Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

Real hurthling! posted:

a loaf of bread is a big chunk of the daily calories for several people each and rustius sounds like he sent 3 dozen over.
each loaf cost upwards of half a sestertius, or two asses (lol) so thats 18 sesterces. 4 of those to a denarius, a standard wage for a full day, gives us 4.5 denarii, or in raw value terms about 52 skilled professional manhours of labor.
give the man his fancy blades

i wonder what rustius would have thought about people a good 2-3000 years after he died looking at his note and being like "yeah that guy paid for some knives in full"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hes owed a wedding gift from his bro even without the charity i suppose too.

tangentially

even romans on the dole were paying through the nose to turn their grain into edible bread since the big filter for an apartment dweller was oven access and fuel, both of which a landlord was happy to offer to his tenants at one of his bakery stalls for a additional fee, similar to the predatory businesses that spring up in the US to soak up whatever meager aid people get.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

Real hurthling! posted:

tangentially

even romans on the dole were paying through the nose to turn their grain into edible bread since the big filter for an apartment dweller was oven access and fuel, both of which a landlord was happy to offer to his tenants at one of his bakery stalls for a additional fee, similar to the predatory businesses that spring up in the US to soak up whatever meager aid people get.

Generally speaking, dealing with a social superior in Greece and Rome seems like it must have been pretty nerve wracking, even (or maybe especially) they were your husband. Consider the magic of social inferiors, phillia.

quote:

Out of all of the forms of love magic that existed in the Greco-Roman world, the two most common were eros and philia. Unlike eros, which was more commonly used by men, philia magic was utilized by women and others who were considered to be social inferiors.

Since there was an emphasis on service to the state in Greco-Roman culture, these social inferiors felt like they were doing their country a service. If a woman was capable of repairing her broken marriage and improving her husband's interaction with the neighbors through magic, society was benefiting as a whole. Despite this protective purpose seen by women, philia spells were looked down on by men. They were a great source of anxiety because men saw them as tools used by the social inferiors to hijack power from the male-dominated hierarchy.[1]

Often, this took incredibly harmless forms, like wearing gemstones thought to give an advantage and incline superiors towards sympathy. A good portion of this "magic" seems to be understanding how much wine to supply in order to ensure a good, chill mood. On the other hand, the purpose was still to control the target, and it could be genuinely ugly and tragic even if we are sympathetic to the motives behind it:

quote:

The narcotics used in potions were designed to sedate men in progressive stages beginning with cheerfulness/ sexual arousal, progressing to the weakening of vitality, and finally ending with sleep. Potions were placed in one of two categories: irritants and those used to increase relaxation and affection. As with all narcotics, there was always a risk of severe harm or death being caused by accidental overdoses. The effects of the two potion categories were difficult to distinguish in small doses, but not in large amounts. Substantial doses of irritants caused cramping, pain, and insomnia while relaxants led to drowsiness and eventually a loss of consciousness.[1]

This is just all from me wiki surfing, I'd love an in-depth look from an expert.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the patron-client relationship and its service for favors economy and the all important dinner party invitation that would allow a client to network for more opportunities must indeed have sucked balls to be steeped in and probably led to the same sort of depression and burnout that executive assistant type people get in modern times. Martial comically describes one man who failed to secure an invite as drooping so low in despair he was digging a groove into the stone portico floor with his face as he paces back and forth waiting for word that would never come

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

Real hurthling! posted:

the patron-client relationship and its service for favors economy and the all important dinner party invitation that would allow a client to network for more opportunities must indeed have sucked balls to be steeped in and probably led to the same sort of depression and burnout that executive assistant type people get in modern times. Martial comically describes one man who failed to secure an invite as drooping so low in despair he was digging a groove into the stone portico floor with his face as he paces back and forth waiting for word that would never come

being a host and a guest in the ancient world was just so incredibly important in general. along with being storm gods, pantheon heads and monotheistic yahweh were also big time in charge of enforcing the laws of hospitality. to the point where it's not even fully correct to say the crime of sodom was even rape, it was first and foremost being really lovely to guests and the entire story is about how they were lovely hosts and lot went above and beyond to be an exemplary host and the rest is just there to support this idea.

that's part of why bethlehem finding a place for Mary and Joseph's family to stay when there were so many refugees they barely had any room is a big deal

this is of course the real irony of contemporary nativist christianity: they're pissing off their god in ways some gay people who want to express themselves in a manner congruent to christian marriage could never even hope to. from that perspective, america should welcome the hypercane.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 00:37 on Oct 11, 2021

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

tangentially

It depends, at first they were given flour and they would have to take it to bakeries to be turned into bread but eventually they were just given straight bread instead. Looks like it was Septimus Severus's day, just another reason why he was one of the better emperors.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://twitter.com/brookssterritt/status/1420417666611912707

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Hodgepodge posted:

i wonder what rustius would have thought about people a good 2-3000 years after he died looking at his note and being like "yeah that guy paid for some knives in full"

I wonder too, I guess he'd feel vindicated that people agree that he paid for the knives and amazed that he achieved a type of immortality. But I imagine he would also be slightly disappointed that this was the only letter that survived. Im sure there were other moments of his life he'd rather be remembered for or better letters he'd written that he wished we had instead. Mundane stuff from history is amazing but most people are vain enough that they'd want to try and look good for future archaeologists if at all possible.

Instead, lmao at that guy that got owned by a shark!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

it's all fun and games until we accidentally make sphinx.ai and we have to answer the riddle or it will send a drone to eat us

palindrome posted:

I wonder too, I guess he'd feel vindicated that people agree that he paid for the knives and amazed that he achieved a type of immortality. But I imagine he would also be slightly disappointed that this was the only letter that survived. Im sure there were other moments of his life he'd rather be remembered for or better letters he'd written that he wished we had instead. Mundane stuff from history is amazing but most people are vain enough that they'd want to try and look good for future archaeologists if at all possible.

Instead, lmao at that guy that got owned by a shark!

speaking as someone who was doing really great in grad history until circumstances and depression met my will to work on my thesis paper, even the most boring mundane poo poo is infinitely valuable and will probably help answer surprisingly important questions. even if we literally already know everything it tells us, attestation of practices, beliefs, and even words in a given time period are all super helpful in establishing the continuity and change and so forth in various elements of past societies.

of course we do have cute stuff in ancient letters as well, like the wife of a commander in, iirc, ancient babylon, being all concerned about the cold weather and her husband's health :3:

e: just loling again that Ea-Nasir literally kept a room full of his favourite complaints. dude is remembered exactly the way he'd want to be, i think.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 03:28 on Oct 11, 2021

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

a loaf of bread is a big chunk of the daily calories for several people each and rustius sounds like he sent 3 dozen over.
each loaf cost upwards of half a sestertius, or two asses (lol) so thats 18 sesterces. 4 of those to a denarius, a standard wage for a full day, gives us 4.5 denarii, or in raw value terms about 52 skilled professional manhours of labor.
give the man his fancy blades

This may be all true but hes still a guilt tripping pain in the rear end.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

WHERAS, Columbus was a debt junkie used by Venetian banks to mercilessly feed a demand for precious metals which originated, without the knowledge of anyone involved on either end, in Buddhist monasteries which accidentally discovered modern finance.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
WHEREAS, Christopher Columbus was so awful of a person that even the people of his own time dedicated resources to investigating his horrific torture and genocide of indigenous Caribbean peoples and as a result he was thrown in jail, his wealth was confiscated, he was replaced as the governor of the Spanish West Indies, and he was so detested by his contemporaries that when several years later he was shipwrecked on Jamaica, they refused to send any help or rescue because they wanted him to die there.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!
WERE rear end, celebrating Amerigo Vespucci who either actually discovered the Americas or got them named after him by accident, and having become a Spanish citizen and served the Spanish crown for much of his later life, was arguably more Spanish than Columbus, makes a lot more sense than "Spain's Accidental Hitler."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

vyelkin posted:

WHEREAS, Christopher Columbus was so awful of a person that even the people of his own time dedicated resources to investigating his horrific torture and genocide of indigenous Caribbean peoples and as a result he was thrown in jail, his wealth was confiscated, he was replaced as the governor of the Spanish West Indies, and he was so detested by his contemporaries that when several years later he was shipwrecked on Jamaica, they refused to send any help or rescue because they wanted him to die there.

Keep in mind that the one that was horrified by Columbus' actions were noted racist and religious fanatic Isabella I of Castile. Imagine how horrible you have to be to make the person who purged Spain from jews upset with you.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

It's incredible the traction of the "he was not unusual for the period" is given that he was considered shockingly cruel by people who were themselves brutal even by the standards of the age.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

Tulip posted:

It's incredible the traction of the "he was not unusual for the period" is given that he was considered shockingly cruel by people who were themselves brutal even by the standards of the age.

given that vlad the implaler, aka dracula, aka alucard, aka dr. ackula, is remembered as a hero and mostly targeted the lower/middle nobility, he probably would have been horrified by columbus had he lived three or four more decades (surely not a big ask for a vampire).

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
there are so many statues and plaques honoring cristoforo colombo in northwestern italy

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

given that vlad the implaler, aka dracula, aka alucard, aka dr. ackula, is remembered as a hero

I mean, so is Columbus.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

Alhazred posted:

I mean, so is Columbus.

Yeah, but Vlad is remembered as a hero by people he actually ruled. Also, he passed the throne onto his brother Radu, the incredibly sexy gay badass.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

Yeah, but Vlad is remembered as a hero by people he actually ruled.

Mainly because he discovered new and inventive ways to kill muslims.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Alhazred posted:

You favs are problematic, even sweet old Vlad “The Impaler” Dracula.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

is no legacy safe from the changing societal attitudes toward brutal torture

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

Alhazred posted:

This is a conversation which I could only continue by at least implying that atrocities can justify other atrocities. So I guess I'll cede "Mt. Woke Dracula" and merely maintain he'd still :chloe: Columbus.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

This is a conversation which I could only continue by at least implying that atrocities can justify other atrocities. So I guess I'll cede "Mt. Woke Dracula" and merely maintain he'd still :chloe: Columbus.
It's hard to see what he would object to. Transylvania (and most likely Vlad himself) kept slaves for example. His main objection against Columbus would probably have been that he was catholic.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

Alhazred posted:

It's hard to see what he would object to. Transylvania (and most likely Vlad himself) kept slaves for example. His main objection against Columbus would probably have been that he was catholic.

that didn't stop the spanish, dunno why transylvania would be different

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
idk where else I'd ask this and I figure someone here might know, but are weight classes as big a deal in sword fighting as they are in hand to hand? like we all know Muhammad Ali would have kicked Bruce Lee's rear end, but if they were similarly accomplished sword fighters would it have been a more even fight? would Bruce have stood a chance?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

a scrappy dude named titus manlius "necklace guy" has your answer

per wiki: In 361 BC, Titus Manlius fought in the army of Titus Quinctius Poenus Capitolinus Crispinus against the Gauls during the Battle of the Anio River. When a Gaul of enormous size and strength challenged the Romans to single combat, Manlius accepted the challenge with the approval of Poenus after the rest of the army had held back from responding for a long period of time. Despite being physically inferior, he killed the Gaul with blows to the belly and groin, after which he stripped the corpse of a torc and placed it around his own neck. From this, he gained the agnomen Torquatus, a title that was passed down also to his descendants.[4]

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 16:38 on Oct 14, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i refuse to believe his name was actually titus manlius

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

There was literally a roman emperor called Max Thrax.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Maximinius Thrax is the coolest loving name, and true to form he was a giant of a man.

Regarding Columbus, many spaniards had this naive paternalistic noble savage view of amerindians while at the same time having no qualms driving africans as beasts of burden. Wasnt it the position of one of the more famous indian sympathisers Bartolomeu de las Casas? Poor indians, lets bring some africans to do the ardous slave work instead thats what theyre built for.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Some Guy TT posted:

More like Titus Manletius.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lol im gonna say that in class

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Real hurthling! posted:

a scrappy dude named titus manlius "necklace guy" has your answer

per wiki: In 361 BC, Titus Manlius fought in the army of Titus Quinctius Poenus Capitolinus Crispinus against the Gauls during the Battle of the Anio River. When a Gaul of enormous size and strength challenged the Romans to single combat, Manlius accepted the challenge with the approval of Poenus after the rest of the army had held back from responding for a long period of time. Despite being physically inferior, he killed the Gaul with blows to the belly and groin, after which he stripped the corpse of a torc and placed it around his own neck. From this, he gained the agnomen Torquatus, a title that was passed down also to his descendants.[4]

I love that a bunch of Roman agnomens (agnomenii?) are essentially the first century BC equivalent of Italian mob nicknames. "EEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYY get a load-a Mr. 'Wears A Torq Guy' we got here!"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mucius, the guy who got caught trying to assassinate the etruscan king, lars porsenna, bluffed him into thinking that there were a hundred roman assassins coming for him by burning off his own right hand in front of him to show his resolve. when porsenna sent him home the romans called him mucius scaevola ("lefty")

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

mycomancy posted:

I love that a bunch of Roman agnomens (agnomenii?) are essentially the first century BC equivalent of Italian mob nicknames. "EEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYY get a load-a Mr. 'Wears A Torq Guy' we got here!"

you need something to set you apart after about ten straight generations of Gaiuses in your family, also everyone else's family

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

there are only 13 common given names for roman men for a couple hundred year stretch.
there were like 19 total first names lmao.

with the nicknames you just gotta hope nobody in your family is deformed or you end up like the cicero's forever branded as the "garbanzo bean" family cause one guy had a big wart.

another issue with the names is that the main way that republican era romans had to say what year it was was to list the 2 consuls of that year in an ablative construction like "when marcus so and so and lucius so and so were consuls" which becomes frickin impossible to keep track of sometimes.
livy liked using x years from the expulsion of the kings (i.e. from 509bce) in his ab urbe condita and much later years auc (from 753bce) gained popularity

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 00:52 on Oct 15, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manley_Power

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Real hurthling! posted:

there are only 13 common given names for roman men for a couple hundred year stretch.
there were like 19 total first names lmao.

with the nicknames you just gotta hope nobody in your family is deformed or you end up like the cicero's forever branded as the "garbanzo bean" family cause one guy had a big wart.

another issue with the names is that the main way that republican era romans had to say what year it was was to list the 2 consuls of that year in an ablative construction like "when marcus so and so and lucius so and so were consuls" which becomes frickin impossible to keep track of sometimes.
livy liked using x years from the expulsion of the kings (i.e. from 509bce) in his ab urbe condita and much later years auc (from 753bce) gained popularity

It did give us the fantastic roman joke that the events of Caesar's first consulship occurred during the year of Julius and Caesar when his co-consul Marcus Calpurnius Bibulus did nothing out of protest of Caesar's methods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i remember hearing once that upper body strength for stuff like swords is very overrated since theyre not that heavy and the stabby part is the dangerous part whereas upper body strength is super important for bows because their killing power relies much more heavily on how far back you can draw the bow

this is in the context of the irony of swords being boy weapons and bows being girl weapons in pop culture but i dont have any idea how true that actually is