Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
For anyone having difficulty with grabbing an ISO for Windows 11 non-TPM, behold, Rufus to save the day.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Same. I like how it lets you mix and match the different eras/versions. I'm using the start menu that's basically the one from 7, just styled like 11.

It's the drag and drop between two different windows on the taskbar that broke me. I agree with whoever said it's not so much that they removed features, but that a complete rewrite of the Start and Taskbar code simply doesn't have many of the features yet.

I also tried Start11 before StarAllBack and was surprised by how janky and odd Start11 felt. Even the animations were running at 30FPS for opening the Start menu.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The only thing StartAllBack is missing is the window groups new to Windows 11, where you can select an entire group of windows in the taskbar after arranging them in a custom window arrangement.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-11-21h2#1698msgdesc
a registry key that uses non-ASCII characters can BSOD windows 11 lol

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Twibbit posted:

May be coincidence and simply luck, but my surface pro 6 has not randomly dismounted the SD card requiring me to pp it out and back in since I updated to Windows 11.

That was a frequent issue across both my old pro 4 and the pro 6.

So nice it finally got fixed after years of it being a known issue.

You could easily fix this on Windows 10 by switching over to the generic driver from the Realtek driver in device manager. Just have to remember to repeat this after every feature update (so, every 6 months)

It's entirely a driver issue.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The Surface Pro 4 where I reverted to Windows 10 booted up into Windows 11 mysteriously. I start Windows boot manager from grub so maybe it's that. Also wifi works on it again.
E: didn't opt out of the dev / insider channel. It was probably that.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 13, 2021

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Cross-Section posted:

I've been struggling to put this issue into words but basically some programs (namely NordVPN and Mod Organizer 2) are cutting my desktop FPS to ~30 when they're in focus. Clicking out of them or just minimizing the window solves the issue, but it's annoying nonetheless.

I think today's/yesterday's update might have actually fixed this for me. Everything's at the proper framerate with these programs open now.

Good enough trade-off for apparently having even worse Ryzen performance now :argh:

https://www.techpowerup.com/287786/first-windows-11-patch-tuesday-makes-ryzen-l3-cache-latency-worse-amd-puts-out-fix-dates

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I built my new PC pretty much immediately after downloading the first insider build of Windows 11, so I haven't actually been able to notice a performance hit; I shall look forward to my speed patch on the 21st.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
How in the gently caress even? The strings in the registry are all 16-bit Unicode. --edit: Wait, nevermind. HxD says not all are.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 13, 2021

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
It is just me but sound its lower on w11?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Zeta Acosta posted:

It is just me but sound its lower on w11?

The error sounds being reworked is maybe the best thing about windows 11.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Cross-Section posted:

I think today's/yesterday's update might have actually fixed this for me. Everything's at the proper framerate with these programs open now.

Good enough trade-off for apparently having even worse Ryzen performance now :argh:

https://www.techpowerup.com/287786/first-windows-11-patch-tuesday-makes-ryzen-l3-cache-latency-worse-amd-puts-out-fix-dates

How will the update be delivered? Windows Update or through some motherboard download or something directly from AMD?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Windows Update. "Patch Tuesday" refers to patches from Microsoft. They've also gotten pretty good about including important 3rd party patches within Windows Updates these days.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Got updates overnight. Still seems to be running fine, despite the big scary talk about them loving up something with AMD.

Though I haven't had time to try gaming yet, so I guess we'll see. But the way my schedule is looking, they'll probably have the fixes out before I can even try.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
A few new quirks I've noticed.

The onscreen keyboard will pop-up automatically, but it doesn't shift the page, it simply overlays. An annoyance I found out on my Surface very quickly.

The second, and this one is a pretty major one for me, is quick sound output switching. With Win10, a quick click on the speaker brought up a selection menu of all available sound output options. Now you have to go to the Settings and then select. There used to be a little program that did this in the early days of Win10, but then they simply added it in as default.

I also wish you can just mirror the taskbar on multiple monitors. Having to click Start just to open Chrome or Discord or whatever on another monitor, while I have a game on my main, is stupid.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Koskun posted:

The second, and this one is a pretty major one for me, is quick sound output switching. With Win10, a quick click on the speaker brought up a selection menu of all available sound output options. Now you have to go to the Settings and then select. There used to be a little program that did this in the early days of Win10, but then they simply added it in as default.

I use SoundSwitch. I have a decent sound system setup on my desktop, as well as a solid headset w/microphone. I went and set a toggle, which is easy with only two options. Right ctrl+NumPad 0 instantly switches between the two and back the second time. It may be on the MS Store, but I got it so long ago I forgot.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There's an arrow next to the volume bar when you click the speaker icon that lets you switch input, but as someone who also needs to switch inputs quite a bit, it's one of my larger annoyances with 11.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

There's an arrow next to the volume bar when you click the speaker icon that lets you switch input, but as someone who also needs to switch inputs quite a bit, it's one of my larger annoyances with 11.

Does StarAllBack resolve this?

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Combat Pretzel posted:

How in the gently caress even? The strings in the registry are all 16-bit Unicode. --edit: Wait, nevermind. HxD says not all are.
This explains the difficulty I was having with my multimonitor setup in another post. I found the offending registry key, which had non-ASCII characters in it FOR SOME UNKNOWN REASON, and Windows 11 could not delete the key. I tried everything, safe mode, etc. Nothing worked.

I'm back on Windows 10 now.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I wonder in what manner they hosed with the registry stuff, if it's not an issue on 10.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
my personal guess is that they wrote some optimization that assumes ASCII keys since they're apparently very rare and then deployed it without testing on any real world systems.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Does StarAllBack resolve this?

Yes, you can switch to Windows 10 as well as Windows 7 flyouts if you want.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
To get rid of the new garbage right click menu: https://www.howtogeek.com/759449/how-to-get-full-context-menus-in-windows-11s-file-explorer/

I'm having a lot of trouble thinking of reasons to upgrade from 10 when everything I'd be doing would just be things to make it look more like 10 (or Windows 98 in the case of the start menu; thank God for openshell)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Glad to see there's at least some way to get rid of that, since it was far and away my biggest gripe with 11 given how often I had to deal with it. Maybe someday I'll actually give it another shot now

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just buy StartAllBack, has all these options to correct Microsoft's fuckups. Was essential for using Windows 8 as well.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

gotta admit, i'm surprised my laptop didn't make the cut for win11. it's a i7-7600u and i only got it a couple of years ago.

oh well.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ryzen L3 perf regression is fixed

https://twitter.com/windowsinsider/status/1449058618762952705

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Fame Douglas posted:

Just buy StartAllBack, has all these options to correct Microsoft's fuckups. Was essential for using Windows 8 as well.

does startallback fix the right click menu? it isn't listed on the site as a feature

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

site posted:

does startallback fix the right click menu? it isn't listed on the site as a feature

Yes

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I saw a really whiny YouTube video about that this morning as if it wasn’t going to be patched in short order.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/windowsinsider/status/1449068111618101251?s=21

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

abelwingnut posted:

gotta admit, i'm surprised my laptop didn't make the cut for win11. it's a i7-7600u and i only got it a couple of years ago.

oh well.

fwiw, I manually installed on my incompatible CPU (a 7700k) and have had zero issues so far. some people were worried about not being able to receive updates via windows update but i've gotten those as well

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

To get rid of the new garbage right click menu: https://www.howtogeek.com/759449/how-to-get-full-context-menus-in-windows-11s-file-explorer/

I'm having a lot of trouble thinking of reasons to upgrade from 10 when everything I'd be doing would just be things to make it look more like 10 (or Windows 98 in the case of the start menu; thank God for openshell)

Thank you! This made dealing with the right-click menu so much better.

Now if Microsoft would add the clock back to all taskbars I'd be happy. I know I can get ElevenClock, but I'd rather not have to run additional software just for a clock.

Though the lack of clock does lead to some amusing posts on the Windows forum:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

How will the update be delivered? Windows Update or through some motherboard download or something directly from AMD?

More info on this -
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/10/fixes-for-amd-ryzen-performance-other-windows-11-issues-rolling-out-to-testers-now/

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Turmoil posted:

Thank you! This made dealing with the right-click menu so much better.

Now if Microsoft would add the clock back to all taskbars I'd be happy. I know I can get ElevenClock, but I'd rather not have to run additional software just for a clock.

Though the lack of clock does lead to some amusing posts on the Windows forum:

StartAllBack again, lmao. Don't expect Microsoft to add back in these features before the next feature update in six months.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fame Douglas posted:

StartAllBack again, lmao. Don't expect Microsoft to add back in these features before the next feature update in six months.

Windows 11 switched to an annual cycle.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...ion%20editions.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

That gives them 12 whole months to continue to not do any testing

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Not sure why Electron hates the taskbar on my second monitor, but everything that runs in that lovely container does this now:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm curious: is MS soliciting feedback from early adopters, or are they just relying on telemetry? Are they making any visible effort to collect user impressions?

vvv thanks, I'm on W10 (WIN + F does nothing for me, but I do have as much telemetry turned off as possible) on a device that won't make the whitelist anytime soon, and I'm just curious. At least there's a way for people to directly say stuff to the company.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 16, 2021

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

They use ideas from feedback all the time, hit WIN+F and take a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Win + F doesn't do anything for me either, on Windows 11. I didn't go out of my way to turn off extra telemetry stuff; not sure what all I left enabled when I installed 10 on this machine.