Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

This may not be the best thread but I’ll ask.

Shin Megami Tensei V comes out soon. I’ve never played one, but I loved Persona 5 and 4.

Would I enjoy SMT? How is it similar or different to the Persona series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You probably already know that Persona is a spinoff of SMT. The common thread between the two series is generally some form of intersection between technology and the supernatural/demons/what-have-you. They share demon designs because Atlus has always been thrifty like that.

SMT uses a different combat system called "Press Turn" where you gain turns by hitting weaknesses and lose them by missing or getting nullified. A lot of people prefer this system because Persona's "One More" System doesn't interact well with boss fights. Instead of summoning a Persona, you have three demons who fight alongside your protagonist that can be swapped out for other demons. In SMTIV you could eventually amass a quite large reserve of demons and I expect V will be similar in that regard. Fusion is generally a little more annoying to figure out and instead of Persona Arcanas you have demon Races, but it all works about the same.

SMT leans much more towards just having a kind of weird vibe than having a big story or lots of characters like in Persona, but V's trailers have been emphasizing the story so maybe that'll change. The SMT games don't generally have very involved or complex stories in my opinion, but their worlds are really interesting and they can be much more of a challenge than Persona.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Shin Megami Tensei V comes out soon. I’ve never played one, but I loved Persona 5 and 4.

I guess it depends what you love Persona for. If you want lots of dialogue and interactions with characters, SMT isn't really for you outside of Devil Survivor 1 and 2, and maybe SMTIV Apocalypse. They're not exactly dungeon crawlers but the plots are minimal and character development sparse. There's almost certainly more dialogue in the first couple hours of Persona 4 and 5 than for dozens of hours in SMT Nocturne for example.

Press Turn is a lot more involved than One More because the PC in Persona is the best at everything ever and does everything ever for half the game. In SMT you need a whole team, each pulling their weight and supplying a vital part of a strategy. So in Persona 4 for example Yu will have all the buffs and debuffs and also do the most damage. In SMT, you bot a buffer, a healer, etc.. Everyone is equally valuable based on how you fuse and create them. More details would probably be spoilery.

But yeah, I always suggest SMTIV Apocalypse or Devil Survivor as the "bridge" between Nu Persona an SMT because they have a lot more dialogue and emphasis on party relationships.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Solaris 2.0 posted:

First of all, there's none of the social or time management aspects of modern Persona in the mainline SMT games, so if that's what you're looking for, you're not going to find it in SMT. SMT leans more heavily into atmosphere and a more minimalist method of storytelling.

If you enjoy the combat and Persona building/fusion aspects in Persona, SMT has that in spades. The One More combat system in Persona is a somewhat simplified version of the Press Turn system from mainline SMT, as others have already said, and you get to have three demon Pokemon as your party members, with potentially a secondary character as a "guest" if 5 draws off that aspect of 4/4A's battle system.

I'd suggest checking out Nocturne to give yourself an idea of whether or not you'll be interested in 5 - 5 at least superficially seems to be drawing inspiration from it - but the HD Remaster doesn't seem to have a demo available.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Alternatively if you already have a Switch you might want to try Fire Emblem Three Houses. Kind of like Persona meets XCOM although it is of course very different to both of those games.

It's set in a medieval fantasy high school instead of a modern Japanese high school, there's time and relationship management mechanics, and your squad members have social interactions with each other and not just with you. Also for the most part everybody is there from day one, so you don't have situations like Haru turning up in the third act.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

SMT is Persona without any of the fun stuff.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

Sapozhnik posted:

Alternatively if you already have a Switch you might want to try Fire Emblem Three Houses. Kind of like Persona meets XCOM although it is of course very different to both of those games.

It's set in a medieval fantasy high school instead of a modern Japanese high school, there's time and relationship management mechanics, and your squad members have social interactions with each other and not just with you. Also for the most part everybody is there from day one, so you don't have situations like Haru turning up in the third act.

They also remastered Tokyo Mirage Sessions for switch which is essentially the combat system, spells, and item names. The personas are all Fire Emblem characters, and instead of the 'all out attack' sort of system hitting an enemy's weak point can trigger follow up attacks from your group members. I *think* it has a similar social S-link thing going on? I didn't get super far into it.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

I actually borrowed FE: 3 Houses from a friend who is obsessed with It.

I thought it was…fine? I put 65 hours into the Blue Lions campaign. The gameplay is pretty fun but the social stuff felt like fluff, honestly. Or at least, it didn’t feel as natural as it does in Persona 4/5. That said, the tea time mini-game owns.

While I enjoyed the 65 hours I put into it, I also discovered I don’t think I enjoyed it enough to play a different campaign.

I’ll admit my favorite things about Persona are the writing, characters, and social stuff so for SMT V I guess I’ll keep an eye on it and see what others think.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Concept: SMT game with tea minigame from Three Houses.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I haven't played SMTIV but the trailers for SMTV already have way more characterization and dialogue than the sum total of SMT III Nocturne lol

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Tokyo Mirage Sessions is almost literally Persona 4.5. If you like Persona and own a Switch (or god forbid, a Wii U) there’s absolutely no reason not to check it out

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I got into Persona with 5 and picked up Nocturne and have enjoyed what I played. I’m very excited now for SMT5, the atmosphere in SMT games is I think even better than Persona 5, which has a more varied tone, even during my few hours of 1 the atmosphere is notable, which is really impressive for a SNES game. (Of note: I also am obsessed with 3 Houses but I had not played P5 when I played it so it might just have been the novelty, although I do think the character roster in FE3H is better)

I think you can find Nocturne on sale fairly regularly if you want to try it out.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The Okinawa Jail in Strikers is the closest I think post-2 Persona has ever gotten to mainline SMT, which is why the Okinawa Jail is the best.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scrap Dragon posted:

Tokyo Mirage Sessions is almost literally Persona 4.5. If you like Persona and own a Switch (or god forbid, a Wii U) there’s absolutely no reason not to check it out

More like Persona 4 -.5 tbh.

It's fine and I've heard the remake improves some stuff but the story and characters don't really have much going on either and I doubt it improved those.

Twelve by Pies posted:

The Okinawa Jail in Strikers is the closest I think post-2 Persona has ever gotten to mainline SMT, which is why the Okinawa Jail is the best.

3 did still have some lingering trappings of SMT imo.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Funky Valentine posted:

Concept: SMT game with tea minigame from Three Houses.

Isn't that just demon negotiation without the potential violent consequences

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I haven't played enough of Three Houses to get to the tea minigame yet, but that kind of sounds like Devil Survivor, especially 2 where you could recruit characters that went off on one of the other paths you didn't take in the endgame.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Shoji Meguro just left Atlus, though it sounds like he'll still compose for them in the future.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

:(

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Arist posted:

Shoji Meguro just left Atlus, though it sounds like he'll still compose for them in the future.

I hope he left just to make sick as hell acid jazz tracks for the rest of his days. Like, I have recommended P5’s OST to jazz nerds I know that don’t even really play video games and have received positive feedback for the recommendation.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think it's anything to panic over, honestly. Atsushi Kitajoh is still there and he's a great composer in his own right, and while Meguro may be vital to the soul of modern Persona, I'm sure Atlus will probably get him to do some independent work for them on any future entries. Maybe not quite as much work, though I'd be surprised if he doesn't work on 6 in some capacity. Also, Strikers didn't have Meguro on it at all to my recollection and it had a fantastic soundtrack. If anything, that game proved that there's a lot of great talent capable of working in Meguro's mold.

e: There's also the obvious conclusion I neglected to mention that this is almost certainly what's best for Meguro himself.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Strikers has Meguro listed as the Sound Director, but the composers were Atsushi Kitajoh, Gota Masuoka, and Ayana Hira.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The Striker's OST is every bit as good as Royal's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaCjr6MyOU0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipfwIKSJ7vE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GByQlqOzJxM

Just a random list of some of my favorites that I can remember from the top of my head.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Strikers in fact has a better OST than Royal, as it not only contains nearly every great song from Royal, it also contains a fantastic P1R battle theme remix, new amazing tracks like the Okinawa and Kyoto Jails, and even has better versions of Blooming Villain/Keeper of Lust than Royal.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I started Persona Q2 and the theme song for that game slaps

https://youtu.be/v-x_nuq4AXw

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 28, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Please support Sophia's Shop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef9SesWXmRY

DC Murderverse posted:

I started Persona Q2 and the theme song for that game slaps

https://youtu.be/v-x_nuq4AXw

This song made FemC canon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5O_jq1CSv0

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Arist posted:

This is a little depressing, but not necessarily horrible. All the Persona games have had different approaches to music and genres, so here's hoping that P6's techno or whatever will be decent.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

cant wait for P6 to be like. full on prog metal or whatever

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

What I want: full house soundtrack
What I’ll accept: full early 2010s EDM soundtrack
What we’ll get: 50 songs that sound like Cotton-Eye Joe

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I am thou, though art I... [banjo twang]

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
One more god rejected [accordion polka riff]

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Persona 6, the first game to have an all-western swing soundtrack.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Persona 6, the first game to have an all-western swing soundtrack.

Electro swing.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
How recommended is it to play Persona 4 before 5? Will 5 ruin 4 for me, making it hard to go back?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I played 4 after 5 and it was perfectly fine combat wise. It helped that the non-battle aspects I usually enjoyed more, but it’s not that much of a step back where it’s just a more basic version of 5’s combat system.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It might be mildly rough going back to a world with no Baton Pass and less extensive benefits for socializing, but it shouldn't be too hard to get used to 4 after 5.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I think my main problem with Persona 4 after playing 5 was the procedural dungeons. They are infinitely less interesting than even the worse dungeon in Persona 5. I remember using CheatEngine's speed hack to just zip through them.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, the more simplistic dungeons and battle mechanics with less features in 4 might make it less pleasurable to play if you do 5 before it.

I played both games this year and they might be my top two, but I'm also happy I played 4 first.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Hiro Protagonist posted:

How recommended is it to play Persona 4 before 5? Will 5 ruin 4 for me, making it hard to go back?

I played 4 immediately after finishing 5 earlier this year and very much enjoyed it. The only issues are.

1) As others said the mementos-like dungeons are far less interesting. It's just running down random corridors.
2) The monster designs are not nearly as interesting imo
3) You are going to miss QOL improvements like Baton Pass, and the use of Gun weapons
3) There is a lot less "side stuff" to do in Inaba (be prepared to eat at the same Chinese restaurant over and over again) but, to be fair, you're supposed to be character from a big city stuck in a rural town with nothing to do so it adds to the atmosphere.
4) Teddy is.....uggg.....

Otherwise its still Persona. Expect an amazing story, awesome characters and writing, Music, and Persona magic system that makes these games so fun and unique.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

bobjr posted:

I played 4 after 5 and it was perfectly fine combat wise. It helped that the non-battle aspects I usually enjoyed more, but it’s not that much of a step back where it’s just a more basic version of 5’s combat system.

I think the QOL jump between 5 and 5R is at least as big as between 4G and 5. The baton passes actually work properly in 5R in that you aren't locked out of them most of the time because your newest party member (and the one half the shadows are weak to in this dungeon) can't baton pass. More important is the change to Mementos combined with the change to the Chariot's instakill works to change the P4G-like procedural dungeons (which in base P5 all use the same tileset but P5R have a different one for each zone) into a gleeful vehicular homicide spree while looking for secret walls to break through and occasionally going shopping mid-delve. And it's the changes to Mementos that were important because I think everyone agrees that base P5 was the worst part of P5.

If you liked P5 and were fine with Mementos and grinding then you'll be fine with P4G. If, on the other hand you played P5R you might find the dungeon exploration and crawling a serious drag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

What I want: full house soundtrack

P6 will have identical twins pretending to be a single person and the mascot character will be a woodchuck.