Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
:confused: variable rate aka adjustable rate mortgages exist in the US. they're usually given to folks who can't secure a fixed rate mortgage, and were a major contributor to the housing crisis in the late aughts. they've greatly lost popularity because fixed rates are so incredibly cheap now there's no upside to an ARM, only downside

i think they're just not as popular because most people would prefer a predictable monthly payment then having to play budget wizard all the time to minmax their finances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Variable rate is the default here, and options to fix the rate are usually 1, 2 or maybe 5 years. I don't know if it's genuinely better or worse but it's certainly not considered a sign of financial imprudence. Usually when determining if you can afford a mortgage, you're encouraged to factor in 2% rate rises, which is about how much you could expect in 5 years for a relatively stable economy. But yes, rates are rock bottom now so you can get a mortgage with a 2-3% rate or lock it in for a few years for probably another 15-50 basis points above that.

Sorry about the non-tech derail (fin tech maybe?).

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Variable rate is the default here, and options to fix the rate are usually 1, 2 or maybe 5 years. I don't know if it's genuinely better or worse but it's certainly not considered a sign of financial imprudence. Usually when determining if you can afford a mortgage, you're encouraged to factor in 2% rate rises, which is about how much you could expect in 5 years for a relatively stable economy. But yes, rates are rock bottom now so you can get a mortgage with a 2-3% rate or lock it in for a few years for probably another 15-50 basis points above that.

Sorry about the non-tech derail (fin tech maybe?).

Why would you want to take a fixed rate 30 year loan at 3.37% when you can take a 5/1 ARM at 3.91%? 30 year fixed rate is the norm here and the only way I could see wanting an ARM is if you were trying to get a mortgage back when we had insanely high interest rates.

Anyways this has nothing to do with trying to apply market pressures on home energy users when what we should be doing is trying to avoid market pressures on home energy use as much as possible.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/GovParsonMO/status/1448644245783339020?s=20

Missouri's governor is holding a press conference vowing to hold those responsible who "hacked" one of their apps.

The hack? Right clicking on the page and viewing the source. Yup. It was all out there in the open to begin with.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Sounds like the governor needs mo' education

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

CommieGIR posted:

https://twitter.com/GovParsonMO/status/1448644245783339020?s=20

Missouri's governor is holding a press conference vowing to hold those responsible who "hacked" one of their apps.

The hack? Right clicking on the page and viewing the source. Yup. It was all out there in the open to begin with.

https://twitter.com/GovParsonMO/status/1448697768311132160

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Lol "Decoded the HTML" sounds like some technobabble you'd hear on TV.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
It sounds like this guy has to decode Facebook every time he posts an update to his wall. Police should investigate him for making a false complaint and abusing public office.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

karthun posted:

Anyways this has nothing to do with trying to apply market pressures on home energy users when what we should be doing is trying to avoid market pressures on home energy use as much as possible.

I think it depends on how the market is regulated to avoid consumers being at the whim of price gouging by for-profit utilities, or being a genuine measure to avoid adverse conditions on the energy supply.

In Queensland you can get a rebate on your air conditioner if you opt-in to a program that will reduce your air-conditioner output during peak load events: https://www.energex.com.au/home/control-your-energy/cashback-rewards-program/cashback-rewards-for-households/air-conditioning-rewards

Note that it's opt-in and rewards based, not putting consumers at the whim of a distorted wholesale energy pricing market.

So back to tech nightmares, this is what I see as a possible use for internet connected appliances - "oh I can score fifty bonus points if I don't use my air-conditioner between 4 and 6 pm today".

But yeah, it will result in having to continually accept cookies, updates, and do konami code style resets, before I can start a cycle in my washing machine.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Capt.Whorebags posted:

So back to tech nightmares, this is what I see as a possible use for internet connected appliances - "oh I can score fifty bonus points if I don't use my air-conditioner between 4 and 6 pm today".

Peak load shedding rebates from the poco on AC units has been a thing for decades, does not require the internet.

Next suggestion?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I think a fundamental problem with putting software on everything is that software just isn't fire and forget the way hardware is. If I get a regular fridge, the manufacturer, outside the occasional warranty case, doesn't need to do much about it anymore. It'll keep working until the components fail, perhaps for more than a decade.

If the fridge includes a bunch of software, are they going to make security updates for as long as it runs (or ever)? Nope. If there's an app, are they going to keep updating it so it works with phone operating systems in 2030? Nope.

Of course if people still buy it's all the same to them. They don't care if your toaster is part of a botnet, and the software turning obsolete is desirable if anything because it functions as planned (or at least convenient) early obsolescence. See the way televisions can just gradually deteriorate in functionality as the software rots, long before the hardware is obsolete or broken.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
"Oops I exposed my fridge/oven on the internet and some kid hit it with Shodan and found it, and now it keeps turning on/off at random."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Elukka posted:

See the way televisions can just gradually deteriorate in functionality as the software rots, long before the hardware is obsolete or broken.

Sony has solved this by making horrible image artefacts appear at about the same time the software stopped getting updates. :thumbsup:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I suppose right clicking and then selecting something does count as a "multi-step process."

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I suppose right clicking and then selecting something does count as a "multi-step process."

This is what they're going to charge NFT thieves with.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Detective No. 27 posted:

Two steps:

1. Hold control key

2. Tap “U” key

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Motronic posted:

Could you explain how? I'm just not sure how or why I would want to operate an appliance that I'm not physically in front of because like....it's an appliance. If I could use an app to put a pot on a stove, fill it, and turn on the burner that would be great. Just turning on the burner is not useful.

My apartment forced this onto us a few years ago and I gotta say: Theromostat from my bed is pretty cool. Wireless door locking/unlocking was useful for that one time my dad needed to come over and walk the dog.
But also getting to replace the remote for the TV with my phone is something I want.
Electric smoker on cold days, getting to turn it on/off check on the time without going out seems pretty nifty.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Capt.Whorebags posted:

I think it depends on how the market is regulated to avoid consumers being at the whim of price gouging by for-profit utilities, or being a genuine measure to avoid adverse conditions on the energy supply.

In Queensland you can get a rebate on your air conditioner if you opt-in to a program that will reduce your air-conditioner output during peak load events: https://www.energex.com.au/home/control-your-energy/cashback-rewards-program/cashback-rewards-for-households/air-conditioning-rewards

Note that it's opt-in and rewards based, not putting consumers at the whim of a distorted wholesale energy pricing market.

But yeah, it will result in having to continually accept cookies, updates, and do konami code style resets, before I can start a cycle in my washing machine.

Peak load shedding does not require a internet connected smart thermostat and has been around sense the 1970's in the US, don't know about Australia.

Anyways you were the one talking about the "advancement of spot pricing in domestic electricity market, and the integration of home power generation with consumption and pricing signals."

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Elukka posted:

I think a fundamental problem with putting software on everything is that software just isn't fire and forget the way hardware is. If I get a regular fridge, the manufacturer, outside the occasional warranty case, doesn't need to do much about it anymore. It'll keep working until the components fail, perhaps for more than a decade.

If the fridge includes a bunch of software, are they going to make security updates for as long as it runs (or ever)? Nope. If there's an app, are they going to keep updating it so it works with phone operating systems in 2030? Nope.

Of course if people still buy it's all the same to them. They don't care if your toaster is part of a botnet, and the software turning obsolete is desirable if anything because it functions as planned (or at least convenient) early obsolescence. See the way televisions can just gradually deteriorate in functionality as the software rots, long before the hardware is obsolete or broken.

Much of the microcontroller code is fire and forget and it doesn't really matter if there is a vulnerability because you need physical access to the board to compromise it. Pretty much everything is controlled via microcontrollers for the last 20 years. Its the new "smart" features that requires internet access to use that give problems. The security updates wont be fixed and the phone app will stop being updated. Best to never connect it to the internet.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Yes that's right, I was/am.

Peak load shedding as it has existed since the 70s requires dedicated circuits connected to ripple receivers and offers very little in flexibility - here it's called controlled load, there's a couple of profiles, and the frequency injection unit controls whole areas, not individual feeders or in some cases not even individual sub stations (the FI plant that controls my house is at the transmission sub station and does the whole town). The regulations also require that appliances on controlled load are hardwired in, so ripple receivers on standard appliances aren't available.

Spot pricing may appeal to some consumers, and it must do because we're seeing more and more retailers offering packages that have some spot pricing feature although not the wholesale spot pricing. There can be a middle ground between the retail rate of $0.25c kw/h no matter what the time or conditions, and the $14.50 kw/h which represents the legislated wholesale maximum spot price.

But yeah, gotta let people crank that AC and cool the house to 18c, no matter the cost. Just ask everyone to spend more on grid upgrades for those 8 peak hours per year, because heaven forbid the consumer actually have to sweat a little. Or you know, go for rolling black-outs as preferable to any measure that passes on some semblance of generation or distribution cost.

Again, and let me stress what I'm saying, it should be opt-in for people who have the technology and actual interest in having some flexibility in consumption - particularly for flexible loads like pool pumps, air conditioners, hell even fridges can operate at lower power for a couple of hours. The flexibility and ability on a per household or per device basis just isn't available with existing frequency injection ripple controllers, at least not where I am.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Isn't it just pressing F12

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Chronojam posted:

Yes.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Chronojam posted:

Forwarded to tips@fbi.gov

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

karthun posted:

Most modern programmable thermostats can automatically keep the temp in a temp range and will heat and cool when needed. No smart features needed.

Mine can in theory, but in practice it's quite poo poo at it and it can't quantify the fact that 18 is okay for a short while when it's going to heat up that day, but it's not okay in general.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
He doubled down. He really did

https://twitter.com/GovParsonMO/status/1448750830857904129?t=7XrYo2xPjClL5HyLLr4I7A&s=19

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I have information on the DESE hack. Yeah, your mom accessed DESE NUTS.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Elukka posted:

This is a great point.

Software updates are loving constant and have a way of eventually crippling the devices they're designed to run on because the speed of software innovation outpaces the hardware on whatever it is you're using.

Also, what are everyone's thoughts on the telehealth thing? NPR did a segment on it today and it seems most people would still much prefer to actually visit a doctor, myself included, especially if it's something more than just having a sore throat or some poo poo. I'm afraid it will become the new norm and I worry about older people who need doctors the most who may not be up to speed on the smart phone video calls and poo poo. I bet it's a loving nightmare for them when just having to visit a doctor in the first place for whatever ails them probably already sucks poo poo.

It will likely cut down on costs to providers but there's no way that patients will ever see any of that savings. I don't like it. Seeing my shrink or attending virtual AA meetings kind of defeat the point for me but I think that's where we're headed.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
I see a psychiatric nurse practitioner once every three months, because society decided that the drugs I need to function are basically the One Ring. Given that, it's substantially less disruptive to my life and work to be able to do a five minute phone call to make sure everything's still working okay, versus taking two or three hours off of work to do the same. Same deal with therapy, for me-- it's definitely not for everyone but a video call works fine for my purposes.

Absolutely there will be pressure to use telemedicine for patients or appointment types it's not suited for, but it's nice to have the option.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

BiggerBoat posted:

This is a great point.

Software updates are loving constant and have a way of eventually crippling the devices they're designed to run on because the speed of software innovation outpaces the hardware on whatever it is you're using.

Also, what are everyone's thoughts on the telehealth thing? NPR did a segment on it today and it seems most people would still much prefer to actually visit a doctor, myself included, especially if it's something more than just having a sore throat or some poo poo. I'm afraid it will become the new norm and I worry about older people who need doctors the most who may not be up to speed on the smart phone video calls and poo poo. I bet it's a loving nightmare for them when just having to visit a doctor in the first place for whatever ails them probably already sucks poo poo.

It will likely cut down on costs to providers but there's no way that patients will ever see any of that savings. I don't like it. Seeing my shrink or attending virtual AA meetings kind of defeat the point for me but I think that's where we're headed.

I certainly don't want it as my only option, but within my circle I've only heard good things. I appreciate that I can describe symptoms to a doctor and get some treatment suggestions, and my last doctor had a great asynchronous set up so I didn't even need to set aside time for an appointment. My wife really appreciates renewing prescriptions over a call rather than an office visit. Plus, the landscape has changed a ton in the 10 years I've had access to telehealth, and the web portals/conferencing platforms have gotten way more robust on the client side. I could probably see your point if we were still in the age of downloading some random Cisco package to IM with your doctor, but that's just not the case anymore.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

so whats really going on with the Missouri thing

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Basically: Someone greenlit a badly designed webpage where you are able to extract teachers social security numbers from the page by viewing the source HTML. A reporter discovered this and alerted the government before writing an article about. The governor is now attacking the reporter as a hacker and that the reporter "hacked" the webpage to view the data.

It's wholly untrue and just shows the governor is both maliciously bent on attacking the reporter and grossly uninformed in cybersecurity.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I'm betting there was a Base64 encoded value in the source that some JS decoded into JSON to pull out and populate the form fields of the info that was meant to be seen, without bothering to cleanup the original data. So many non-technical people conflate "encoded" with "encrypted" and think that putting anything into b64 means it's safely obfuscated.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

the really embarrassing part is when the governor claimed that the journalist illegally accessed the source code, using browser dev tools that exist in every browser to access the code which is downloaded by the browser to render the web page because, uh, thats how the internet works - you dial up a server and it sends you code which your browser reassembles on your device into a human readable chunk of internet

the nerdy embarrassing part is that for some reason, people's social security numbers are included in this code in an easily decrypted format or are otherwise easily gotten. it is a massive security hole and instead of taking responsibility, the missouri state government is blaming the journalist who discovered this for 'hacking' which is absurd - its a bit like someone noticing that the window to the bank vault is left open, so you tell the manager to close it because anyone could reach inside to steal money and the bank manager accuses you of being a bank robber

the newspaper who discovered this flaw didn't publish the details, because that would be irresponsible, but did say that similar flaws are well known in similar applications so it looks like the missouri state government is just making GBS threads their own pants here and blaming others for noticing the stink

e: there's a copy of the landing page on the wayback machine and there isn't anything on the page at first glance (but its an ASP using table formatting which is... extremely, cringingly basic) so i'm guessing that something is included in the form response and you can scrape it somehow

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 15, 2021

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Yes that's right, I was/am.

Peak load shedding as it has existed since the 70s requires dedicated circuits connected to ripple receivers and offers very little in flexibility - here it's called controlled load, there's a couple of profiles, and the frequency injection unit controls whole areas, not individual feeders or in some cases not even individual sub stations (the FI plant that controls my house is at the transmission sub station and does the whole town). The regulations also require that appliances on controlled load are hardwired in, so ripple receivers on standard appliances aren't available.

Spot pricing may appeal to some consumers, and it must do because we're seeing more and more retailers offering packages that have some spot pricing feature although not the wholesale spot pricing. There can be a middle ground between the retail rate of $0.25c kw/h no matter what the time or conditions, and the $14.50 kw/h which represents the legislated wholesale maximum spot price.

But yeah, gotta let people crank that AC and cool the house to 18c, no matter the cost. Just ask everyone to spend more on grid upgrades for those 8 peak hours per year, because heaven forbid the consumer actually have to sweat a little. Or you know, go for rolling black-outs as preferable to any measure that passes on some semblance of generation or distribution cost.

Again, and let me stress what I'm saying, it should be opt-in for people who have the technology and actual interest in having some flexibility in consumption - particularly for flexible loads like pool pumps, air conditioners, hell even fridges can operate at lower power for a couple of hours. The flexibility and ability on a per household or per device basis just isn't available with existing frequency injection ripple controllers, at least not where I am.

Again, you don't need to have cloud connected smart thermostats to have the electric company remotely turnoff AC and water heaters on high demand days. I have an old Northern States Power power save switch from the early/mid 90's on my AC that will turn it off during high demand usage. NSP was merged into Xcel in 1998. These systems still work.

I don't think you understand the issue because those 8 peak hours per year people don't sweat a little, they freeze a lot because its -40 out. These are the situations where I do not want market forces determining who lives and dies. All effort should be on the power and gas companies to provide all the electricity and gas to the home user because people will loving die if they don't.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's literally just full on boomer brain that should be familiar with anyone who has had to share a computer and gets blamed for literally everything that goes wrong or might go wrong with it despite being the most responsible person in the house.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

karthun posted:

All effort should be on the power and gas companies to provide all the electricity and gas to the home user because people will loving die if they don't.

Well, yeah, but you're going to have to stop voting for retards and actually elect a government that will properly regulate your energy markets if you've got any hope of that happening.

e: I also do understand the issue, but because we don't have -40 degrees (celsius or farenheit) days here, some technologies could be more or less useful. The world is not one homogenous blob.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Capt.Whorebags fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 16, 2021

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Well, yeah, but you're going to have to stop voting for retards and actually elect a government that will properly regulate your energy markets if you've got any hope of that happening.

e: I also do understand the issue, but because we don't have -40 degrees (celsius or farenheit) days here, some technologies could be more or less useful. The world is not one homogenous blob.

So take the technology of an internet connected thermostat, what use does this provide? It can't be for peak load shedding, that technology already exists and works on my 25 year old AC. It can't be for market based pricing because market base pricing is not useful and even regulated markets are harmful to the consumer.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

karthun posted:

So take the technology of an internet connected thermostat, what use does this provide? It can't be for peak load shedding, that technology already exists and works on my 25 year old AC. It can't be for market based pricing because market base pricing is not useful and even regulated markets are harmful to the consumer.

Well I had a related conversation with my neighbour on this last week when he complained about solar feed in tariffs being so low now (about 7c). I said he should try and use all of his local generation rather than export to the grid, and one way to do this was to run his A/C from midday to 4pm and getting the house cold, rather than trying to take the heat out of the place later when he'd have to import power from the grid at 27c kw/h. Trivial for him as he's a retiree and is home to do it, but if he was at work it would be handy to have it happen automatically.

Now if his retailer was offering an incentive (really cheap power) at some time of the day as there is surplus capacity, then it would be great if he had some automated way to take advantage of this. Maybe by setting cost bands where he's happy to import power, bands where he'd want to export power. Throw in a battery system and do arbitrage if that's his thing.

ideally this would be through something other than individually configured cloud based services, I don't know, some kind of management device at home. Smart meters are supposed to be able to do some of this but they got co-opted by the anti-5G, vaccines are microchipped, smart meters are the tool of the devil crowd.

And then if someone else doesn't want any of this and just wants to pay a flat rate, 24x7, to keep their house warm/cool or mine bitcoins, they should have access to a default tariff to do so.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Well I had a related conversation with my neighbour on this last week when he complained about solar feed in tariffs being so low now (about 7c). I said he should try and use all of his local generation rather than export to the grid, and one way to do this was to run his A/C from midday to 4pm and getting the house cold, rather than trying to take the heat out of the place later when he'd have to import power from the grid at 27c kw/h. Trivial for him as he's a retiree and is home to do it, but if he was at work it would be handy to have it happen automatically.

Now if his retailer was offering an incentive (really cheap power) at some time of the day as there is surplus capacity, then it would be great if he had some automated way to take advantage of this. Maybe by setting cost bands where he's happy to import power, bands where he'd want to export power. Throw in a battery system and do arbitrage if that's his thing.

ideally this would be through something other than individually configured cloud based services, I don't know, some kind of management device at home. Smart meters are supposed to be able to do some of this but they got co-opted by the anti-5G, vaccines are microchipped, smart meters are the tool of the devil crowd.

And then if someone else doesn't want any of this and just wants to pay a flat rate, 24x7, to keep their house warm/cool or mine bitcoins, they should have access to a default tariff to do so.

And what happens when, not if, that management device becomes misconfigured because the homeowner had to override the settings to solve a specific issue? Customer ends up with a surprise bill because the system hosed up and didn't do what the customer wanted. You might say that's the risk that people take, but I'm opposed to allowing consumers to make that mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

karthun posted:

And what happens when, not if, that management device becomes misconfigured because the homeowner had to override the settings to solve a specific issue? Customer ends up with a surprise bill because the system hosed up and didn't do what the customer wanted. You might say that's the risk that people take, but I'm opposed to allowing consumers to make that mistake.

I would like to see that the customer is offered incentives, not penalties, so the worst that can happen is that they miss an incentive but are otherwise no worse off.

But yes, I get your point. My preference is that interested people can opt in but reality is that some shady company will cold call the elderly and sign them up for plans they have no chance of comprehending.

And I fully agree that the cloud based "thermostat as a service" sucks balls because inevitably the service goes out of business, gets hacked, or stops supporting your thermostat without upgrading to a premium plan.