Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
https://twitter.com/fschodt/status/1448350838213120000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

I've heard it was foisted on them, but I also heard that they jumped into it without fully realizing the content in it and had to try their hardest to make it work in the demo they were targeting
one piece is also far and away the most plot intensive series they ever did. yugioh has a plot but its plot connected by large stretches of fairly inconsequential episodes, and the basic premise of each arc can be followed even with an episode gone here or there. and pokemon is nothing but problems of the week. sonic x is closer to yugioh, kirby is closer to pokemon. one piece features fairly intricate plotting with, minus the anime original filler, very little material that can be skipped without ruining future plot points or damaging foreshadowing. even if it had been more in line with western sensibilities in terms of what's appropriate for kids, it wouldn't have really worked.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Iirc Luffy just punches a giant poorly edited iceberg and they skip straight to Whisky Peak. And from they they go straight to Drum Kingdom.

Ah that sucks, kind of makes me curious how they would have handled stuff like Thriller Bark, Franky, Robin’s backstory and Ace’s death (not to mention a lot of the post-timeskip stuff).

On that note, how much did they wind up butchering the Alabasta arc (and do they still mention the doctor’s death in Chopper’s intro story)?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Endorph posted:

one piece is also far and away the most plot intensive series they ever did. yugioh has a plot but its plot connected by large stretches of fairly inconsequential episodes, and the basic premise of each arc can be followed even with an episode gone here or there. and pokemon is nothing but problems of the week. sonic x is closer to yugioh, kirby is closer to pokemon. one piece features fairly intricate plotting with, minus the anime original filler, very little material that can be skipped without ruining future plot points or damaging foreshadowing. even if it had been more in line with western sensibilities in terms of what's appropriate for kids, it wouldn't have really worked.

They also did Shaman King, but that was shorter than most of the series they had done and it looks like they just did the entire series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

They also did Shaman King, but that was shorter than most of the series they had done and it looks like they just did the entire series.

I seem to remember Shaman King actually being one of their more faithful dubs ironically enough (they even later went back and did an uncut version).

Hell, I think a few of the 4Kids actors from that series actually returned to their roles for the dub of the current reboot

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Endorph posted:

4kids didn't even want to dub one piece - iirc they were forced to dub it since they ordinally wanted to dub magical doremi, but toei forced them to dub one piece with it as part of a package deal

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The best 4Kids dub was Ultimate Muscle because they managed to get it to do so well there was a third season commissioned

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

4kids didn't even want to dub one piece - iirc they were forced to dub it since they ordinally wanted to dub magical doremi, but toei forced them to dub one piece with it as part of a package deal

less 'forced them to dub it,' more they received it as part of a package deal, and once you have the rights theres no reason not to dub it.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Zeether posted:

The best 4Kids dub was Ultimate Muscle because they managed to get it to do so well there was a third season commissioned

speaking of ultimate muscle, i heard that the original kinnikuman authors restarted work on it a few years ago. has anyone read it, and if so did they change brocken jr to not be a literal nazi anymore

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

dogsicle posted:

no i mean ugh do we have to do another Amazon song and dance with this anime licensing stuff

oh fair enough. none of that stuff really hits me because i just torrent

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It affects everyone because some services severely bit starve the video. Look at how the Netflix rips of Blue Period have the 480p video size being larger than the 1080p.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's a F2P TCG, just like Duel Links so yes.

There's also a 4 player one coming (???) and Rush Duel for Switch which is a proper 'premium' game but it's also a different duel format that hasn't left Asia yet so I dunno anything about it.

Rush duel looks very fun and it's the only yugioh format I'm interested in playing.

https://youtu.be/Z_kDT_cDALQ

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Willo567 posted:

I remember when sonic's voice got replaced for the anime and a lot of sonic fans went loving insane to the point of calling Jason Griffith not human and mass calling Nintendo to replace him with Drummond for Smash Brawl

When did Sonic stop being voiced by Jaleel White?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

It affects everyone because some services severely bit starve the video. Look at how the Netflix rips of Blue Period have the 480p video size being larger than the 1080p.

i figure there's also the knock on effects when it comes to subs, either Netflix type stuff where you get flooded by a bunch of bad quality/MTL ones floating around, our if Disney just ends up having bad subsvfor whatever reason

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

When did Sonic stop being voiced by Jaleel White?

He only ever did it for the 90’s cartoons and since he was a teenager himself at the time he physically cannot do the voice anymore even if he wanted to.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

dogsicle posted:

i figure there's also the knock on effects when it comes to subs, either Netflix type stuff where you get flooded by a bunch of bad quality/MTL ones floating around, our if Disney just ends up having bad subsvfor whatever reason

that makes sense

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Willo567 posted:

speaking of ultimate muscle, i heard that the original kinnikuman authors restarted work on it a few years ago. has anyone read it, and if so did they change brocken jr to not be a literal nazi anymore

they removed his swastika tattoos and don't make a big deal about his skull emblem anymore, but otherwise his outfit is basically unchanged

on the other hand, the new series lets almost everyone who's appeared in the ring before have another shot at a real fight. no matter how badly they jobbed last time or how much of a joke character they were the first time around, they get a chance for a comeback match to show their stuff

yes, even Teapackman and Benkiman

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
how did he survive having his head ripped off

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

is all of kinnikuman scanlated

i want the TV shows to be subbed...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Anime/status/1448725304810348553?t=W3GWLIFeyo4sdQnFIhJR4Q&s=19

Talk about a blast from the past

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is Gravitation any good out of curiosity?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Larryb posted:

Is Gravitation any good out of curiosity?

it's very abusive shoujo boyfriend. i remember hating the manga when i read it at 14

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The only thing I remember from Gravitation was that Shining Collection slapped.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

DoubleDonut posted:

how did he survive having his head ripped off

almost everyone who died in the original run, whether hero or villain, is back to life. the series doesn't even bother trying to explain it. they're just back. everyone remembers that time they were brutally murdered in the ring and is either glad or horrified to see they've turned up for a comeback fight, and that's that

basically the only people who are still confirmed dead are the ones whose deaths have become a defining part of someone else's character, like Brocken Jr's dad, or the ones who've managed to get themselves killed again in the new run

Aurora posted:

yeah

i think Nisei has a bunch of holes in it still, but the original continuity is fully scanlated, all the way from chapter 1 up to the current chapters

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Willo567 posted:

Brocken Jr isn't a nazi, he just wears a nazi uniform. His dad was a nazi however. The new kinnikuman kicks rear end and it probably the best battle shonen running right now

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Aurora posted:

The manga is done yeah. The original anime is on indefinite hold since Hokuto no Gun doesn't have the manpower to do anime right now :(

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The entire first major arc is subbed tho

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

drat, the Squid Game's not fuckin' around with this red light green light

E: Oh, so now Netflix can suddenly pony up for Fly Me To The Moon

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 15, 2021

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

E: Oh, so now Netflix can suddenly pony up for Fly Me To The Moon

lol i said exactly this when i saw it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Probably a difference between being in one scene in a single episode vs being the ending of every episode.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

more likely a difference between how much they care about live-action original content vs licensed anime

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Strange Quark posted:

Rush duel looks very fun and it's the only yugioh format I'm interested in playing.

https://youtu.be/Z_kDT_cDALQ

Oh that does look fast and straightforward and not the uh, paragraphs of text problem that late YGO has. Neat!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Zeether posted:

Disney+ getting anime means zero chances of home video releases because they straight up said "no we're not releasing Loki on Blu-ray get hosed"

So yeah that news kinda makes me not feel good

No it doesn’t because that’s not how anime licensing works. Unless Disney actually funds the show itself and has NA release rights, home video streaming is a completely separate license. Its why you see Sentai picking up a lot of the stuff that hits Netflix or was on Amazon Prime. Sentai figures they can still make a profit just from a home video release while a company like Funimation usually also wants the streaming rights.

It’s more than likely going to be like the Netflix situations. Streaming only for a year or two and then we get a physical release.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also I don't think we know if these rights extend to NA yet. I think they've only been announced for the Japanese D+, looking into it.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Started playing the very anime mystery game/visual novel AI: Somnium Files a few days ago. I really really want to look up fan art for it and check out it’s tv tropes page and all that but I know if i do i’ll spoil it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You are very correct, do not do that

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Hey Arist why did you stop the Three Houses LP right when Crimson Flower was starting?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

laboon is an iceberg. they avoid the iceberg. thats it. the entire laboon miniarc does not happen whatsoever. they dont meet crocus or anything.
what the gently caress
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLySkG1aPOI
this is probably one of the best scenes in the whole drat show how do you just cut this out lmao

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Truga posted:

what the gently caress
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLySkG1aPOI
this is probably one of the best scenes in the whole drat show how do you just cut this out lmao
Right wing 00s cultural snobbery that's how

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

shut up, grouchio