Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've just gotten the Gravity Suit so still taking my time lol. Unfun robots or not I'm considering replaying sooner than I thought to break things open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I beat it on stream last night. This is probs my goty unless GTA Trilogy does something amazing. I got lost a few times. once for two+ hours coming back to a save after a couple days, exploring every book and cranny, before I took the advice of "just go up" the others were just bad sequence breaks including shine sparking across the water to the teleporter like that other goon. luckily I realized I shouldn't have done that and just had to take the long way around to get back instead of running around for hours again.
I have only 2 complaints.
shine sparking. I'm really bad at it. there's all these buttons, why does the same button to shine spark have to be the jump button. I always do the opposite of what I want to do. L3 bothered me at first but not after a while.
And
the final boss fight: specifically the flying form. the glowing white shield is not a good indication of damage, so after I fought him a bunch trying different attacks I couldn't even tell if I was doing any damage. I even had viewers on my stream watching to see if they could see if any of the different attacks seems like they were doing damage and no one could tell. that was the first time I actually looked something up.

I'm thinking of submitting my time. :smug:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Ooh, I have you beat. Mine was 13:05.

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

"What?!?! You stuck that WHERE?!?!

:staredog:

Finally beat this game just now and that final boss was a tough one! Once I figured out how to get through the first phase though it all clicked. If you are having trouble, keep at it and focus on learning the patterns.

The difficulty was pretty high for this one but I appreciated it although I *was* tempted to throw my controller a couple times on a couple bosses.

Got lost a few times and ended up taking 10:02:02 for my first playthrough. What a great game and I am looking forward to more Metroid. :black101:

Now its time to go read all this spoiler text you fine folks are posting about the plot…

I do feel like they ran out of time and/or money for the credits. What is with Nintendo and MIDI style music still? 🙁

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Lol my clear time was 14hrs, 44min…but I hit 100% on the first play through after getting thoroughly lost a bunch :haw:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Learning that one (actually, two) of the ending images requires you to get under four hours has kinda killed my desire to replay the game. I'm not that good at Metroid. I could skip most of the missile tanks (they seem mostly pointless after getting 100 or so) but I'd need all the energy tanks especially on hard mode and that feels like it would prevent me from hitting it. It's also kind of a dick move to count cutscenes against your time even if you skip them!

This isn't a complaint really or a ""game bad" post since the game is still loving great and extremely good, just feel like I can go back to some other games and leave with a super positive impression of the game, because I have a feeling any attempts I made at under four hours would result in me feeling frustrated and bringing my opinion down.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Twelve by Pies posted:

Learning that one (actually, two) of the ending images requires you to get under four hours has kinda killed my desire to replay the game. I'm not that good at Metroid. I could skip most of the missile tanks (they seem mostly pointless after getting 100 or so) but I'd need all the energy tanks especially on hard mode and that feels like it would prevent me from hitting it. It's also kind of a dick move to count cutscenes against your time even if you skip them!

This isn't a complaint really or a ""game bad" post since the game is still loving great and extremely good, just feel like I can go back to some other games and leave with a super positive impression of the game, because I have a feeling any attempts I made at under four hours would result in me feeling frustrated and bringing my opinion down.
I played Hard Mode on my second playthrough and skipped most items and got lost a LOT and still finished with over half an hour to spare. It's really not so bad because it doesn't count deaths or loads.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

hughesta posted:

I played Hard Mode on my second playthrough and skipped most items and got lost a LOT and still finished with over half an hour to spare. It's really not so bad because it doesn't count deaths or loads.

Yeah, this is the key to making it not so bad. If you get lost or go the wrong direction by accident, just reload your save. You should have a decent amount of wiggle room in terms of time. The bosses are still tough but for the most part it's just about getting clean with the patterns, once you do they die relatively quickly still

Still difficult but you don't need to do any sequence breaking or anything in particular to be fast enough

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

goddamn that lightning butterfly boss annoyed the hell out of me until someone told me the trick. I love this game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I haven't had any trouble with most bosses, I've killed almost all of them first try so far.

Minibosses are beating my rear end though

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

I haven't had any trouble with most bosses, I've killed almost all of them first try so far.

Minibosses are beating my rear end though

I was just dedicated to killing it with the speedspark, cause I need to learn it at some point. but I still don't even after

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just watched my brother go for the speed finish on normal in his third run and he managed 3:19. I was very impressed, but it didn't seem like he really did anything crazy, he just followed the critical path.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Barreft posted:

goddamn that lightning butterfly boss annoyed the hell out of me until someone told me the trick. I love this game.

What was the trick?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Muscle Tracer posted:

What was the trick?

You can speedrun into the room from the prior one and store a spark, shoot into him and then like 4 missiles takes him down

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

hughesta posted:

I'm still trying to figure out how the hell I took 5 hours on my hard mode run since I'd already beat it on normal lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

oh wait it's because i stopped at one of the shinespark puzzles for an hour out of stubborn annoyance

that'd do it

got those missiles tho :smug:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I wanna know who on the dev team came up with this shinespark puzzle, because I would like to wish them a special place in hell. It's needed even if you aren't trying to sequence break, and it requires
-storing shinespark on a path just long enough for it (and a door perfectly timed to make you wait just long enough between attempts to be infuriating)
-multiple mid-air shinespark dashes with very little margin for error

no other puzzle in the game is this bullshit

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The term "shinespark puzzle" is almost disingenuous. The solution to the puzzle is often relatively clear. These are shinespark tests of patience.

Dave Matthews Big Fan!
Nov 10, 2009
that shinespark turned out to be pretty easy once I found out on accident that you can instant spark out of a spin jump by pressing shoot and jump at the same time, the first one is still pretty tight but the second is pretty lenient since you can hit the ground and jump at it instead of trying to time it while falling

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dave Matthews Big Fan! posted:

that shinespark turned out to be pretty easy once I found out on accident that you can instant spark out of a spin jump by pressing shoot and jump at the same time, the first one is still pretty tight but the second is pretty lenient since you can hit the ground and jump at it instead of trying to time it while falling

The trick I found is hands off the L-stick until charging. Makes it a lot trickier to pull off if you're trying to anticipate the dash.

That part was where I learned how to do air-dashes. Made the rest of them easy.

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007
You can do that first ramp as a grounded shinespark. Don't shoot the beam blocks. Stand in the middle of them and shinespark diagonally down-left. I find that easier than dropping through them.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
That puzzle got immensely easier once I found out it was more beneficial to reset the spark before sliding under the protrusion before the waterfall than trying to make it to the edge to store the spark. From doing it right before having to slide you have more time than you'd think you have to make it down to about halfway between the waterfall to line yourself up right to spark again in mid-air.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Metroid Prime Trilogy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOyiOkJ4utw
🤔
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7jghvDhQ28
:thunk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G958DvTsXuc

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Just finished this game. Don't know what a shinespark is. I don't really have any historic love for Metroid and this seemed like a large monetary investment for ten hours of game, but I enjoyed the bosses pretty uniformly except for the octopus thing which was just a nothingburger. Last boss was quite a bit harder than the others which I one or two shot, but I liked that he was a challenge even once you worked out the patterns. Other than this it was fine.

Was the reveal that the bird monster is your dad some kind of story built up over time? It made me laugh.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

JBP posted:

Just finished this game. Don't know what a shinespark is. I don't really have any historic love for Metroid and this seemed like a large monetary investment for ten hours of game, but I enjoyed the bosses pretty uniformly except for the octopus thing which was just a nothingburger. Last boss was quite a bit harder than the others which I one or two shot, but I liked that he was a challenge even once you worked out the patterns. Other than this it was fine.

Was the reveal that the bird monster is your dad some kind of story built up over time? It made me laugh.

Metroid is a series that you replay for better times/100%/low% completions to get your monetary value.

Not really. It was always known that Samus got Chozo DNA as a child so she could survive on Zebes (and it also gave her her superhuman abilities), but we never knew who gave her the DNA prior to Dread.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I don't hear a lot of talk about Prime 3 but I'm not afraid to say I like it a lot. Love to watch Samus slowly devolve into a phazon puddle.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

JBP posted:

Samus having been raised by the Chozo after her birth parents were killed, and receiving gene modification from them, is long established lore. Darth Vader Chozo being an additional DNA donor to her alongside the nice birds was a pretty laughable thing to throw in though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Metroid is a series that you replay for better times/100%/low% completions to get your monetary value.

Not really. It was always known that Samus got Chozo DNA as a child so she could survive on Zebes (and it also gave her her superhuman abilities), but we never knew who gave her the DNA prior to Dread.

Yeah Metroid is one of the origins of the entire concept of Speedrunning and is usually designed around that (especially the 2D games.)

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

JBP posted:

To add what others said, I think Raven Beak wanted it to be an epic reveal but the devs and by extension Samus knew it was laughable. Note how Samus kinda blows it off and just starts blasting

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blaziken386 posted:

I wanna know who on the dev team came up with this shinespark puzzle, because I would like to wish them a special place in hell. It's needed even if you aren't trying to sequence break, and it requires
-storing shinespark on a path just long enough for it (and a door perfectly timed to make you wait just long enough between attempts to be infuriating)

no other puzzle in the game is this bullshit

RBA Starblade posted:

Stop spinjumping you rear end in a top hat I'm trying to shinespark

No don't grab the ledge God drat it

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

To add what others said, I think Raven Beak wanted it to be an epic reveal but the devs and by extension Samus knew it was laughable. Note how Samus kinda blows it off and just starts blasting
Samus has negative fucks to give about any connections she has to an absentee DNA donor, especially one that just sees her as a weapon. I don't think monologues are very effective against her.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
flash and speedbooster being like two minutes apart from each other feels weird

I mean sure MAXIMUM SPEED but still

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I love Raven Beak as a villain because once you think about it for a bit, he's a giant goober and I bet Samus totally gave him a swirly or two before leaving birb planet to do her own thing.

I bet he even moderates an MRA forum or two

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

OhFunny posted:

Incredible Doomguy energy from Samus in this game.

This is from many pages back, but it's spot on. Samus this entire game absolutely rules and I hope this is her characterization going forward. It completely wipes away the Other M tragedy.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SettingSun posted:

I don't hear a lot of talk about Prime 3 but I'm not afraid to say I like it a lot. Love to watch Samus slowly devolve into a phazon puddle.
Samus loves the phazon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQLIwauAVNU

It's funny how Prime 3 is like an Avengers movie where, by the end, Iron Man has murdered every other Avenger

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 15, 2021

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Renegret posted:

I love Raven Beak as a villain because once you think about it for a bit, he's a giant goober and I bet Samus totally gave him a swirly or two before leaving birb planet to do her own thing.

I bet he even moderates an MRA forum or two

every metroid enemy is either an unknowable cosmic horror who could actually be good if treated well (metroids, parasite x) or the biggest loving goober on the planet

after randomly buying Dread exactly one week ago, realizing I've never actually played a Metroid other than a couple hours of renting Prime a couple decades ago, and deciding to play a few older ones before starting, I've now played through Zero Mission, AM2R, Super Metroid, Fusion, and Dread, and holy poo poo, what a fuckin great time I had. just a delightful, brutal series. loved how Dread capped off all of the lore, even if yeah bird guy is samus's chozodad was a bit overkill.

going through the series really made Dread feel special. earning every ability was like greeting an old friend, the changes to abilities and tweaks to the formula put a huge grin on my face every time. having an easy-to-use wall jump and space jump in an official metroid game feels so good!! AM2R had a good space jump, and I bet samus returns had good versions, but they felt so much tighter here than in Super or even Zero Mission.

I will say that after seeing that Other M is one of the unlockable art cards, I'm considering playing it, but not having a Wiimote lying around will probably keep me away from that bad idea. the prime series, though, now that might be worth revisiting...

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Blaziken386 posted:

That is not how I did it, it was waaaay easier than that. You don't have to do any mid-air shooting or shinesparking at all. For the first one, just land on the breakable blocks and shinespark down-left, you'll go through the blocks, hit the slope and continue running. The second slope isn't even necessary if you have the space jump, you can just store the shinespark at the top there and you'll have enough time to just go down to where you need to be and slam into the wall.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

That is not how I did it, it was waaaay easier than that. You don't have to do any mid-air shooting or shinesparking at all. For the first one, just land on the breakable blocks and shinespark down-left, you'll go through the blocks, hit the slope and continue running. The second slope isn't even necessary if you have the space jump, you can just store the shinespark at the top there and you'll have enough time to just go down to where you need to be and slam into the wall.

Thank crabs I'm glad to read this. I just came to the thread to say I'm near the end and have loved the game except for a couple shinespark puzzles because the controls are just so finnicky combined with super tight tricks. Didn't even know chainsparking before this one item. Just spent a half hour trying over and over, annoying half them fail just not catching the first storage on that ledge with like 1 block of boost space before falling down and losing it. What you described sounds way more manageable and intended, the mid-air dash is just so unreliable, 9/10 for my I end up hitting the ground before I can fire one off and it goes nowhere useful.

Phew, I think I'll be able to clean up most others. There were a few I abandoned earlier, not realizing until very late that shinespark could be stored to use in ball mode, I kept thinking I''d be getting some kind of speedboost ball mode that gets you shine-speed in a small space and NOT this crazy potential speed paths.

My fav ability is the shine-spark since you turn into sonic.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
What’s the best way to play AM2R? I remember I played it for a bit years ago when it first came out, but it crashed a lot and didn’t control great, probably because I didn’t have my janky PS2 controller -> USB plug set up correctly.

I saw a screenshot where someone had it on their Switch (or maybe Wii U?), but I assume that was done through hacking it. And someone else said they played it on their Xbox somehow? Does a ROM of it exist or do I basically need to get my hands on a PC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

abraham linksys posted:

I will say that after seeing that Other M is one of the unlockable art cards, I'm considering playing it, but not having a Wiimote lying around will probably keep me away from that bad idea. the prime series, though, now that might be worth revisiting...

Other M is absolutely worth playing if you can get a cheap copy. Yes it's terrible but it's the the kind of terrible that needs to be experienced. And there's a reason everyone focuses on the poo poo rear end story, the actual gameplay isn't the worst. It's been a very long time since I've played it but I do recall having fun when the game allowed itself to be Metroid.

I will say though, Dread is the Metroid game that the series has needed for ages.

Final Boss: Though my one big gripe with Dread is the final boss. I'm super into the Cosmic Horror thing with Metroid final bosses so having the final boss here be a deadbeat dad birdman feels super lame. I like Raven Beak as a villain but I really wish the Raven Beak X Kraid Z-57 monstrosity was the real final boss and not just a cinematic setpiece