Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Oh god I was sleep posting cringe again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I have first hand accounts of first hands accounts that the ballots were smelling like tacos or something. I think this is big. It means that Mexico very likely manipulated the election.

Can someone point me to a whistleblower site where I can report this? This information could very well reinstate President Trump

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I have it on good authority that there is a guy in Marxloh who is actually Kaiser Wilhelm II and he is currently in the process of rounding up the germany AG

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

GABA ghoul posted:

I have first hand accounts of first hands accounts that the ballots were smelling like tacos or something. I think this is big. It means that Mexico very likely manipulated the election.

Can someone point me to a whistleblower site where I can report this? This information could very well reinstate President Trump

I have a website here where you can report taco related election discrepancies https://deltaco.com/

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

Oh god I was sleep posting cringe again

I found it interesting. Further reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_image_of_Native_Americans_in_German-speaking_countries

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
The Q-pilled nypd union leader just had his union headquarters raided: https://www.nydailynews.com/new-yor...6m2i-story.html

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Wasn't he posting videos of himself ranting about how liberals were evil before the election?

They took his gun away and he retired the next day. LOL. I wonder when we will find out what hosed up poo poo he was doing? Literally insurrection? Probably not since they didn't take him into custody but it may be his records and documents they really want since he would have been talking to people at a certain level.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
So if we imagine palantir as a sort of inverted Facebook, where you can create a record of a person, then map out who they correspond with and what thought leaders they engage with, imbibe content from, and signal boost...

If the feds are raiding the digital correspondences of insurrectionists and exporting their social media data to a palantir-style system...

They'd get a pretty clear view of the propaganda machine and the origins of many weaponized memes.

That info might be kept a closely guarded secret, employed by us intelligence for planning,
or analysis of it might be employed (by the federal machine) for ("counter"-)propaganda purposes.

I don't know if this is actually being done but it would kinda surprise me if it weren't.

Anyway, the larger the sample - the more fascist insurrectionists they do social media exfiltration and meta analysis of - the more starkly defined the propaganda machine will appear.

And mind you, I'd be furious (and quite anxious) if the US Federal apparatus started using this approach to break up the Water Protector network, or BLM, or lgbtq or labor activism etc. Still, I think the qanon propaganda machine in particular is vulnerable to this approach. I don't know that doing this to blm would do anything more than illuminate an active national grass roots movement (plus some delineated attempts at astroturfing). With qanon, when you do this, you find a very tight knit web of influencers sharing in a coordinated manner, and a top-down flow of deliberate narrative injection.

I mean, the way I see it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
So, maybe some parts the Q universe now think the traitor General Kelly is now in league with Satan?

Would be pretty cool if they turn on him and he gets a dose of the abuse they spew.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Lord Stimperor posted:

I live in The Netherlands. One of my neighbours now has two Q stickers on their car. WTF America keep that poo poo at home

It's a thing here. We've had Q stickers over the pedestrian heads on road signs for a year now and I'm even seeing new ones in the past few weeks:

Today we had a small group in Guy Fawkes masks standing in the city center holding up signs that say Anonymous and one of them holding up a screen with static. Felt more like they were role playing Dedsec from the Watch Dogs game series than anything else but I didn't take the time to see what they were about. Oh and a few months ago we had a small Corona protest with Bill Gates = Devil and "Plannedemic" signs.

TL;Dr American craziness isn't a recent import and it probably developed at the same time since as others have said, you can fit the Q stuff into any other craziness you already believe in.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

What is a buy-Sunday, is that different from just a regular Sunday

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

What is a buy-Sunday, is that different from just a regular Sunday

It's a nice Zondag... for me to koop on!

(Guessing it's a market day, still loads of places in Europe that basically exist because it was a handy place for local farms to sell things in 1174)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Does “planndemic” still work in Hollish or is this the downside of a whole country that speaks BBC newscaster-perfect English?

Also how angry were these people on the Dutch version on the angry scale? Were these folks normal, polite “anger” or in full “football match with Germany werewolf rage” mode?

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

Does “planndemic” still work in Hollish or is this the downside of a whole country that speaks BBC newscaster-perfect English?

It's 'plandemie' in Dutch (plan = plan, pandemic = pandemie), but yeah it's quite normal to use English here.

Also, there's been Qanon graffiti in several places in my Dutch hometown for years. So it's not that new, although they were probably all done by the same guy.

rasputin handshake
Dec 25, 2005

Hello, WIP? Am I on?

Uglycat posted:

So if we imagine palantir as a sort of inverted Facebook, where you can create a record of a person, then map out who they correspond with and what thought leaders they engage with, imbibe content from, and signal boost...

If the feds are raiding the digital correspondences of insurrectionists and exporting their social media data to a palantir-style system...

They'd get a pretty clear view of the propaganda machine and the origins of many weaponized memes.

That info might be kept a closely guarded secret, employed by us intelligence for planning,
or analysis of it might be employed (by the federal machine) for ("counter"-)propaganda purposes.

I don't know if this is actually being done but it would kinda surprise me if it weren't.

Anyway, the larger the sample - the more fascist insurrectionists they do social media exfiltration and meta analysis of - the more starkly defined the propaganda machine will appear.

And mind you, I'd be furious (and quite anxious) if the US Federal apparatus started using this approach to break up the Water Protector network, or BLM, or lgbtq or labor activism etc. Still, I think the qanon propaganda machine in particular is vulnerable to this approach. I don't know that doing this to blm would do anything more than illuminate an active national grass roots movement (plus some delineated attempts at astroturfing). With qanon, when you do this, you find a very tight knit web of influencers sharing in a coordinated manner, and a top-down flow of deliberate narrative injection.

I mean, the way I see it.

Unfortunately tools like Palantir tend to exist simply to provide a veneer of objectivity or authority via “the algorithm” to conclusions which have already been reached. It could probably accomplish what you’re describing, but the challenge isn’t it synthesizing all of that data, or even gathering it; the challenge is getting the organizations using it to consider what you’re describing as a problem in the first place

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Xiahou Dun posted:

It's this, yep.

quote:

Also how angry were these people on the Dutch version on the angry scale? Were these folks normal, polite “anger” or in full “football match with Germany werewolf rage” mode?
No anger at all, it was actually quite cheerful. They had a drummer and everything and were dancing. It was more of a flouting the rules type of protest rather than a yell at a government building protest, but the signs are pretty much the same. I've got pics that I'll post if I can find them. We thought it was some street party until we got closer and saw the signs.

E:

I'd forgotten it was indeed plandemie, and also "Controla Virus". My brain saved the memory in English for some reason. And yes, the irony of her wearing a facemask...

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 10, 2021

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

A good coverage of Trump's Iowa Rally from now-independent journalist Aaron Rupar:

quote:

Two days after Trump went on Sean Hannity’s Fox News show and echoed the racist opening line of his first presidential campaign by accusing Haitian migrants of spreading AIDS, top Iowa Republicans provided the latest demonstration Saturday of how Trump’s hold over the party remains absolute, with Gov. Kim Reynolds, Sen. Chuck Grassley, and Reps. Mariannette Miller-Meeks and Ashley Hinson introducing him before his rally in Des Moines.

Grassley’s night encapsulated the corner Republicans have backed themselves into. Before the rally, Iowa’s senior senator went on Newsmax and turned reality on its head, arguing that Trump actually worked to thwart the January 6 insurrection (nevermind that tape of Trump pressuring a Georgia official to “find” votes for him) and as such is the victim of another witch hunt.

Trump’s Des Moines audience actually seemed rather bored by the parts of his speech devoted to lying about the 2020 election. But before he got there he offered them a heavy dose of racism. Trump called Haitian migrants “uneducated,” defended his Muslim ban by saying “we really don't want people in our country who are going to blow up our cities,” and said of Afghan refugees, “you're going to be hearing from those people over the coming years in a very bad way."

People may be numb to this sort of bigotry coming from Trump, but that doesn’t mean it should be dismissed. On the contrary, racist fear-mongering coming from the leader of a major political party is extremely notable. Again, a leader of a major party turning his refusal to concede an election he lost into an applause line at a rally is an important marker of democratic erosion in this country.

That doesn’t mean CNN and MSNBC should be carrying Trump’s speeches live, but people should be aware of the sort of stuff he’s normalizing among the GOP base. And if the past five years have taught us anything, there’s nothing Trump could do to lose the support of GOP elected officials who prioritize their political future over principle. Chuck Grassley even admitted as much.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Trump's just playing the Greatest Hits at all his concerts, and this is a crowd that needs a new album yesterday

birds
Jun 28, 2008

So I was helping my mom this weekend with something on her phone and as I’m swiping through, I’m floored by how many “Kraken” and MAGA apps she has installed.

This was a woman at the beginning of the pandemic that took COVID seriously and talked about Trump supporters with disdain. Now we’re here in late 2021 and she’s refusing to get the vaccine even though my age 85+ grandparents will never be able to travel again to the US.

It’s mind boggling that this is all done in the name of personal freedom when they are restricting their own freedom more than any lockdown ever did.

But after looking at the Apple App Store, why are there so many of these Q-Anon adjacent apps and where are the left-wing apps? People talk a lot about Facebook but if that were to magically disappear people like my mom would just move on to these unmonitored news aggregator apps.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

birds posted:

where are the left-wing apps?

I think you mean Facebook and Twitter

:colbert:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
There aren't left-wing apps because there aren't left-wing corporation owners willing to fund them

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Gort posted:

There aren't left-wing apps because there aren't left-wing corporation owners willing to fund them

Does anyone know Ben and Jerry

maybe we could talk to them

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Gort posted:

Do you even need that much funding for a basic messaging/information app? I think there aren't left-wing apps because leftists generally use multiple sources of information as opposed toone or two approved ones.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

DarkCrawler posted:

Do you even need that much funding for a basic messaging/information app? I think there aren't left-wing apps because leftists generally use multiple sources of information as opposed toone or two approved ones.

Making the app is cheap. Paying influencers and other marketing types to actually get anyone to hear about it is expensive.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
What the gently caress is a krakken app anyway? Like is it just another news feed of poo poo? jesus gently caress people are addicted to tech engagement.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think the Kraken was supposed to be some big piece of evidence that would prove the election was stolen, or something?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

A lot of it is incentive structures. [Link Rick Perlstein's classic Baffler piece here]. The RW griftosphere has always paired their messaging with selling dick pills and gold coins, so they want to cast as wide a net as possible to catch the maximum number of suckers.

Leftists aren't immune to scams or disinformation (we're still human after all) but leftists are more innately suspicious of someone trying to sell them something for a few obvious reasons

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

RatHat posted:

I think the Kraken was supposed to be some big piece of evidence that would prove the election was stolen, or something?

I think the idea predated the election, it was more generally about exposing the deep state conspiracy iirc.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Clarste posted:

I think the idea predated the election, it was more generally about exposing the deep state conspiracy iirc.

I think kraken-type/octopus-type imagery was fairly widespread as a conspiracy meme in general, but I think in Q contexts the Kraken became a big thing when Sidney Powell was going off about it constantly before producing a big juicy nothingburger.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

See, we're the good guys because mainstream media villainizes the mythological creatures we like using.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Warthur posted:

I think kraken-type/octopus-type imagery was fairly widespread as a conspiracy meme in general, but I think in Q contexts the Kraken became a big thing when Sidney Powell was going off about it constantly before producing a big juicy nothingburger.

Yeah the Kraken was Powell and Wood's series of lolsuits that' were supposed to prove dominion used Chavez designed software to steal the election for Biden. It was supposed to be the grand cinematic gesture (because these people think life is paced like a movie) that turned the whole thing around. Instead they got laughed out of court and are currently ineffectually appealing a sanctions order against them.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Powell and Woods arent lawyers themselves, no?

Havent the courts gotten so annoyed that theyre even looking into those bttom of the brrel lcd lawyers they hired for getting disbarred or something because the abolsute dogshit bad faith stuff?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Powell and Wood are lawyers with fairly distinguished careers. When Wood represented Unsworth against Elon in the pedoguy suit most legal observers thought that it was bad news for Musk. Then everyone was baffled at how poorly the trial went and the legal community began to realize Wood had an accelerating case of boomer brain worms.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

Powell and Woods arent lawyers themselves, no?

Havent the courts gotten so annoyed that theyre even looking into those bttom of the brrel lcd lawyers they hired for getting disbarred or something because the abolsute dogshit bad faith stuff?

Hahaha, Powell and Woods are absolutely lawyers. I would say it’s a disgrace to the profession, but, well…

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Soylent Pudding posted:

Powell and Wood are lawyers with fairly distinguished careers. When Wood represented Unsworth against Elon in the pedoguy suit most legal observers thought that it was bad news for Musk. Then everyone was baffled at how poorly the trial went and the legal community began to realize Wood had an accelerating case of boomer brain worms.

What's really amazing is how Powell and Wood seemed surprised that the Tucker Defense didn't work for them. They really should have known you can't go "Lol jk no rational person would believe this." Once the paperwork is filed. Antics like that are how you get the judge to order the bailiff to make your ribcage into a stylish waistcoat

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I love how Powell is arguing in the sanctions hearings that she did her due diligence etc etc but then in the Dominion defamation case she insists "that's like, just my opinion bro, don't take it literally".

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Have you been thinking “What is really needed in Congress is more Q-Anon lunatics” ???

Well, guess what!

https://twitter.com/pokerpolitics/status/1448805527870443531?s=21

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

MrMojok posted:

Have you been thinking “What is really needed in Congress is more Q-Anon lunatics” ???

Well, guess what!

https://twitter.com/pokerpolitics/status/1448805527870443531?s=21

He gives me that same vibe as the kid we were always worried was going to come to school with an AR15, he has like the same awkward and stilted yet somehow arrogant and not disarming cadence that seems like he’s an alien in a human suit.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, it’s extremely unnatural. Politics is an arena where charisma actually does count for something, and this dude is extremely lacking in that area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Counterpoint: Ted Cruz swallowed his own tooth on television and generally looks like an AI smashed a blobfish and a human together as part of an uncanny valley experiment.