Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I have never watched hockey before, but living in the Pacific Northwest I have decided I want to make a good-faith attempt to get in on the ground floor of the Seattle Kraken. I will be watching my first game tonight. Is there anything specific I should know or look out for?

If you don't understand what icing or offsides or chip-and-chase or five-hole means, don't worry about it. I'm sure folks in the thread will be happy to help you out if you have any questions about rules, terminology, etc. Above all, you gotta hoot and holler real loud when your boys score a goal. That's the most important part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I have never watched hockey before, but living in the Pacific Northwest I have decided I want to make a good-faith attempt to get in on the ground floor of the Seattle Kraken. I will be watching my first game tonight. Is there anything specific I should know or look out for?

Just have fun and ask questions if something is confusing. The rules can sometimes be really weird (especially offsides and icing) and it's sometimes difficult to track the puck if you're not used to it, but over time it becomes much easier to follow the play and understand the game.

Also go to a game live if/when you get a chance whenever you feel comfortable given COVID. Hockey in particular is much cooler in person compared to watching other sports in person.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

So is it too much to ask to hope Bally Sports Network gets jettisoned to another company that can figure out how to put a hockey scoring bug where it's supposed to be?

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

and it's sometimes difficult to track the puck if you're not used to it, but over time it becomes much easier to follow the play and understand the game.

As someone who (10 years ago or so) decided to do exactly as Haschel is doing now, I think this is key to enjoying it is learning how to track the puck. Not something you can do instantly, but once you can, you no longer feel constantly behind the play. Obviously it’s hidden from play (side boards, bodies) a lot of the time, but following the players eyes usually gets you there.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

CBJSprague24 posted:

So is it too much to ask to hope Bally Sports Network gets jettisoned to another company that can figure out how to put a hockey scoring bug where it's supposed to be?

There’s a whole mess of problems with RSNs right now that might blow up all non-NFL sports.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Is there anything specific I should know or look out for?

When the vulcanized black thing goes in your net it's bad. When it goes in the other net it's good. The refs are out to get you. Fire Dave Hakstol. Enjoy the new exciting hopeful optimism before your team starts trading for Ryan Reaves and signing Tyler Myers to a long term contract. Though that's probably going to be Ristolainen this offseason.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

When the vulcanized black thing goes in your net it's bad. When it goes in the other net it's good. The refs are out to get you. Fire Dave Hakstol. Enjoy the new exciting hopeful optimism before your team starts trading for Ryan Reaves and signing Tyler Myers to a long term contract. Though that's probably going to be Ristolainen this offseason.

Goddamn Risto doesn't even have term? The flyers really gave up a first and second for a rental of that trash

incredible

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Does anyone who has directv have sound issues constantly with MSG Network?

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
save your leg kicks for when you score goals, panarin

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Thornton still looks good

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Douchebag posted:

Does anyone who has directv have sound issues constantly with MSG Network?

It's completely blacked out for me and I'm not happy.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Dallas fans were teased with this new 3 line look in pre-season:

Robertson - Hintz - Pavelski
Peterson - Seguin - Radulov
Raffl - Benn - Gurianov

after many years of being basically a 1 line team.. traditionally that line has been Benn - Seguin - Radulov, last year it was Robertson - Hintz - Pavelski with Seguin and Radulov missing basically the entire season.

I know that those aren't necessarily the 3 best lines in the league, but the idea of some semblance of scoring depth was attractive to many Dallas fans.

Well come to find out that Robertson might be out for a bit to start the season and we are back to the big top line of Benn, Seguin and Radulov with Jacob Peterson filling in with Hintz and Pavelski on the 2nd line lol.. after that things get ugly.

I can feel it in my bones, we are never getting that 3 lines of scoring depth this season lol. Dallas is too cursed with injuries.

oh well, Go Stars! would be nice for Holtby to get a good start in Dallas cause I guess for better or for worse he is our guy now :D

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
THE DALLAS STARS HAVE THE 2ND OLDEST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE

BUT FOR RIGHT NOW THEYRE UNDEFEATED

GO STARS, PLEASE PREVENT MY TEARS

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

It's completely blacked out for me and I'm not happy.

I fixed the dumb problem by literally pausing and pushing play immediately. It’s the only channel this happens on.

Why are you blacked out? Figured you were NY local-ish.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Starsfan posted:

Dallas fans were teased with this new 3 line look in pre-season:

Robertson - Hintz - Pavelski
Peterson - Seguin - Radulov
Raffl - Benn - Gurianov

after many years of being basically a 1 line team.. traditionally that line has been Benn - Seguin - Radulov, last year it was Robertson - Hintz - Pavelski with Seguin and Radulov missing basically the entire season.

I know that those aren't necessarily the 3 best lines in the league, but the idea of some semblance of scoring depth was attractive to many Dallas fans.

Well come to find out that Robertson might be out for a bit to start the season and we are back to the big top line of Benn, Seguin and Radulov with Jacob Peterson filling in with Hintz and Pavelski on the 2nd line lol.. after that things get ugly.

I can feel it in my bones, we are never getting that 3 lines of scoring depth this season lol. Dallas is too cursed with injuries.

oh well, Go Stars! would be nice for Holtby to get a good start in Dallas cause I guess for better or for worse he is our guy now :D

Hintz legitimately owns. Seguin is a mystery. Benn is old but Radulov and Gurianov are both good scorers. Even if line 3 is Faksa in the middle he's no slouch, he just has historically had some of the harshest deployments in the league. He's probably got more to offer if given a less strenuous role

Suter is a huge get, too. I actually really like Dallas's depth this season, contingent on how much the older guys have to give.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

lol sweet Ryan Raves elbowed Klingberg in the head

oh it was one of the other rangers, my bad

**eh on reflection it looks more like he rolled over on his leg, ouch.. hope he comes back

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
what a turnover

e: probably doesn't count but what a turnover

2e: I guess that's not a kick

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Douchebag posted:

I fixed the dumb problem by literally pausing and pushing play immediately. It’s the only channel this happens on.

Why are you blacked out? Figured you were NY local-ish.

Yep I'm in the boroughs. Apparently it's an issue with DTVstream. I checked the other MSG channel and the Islanders game is blacked out too.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Barkov is absolute loving beast mode tonight

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hand Knit posted:

what a turnover

e: probably doesn't count but what a turnover

2e: I guess that's not a kick

You didn't watch the Kraken game did you?

Unsurprised that the Leafs are looking like absolute dog poo poo since they were dreadful for the first ten minutes last night too with no back-to-back excuse.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The Leafs are already in post-season form, I see.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
Looks like Barzy might have his first goal after a very long review process down in Raleigh :pray:

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
The 7 Eleven helmet logo works well for the Stars.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
lol the LCA looks like its got covid restrictions going on with the attendance

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Not Important posted:

Looks like Barzy might have his first goal after a very long review process down in Raleigh :pray:

:siren: THERE IT IS

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Seguin you goddang ding dong

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is probably the largest area for improvement for Dallas, their PK has been awful for years.. sorting that out would go a long way to improving their position in the standings this season.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://twitter.com/dnadders/status/1448793313142841344?s=20

Fuckin ow on that leg

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Canes tie it :argh:

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

If Klingberg is out I don't know what the Stars do.. I don't think any of Sekera, Hanley or Hakanpaa can flex up to the 2nd pairing minutes.. Maybe it's Thomas Harley time after all!

**oh as soon as I post that he is back, whew.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

PP let’s go Stars

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Red Wings bringing back all the living captains to pass the torch to Larkin is a cool move

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Just realized it's been half a period of stars hockey and something seems missing.

Oh that's right, I haven't screamed "for gently caress sakes Oleksiak".

Feels good.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Also, go hockey and go Stars. gently caress the rags and the rest of the teams.

Woo!

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Not sure if Canes PK is that strong, or Isles PP is that weak

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

would be nice if the Stars stopped missing the net on shot attempts from the low slot lol

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Jesus, Slavin :smith:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ImplicitAssembler posted:

The Leafs are already in post-season form, I see.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Starsfan posted:

would be nice if the Stars stopped missing the net on shot attempts from the low slot lol

Stars play D, they don't score goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
leafs having a bit of a rough one