Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It never feels like I have enough LFOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I've always loved having my DAW open for all aspects of music, composition included. A lot of what gets me going is capturing moments of inspiration in the midst of a lot of improv - things that go as much against as go to my expectations - so the composition process for me has a lot of scratch tracks in it, and I often will save signal chains as a particular sound that I think will work well elsewhere even if it doesn't work for what I'm up to at the time. Doing that in my DAW with soft synths, amp modelers, and drum machines ready to go has always felt creativity enabling for me, personally.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
One of the reasons I'm so hype for the new SP404 is it basically has Abletons midi capture feature. ~30 seconds of all audio played through it goes to a buffer and can be edited and chopped or looped on a pad.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Does “guitar amp simulator” mean it has tube-like effects or that I can literally line-in a guitar?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Rolo posted:

Does “guitar amp simulator” mean it has tube-like effects or that I can literally line-in a guitar?

Looks like it yeah. I don't expect them to be great but it's a nice addition. From what I saw in a video there's what looks like a Marshall amp effect.

E: and the input on the front has a gain knob and a guitar/mic switch.

E2: yeah I read this wrong, both.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Both I assume. Pretty sure you can line in a guitar on the current 404 but don’t quote me

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Man I kinda really want one now.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:laffo: Making patches is fun.

https://voca.ro/1dS7mK6eBu5f

That said, I have no idea how to ensure that my patch is actually good. Sure, it sounds good to me, but is there like a set of best practices for making patches that I should follow? Something like, I dunno, always use chorus or delay, EQ your leads/pads/bass/drums differently, etc.?

Also, I really need to find a drum machine VST. Laying down beats is way out of my wheelhouse.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Pollyanna posted:

That said, I have no idea how to ensure that my patch is actually good. Sure, it sounds good to me, but is there like a set of best practices for making patches that I should follow? Something like, I dunno, always use chorus or delay, EQ your leads/pads/bass/drums differently, etc.?

Also, I really need to find a drum machine VST. Laying down beats is way out of my wheelhouse.

No headphones rn but that stuff only matters in a mix/song context. You’re better off making something and then working out what needs to shift and change etc to make the whole of the track better. That’s the best way imo to learn what sort of things to aim for/avoid when making a patch with aims of like “good for a bassline” or “good for a tight lead part” etc

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Matt Zerella posted:

The step sequencer on it is awesome as is chord mode. It's an awesome piece of kit. I love mine.

It really is. I'm using it with the Drive By Moss scripts for Bitwig so it's probably not exactly the same but I think he tries to approximate the Ableton experience with it.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

If you'd like some free drums on your computer, check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5QhThwiwQ4 if it seems confusing, or too much to gather at first, there is a series of beginner videos on that channel which I've found helpful.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://static.roland.com/manuals/sp-404mk2_reference/eng/17805567.html?&k=Guitar

The whole SP404mk2 manual is up. If anyones curious about the guitar amp sim on the input here's the basic info.

It handles pedals well too.

Also, I posted this on the VST thread but the Arturia V Collection 8 is on sale for 299 on plugin boutique and there's some pretty sweet synths in there.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

https://static.roland.com/manuals/sp-404mk2_reference/eng/17805567.html?&k=Guitar

The whole SP404mk2 manual is up. If anyones curious about the guitar amp sim on the input here's the basic info.

It handles pedals well too.

Also, I posted this on the VST thread but the Arturia V Collection 8 is on sale for 299 on plugin boutique and there's some pretty sweet synths in there.

Ooooh thats hype, I'm guessing its just the same tech from the Katana/GT-1000. Suddenly very intrigued...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Found this video on sound design, thought it was a real good supplemental primer on synthesizers:

https://youtu.be/9vM-sZQAFDo

B33rChiller posted:

If you'd like some free drums on your computer, check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5QhThwiwQ4 if it seems confusing, or too much to gather at first, there is a series of beginner videos on that channel which I've found helpful.

Sweet, I’ll check it out!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm having entirely too much fun with Vital right now.

https://voca.ro/14uMlO84gABE

I'm actually rather surprised that I made this with just two oscillators, a volume envelope, an LFO on a filter, and some stereo randomness. I should use glide and legato more.

In fact, you know what? This patch doesn't deserve to languish on my drive. Here ya go!

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 17, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Delving deep into the cheese this evening.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

B33rChiller posted:

Can confirm, they are reverse polarity from whatever most guitar pedals take.

This is because (BOSS) guitar pedals are kinda weird in the world of connectors by having a negative tip. But BOSS guitar pedals are so loving popular it's kinda become a standard.

Lol I have an old Faderport, and apparently it has the same connector as guitar pedals, but in reverse polarity, and apparently a bunch of people have exploded theirs by trying to plug in guitar power supply.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
The fact that there are like a dozen plug sizes AND center negative/center positive is just so mindboggling. I mean, even 3-6-9-12 is sort of acceptable but then you get Alesis going all :pseudo: and they make an AC/AC 18V for MIDIVerbs and it's like whyyy

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Get a couple of these bad boys

And throw away the miniplug adapters :ssh:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

j.peeba posted:

Get a couple of these bad boys

And throw away the miniplug adapters :ssh:

Oh god, that's actually a minijack power adapter?

:aaaaa:

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah some old stuff things like Atari 2600 used them

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

petit choux posted:

Delving deep into the cheese this evening.

:shobon: I don't actually know what's cheesy or not, having just really dived into synthesis myself. Is there something I can improve with that?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Laserjet 4P posted:

The fact that there are like a dozen plug sizes AND center negative/center positive is just so mindboggling. I mean, even 3-6-9-12 is sort of acceptable but then you get Alesis going all :pseudo: and they make an AC/AC 18V for MIDIVerbs and it's like whyyy

nintendo did that with the nes. I think the reasoning is that you put the regulators and rectifier inside the unit and leave enough space in the case for heat dissipation. the trade off is that if you plug in the wrong wallwart, wrong polarity on the plug/wrong voltage, nothing in the console breaks. it's actually not a bad idea and if you run any vacuum tubes you have an a/c source for the heaters

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

https://youtu.be/xC27V73CQC4
I have a sequencer that uses minijack power.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

:shobon: I don't actually know what's cheesy or not, having just really dived into synthesis myself. Is there something I can improve with that?

I think you're doing just fine.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Pollyanna posted:

For me, "cheese" (though as a descriptive rather than necessarily derogatory word) when applied to synths is either super raw sounding barely altered/post processed waveforms, or really 80s, often brass, sounds like in Jump, Power Of Love or stuff like that. I would also extend this to early sampled drum machines and orchestral stabs, and tbh a lot of 80s/early 90s stereotypical studio processing.

The Casio Rapman is cheese.
Gated snare reverb is cheese.
FM or sampled slap bass is cheese.

Although here in the UK "cheese" is a catchall term for basically any even slightly dance based pop music from 1990-2010, and also a lot of the old classic rave stuff that broke big.

Hit Me Baby One More time is cheese
Wannabe is cheese
Anything by Aqua or Vengaboys is cheese
Cheeky Girls are cheese
Scooter is the king of cheese

So I guess what I'm saying here is, cheese is fine and good

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 17, 2021

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

simultaneously my favorite strain and one of my least favorite genres

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
g’day curd nerds

e: pu’ a donk on i’

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

petit choux posted:

I think you're doing just fine.

NonzeroCircle posted:

For me, "cheese" (though as a descriptive rather than necessarily derogatory word) when applied to synths is either super raw sounding barely altered/post processed waveforms, or really 80s, often brass, sounds like in Jump, Power Of Love or stuff like that. I would also extend this to early sampled drum machines and orchestral stabs, and tbh a lot of 80s/early 90s stereotypical studio processing.

The Casio Rapman is cheese.
Gated snare reverb is cheese.
FM or sampled slap bass is cheese.

Although here in the UK "cheese" is a catchall term for basically any even slightly dance based pop music from 1990-2010, and also a lot of the old classic rave stuff that broke big.

Hit Me Baby One More time is cheese
Wannabe is cheese
Anything by Aqua or Vengaboys is cheese
Cheeky Girls are cheese
Scooter is the king of cheese

So I guess what I'm saying here is, cheese is fine and good

:v: Oh okay. I'm used to "cheese" and "cheesy" having negative connotations. If it just means a particular style, no big!! I've been messing with the patch since and adding more effects onto it, so it's more processed now than it was before. I guess that makes it velveeta.

Also been thinking about a (theoretical?) hardware setup, and I've gotten this far.

(ignore the "brand new", i just needed to mark what i was interested in)

The reasoning being that I need to fulfill the following:

1. Some sort of percussion/rhythm
2. Some sort of bassline
3. Some sort of lead
4. Some sort of way to control all of the above

...but I don't know if that's actually enough. Don't I need like a mixer or some cables or some poo poo? What are the important parts of a setup?

I can definitely see how this would be a rabbit hole.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I would say yes on volca drum 100%, yes/maybe to the bass, and I would combine the fm and the key step into the reface fm which has onboard editing and a really nice keybed.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Pollyanna posted:

yeah. take it with a grain of salt, but as you seem to be interested in making complete music, finding a groove box or workstation that does all of those things in a single unit would wave you a ton of hassle in terms of keeping everything hooked up, interconnected and synced. if you ever want to gig, it reduces turning 4 or 5 things on and getting them set up to turning 1 or 2 things on. if you don't mind fiddling with obtuse recursive menus on lcd screens and button/jogwheel interfaces that opens up a lot of choices for gear from back when it was impracticle to do those things on a general computer

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I’m already fantasizing about condensing a bunch of my stuff into the 404mk2

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
Installing the Akai MPC software to go along with the MPC live 2 is one hell of a ride:

• You can't specify where you want to install it on windows. It just goes straight into your system drive. This includes any expansions/ content. People talk about how you can use a "symbolic link" to perhaps link your harddisk space eating folders to another drive but when I tried that the MPC software just fails to start.
  • There are packs you can download with names like "The 809", "The Bank" but these are served off the Akai registered products page as zip files which my browser (google chrome) thinks are bad files which mean you gotta explicitly right click -> save file -> yes I really do want to save this dodgy zip file.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

:v: Oh okay. I'm used to "cheese" and "cheesy" having negative connotations. If it just means a particular style, no big!! I've been messing with the patch since and adding more effects onto it, so it's more processed now than it was before. I guess that makes it velveeta.

Also been thinking about a (theoretical?) hardware setup, and I've gotten this far.

(ignore the "brand new", i just needed to mark what i was interested in)

The reasoning being that I need to fulfill the following:

1. Some sort of percussion/rhythm
2. Some sort of bassline
3. Some sort of lead

...but I don't know if that's actually enough. Don't I need like a mixer or some cables or some poo poo? What are the important parts of a setup?

Those are fine. You can also do the same thing with a sampler and a MS-20 or a tape recorder and a minimoog or something.

I honestly found volcas a pain in the rear end to do a song only with. You can but for me it was more of an excercise in limitations than fun or fulfilling.

j.peeba posted:

Yeah some old stuff things like Atari 2600 used them

Big Muffs I think still do? Not the smaller enclosure re-issues but anything in the big trapezoid box. Definitely did into the 2000s. MXR stuff too.

Best policy imo is just labeling your adapters. Huge help after moves, etc too.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I got a MacBook Air mostly for work stuff. Decided to throw my Reaper license onto it because why not and I have to say, Mac’s sound aggregate feature is awesome. Without fumbling with drivers I got my OP-1 to output usb audio to the MacBook and out its speakers under a single customized audio device. It just works right out of the box.

It’s cool.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Rolo posted:

It just works right out of the box.

unsynth very unsynth

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

Speaking of Apple and mini jacks, the iPod Shuffle used a minijack for both charging and data transfer until they were discontinued mid-2017. Given the size of the device, it made sense to combine data transfer, charging, and headphones all into one port to save space. People were not happy when they applied the same rationale to phones.

M1X MacBooks with more ports are rumored to be revealed tomorrow.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Beatstep Pro might be an alternative to the Keystep, it can control one drum and two melodic monosynths at once. Has pads instead of keys though.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Old DOD pedals used them too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

My Lovely Horse posted:

Beatstep Pro might be an alternative to the Keystep, it can control one drum and two melodic monosynths at once. Has pads instead of keys though.

I think you meant 8 drums. Like the keystep pro