Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Woof. I helped pay for the food at a wedding that had the reception at a nice hotel in Georgetown, Washington D.C. and it was around $2,000 for around 50 people.

That was 10 years ago, though.

Did that include the venue though?

edit: It's been a while since we've talked about weddings!

I'm having a great day! Opens up old wedding budget spreadsheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Residency Evil posted:

Did that include the venue though?

edit: It's been a while since we've talked about weddings!

I'm having a great day! Opens up old wedding budget spreadsheet.

I don't remember, but based on the shocked reactions from people in this thread, I am going to guess that it did not.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Oh are we doing wedding chat? Our officiant was a cousin of mine (a raccoon), and the woodland creatures we had as ushers actually collected seeds and nuts for us to eat. We came out way ahead, would recommend.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
My favorite wedding I've been in recently was a friend who had the entire event in the local rec center, catered the rehearsal dinner with Little Caesar's Hot and Readies and had cheap beer on tap. That was someone who understood the value of a dollar.

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR

Bird in a Blender posted:

Absolutely no way you're paying only $41/plate at a wedding venue. I'm not sure you could got that cheap even 20 years ago. $125/plate doesn't seem outrageous depending on the venue. That is usually the entire cost, so that's paying for the food, service, venue, etc.

Yeah that's right - this was in Australia so labour costs are a big part of it. So $100 for food/venue/service, and $40-50 for a per-person drink package, depending on what spirits you needed. At least the drunken uncles from both families cleaned out all the whiskey from the venue's storeroom and their sister venue next door, despite us warning them to stock extra. GWM, BWL(liver)?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BonerGhost posted:

Oh are we doing wedding chat? Our officiant was a cousin of mine (a raccoon), and the woodland creatures we had as ushers actually collected seeds and nuts for us to eat. We came out way ahead, would recommend.

We found our officiant on Wedding Wire, where he had top reviews. He was part of the "Old Catholic Church," which is some sort of offshoot from the Catholic Church which 1) allows gays and 2) lets you get married outside, which my wife wanted. We figured we could fool my Real Catholic(TM) parents since he'd be saying a mass that was pretty much identical to a Catholic wedding, except it was outside. A few weeks before our wedding, he invited us to his house, where we met his girlfriend/fiancee, a nurse that was 20-30 years younger than him. Kind of odd, but ok.

A week before our wedding I googled him and found out that he spent time in federal prison for being part of his uncle's funeral home embezzlement scam, was later in the Navy, and then later got kicked out of the Catholic church/his teaching job at a local university for being gay.

Wedding was great! He did an awesome job and my parents loved him.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Medullah posted:

My favorite wedding I've been in recently was a friend who had the entire event in the local rec center, catered the rehearsal dinner with Little Caesar's Hot and Readies and had cheap beer on tap. That was someone who understood the value of a dollar.

I catered my wedding with bags of goop we bough from a nice fazollis lady. Bad Wedding Macaroni

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

A week before our wedding I googled him and found out that he spent time in federal prison for being part of his uncle's funeral home embezzlement scam, was later in the Navy, and then later got kicked out of the Catholic church/his teaching job at a local university for being gay.

Wedding was great! He did an awesome job and my parents loved him.

I'm not sure if his background makes him a better or worse choice for filling your parents: on the one hand, he clearly has experience lying to old people; on the other hand, he got caught doing it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you're gonna get married somewhere do it in China. Absolute best expectations of guest vs dollar cost ratio of anywhere I've ever been.

Only downside really is you will absolutely have a minimum guest count of like 250+

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its not the nation its the banquet halls

they just have normal rear end kitchens sized for 250 peeps, 300 peeps so they can just whack out the wedding like its a normal day at a restaurant instead of cateringy things. very little customization means economies of scale. you get the same dealio in certain banquet halls in america and east asian countries outside of china too

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Wedding at the malls food court, got it.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
So, Twitter is a crap way to take in the entirety of a story, apologies for the Twitter links. But, from what I gather, this guy is going for the BWM and BWL hall of fame.

Amazon apparently offers financing offers to pay for purchases (apply for this Credit Card and get $x/month payments for some number of months on your purchase). OK, thats not too uncommon these days.

Genius decides he should use this ability to buy over five million dollars of Gold:

https://twitter.com/w_budgick/status/1443078631518089216

Amazon smartly decides to try and, you know, have this guy prove his identity. He refuses (I assume this is a "muh freedoms" angle). They dont ship him any gold.

Enraged, he decides to threaten to murder some Amazon employees on social media. I didnt dig far enough to find this, but thats OK, because Mr. Genius decides to post a scanned copy of a court order laying out these crimes. A judge apparently found these threats credible enough to have his weapons taken away:

https://twitter.com/w_budgick/status/1448723316479561731

Among other saucy replies, an actual lawyer chimes in with some good advice (the video is a good one):

https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1448734791134851084

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Was the plan to defraud Amazon and never pay the credit card bills or something

drk
Jan 16, 2005

brugroffil posted:

Was the plan to defraud Amazon and never pay the credit card bills or something

I have to think it was either that, or just a bold play that somehow gold was about to wildly increase in price, making the credit payments easy. Market price actually looks about the same price today as when he tried to buy in July 2020, and he was paying $2080/oz in the screenshot - well over spot price (about $1800/oz at the time). I think coins usually usually cost over spot price to buy, but you dont get the same advantage when selling (dealers will pay spot minus a commission for coins). This means he would've had to sell at a loss to pay any credit card payments over the last year.

Given this guys seemingly unhinged ways, it seems more likely that he planned to smuggle it all to south america in a rather uncomfortable place, and ghost the bank.

drk fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 15, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Heffer posted:

Wedding at the malls food court, got it.

it's still top-grade banquet prix fixe food

wedding as conspicuous consumption, which must have rigorous and huge diseconomies of scale, and wedding as, like, wedding

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Looks like they caught this fraudster

Before his Prime

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Wait how does installment purchases work in the US? Don't you need to have enough credit card limit to cover the full amount of the purchases beforehand?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Looks like they caught this fraudster

Before his Prime

jesus christ

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Space Kablooey posted:

Wait how does installment purchases work in the US? Don't you need to have enough credit card limit to cover the full amount of the purchases beforehand?

There's been a rise of installment plan options with no/limited credit check. They're usually fairly short term in that they're only 4-6 months with set amounts instead of a standard credit card open ended payment.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
It looks like even if amazon shipped him all his gold, he'd just have been in less debt. Looks like he bought for $2080/oz and gold peaked at $2037, but he seems to think because the spot price of gold increased 12%, the price of his assorted gold coins must have increased the same, even though he bought them for more than the spot price.

He also has some weird bullshit sounding story about how he went to some amazon office with all the documents to prove his identity and they just didn't take it but it was "Confirmed by amazon head of security" that he was there on CCTV. I wanna find it again because he kept posting some address, but I bet it was like an random fulfillment center and not an acceptable way to verify identity.(Edit: the location he went to was a random Amazon warehouse near his house from what I can tell)

So I'm a bit confused, did they not ship him the gold, but still charged him 5.3 million? That does seem like something that should be possible to rectify, either by giving him the gold(in which case he's still deep in the hole, but less deep), or forgiving him the debt since he didn't get the gold. But the way to solve that problem isn't threatening to murder people.

Edit: I just realized that on top of that, he'd be incurring interest over 300k a year from this stupid scheme.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 15, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

drk posted:

Among other saucy replies, an actual lawyer chimes in with some good advice (the video is a good one):

https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1448734791134851084

Everyone needs to watch this video and internalize the lessons it offers.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

ultrafilter posted:

Reminder that cops are fairly universally substantially less vaccinated than the general public, so I also strongly recommend asking them to keep their distance if they are anywhere near you, as in addition to being piece of poo poo pig motherfuckers, they're also disease-ridden plague rats.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I would manhandle an armload of plague rats before I willingly spent time with a cop

Rats are awesome

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

ultrafilter posted:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

To be fair it's also pretty BWM for Amazon to just give this random goldbugger weirdo 5 million dollars of unsecured consumer credit.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Absolutely no way you're paying only $41/plate at a wedding venue. I'm not sure you could got that cheap even 20 years ago. $125/plate doesn't seem outrageous depending on the venue. That is usually the entire cost, so that's paying for the food, service, venue, etc.

I mean I dunno 125+25 seems high. but not outrageous. at the risk of a sixer my food drink total was 95ish dollars.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Speaking of BWM and Amazon...

quote:

So, this was a year ago now and since I've started working up in Walmart and I am much better off. However, this is a warning against Amazon.

During covid, I worked at Disney and after getting furloughed twice and having bills we couldn't afford, I decided to "try Amazon" because how wonderful they are Yada Yada. So I did. I lived in Orlando at the time. I got on their website and did their quick qualifier for a permanent position in the warehouse in Salt Lake City Utah. There were no jobs for Amazon in Florida and my wife's folks lived west of SLC, So I decided to try for it. I passed their test. In quotes it said "congrats on passing (not everybody does)" which I found odd. The job paid $18/hr which was $5/hr more than I was making at Disney.

They give me a window to interview for the job, out to about a week. I called the location and said, hey I'm out in Orlando and when can we set up a zoom call? They told me that they couldn't. I had a week to get there or lose out.

I called my wife into the room and told her "wanna go see your parents" she said " when?" I replied, "in about twenty minutes." We threw our stuff in the car and left. I figured that if I didn't get the job we could still do the road trip and see her folks and our friends from Idaho.

So I drive the 2,500 miles in 2 nights. No biggie.

We get there, I go to the "interview" which was a big open room with a line and revolving door. They took my picture, had me go into a chamber and do a cheek swab, and they said "you start in a week"

"I can't do that. I have a wife, a lease I have to break, and stuff to move 2500 miles, and I have to drive 2500 miles back. I need a month"

"You got two weeks".

I get in the car, drive back to Orlando, pay $3,000 for a pod to move our stuff into my inlaws basement. I fill out my background check and my I9 immediately.

Alexa calls me twice a day asking me to fill out my I9. I had the confirmation that they received it. I talked to the warehouse that said "yup no worries this is a normal issue, don't worry about it we got it."

I drive the 2,500 miles back, pack up, break a lease that costs me $3,400 and drive the 2,500 miles back to Salt Lake City.

Three days before I start I receive an email while on the road.

"We are taking longer than expected to process your background check, this is our fault not yours! It may delay your start date."

I know that I have zero background issues, so I think nothing of it.

I get to our new home in the basement. The day before my scheduled start date I call and inquire if there are any updates.

"Yeah, we got your background check back and everything looks good."

"Okay, great, so I should show up for my shift then?"

"No..."

"No? Why?"

"Because your shift that you had bid for has been given to someone else because of the background issue."

"I'm sorry?"

"You'll have to bid for a new shift."

"Really? That isn't my problem.. I want my shift I signed up for. It pays $18/hr because of the $3/hr night shift differential."

"Unfortunately you'll have to get on the site and find a new shift. And the $3/hr differential was only a holiday promo, that will be going away after Christmas."

"There was nothing that disclosed that..."

I look on the site and there are no available shifts of any kind or time. I call back.

"There are no shifts available, I want my old shift. This is your guys fault."

"No problem sir. Just keep refreshing the page and a new shift will be available as they post them on Monday."

I refresh the page all weekend. With zero filters on the shift search nothing comes up. Not one. Monday rolls around. I refresh all day till about 3pm. I call back.

"It is still showing no shifts."

"Well you'll just have to keep refreshing the page."

"No, look lady I want my shift. I held up my end of the bargain. I just moved our stuff, broke a lease, drove 7,500 miles over two weeks to be here. You lied Bout the shift promo. I want my original shift."

"I can't make one for you. I'm sorry you'll just have to keep refreshing the page "

" you feel nothing do you? Zero obligation, not one ounce of ethics. You couldn't care less that I lost everything and left everything, paid my own way for a 18 dollar an hour job that really is only 15. You don't care at all, I'm sure."

"Unfortunately sir, this just the way things work here at Amazon."

And I stopped looking after the call. I drove around in a UPS seasonal truck last Christmas then when that ran out started at Walmart.

Now I know that you might think I'm going to say never shop at Amazon again or support this company. I can't, I'm one man and that would be a futile endeavor. I will say that I have not spent a dime with them since this happened and that is my own personal choice and ethics to not support them. I do want my story to get out there so others don't have this happen to them and to beware of how they treat their human resources, as exactly that, resources that just happen to be actual humans.

Please share my story. 🙏

Also, when I ordered a lot of Walmart products to my in laws home, often times it would show up in an Amazon bag. This I believe since it wasn't disclosed that an Amazon fulfillment would be utilized in shipping, I felt was a violation of my consumer rights as my consumer choice to not use an Amazon shipping center or warehouse was violated. The truth is, they have their hands in every company, including up to the Walmart fulfillment. I wrote this in a letter to Utah's senators and house rep for our district. I got responses back, but of course they weren't taken seriously.

Thank you for allowing me to share my story with you all, and thank you for taking the time to read it.

People in the comments are clearly confused as to what made the OP decide to break his lease and move 2500 miles away for an Amazon Warehouse job.

quote:

I am trying to wrap my head around this.

You spent $6400 to move halfway across the country for a job that paid $5 more and hour.

That would take 8 months to break even. May i ask why?

OP responds

quote:

My rent to live in Disney world was 1650. My rent with the in laws... they wouldn't take money, I paid them in appliances because that's all they would accept. Still cheaper than high rents.

I think this sums it up best

quote:

Just a never ending string of poor decisions in this thread

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

Is my potential Sugar Daddy trying to scam me by using a bitcoin atm?

I'm unfamiliar with using bitcoin atm. Or anything to do with bitcoin. I met a sugar daddy on sugar daddy meets. Usually my past sugar daddy's just give me cash in person or using cashapp, zelle, or Zenmo.

This sugar daddy mentioned he wants to send me bitcoin. Told me to create an account at a bitcoin atm and that to deposite 500. I took out 500 from my bank. Unsure why I need to get 500....

Anyways, we had a miscommunication since there was an error when I got to the atm.. I guess I needed to register first Now? Idk. So I wasn't able to register

Now, I think I am register and he's sending me to the atm again saying that he's going to send me a qr code on my drive to the atm..... I thought that I would need to send him my qr code to recieve bitcoin. And that to create the account I had to I guess have money in it? Unsure. Is he scamming me? Is he trying to get 500 from me? Cause he said he will send me the qr code and to text him when I get to the atm.

I know I'm probably being an airhead but he's really acting as if I just don't understand anything about bitcoin. And he's right. I don't.

Can someone explain to me and not be Sarcastic about it please?

quote:

If someone does want to legit pay you in Bitcoin though, take that poo poo 100% it will be worth a fortune in 10 years (my opinion).

quote:

We've got an infestation of incels apparently. Being a beginners sub we get all types in here.

Don't let it turn you off to bitcoin. It can be a useful financial tool to help your savings grow. Even if this situation didn't work out, you could take advantage and learn about it if you're inclined. Good luck.

quote:

The people talking poo poo aren't even knowledgeable, and certainly not better. I like to think we're all equal, but when people can't respect their fellow human I can't help but think they're a little.. less.

Ok, quick tip; Bitcoin is the peoples money, a digital internet native protocol with nobody in charge. The easiest way to get started is by using CashApp. Just buy bitcoin in the app and sit on it. It's likely to double in value within the next 3 to 9 months.

If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Peace.

quote:

It is definitely more likely to go up than down. That is the nature of bitcoin. And while we can't know, it is absolutely possible to make an educated guess.

The odds of it halving are definitely small, and the odds of it doubling are pretty decent. It's not like my claim was even that outlandish. 100k is pretty f'n mild.

Someone who knows nothing of bitcoin isn't going to be interested in "maybe it goes up, maybe it goes down." They would be missing out on a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity because you want to exercise caution. That is hurting, not helping.

Don't give me a hard time because you lack confidence. I'm here to help people and I know what I'm doing.

quote:

No matter what happens you will come out ahead (possibly many times over) if you use this as your opportunity to get into bitcoin.

quote:

On average, bitcoin will gain more than lose. It has an infinite potential for growth and can only have a positive growth over the longterm. You can't guarantee short term results, but longterm it is guaranteed. Anyone with economics training who doesn't have a FUDD reason or bribe from fiat agencies will know this.

quote:

Scam. Hope you got some bitcoin for yourself anyway! It is projected to double in price from here by end of year.

quote:

Bitcoin is worth $50k USD per coin so maybe he has some aside and not cash many people want BTC as it will grow as over years like it has. I would accept it but keep it SAFE! Store seed phrase and passwords to wallets offline only!

quote:

Wow this is a really low thing for him to do. I hope you have or can find someone else to be a sugar daddy.

quote:

It is not necessarily a scam. Some people are into the idea of supporting another... that is the fetish or attraction there. I have a friend who is into this (paying women). On the other hand, there are tons of international scammers who message women randomly with this specific scam above and explicitly offering to be a sugar daddy unsolicited, so I doubt OP is a scammer (based on the information provided).

Edit: yes, it’s unusual someone may get off on paying a woman for sex or companionship or sometimes nothing at all... I don’t quite get it either, but it’s one of the most common fetishes. It really should not be all that surprising. And none of it is a scam, so long as both parties are on the same page.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

on the "i ordered from walmart and it arived in amazon packaging": that's actually third party sellers. i know this because i ordered something (i think it was juice) from amazon once and it wasn't arriving with the normal amazon shipping, and then arrived a few days later in a walmart.com box addressed to me.

a few puzzled minutes later wondering when i had ordered from walmart, i checked both websites and it appears someone was just running a bot that lists things on amazon at a markup from walmart and buys/ships it from walmart, for stuff amazon doesn't have in stock (and now, i know to check both sites!)

i assume someone is running the reverse

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Just had to lol at this mini entry:

quote:

Why is the afganistan crisis not affecting crypto prices?

Like idk you would think people and companies wouldnt want to invest in anything for a bit when there is possiblity of a huge war 😳 very weird.

quote:

Because nobody in afghanistan owns crypto.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

on the "i ordered from walmart and it arived in amazon packaging": that's actually third party sellers. i know this because i ordered something (i think it was juice) from amazon once and it wasn't arriving with the normal amazon shipping, and then arrived a few days later in a walmart.com box addressed to me.

a few puzzled minutes later wondering when i had ordered from walmart, i checked both websites and it appears someone was just running a bot that lists things on amazon at a markup from walmart and buys/ships it from walmart, for stuff amazon doesn't have in stock (and now, i know to check both sites!)

Sometimes it is arbitrage (resell at a higher price for a profit), sometimes it is credit card fraud/money laundering (use the stolen card/dirty money to buy the thing from site A, sell back on site B breakeven or for a small loss/profit to get clean recorded money back).

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

evilweasel posted:

People are doing the reverse, and you've probably seen it happen! Imagine two people on the edge of a cliff and they're each running a bot, one relisting from Amazon to Walmart and one doing the reverse. They each have a markup on their widgets, since there's some overhead in purchasing the widget from the store you're using as your sourcer and shipping it out, which means that their widgets are always slightly more expensive than from the store they source from.

Now imagine that the store they source from runs out of the widget. You'd think that this would mean that the resellers take down their listing, right? Not always! Alice should notice that she can't purchase the widget anymore, but Bob still has his listing up - it just means that Alice has to raise her prices a little bit. But now Bob sees that the price on Amazon has gone up, which means that if somebody buys the widget from Bob, he'll have to buy a more expensive widget from Alice and he'll lose money. So Bob now raises his prices to cover the costs, and now Alice has to notice that the cost of purchasing a widget from Walmart has increased - she has to raise her prices now, or she's losing money on every widget sale and she's probably not going to make it up in volume.

We can cut out a bunch of obvious steps here, but if you've ever seen something trivial being offered for tens of thousands of dollars on Amazon, this is one of the reasons that can happen.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

The Mayor of Miami is trying to move on to step two of his "Crypto City" project.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1448639492294909954

The constitution bans the states from making non-gold or silver currency right? Does this apply to 1) crypto bullshit 2) cities?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

On average, bitcoin will gain more than lose. It has an infinite potential for growth and can only have a positive growth over the longterm. 

This sounds a lot like Pascal's wager:

Blaise Pascal, 17th century posted:

Let us weigh the gain and the loss in wagering that God is. Let us estimate these two chances. If you gain, you gain all; if you lose, you lose nothing

Wager, then, without hesitation that He is. (...) There is here an infinity of an infinitely happy life to gain, a chance of gain against a finite number of chances of loss, and what you stake is finite. And so our proposition is of infinite force when there is the finite to stake in a game where there are equal risks of gain and of loss, and the infinite to gain.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Calumanjaro posted:

The constitution bans the states from making non-gold or silver currency right? Does this apply to 1) crypto bullshit 2) cities?

The US Constitution Article 1 Section 10 posted:

No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.

So yes, the constitution does explicitly ban a state making anything but gold or silver legal tender for debts. I assume that would apply to cities within the state. There is however if I'm reading this analysis of the section right some loopholes where you could classify crypto in such a way as to get around this. It's ultimately still a holding of dollars and therefore gold.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

From the article it sounded like the city would be essentially buying crypto for their workers so technically they are still getting paid in USD just the city is acting as a middle man in buying it.

As for paying the city taxes in Bitcoin, I don't know. I've lived in Orlando all my life and the only taxes are property and sales taxes, but maybe Miami actually collects some sort of income tax, I have no idea. The State doesn't though so I think him saying "pay taxes with Bitcoin" is just a talking point.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

drk posted:

I have to think it was either that, or just a bold play that somehow gold was about to wildly increase in price, making the credit payments easy.

Reading too many goldbug subreddits about imminent USD hyperinflation

drk posted:

Given this guys seemingly unhinged ways, it seems more likely that he planned to smuggle it all to south america in a rather uncomfortable place, and ghost the bank.

Like the back of a Volkswagen?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Pham Nuwen posted:

Reading too many goldbug subreddits about imminent USD hyperinflation

My favorite part is that he thinks he could have made 750k and that Amazon robbed him of this.

That 750k is almost a 14% or return on his 5.4 million in coins he tried to purchase. Which is what the spot price of gold went up between the day he tried to buy this, and the peak shortly later. He clearly thinks he would have sold his coins for an increase of 14% or so, at $2371! (The spot price peaked at $2071)

I'm still confused how he never received anything from them though and is still on the hook for the charge, or did he eventually get it, sell at an enormous loss?

It's so hard to track from his twitter, because he posts like he has a mental disorder, which makes sense because his brain was already a bit melty to come up with this plan, but now it's in total meltdown after trying to chase his entirely fictional profit and probably ruining himself forever financially.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

NFT peeps are mad at Busta Rhymes.

https://twitter.com/BustaRhymes/status/1448979255807946755

https://twitter.com/nonfungibledev/status/1448988248446062601
https://twitter.com/NFTeaExpert/status/1449000089201037317
https://twitter.com/mazaambi/status/1448988131613495309
https://twitter.com/gdnn1975/status/1448999241016233991
https://twitter.com/crypto_bitlord7/status/1448989546771714060
https://twitter.com/karbon78/status/1448980161009958925

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I don't get the weird fascination with people bragging about being ripped of by "The Salt Bae"

They ordered wine off the menu that had no price listed and got charged ~$13,000 for it.

https://twitter.com/MENnewsdesk/status/1448992171336605697

This is what a ~$51,000 meal looks like BTW:

The steak costs ~$1,300.

The edible gold flake retails for about $6 and the steak retails for ~$89.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That dude is running an incredible grift and I respect him for it.