Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

PoizenJam posted:

Is PCI4 support necessary for a 3060? PCI3.0 4x will handle the M.2 just fine, and I’m not sure the RTX 3060 will be bottlenecking either.

I’ve no intention of upgrading the build once done, and best I can tell from benchmarks there’s maybe a couple fps difference at most.

There are real (but minor, 5% or so iirc) gains for the 3000 series cards on PCIe gen 4.

On the SSD side it’s a little more grey. Gen 4 may matter in a few years if you’re likely to upgrade your NVME drive at some point with the same board.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Is it worth upgrading from a 6700K & 3200mhz memory to 5600x & 3600mhz memory? Found an enticing CPU+board+memory bundle that's very cheap (almost £100 less than if parts were bought separately)

My GPU is a 6800XT and even at 4k I feel like the 6700K is kinda hobbling the minimum framerates a little.

Possibly? Are you CPU bound? If you’re not at or near 100% CPU utilization then it won’t matter. At 4k there’s a good chance it’s your GPU that’s struggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

There are real (but minor, 5% or so iirc) gains for the 3000 series cards on PCIe gen 4.

Well shoot, I wasn't aware! In any case, I couldn't justify the cost increase. I settled on the following build:

Fractal Design Node 304
Ryzen 5600x w/ stock cooler (may be scoring one for cheap; local seller has BNIB that came with unneeded bundle)
MSI B450i Gaming Plus MAX Wifi + BT
2x8GB 3200MHz RAM
1tb NVME SSD

I went pretty cheapo on RAM and SSD to save costs. Like 'Silicon Power' cheap. Unfortunately couldn't source a 550 motherboard that was cost effective for this build.

For the curious- yes, this build will comfortably fit in your standard Ikea Kalax sized entertainment stand/book shelf cubby-hole.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

You are using a password manager, yes? Changing passwords only prevents against unauthorized access when your password has been leaked. If changing it regularly leads to using weaker passwords (i.e. every office worker ever) then it's more detrimental to security than just using a strong (randomly generated, of sufficient length, potentially all character types, etc) password (and not reusing passwords). 'course, if you are using strong passwords it's not detrimental to change them as a preemptive defense against undiscovered hacks, just rather a bother.

You know, I do change my passwords every 90 days, but if I don’t remember a specific password for a specific website or have access to my laptop where I have a compressed encrypted txt file with a list of “major” pwds, I usually just log in and “forgot my password” click. I’m really bad about it, so one like my AppleID (iPhone8/iPad4) gets changed about two or three times a month 🤪. I have sms/OTP/Authenticators/PINs for 2FA. And you can’t get into my laptop’s OS or BIOS without a physically existing but hidden third party USB fingerprint scanner in my house. I don’t take it anywhere ever, but I do use it for writing in bed after 11pm while everyone is asleep.

I don’t leave websites logged in all the time, either. Unless it’s something like the SA Awful App (phone) or my AppleTV box apps. Maybe the Reddit app with a throwaway gmail box that is only used for Reddit app stuff.

Of course, my best security is I’m a pitiful dumb neckbeard in my parents’ attic with no visitors and no reason for anyone to be in my room (mom, dad, Granny all are double knee replacements, so me and my puppy are always alone while upstairs). The only person to be in my room is my grandnephew who likes to play my son’s old Blue’s Clues games. He’s not much of a threat model, though…😏

Edit: Not much pc building here, sorry. Won’t happen again (for at least a day or two!).

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 14, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

PoizenJam posted:

Well shoot, I wasn't aware! In any case, I couldn't justify the cost increase. I settled on the following build:

Fractal Design Node 304
Ryzen 5600x w/ stock cooler (may be scoring one for cheap; local seller has BNIB that came with unneeded bundle)
2x8GB 3200MHz RAM
1tb NVME SSD

I went pretty cheapo on RAM and SSD to save costs. Like 'Silicon Power' cheap. Unfortunately couldn't source a 550 motherboard that was cost effective for this build.

For the curious- yes, this build will comfortably fit in your standard Ikea Kalax sized entertainment stand/book shelf cubby-hole.

How much is the board?

Why 3200 ram abs what are the timings? 3600 ram generally shouldn’t be more than :10bux: extra.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

PoizenJam posted:

Looks like the cheapest b550 itx board is CAD$129 after rebate, although it's currently on back order.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I assume he went with this: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/P4FKHx/silicon-power-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3200-cl16-memory-sp016gxlzu320bdaj5

The cheapest 3600 CL16 set is $20 more: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2TFKHx/crucial-ballistix-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-bl2k8g36c16u4b

If he's pinching every penny, then I'm unconvinced that 3600 offers a big enough difference to matter that much here. The handful of benchmarks I've seen show a rather minor difference. It's nice to have faster memory, but not necessary if you're on a strict budget.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

PoizenJam posted:

Fractal Design Node 304
2x8GB 3200MHz RAM
1tb NVME SSD

The stock 5600X cooler should be fine, but if you want to upgrade to an inexpensive 3rd party air cooler that runs quieter and keeps temps lower than the Wraith stock cooler, the Vetroo V5 ($25-$30) performance is at level of the much more expensive Noctua U12-S ($70) on a Ryzen 5 CPU.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GXNgPSBq8g&t=850s

mA fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 15, 2021

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Hey goons, I'm hoping to build a fairly high end gaming pc with most of this parts list:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RXnDBc

My questions:
Given the other specs is it worth going higher than 5600x? That seems like a sweet spot, but I could be theoretically limited by the cpu?
Any other issues?

Motherboard. I narrowed it down to a couple, if anyone can advise on if these are good picks:
https://www.newegg.com/asrock-x570-taichi/p/13-157-883
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-b550-aorus-pro-ac/p/13-145-216
https://www.newegg.com/asrock-x570-steel-legend-wifi-ax/p/13-157-894

I would appreciate advice, as I haven't built a PC in several years, so I've only recently been researching options.

Oryp fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 15, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Oryp posted:

fairly high end

3080Ti

Lol

While the 3080Ti is an undoubtedly excellent gaming GPU, it's also terrible value at RRP, $500 over the 3080 for about 10% more performance. Obviously pricing is all over the place so if it's a choice between a $1200 3080 and a $1300 3080Ti then yeah obviously go for the Ti but otherwise try to hold out for a more sensibly priced 3080 because when it's close to RRP it's actually good value for the performance.

Regarding boards, get a b550 chipset because the x570 has an annoying tiny fan.

If you're just gaming at 1440p or 4k then the 5600x is more than enough CPU. If you have productivity needs where more cores are useful or you want to play high frame rate competitive 1080p gaming then get a higher core count processor. If you don't know the answer to the productivity question it's 'no' and the 5600x will be fine.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

Lol

While the 3080Ti is an undoubtedly excellent gaming GPU, it's also terrible value at RRP, $500 over the 3080 for about 10% more performance. Obviously pricing is all over the place so if it's a choice between a $1200 3080 and a $1300 3080Ti then yeah obviously go for the Ti but otherwise try to hold out for a more sensibly priced 3080 because when it's close to RRP it's actually good value for the performance.

Regarding boards, get a b550 chipset because the x570 has an annoying tiny fan.

If you're just gaming at 1440p or 4k then the 5600x is more than enough CPU. If you have productivity needs where more cores are useful or you want to play high frame rate competitive 1080p gaming then get a higher core count processor. If you don't know the answer to the productivity question it's 'no' and the 5600x will be fine.

I understand that the 3080ti is not the best value, but I can get one at MSRP, so I'm building around that.

CPU makes sense and checks out with the research I had done, but wasn't sure if I was being dumb given the quality of the other parts.

Also is the x570 fan really a big issue, or is it just a small additional noise potential?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I assume he went with this: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/P4FKHx/silicon-power-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3200-cl16-memory-sp016gxlzu320bdaj5

The cheapest 3600 CL16 set is $20 more: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2TFKHx/crucial-ballistix-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-bl2k8g36c16u4b

If he's pinching every penny, then I'm unconvinced that 3600 offers a big enough difference to matter that much here. The handful of benchmarks I've seen show a rather minor difference. It's nice to have faster memory, but not necessary if you're on a strict budget.

Close. I switched at the last moment. Nearest 3600 was Corsair Vengeance at $25 more. It was a bit of a coin toss.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Looks like the cheapest b550 itx board is CAD$129 after rebate, although it's currently on back order.

My mobo will be delivered tomorrow without the hassle of a mail in rebate, giving me a project for my previously empty weekend :v:

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 15, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Oryp posted:

Also is the x570 fan really a big issue, or is it just a small additional noise potential?

It's also an extra mechanical part that can break and can't be easily replaced. B550 is the newer chipset and a lot of boards have better components than their respective x570 versions.

PoizenJam posted:

My mobo will be delivered tomorrow without the hassle of a mail in rebate, giving me a project for my previously empty weekend :v:

Fair enough! Enjoy building

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

So I plan to keep an eye on my local Best Buy's RTX stock and I will literally buy any card 3080 or better, budget isn't a problem but I prefer to be reasonable. However, if I can't snag one in the next 3 to 6 weeks then I am just going to buy a prebuild. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on good prebuilds with 3080s?

I have been looking at NZXTs, is that a good idea? They seem reasonably priced for the hardware and quality but it looks like the card choices are 3060, 3060 TI, 3070, 3080 Ti, and 3090 lol. Also, I think some of their cases have airflow issues but I'm not sure which ones if any.

My current PC is a Ryzen 7 2700x with an RTX 2060. I am looking to make a much stronger performing PC, using this one as a secondary stream PC or turn it into a crypto-miner (either as a fun learning experience or project if I enjoy it). My main performance goal has to do with things like multi-boxing/running multiple instances of games/phone emulators (BlueStacks). I also play high-end games like Battlefield and the demanding Crusader Kings 3 :agesilaus:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Brass posted:

So I plan to keep an eye on my local Best Buy's RTX stock and I will literally buy any card 3080 or better, budget isn't a problem but I prefer to be reasonable. However, if I can't snag one in the next 3 to 6 weeks then I am just going to buy a prebuild. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on good prebuilds with 3080s?

I have been looking at NZXTs, is that a good idea? They seem reasonably priced for the hardware and quality but it looks like the card choices are 3060, 3060 TI, 3070, 3080 Ti, and 3090 lol. Also, I think some of their cases have airflow issues but I'm not sure which ones if any.

My current PC is a Ryzen 7 2700x with an RTX 2060. I am looking to make a much stronger performing PC, using this one as a secondary stream PC or turn it into a crypto-miner (either as a fun learning experience or project if I enjoy it). My main performance goal has to do with things like multi-boxing/running multiple instances of games/phone emulators (BlueStacks). I also play high-end games like Battlefield and the demanding Crusader Kings 3 :agesilaus:

The cheapest way to get a good, high-end prebuilt is through Newegg's Custom PC Builder service. You pick the parts from Newegg's own store, using newegg's pricing. Which means you can actually pick functional, high-quality airflow cases, and you can pick parts that make sense together. The selection is supposedly limited to Newegg's california warehouse supply, though it seems more restricted than that. There are still good quality, commonly used parts in all of the categories, though. The extra costs associated over going DIY are the windows key they require you to purchase, and an additional $100 build fee. It basically totals to $200 extra over DIY. The fixed nature of that extra cost means it's more worthwhile for expensive high-end builds than budget ones. To start with, you pick one of the "hot item" GPUs that are only available for purchase through this service (they basically use newegg shuffle pricing) and then it goes into the prebuilt mode with a more limited selection for the rest of the components. (edit: there are a handful of components that they let you check out with even through they don't show up in the more restricted lists, like the 3600 CL16 Ripjaws V and 1TB SN550. Just pick them before picking the GPU. There's no indication of which items work when doing this and which they'll reject. Also be sure to apply any coupon codes for these items at checkout)

The selection of GPUs available as "hot items" here change multiple times a week it seems like. Currently there are no good 3080s to choose (just a $1200 model with a hybrid cooler), though in the past I have seen $900 to $1000 3080s available through the service, allowing for some decent ~$2300 prebuilts.

edit: Speaking of prebuilts, for anyone looking for something on the lower end of the spectrum, there's this: https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali570/p/N82E16883360205?Item=N82E16883360205&cm_sp=Homepage_dailydeals-_-P1_83-360-205-_-10152021&quicklink=true

The cpu cooler is trash, and the fans are connected via molex like it's 2001 all over again so they run at full blast 24/7, but it's a 3060 with an 11400 (a perfectly good, inexpensive cpu for gaming) for $1200. That ain't a bad prebuilt price, all things considered. And the case has good airflow, which is rare for prebuilts. (GamersNexus gave a passing grade to another ABS prebuilt using the same case.)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 15, 2021

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The selection of GPUs available as "hot items" here change multiple times a week it seems like. Currently there are no good 3080s to choose (just a $1200 model with a hybrid cooler), though in the past I have seen $900 to $1000 3080s available through the service, allowing for some decent ~$2300 prebuilts.

Cool, thanks for the writeup. I will keep an eye on what is available for that.

In case I can catch a 3080 at BB, here is my first pass at a build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rMBKYg

I am doing a 'dream' build and I'm open to input. My biggest concerns besides performance are noise and temps. I currently have a fractal case and I'm not a fan, the Lian Li's seem popular and quality. I am also interested in some stuff from be quiet!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Hyper 212 is a solid budget cooler, but I can't help but feel like it'd be out of its depth with the 5950X. I would upgrade to a Scythe Fuma 2 at the very least. It'd be much quieter and it's better at cooling.

The O11 XL can do air cooling, but it's sort of designed for water cooling. Lian Li does make solid cases though, you're right about that. You're probably better off looking at the Lancool II Mesh Performance (or Mesh RGB, if that's your thing), though that doesn't have the same glass box look that's iconic for the O11 line. Be Quiet's Silent Base 802 and Pure Base 500DX are also quality cases.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

mega LOL at putting a hyper 212 on a 5950x, you want a lot more cooling Brass

if you're doing a 'dream build', buy a 360 AIO and throw it on the roof of that O-11 XL

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
LOL yeah, put the Fuma 2 on that bad boy and you should be good. Its a fantastic dual tower air cooler, and one of the best bang for your buck values especially only for $60.

mA fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 15, 2021

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

Oops, it was mostly a placeholder as I have a hyper 212 already. After looking around at some CPU water cooling systems, will likely go with either EK or Lian Li for an AIO 360 CPU Cooler and keep the O-11.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So I sourced my 5600x from a miner who was selling off part of a bundle they purchased. Saved me quite a bit of cash, but it was in fact sealed and he provided the receipt.

So I get home, put it all together and... No POST. No display signal. CPU debug LED on the motherboard comes on and stays on.

I start panicking. I got a lemon! After years of good dealings with second-hand parts, did I get burned? But none of the pins are bent... Everything looks fine?

Unless... The MSI B450i Gaming MAX Plus WIFI I got is running anything but the newest BIOS available? Motherboards are typically running the newest available BIOS, aren't they? But it's an old model and I got it from an Amazon warehouse, so it's possible it's not new. And PC Parts Picker doesn't include it as a compatible part for the 5600x. Is there any way to determine what the BIOS version is if I can't boot?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
unless you have bios flashback on that board no, unfortunately not. that's kind of what bios flashback is - a little dedicated computer that can (sometimes) output a video signal and change the bios.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
if it's more than a year or, honestly bigger concern with a user returned item like that maybe was in a machine for a year until something went wrong and they returned it for refurb without ever touching the bios. you need a slightly older ryzen cpu.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
what's the return policy on places like amazon or whatever on opened parts? you literally need it for like a half hour, just long enough to POST and get into the bios. or if you know someone with a ryzen chip spare.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
No questions asked return when I reported 'Incompatibility' as the reason. Now to source a replacement- if it's actually the CPU I'd like to know for sure, so I guess I'll step up to a b550 after all.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
b550s in theory could have the same problem but again, it's kind of unlikely.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Well, I guess the cheapo build becomes slightly less cheapo. If I want a MOBO that isn't backordered–so I can diagnose my CPU quickly and also finish the build this weekend–my best option is the Gigabyte 550I Aorus Pro. Almost twice the price. And at that point I find it hard to not justify the ~$20 for 3600Mhz RAM.

Will still skirt in under $1000.

Shame it's an RGB motherboard since it'll be inside a Node 304 :v:

Edit: Only other option is ASRock Fatal1ty B450 but I dunno if I wanna roll the dice on another 450 board from Amazon.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 16, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

PoizenJam posted:

Well, I guess the cheapo build becomes slightly less cheapo. If I want a MOBO that isn't backordered–so I can diagnose my CPU quickly and also finish the build this weekend–my best option is the Gigabyte 550I Aorus Pro. Almost twice the price. And at that point I find it hard to not justify the ~$20 for 3600Mhz RAM.

Will still skirt in under $1000.

Shame it's an RGB motherboard since it'll be inside a Node 304 :v:

The RGB on that board sucks rear end, it's just a row of LEDs on the backside that aren't diffused at all. I turned it off immediately.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

PoizenJam posted:

No questions asked return when I reported 'Incompatibility' as the reason. Now to source a replacement- if it's actually the CPU I'd like to know for sure, so I guess I'll step up to a b550 after all.

It’s almost certainly a BIOS compatibility issue. A B450 return no way has updated bios.

Do you have a local Best Buy / micro center/ equivalent? Or a locally owned repair/Part shop? They may be able to update bios for a small fee, or you could buy a different board.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Hey folks, Newegg ended up refunding me for my crushed PC, so I'm here to do this again. Same build as last time, except that I needed to switch to different RAM to be allowed to select the new GPU. I was warned away from Gigabyte cards before; is there anything I should be aware of with MSI?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($739.00 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($144.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($184.88 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($234.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($224.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA G1+ 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($169.99 @ Best Buy)
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 ATX Video Card RTX 3080 SEA HAWK X 10G LHR ($1200)

Total: $3046.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-10-16 09:57 EDT-0400

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i think they have a slightly better reputation than gigabyte but it's not the internet famous NA EVGA coverage. i've not heard of anything particularly bad from msi but i haven't looked too carefully i suppose.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Seyser Koze posted:

Hey folks, Newegg ended up refunding me for my crushed PC, so I'm here to do this again. Same build as last time, except that I needed to switch to different RAM to be allowed to select the new GPU. I was warned away from Gigabyte cards before; is there anything I should be aware of with MSI?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($144.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($184.88 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($234.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($224.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA G1+ 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($169.99 @ Best Buy)
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 ATX Video Card RTX 3080 SEA HAWK X 10G LHR ($1200)

The trident ram is generally very good ram.

That GPU is a hybrid air/AIO card. It actually looks like it might be a real nice card. There aren’t really any reviews on it cause of late launch and poor availability, but frankly it’s hard to gently caress up a hybrid card like that.

That is also a good case. Assuming they build it correctly, that looks like a super solid build. Just make sure when you get it Newegg didn’t do anything dumb.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Seyser Koze posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

Is there a reason you prefer the Cooler Master AIO over the Arctic Freezer II or the EK AIO? They are chart toppers in terms of performance and both less expensive ($20-$25) than the Cooler Master. If it's RGB, I think both the Arctic and EK have RGB variants, too.

mA fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 16, 2021

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

mA posted:

Is there a reason you prefer the Cooler Master AIO over the Arctic Freezer II or the EK AIO? They are chart toppers in terms of performance and both less expensive ($20-$25) than the Cooler Master. If it's RGB, I think both the Arctic and EK have RGB variants, too.

It mainly came down to what Newegg would allow me to include in a system they built themselves, which was a requirement of getting a 3080 at a decent price using the online PC builder. That might change if I wait a while longer, but I'm also not super fussed over a $25 difference. :shrug:

CoolCab posted:

i think they have a slightly better reputation than gigabyte but it's not the internet famous NA EVGA coverage. i've not heard of anything particularly bad from msi but i haven't looked too carefully i suppose.

The trident ram is generally very good ram.

That GPU is a hybrid air/AIO card. It actually looks like it might be a real nice card. There aren’t really any reviews on it cause of late launch and poor availability, but frankly it’s hard to gently caress up a hybrid card like that.

That is also a good case. Assuming they build it correctly, that looks like a super solid build. Just make sure when you get it Newegg didn’t do anything dumb.

Awesome, thanks for the advice.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Hi folks! I have a friend who is interested in grabbing a prebuilt for gaming and streaming. Mostly looking at playing Fortnite & Genshin Impact but she’s wanting to be able to branch out into other stuff as well. I know the Skytech Chronos was mentioned a few pages back and it looks like pretty decent bang for her buck, but is there anything else that folks would recommend? I’m assuming she’ll also want to take that to 32gb of RAM fairly quickly?

She’s not interested in a build and I’m having a hard time finding decent rigs! Any help would be appreciated!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I went to change my RAM LED colors in iCUE and switched to the temperature tab for the first time, where it's reporting that both DIMMs are at 45 C. Is that an okay temp? I'm seeing conflicting info online about how RAM can get unstable over 40 degrees and other people saying it's totally fine.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

45 is barely warm, I can't imagine it would cause any problems.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

change my name posted:

I went to change my RAM LED colors in iCUE and switched to the temperature tab for the first time, where it's reporting that both DIMMs are at 45 C. Is that an okay temp? I'm seeing conflicting info online about how RAM can get unstable over 40 degrees and other people saying it's totally fine.

That’s only if you have some stupid level OC (XMP is fine).

Memory is really finnicky, so if you push a high OC you need low temps to keep things stable. Stock or XMP ram at 40-45C (and we’ll beyond) is totally fine.

Ambient temp in laptops is way higher (as of course is ram temps), and if 40C was a threshold all laptops would be throwing memory errors.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Quidthulhu posted:

Hi folks! I have a friend who is interested in grabbing a prebuilt for gaming and streaming. Mostly looking at playing Fortnite & Genshin Impact but she’s wanting to be able to branch out into other stuff as well. I know the Skytech Chronos was mentioned a few pages back and it looks like pretty decent bang for her buck, but is there anything else that folks would recommend? I’m assuming she’ll also want to take that to 32gb of RAM fairly quickly?

She’s not interested in a build and I’m having a hard time finding decent rigs! Any help would be appreciated!

If there's a Microcenter near you, check with them as they have some pretty good Omen Builds that are not too bad in price.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

doomrider7 posted:

If there's a Microcenter near you, check with them as they have some pretty good Omen Builds that are not too bad in price.

I would not buy an HP prebuilt unless there was absolutely no other reasonable option whatsoever. They’re as bad as Dell with the OEM shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

I would not buy an HP prebuilt unless there was absolutely no other reasonable option whatsoever. They’re as bad as Dell with the OEM shenanigans.

Oh drat. Did not know that. I've seen some of their pre-builts and the parts are pretty legit, but yeah eff that.