still around, nice! I probably have some embarrassing posts squirreled away here from 10 years ago.

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

How well do Razer/Logitech mice take to being opened up and repaired/cleaned if a switch starts double clicking? I want my next expensive wireless gaming mouse to last a long time.
Just came here to find out if anyone else is having issues like this, I've got a Logitech G502. I remember hearing breathless stories of Logitech customer service sending out new mice all the time back in the day, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore:

Logitech customer service rep posted:

To start our troubleshooting, please complete the following:

• Clean the device using a compressed can of air

• Adjust double click sensitivity

Open Control Panel
Select Mouse
Go to Buttons Tab
Under Double Click Speed, move the slider to Fast
Click Apply then OK

• Use the website below to verify/confirm Double Clicking

Go to https://codepen.io/nfxpnk/pen/vERyxK
Capture/Record a video while doing the troubleshooting
Video needs to show the website on the screen and the mouse
Register at least 100 clicks
The website will indicate if there are double clicks
Also include the mouse' Serial Number and a handwritten note of the ticket number in the video
Note: This is a third party site that is used by customers world wide to verify double clicking issues.
Note: Logitech does not bear any responsibility for anything that might happen upon using the site.
It's still technically under 2 year warranty but yeah I think I'll just go buy another $50 mouse rather than jump through these hoops lol

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Just came here to find out if anyone else is having issues like this, I've got a Logitech G502.

Here's my guide. No soldering, simple tools only.

It works very well, I have been doing this with my mice for years and so have only purchased 3.5 mice since like 2005. And one of them it was the body plastic that wore out, not the switches.

Takes about 30 minutes the first time you do it, maybe more depending on mouse model and how complex it is to get apart. These days there's youtube disassembly guides for everything though, so it's way easier. With practice it's a 15-20 minute job.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Logi has that free wheeling thing, but you know what I'd like to see? I mean how often do you use that, really. I'd like to see a gaming mouse where the wheel goes from normal to only clicking up and down in single increments. Would be so much better for gaming, as I'm a weirdo who never ever got used to using the number row for switching weapons.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I have a G502, and I hate the freewheeling button, for the longest time I was clicking that instead of the button that sits next it which I use as a middle mouse button. The other mode for the 502 is single increments. I also have a 703 which is also single increments, but a bit softer or less defined clicks.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

codo27 posted:

Logi has that free wheeling thing, but you know what I'd like to see? I mean how often do you use that, really. I'd like to see a gaming mouse where the wheel goes from normal to only clicking up and down in single increments. Would be so much better for gaming, as I'm a weirdo who never ever got used to using the number row for switching weapons.

I use it all the time, it's great for documents and web browsing. Ironically it's also good for the usage you're looking for because when the the free scrolling mode is disengaged it has very heavy and discrete increments (on the 502 and 903 at least, with the metal wheel).

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
The G502 has a very nice and chunky scroll wheel with good clicks. When the scroll button thing is disengaged it's also a fun desk toy fidget spinner.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

codo27 posted:

I mean how often do you use that, really.

Constantly. Many times, every day.

I guess I don't know what you mean by "single increments." Isn't that every mouse?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Constantly. Many times, every day.

I guess I don't know what you mean by "single increments." Isn't that every mouse?

I'm guessing it's more like they want to be able to push it up or down like a couple of extra buttons, like have it return to the previous position. I do find it hard to use the wheel like that in some games especially if you want to use the middle button click (or not click the middle button click).

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

wheels having a mode to make it easy to single click them would be cool

usually wheels are the SPAM BIND But Technically Not Cheating button though

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i travel the lands like a savant idiot spreading the word of the true blessed movement binding of 3WER

then you can use your thumb to press D or F or whatever to switch weapons while moving in any direction you want, no longer shackled by the primitive traditions of number binds

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
So for this "single increment wheel" thing, do you guys want it to result so you roll the wheel up/down and it only sends a single up/down event within a short period of time, no matter how much you actually rolled the wheel?

That would be pretty easy to implement in software.

Along these lines, a thing you can frequently do if you open up your mouse is make the wheel detents heavier / "clickier", by adjusting the spring in various ways.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

software like autohotkey could get you banned even if you do something innocuous like this, plus I always wonder if stuff like autohotkey or even logitech's GHUB introduces significant input latency

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
If you're using your mousewheel to do anything in a game, you're already saying you don't give a gently caress about latency or precision.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

super sweaty tryhards bind jump to mwheeldown in tons of games so you can get jump ASAP upon contacting surfaces

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

The logitech GHUB had a huge bug on my old g403's dpi shift where it would randomly cut out the dpi shifting in-game.

I had to set the profile to persistent mode or go to on-board memory to prevent this bug. I wonder if anyone has tested input latency of ghub especially if you mess with macros on it.

I'm really superstitious so I'm just going to stick with on-board memory from now on

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

comedyblissoption posted:

super sweaty tryhards bind jump to mwheeldown in tons of games so you can get jump ASAP upon contacting surfaces

Binding various functions to the mousewheel is pretty common in speedrunning for similar reasons, you can hit the same input rapidly with relatively consistent intervals. I was just watching a run of Alien: Isolation recently that put crouch on the wheel to make a clip glitch easy to exploit. What would have been precise rapid-fire button pressing becomes a flip of the wheel at the right rate.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I've been using the MX518/G400 for well over a decade now, and I love the shape. My current G400 is starting to show its age (mostly in the mousewheel), and when I bought one of the new MX518's the clicks were thounderously loud, to the point where it was unusable.

Anyway, I want to upgrade to wireless but it seems like almost everything is small and ambidextrous, which for someone who wants a nice comfy palm grip just doesn't work at all. I bought the G703 since it's larger than most of the other modern Logitechs and had a somewhat ergo shape and it's.... okay. I like the mousewheel and the clicks are fine, but it's still too small and honestly the shape is kinda garbage. And the sidebuttons bounce like crazy when using them to the point of making the whole mouse vibrate and it drives me crazy.

Is there anything in the ballpark of the MX518 shape/size wise that is wireless? I was eying the Roccat Kone Pro Air but besides being pricey it sounds like it has horrendous QC issues, and also loud buttons. The shape looks nice though minus maybe the thumb buttons being too far from the front of the mouse (for a palm grip).

I wish it was easier to mod together a mouse with ideal parts, but everything is so proprietary and anti-repair. Like having to get new feet anytime you want to open up a mouse. Just make the screws accessible ffs. The Pwnage Ultra Custom seems like a super awesome approach (besides the name lol), but it's way too small for what I'm looking for.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
NOT wireless but just fyi, ime the G402 is still fairly easy to find (mine was in target for $30). it's part of that same 518 lineage. after spending a few months looking for something newer to replace my broken one with, i just ended up buying another one.

There's the succesor the G502 that can be wireless (but that's expensive). I didn't like how heavy even the wired model was.

Razer has a clone, the Basilisk. it comes in 3 models. cheap wireless, premium wired, and high end wireless.

The V2 (wired) and X Hyperspeed (cheap wireless) are actually only $35 on Amazon atm. Probably because, as I just learnt, the V3 came out.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 21, 2021

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Looks pretty transformer-like - not sure how I feel about all those extra buttons tbh. Does it really feel like the MX518? Looks like a decently different shape.

In my desperate searching I ran into this which... Given that I just purchased a g703 means I have all the parts, in theory at least. Now I just need to buy a 3D printer for it :v:

https://www.instructables.com/Logitech-MX518-Wireless-Mod/

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Taffer posted:

Looks pretty transformer-like - not sure how I feel about all those extra buttons tbh. Does it really feel like the MX518? Looks like a decently different shape.

In my desperate searching I ran into this which... Given that I just purchased a g703 means I have all the parts, in theory at least. Now I just need to buy a 3D printer for it :v:

https://www.instructables.com/Logitech-MX518-Wireless-Mod/

The G402 replaced my G400 and it felt pretty similar (but it's been a while). Button placement was different, but in my opinion an improvement (I really like the extra index finger button, in particlar). The G502 is a further evolution (or regression), and yeah it's rather unsightly, but the ergonomics aren't that different (but further from the MX518). Too heavy for me though.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

do all current gen logitech wireless mice have input latency on par with wired like the g pro series or is it only those expensive as fuk mice

demostars
Apr 8, 2020

comedyblissoption posted:

do all current gen logitech wireless mice have input latency on par with wired like the g pro series or is it only those expensive as fuk mice

i think anything branded as "lightspeed" for logitech has the low latency, the cheapest of which would be the g305

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I like the G502, when my old one had some wheel problems I got a new one that's RGB or whatever. I've been considering the wireless version but I don't really want to spend $120+ on one so I got the $35 Razer Basilisk X Hyperspeed since hey, it's cheap, approximately the same shape and size, and I figured I'd try it out.

Out of the box it would connect to the 2.4ghz receiver but not pass any information other than (apparently) battery level and a constant drift up and left. No motion or buttons ever made it from the mouse to the computer. It was funny turning it from off to 2.4 to see the slow procession of the cursor up and left and turn it off and see it stop. I put the software on just to see if there was anything I could do with it but other than showing me that it could see battery level (which was fine, and I double checked the included battery with a multimeter and it was fine), it did nothing. So it was DOA and rather than try to RMA it to Razer I just returned it to Amazon as defective.

It's a shame but I'm just going to look for something else. I wonder how laggy my ancient MX1000 will feel if I can charge it. I used to make new feet for it with two layers of masking tape and some teflon tape. It's got character but I don't think I've used it since '08 or something.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Rinkles posted:

The V2 (wired) and X Hyperspeed (cheap wireless) are actually only $35 on Amazon atm. Probably because, as I just learnt, the V3 came out.

I had some return credit sitting in my amazon account and picked up the wireless Hyperspeed X on sale.

The latency with the USB dongle thing is actually great - it's the first wireless mouse I've ever used with no noticeable input lag. With bluetooth it's a completely different story (surprising no one).

It's really sweet though being able to switch between bluetooth and 2.4ghz wireless on the fly though. I can just take the mouse off of my desk and throw it in my laptop bag for work. All I have to do is switch it over to bluetooth and it's paired with my work laptop.

For $60 this thing sucks but for $35 I think it's a great value if you need a decent wireless mouse.

Rexxed posted:

Out of the box it would connect to the 2.4ghz receiver but not pass any information other than (apparently) battery level and a constant drift up and left. No motion or buttons ever made it from the mouse to the computer. It was funny turning it from off to 2.4 to see the slow procession of the cursor up and left and turn it off and see it stop. I put the software on just to see if there was anything I could do with it but other than showing me that it could see battery level (which was fine, and I double checked the included battery with a multimeter and it was fine), it did nothing. So it was DOA and rather than try to RMA it to Razer I just returned it to Amazon as defective.

I guess I got lucky? Honestly every other electronic thing I've ordered from Amazon over the past few years has been defective and required at least one RMA. I don't know if it's a supply chain thing or what but Quality Control seems to have been complete poo poo lately.

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 21, 2021

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

CerealKilla420 posted:

I had some return credit sitting in my amazon account and picked up the wireless Hyperspeed X on sale.

The latency with the USB dongle thing is actually great - it's the first wireless mouse I've ever used with no noticeable input lag. With bluetooth it's a completely different story (surprising no one).

It's really sweet though being able to switch between bluetooth and 2.4ghz wireless on the fly though. I can just take the mouse off of my desk and throw it in my laptop bag for work. All I have to do is switch it over to bluetooth and it's paired with my work laptop.

For $60 this thing sucks but for $35 I think it's a great value if you need a decent wireless mouse.

I guess I got lucky? Honestly every other electronic thing I've ordered from Amazon over the past few years has been defective and required at least one RMA. I don't know if it's a supply chain thing or what but Quality Control seems to have been complete poo poo lately.

I think a lot of companies have figured out their failure percentage and cost to RMA or return/replace and decided it's cheaper than having QC actually check every item. It's possible that it worked in the factory when the board was hooked up to a test jig, but had some defect that either broke in transit or just wasn't noticed until I tried to use it normally. It happens! I don't love Razer's build quality but my Lachesis mouse still works after at least 13 years (although I don't use it much besides on a workbench PC) and the carcharias headset was mainly replaced due to wanting to go wireless. I did solder a bridge over the in line volume knob at one point but it was easy to work on.

Anyway, I'm stubborn so I decided to order a new in box G502 wireless from an ebay seller for $89. Hoping that the guy having 99.9% positive and 20k feedback means I just won't have an issue even though things don't work that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Bought a g502 hero late last year. Both left and right click are double clicking or not clicking at all. Probably outside of the rma window, but i still need to replace it. I like the feel of it and i much prefer wired mice. Should i just buy another 502 or is there another good wired mouse i should be looking at? I dont mind spending more.