Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Drakkel posted:

Why would you mocap a fish? Were people clamoring for the most lifelike fish animation possible in this spaceship game?

call of duty had just shown off a video that had advanced fish technology (not mocap) and he had to one-up them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Drakkel posted:

Why would you mocap a fish? Were people clamoring for the most lifelike fish animation possible in this spaceship game?

I'm a simple man. I see fish tech, I buy an Idris.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

trucutru posted:

Dude, unless you happen to be a Martian I've got news for ya.

Next you'll be telling me Dr. Dre doesn't have a PHD or MD...

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MerryPlushFurseal-mobile.mp4

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Drakkel posted:

To have the Best drat Space Fish Ever for the weeds and other fish and poo poo in the tank to clip through, in other words fiDeliTY

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WaryViciousAffenpinscher-mobile.mp4

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
When CIG motion captures the fish, I hope they make sure they are topless so they can be sure to get the proper fin jiggle physics down.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Drakkel posted:

obviously for the exotic fish trader gameplay loop. Those fish tanks aren’t going to fill themselves.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

You talk to the exotic animal salesman in microtech and sign up to buy a rare fish. An order goes out for someone to catch the rare fish and they go do that. They go to planet Oceanbase (named after Milligan "Shark" Oceanbase, the general who accidentally discovered the planet. theres also an ocean base that was established there in 2288) and engage in a thrilling minigame in which they try to catch the specific fish (there are no industrial fish hatcheries in the 'verse) once that's done they have another player load the single fish into a cargo ship equipped with aquatic containers and temperature regulation. once back on microtech the fish cargo is manually unloaded and taken to the fish store. the exotic fish store then notifies you but if you take too long they may sell the fish to someone else

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

That isn't from CIG is it? That has to be a joke right?

It's a photo I found about new motion capture technology being pioneered by the University of Bath in the UK.

https://newatlas.com/computers/motion-capture-animals-no-suit-single-camera/

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

William Bear posted:

It's a photo I found about new motion capture technology being pioneered by the University of Bath in the UK.

That’s the reason why Chris moved back to the UK. SQ404 will have mocapped dogs (that you can’t pet).

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

Drakkel posted:

Because Star Citizen will have the entire game of Subnautica in a single crater on the planet Oceantech, obviously.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

William Bear posted:

what a crappy article i thought the video in it was gonnna take that beautiful dog and digitize it tron style and insert it into the server to catch squirrel viruses

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

This is not real, they are using the virtual doggo from the motion capture to fool you. FAKE!

Ominous Woosh
Jan 9, 2019
https://massivelyop.com/2021/10/13/former-uk-star-citizen-player-outlines-the-steps-he-took-to-get-a-refund-from-cig/

Blober's already on the case I see.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
That actually does sound fun. This would be a really good metagame if they would stop engineering the fun out of it

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Joe Blobbers is Bizzaro Derek Smart and probably even has a reverse DS emblazoned on a shield on his chest when he answers the call

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

That actually does sound fun. This would be a really good metagame if they would stop engineering the fun out of it

date rape simulator, why did no one think of this before?

it's the perfect audience for it too

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Yeah, inject them with drugs, drag them to your ship, remove their skeletons and force them into servitude.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Just another day in the 4th Stimpire.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

akkristor posted:

Yeah, inject them with drugs, drag them to your ship, remove their skeletons and force them into servitude.

#JustCitizenThings

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Ironically supply chain simulation theoretically exists in ED but in typical Frontier fashion the issue over there is that there is insufficient imagination to figure out what to do with that simulation.

Like you absolutely could have a space game where the space trucker layer influenced the combat and political layer. EVE had (has?) a semi functional version of that though it is propped up by EVEs unique player culture. It wouldn't be detailed of course; algorithms would check for things like "metals" or "supplies" as opposed to individual space boxes.

That would of course require like, a design, man.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Armor stripping from bodies is weird and should take more work posted:

There are like 42 clasps visible on the Infiltrator armor set. Chris knows how many velcro straps, zippers, and padlocks have to be removed to get the pants off.

It seems super odd that we can remove pressurized suits from downed bodies in an instant, and that they always fit our character. Why can a 4-foot tall, 100-lb violinist wear the same shoes as a 6-foot tall, 300 pound linebacker? It's weird, ya know?

IMO armor stripping should just be axed from bodies, leave armor as findable in chests and cabinets. At least then it can be considered lucky that we found an item that both fits our bodies and attaches up to the rest of our gear. Let flair and badges and loose items be looted, like helmets, pens, and mags makes sense. But the rest should require a cutter and 5 minutes of chopping up a body.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Mendrian posted:

Ironically supply chain simulation theoretically exists in ED but in typical Frontier fashion the issue over there is that there is insufficient imagination to figure out what to do with that simulation.

Like you absolutely could have a space game where the space trucker layer influenced the combat and political layer. EVE had (has?) a semi functional version of that though it is propped up by EVEs unique player culture. It wouldn't be detailed of course; algorithms would check for things like "metals" or "supplies" as opposed to individual space boxes.

That would of course require like, a design, man.

EVE very much has this. In the last war goons were loving with the opposition by cornering the market on ships and components in empire space while also interdicting mining and shipping operations and running market games on resources. They’re not the only ones either. Downstream wars make certain things more expensive for the rest of the game too - welping thousands of ships in null can drive the price of those ships up in hi sec, dozens of jumps away. SC will probably not have this.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

I can't believe it took me this long to get the "Joe Blobers" 'joke.' He's so bad at writing that it didn't even occur to me that he was trying to be funny with his username, I had to see whoever posts as Boe Jlobers in a comment thread to realize it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

It's actually an interesting question and touches on another question asked in another thread about why not release Star Citizen with just 3 or 4 star systems.

Chris likes to do things that no-one has done before, he doesn't like shortcut fakery, it's why people accuse him of being a perfectionist. It's a big part of what motivates him. As an example let's consider Render To Texture (RTT). Anyone outside knowing about 'standard' game development would scratch their head and say... Why develop this RTT system when you could just use pre-canned scripted sequences - especially for Squadron 42. If you watch the Squadron 42 vertical slice with directors commentary you will see he makes a point of saying that the communication between Captain White aboard the Stanton and Julian Wexler on the Archon Station is happening in real time, you could go and 'photobomb' Julian Wexler while he talks to Captain White if you wished**...??? What on Earth for! Why go to the trouble of developing a brand new system for a perfectly good game engine just to do that? Why render geometry and an animated NPC just to stream that 'live feed' to another player area if you could pre-record it? He does it several times in the vertical slice, you (the player) talk to Old Man Colton and the Starfarer pilot via RTT... and SAIC Trejo.

Now add that he was keen to get FOIP working way back 5 or 6 years ago in conjunction with RTT for player to player communications. Hardly any players use it, you need to set up a webcam... and even later it's doubtful the majority of players would use it if it weren't absolutely necessary... and it won't be. So why go the trouble to get FOIP into the game? I asked this question to a senior dev at CIG back in 2016, why do this? The only reason I could think to do this would be to allow live action 'actors' captured performance to be put into the game for 'live events'. Something no-one has ever done before in a single player campaign or an MMO... the only answer I got was a wry smile and a question.. "Would that be something people would like see do you think?"

Back to the question at hand and why it might pertain to how many star systems would be needed to call Star Citizen 'feature complete' for a live release. The lore and life of the game universe comes in no small part from the ARK which you can access via the mobiglas and ship screens etc, it is the permanent record of the universe, the font of all knowledge... without it a lot of the game's activity would have to be faked. Player activity is also recorded to the ARK once the universe simulation goes live - all your discoveries and scan data goes to the ARK who pay for that data. Without the ARK to store and disseminate that information there is no 'Living Breathing Persistent Universe'. Chris is not likely to accept fudging this as you can see from the RTT example above, in my opinion he just wouldn't settle for that. That means that he would consider it paramount to have the Tayac system in the game as soon as possible before a live persistent universe release because that is where the ARK is. Two jumps away through Terra from Stanton.

It's all interconnected, that is the whole point of Star Citizen, to be what no other game developer would ever have attempted. The Spectrum reflects this drive to 'realness'. From the time Star Citizen goes live time moves forward and history is written constantly in a dynamic ever-changing universe.
**This tells you something about Squadron 42. It is not 'event driven' the communication doesn't start because you walked into the briefing room, it would happen even if you weren't there because in Squadron 42 events happen according to a timeline, not according to what you do.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
There’s a quest in new world at level 40 titled “Answer the call”, would be funnier if they made it level 42.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
What I really enjoy in a video game is if I miss all the important story bits because the cutscene happened while my character was taking a poo poo somewhere else

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Trilobite posted:

I can't believe it took me this long to get the "Joe Blobers" 'joke.' He's so bad at writing that it didn't even occur to me that he was trying to be funny with his username, I had to see whoever posts as Boe Jlobers in a comment thread to realize it.

:vince:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Wait, what's the joke with his name? I'm serious, I don't get it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Wait, what's the joke with his name? I'm serious, I don't get it.

Blow jobbers.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mirificus posted:

Chris likes to do things that no-one has done before, he doesn't like shortcut fakery, it's why people accuse him of being a perfectionist. It's a big part of what motivates him. As an example let's consider Render To Texture (RTT). Anyone outside knowing about 'standard' game development would scratch their head and say...
…oh yeah, let's just use this pre-existing functionality since it's been built into every engine for the last decade and a half (well, most of them, except for pre-v5 CryEngine) since that would save a whole lot of time and not force us to maintain some brokebrained narrative that what we're doing is in any way knew, since only absolute numpties who haven't played anything newer than, oh, Conker's Bad Fur Day would even have a chance of believing that.

It's not like RTT were hugely advertised effects in idTech 4 (Doom 3) and Source (HL2), or anything, being showed off years before the games themselves were actually released.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Any doctorate, including PhDs, allow you to use Dr before your name.

FYI PhD (doctor of philosophy) doesn't mean you studied philosophy. It's the doctorate title for a large number of fields of study, mainly scientific.

It looks like Chad McKinney's PhD is in music informatics.

Ooooops, well I’m an idiot. I’ve been alive a long time and somehow have never seen or heard the actual term “philosophiae doctor”. I guess because Americans always say PhD or just doctorate. I’ve definitely never seen “Doctor of Philosophy” on a resume. Is that a British/European thing?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Ooooops, well I’m an idiot. I’ve been alive a long time and somehow have never seen or heard the actual term “philosophiae doctor”. I guess because Americans always say PhD or just doctorate. I’ve definitely never seen “Doctor of Philosophy” on a resume. Is that a British/European thing?

Isn’t RTT how they did all those Breen videos all over the city, or Barney on the security cam? That was pretty neat in 2006

e: Oops, random quote for no reason.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 15, 2021

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Trilobite posted:

Wait what's the joke?

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Isn’t RTT how they did all those Breen videos all over the city, or Barney on the security cam? That was pretty neat in 2006

Look man, I don’t even know what PhD stands for.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Yes. In those cases, you can always noclip out of the map and find the room where the monitor texture is being recorded with an RTT camera view object. You'll see similar techniques employed for creating cheap mirrors in a lot of simulators: have a second camera pointed backwards and feed that render to the mirror surfaces. This yields slightly weird parallax effects, and also a very 2D look if viewed in VR, since the point of view for those reflections is massively offset from where the “head” of the player is, but again, it's a cheap and easy and very common engine capability, so it gets used anyway — no-one is going to stare at the mirrors enough for it to be really noticeable anyway.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Trillhouse posted:

call of duty had just shown off a video that had advanced fish technology (not mocap) and he had to one-up them.

The CoD fish that people were laughing at and comparing to Super Mario 64 fish from -96? :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Bofast posted:

The CoD fish that people were laughing at and comparing to Super Mario 64 fish from -96? :D

Of course. 1996 is the most advanced gaming tech that Chris has any experience with, so of course his quality target will be to beat that level of complexity and quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

I'm afraid I have become Citizenpilled. After a decade of 'Ah! Well, Nevertheless' in this thread it is clear that Star Citizen's exit strategy was simply to wait for the world to recalibrate to its own level of brazen stupidity, and now that people are buying up jpegs of paperdoll animals for multi-ship prices, it's time to accept the fact that we lost this one and that all these wet, hyperventilating posts dedicated to Unmasking The Lies are just self-satisfied farts that dissipate invisibly in the wind of The Second 1980s before you can even get a good huff on them.