Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

LeafHouse posted:

drat, why’d they have to make Dustin complete and utter rear end?

I don't know who was clamoring for a less good, Azorious version of Dalakos with limited partner, but I guess we have one now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Season 1 of Stranger Things is legitimately good, after that it's seriously just worth ignoring.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It's like TWD where normal brained people like the secretaries at my work and my GF's extended family love it but jaded online posters think it sucks rear end. I haven't seen it but it's fun to talk poo poo about things.

At the very least I have to assume people won't find any of the characters as morally objectionable as Negan.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

fadam posted:

normal brained people

jaded online posters

Ah, the two genders.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

fadam posted:

It's like TWD where normal brained people like the secretaries at my work and my GF's extended family love it but jaded online posters think it sucks rear end. I haven't seen it but it's fun to talk poo poo about things.

At the very least I have to assume people won't find any of the characters as morally objectionable as Negan.

My fiance regularly roasts me for not watching shows that came out after 2007 and I took to Stranger Things like gangbusters.

To be honest if you are a 35-45 year old internet nerd, the show was basically made for you.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

ShaneB posted:

Season 1 of Stranger Things is legitimately good, after that it's seriously just worth ignoring.

Season 2 gave us Steve and Dustin as a character pair and it loving ruled

Season 3 had Robin and the russian guy and it loving ruled

Stranger Things is good and fun but overhyped

Edit: season 2 also has an episode that's just a big homage to The Invisibles and most people hated it, but if you have an unhealthy love of Grant Morrison then you'll love it (it's me I'm that guy)

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 14, 2021

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I don't care one iota about the licensed MTG cards that are only playable in EDH other than the fact that its pretty funny that the kind of cards people just make up on twitter are almost always more compelling and fitting for the characters than the ones Wizards does.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

fadam posted:

It is astounding how they found exactly the wrong product to start with in TWD. If they'd done D&D first, then LOTR, then maybe 40K, the boiling water would have been turned up so slowly that many wouldn't have noticed. But instead they start with TWD, and just poured scalding water from the kettle into the bare pan.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

whydirt posted:

has no one told fadam that they’re a villain in an anime?

I'm super disappointed that Fadam is who the GCI assigned to me but wygd?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Stranger Things practically rubs itself raw over 80s nostalgia so it was absolutely engineered to snare in a certain demographic of nerds and pulling in normies was collateral

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Silhouette posted:

Season 2 gave us Steve and Dustin as a character pair and it loving ruled

Season 3 had Robin and the russian guy and it loving ruled

Stranger Things is good and fun but overhyped

Edit: season 2 also has an episode that's just a big homage to The Invisibles and most people hated it, but if you have an unhealthy love of Grant Morrison then you'll love it (it's me I'm that guy)

If they were more willing kill off the audience favorites (i.e Hopper in S2) and lean more into the anthology format they could've done some interesting stuff.

Still entertaining enough but very much empty content calories.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Very strange choice to go all in on mechanically unique cards instead of going with the Godzilla Series approach, especially when these mechanically unique cards kind of blow mechanically.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

I Before E posted:

Very strange choice to go all in on mechanically unique cards instead of going with the Godzilla Series approach, especially when these mechanically unique cards kind of blow mechanically.

They will print non-standard legal versions of these cards with different names/art in 6 months or so. They will be printed in "THE LIST".

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

I Before E posted:

they're putting out rethemed non secret lair versions in the future unless you mean something else by 'the godzilla approach'

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I thought Season 1 of Stranger Things was good, Season 2 was OK.... but the art on those magic cards isn't very good...

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

flatluigi posted:

they're putting out rethemed non secret lair versions in the future unless you mean something else by 'the godzilla approach'

The one they used for the Ikoria cards where they had a Godzilla version but were functionally identical to an existing card.

There's no shortage of cards in Midnight Hunt that could be reasonably aliased with this Stranger Things flavor, and I doubt the promise that these are mechanically new is what's selling the $30 boxes with 5 cards in them

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I don't really think the order in which the alt-universe version vs the magic universe version comes out is that important unless you really need the cards asap

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
That's what they're doing.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i before e just wants them to be reprints and not new cards, which is understandable, but the TWD cards sold incredibly well apparently and this is at least a way to get unthemed versions out there while the ip holders insist on getting new cards

good news though, the fortnite cards are gonna all be reprints

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
christ that art sucks.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I Before E posted:

The one they used for the Ikoria cards where they had a Godzilla version but were functionally identical to an existing card.

There's no shortage of cards in Midnight Hunt that could be reasonably aliased with this Stranger Things flavor, and I doubt the promise that these are mechanically new is what's selling the $30 boxes with 5 cards in them

someone posted an article earlier that goes into this

https://www.ign.com/articles/as-magic-the-gathering-grows-fans-dont-know-what-its-future-holds

quote:

The Fortnite Secret Lair will be reskinned cards like the positively-received Godzilla reskins before it, but the ones for Stranger Things and Street Fighter will also feature mechanically unique cards. That left many wondering why reskins didn’t become the norm, which Heggen says is partially due to the significantly greater success of the unique cards and partially for the benefit of WOTC’s designers. “To be clear, we do still absolutely love what we call the overlay technique, what we did with Godzilla,” Heggen explains. “We also love being able to just task our team with saying ‘don't find the closest approximation,’” enabling them to design something explicitly for the flavor of a certain crossover character.

tho the flavor in these stranger things seems pretty dogshit

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

fadam posted:

Okay, this is a complaint I've seen multiple times, and I genuinely don't get it: what is wrong with them printing Negan? It's not like Magic is a stranger to printing evil characters on cards- Nicol Bolas enslaved an entire plane to turn into a zombie army factory, and for stuff that hits closer to home, we have people like Massacre Girl, who is literally just a serial killer. Of all the issues that the TWD secret lair had, I don't get why "they made a card for a villain" is one of them.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

serefin99 posted:

Okay, this is a complaint I've seen multiple times, and I genuinely don't get it: what is wrong with them printing Negan? It's not like Magic is a stranger to printing evil characters on cards- Nicol Bolas enslaved an entire plane to turn into a zombie army factory, and for stuff that hits closer to home, we have people like Massacre Girl, who is literally just a serial killer. Of all the issues that the TWD secret lair had, I don't get why "they made a card for a villain" is one of them.

I don’t either, but other people do and that’s just the way she goes. There’s no value in relitigating this again.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

These rule though.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

babypolis posted:

someone posted an article earlier that goes into this

https://www.ign.com/articles/as-magic-the-gathering-grows-fans-dont-know-what-its-future-holds

tho the flavor in these stranger things seems pretty dogshit

I guess the mechanical uniqueness is a big selling point. Answers my question, then. Still doesn't really explain why the cards are so mechanically underwhelming when being mechanically unique is such a selling point, but nevertheless.

serefin99 posted:

From what I understand there are elements of sexual violence to the character that make it more contentious and uncomfortable than "here's the god of the torture circus cult" or "here's a machine freak who experiments on still living creatures".

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I've not watched Stranger Things, how much of an action man is Jim Hopper, that he can duel Guan Yu to a draw?

Anyway I have to play some Friends Forever thing because of Miami Connection.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

THREAD RULES AND GUIDELINES
All Trad Games and SA posting rules apply. In addition, please understand that after hundreds of thousands of posts, there are some specific arguments that most posters are really done with re-hashing:

They're Ruining Magic! It's Doomed!: Magic: The Gathering is the most profitable Trad Game around the world and it is not going away any time soon. If they're printing cards you hate, fair enough: you can say so, and you can say why. But please, nobody really wants to explain to yet another poster how this latest Secret Lair is not, in fact, dooming the game or the company to oblivion. Perhaps it's the last straw for you, and if so, that's your call to make... but don't expect many posters to follow. We are also completely done with re-hashing the problematic nature of the Walking Dead Secret Lair cards.

This is probably too buried in the wall of text in the OP, huh? And I put it under the "magic is doomed" heading. Maybe it needs its own heading.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Hopper is a fat middle-aged sheriff who's constantly miserable and is the best character on the show

Edit: his SLD card sucks though

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

This is probably too buried in the wall of text in the OP, huh? And I put it under the "magic is doomed" heading. Maybe it needs its own heading.

My apologies.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

No, I genuinely think folks aren't seeing that, and that's on me. It's too easy to miss, especially since so much of this thread's OP is a reprint of the previous one. I'll try and pull it out more prominently.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Leperflesh posted:

Sorry, didn't know we had a moratorium on that discussion.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
There's a front page OP??? ;)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Put it as bold and large as you want, nobody reads ops so it wont matter

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, I know.

Sigh.

Did you guys know I write documentation? Like, as my real job. It's quite absurd, really.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Silhouette posted:

Hopper is a fat middle-aged sheriff who's constantly miserable and is the best character on the show

Edit: his SLD card sucks though

I think his is the best one, it's a shame that he can't partner with anything relevant to investigating.

Same with Mike and reanimating. Mike/Tevesh Szat. Friends through eternity, loyalty, honesty.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

more stranger things cards

more secret lairs

speaking of too much text: "read the fine print"

apparently also the MTG flavored version of the Stranger Things cards will show up in New Capenna Set Boosters. Approx 1 in 8 set boosters will have one of the MTG-equivalent versions.

https://clips.twitch.tv/YummySparklingStarHumbleLife-TM1Ty6pEGlv42lDH

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I Before E posted:

I guess the mechanical uniqueness is a big selling point. Answers my question, then. Still doesn't really explain why the cards are so mechanically underwhelming when being mechanically unique is such a selling point, but nevertheless.

i dunno anything about commander but it seems to me that the friends forever mechanic basically forced them to be dogshit

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TotalHell posted:

These rule though.

These are neat.
Not functional as game pieces but if I collected I would pick them up

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Okay the Mind Flayer card is a really good flavor hit for how it works in Stranger Things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Those artifact lands are very cool and I hope they come to arena at some point