Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Is that for real? Tesla autopilots are known to cross double yellows? How has Tesla not been sued or regulated out of business for such a homicidal software failure? That's like spectacularly bad

Because it's the opinion of the US government that doing anything to Tesla will cause its investors to suffer and god knows we can't have that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Tesla themselves have started DMCA'ing (lol) Twitter and Youtube videos that make them look bad.
No they haven't.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I was watching Alice in Borderland, a japanese series about being trapped in a malicious game world (no, not squid game, this one is a bit older).

The protagonists need a vehicle, because an EMP wiped out all electrics. They find a 'special' bus that still has functioning electrics because of the game mechanics i guess, but can't start it because the tank is empty. They notice something about 'model year carburetor'.

Then they found an Enfield. Very specifically said it's one on diesel. They decide to fill up the bus with the diesel (wait what, the bus had a carburetor? I mean, gasoline buses exist so okay).
But they say they can't start the enfield because the electrics are gone. So they push the bike for like 6 kilometers.

THE ONE DEFINING CHARACTERISTIC OF A DIESEL ENFIELD IS THAT IT WILL RUN EVEN IF AN EMP TOASTED ALL ELECTRICS. Sigh. YOU COULD HAVE RIDDEN THE GODDAMN THING BECAUSE IT HAS NO IGNITION AND YOU CAN KICKSTART IT.

/rant

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
oh there was an enfield in that? i was too busy looking at tao's boobs

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

There are tons of hot guys in there too :3 but they were literally like
"HEY DUDE! THAT'S A ROYAL ENFIELD IT IS A SPECIAL MODEL THAT RUNS ON DIESEL!"
"OH YEAH DUDE, YOU REALLY KNOW YOUR BIKE STUFF"
"LET'S WALK IT TO THE BUS AND THEN USE THE DIESEL TO START THE BUS"

So i couldn't not-see it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I looked it up because I wasn't aware that Royal Enfield ever made a diesel bike. The only diesel-powered motorcycle I was aware of that hit anything resembling mass production was that KLR they built for the USMC.

The RE Taurus diesel does exist, apparently. It looks like it has a repurposed agricultural motor and it makes a reported 6.5 horsepower out of 325cc. Nice

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
It sounds great, I want to ride one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae-dyLFk4wk

At 12:35 he finally starts it up, then rides to a gas station where the attendant is incredulous that he wants diesel in it

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I looked it up because I wasn't aware that Royal Enfield ever made a diesel bike. The only diesel-powered motorcycle I was aware of that hit anything resembling mass production was that KLR they built for the USMC.

The RE Taurus diesel does exist, apparently. It looks like it has a repurposed agricultural motor and it makes a reported 6.5 horsepower out of 325cc. Nice

I'd have used the fuel for the bus too.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Weird, I was sure there were diesel-powered variants of the Armstrong that the British Army uses but I can't seem to find any evidence of it - might just be misremembering the USMC one.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I think the 325cc thing is indeed the only standard production one, but there are relatively many people who shoved their own Lombardini (or chinese clone) diesel into a Bullet frame.

Aside from that, Sommer makes partially Royal Enfield-based diesel bikes with real german Hatz engines in them: http://www.motorradmanufaktur.de/index.php
They have a list of parts and where they came from somewhere on their site.

But i think they used a normal bullet in the shot. i recognize the large cooling ribs on the cylinder. Usually those are hidden by fan shrouds on the diesel bikes.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Hopped on the hack rig to go down to the corner store and pick up a couple of 6 packs for football watching this afternoon. Old lady in a CR-V with her decrepit mother in the passenger seat starts to pull out from the pumps and nearly runs into the back end of my bike after I've passed by her on the way to a parking spot. I saw her start to pull out, juked to the right while cursing, and continued to park.

"EXCUSE ME! YOU NEED TO WATCH OUT, I ALMOST HIT YOU!" Old lady yelling out her window while her mother death glares at me. Wouldn't have been her fault for pulling into me from a dead stop because she didn't look where she was going, no siree. I loving teleported in front of her. Did you hear what just came out of your mouth, lady? YOU almost hit ME. Why am I catching a lecture?

Just took off my helmet, said "yes ma'am, have a good weekend" and went in to get my beer. Watch your asses out there, dipshits are trying to kill you.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

many women are competent drivers

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

right arm posted:

many women are competent drivers

Go back to ADVRider

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jazzzzz posted:

Hopped on the hack rig to go down to the corner store and pick up a couple of 6 packs for football watching this afternoon. Old lady in a CR-V with her decrepit mother in the passenger seat starts to pull out from the pumps and nearly runs into the back end of my bike after I've passed by her on the way to a parking spot. I saw her start to pull out, juked to the right while cursing, and continued to park.

"EXCUSE ME! YOU NEED TO WATCH OUT, I ALMOST HIT YOU!" Old lady yelling out her window while her mother death glares at me. Wouldn't have been her fault for pulling into me from a dead stop because she didn't look where she was going, no siree. I loving teleported in front of her. Did you hear what just came out of your mouth, lady? YOU almost hit ME. Why am I catching a lecture?

Just took off my helmet, said "yes ma'am, have a good weekend" and went in to get my beer. Watch your asses out there, dipshits are trying to kill you.

Thanks, I hate it.

Really impressed with your not escalating that. Some heroic self control there. Stuff like this is why I've maybe ridden 300 miles max this YEAR. :sigh: Afraid to get on the bike until hospitals go back to normal.

EDIT: After this post I went out and washed the bike, did chain maintenance, and took it for a ride. :woop:

Coydog fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 10, 2021

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://i.imgur.com/NTfA6LO.mp4

hell is other motorists

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why don't you go faster than the cars...?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I don't want a speeding ticket.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

loving end me now. Finally putting my swingarm and rear suspension back together and I’m missing two weird spacer plates. I’m 100% certain I said “hey I’ll just put them here so I don’t lose them” two days ago but I turned the shop upside down and they’re nowhere to be found.

I can order a new set from Suzuki dealer but goddamn this is M A D D E N I N G

I might as well look through the reassembly instructions to see if I’m missing anything else, if I have to go put in an order :sigh:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Go to bed and look again tomorrow before you order the parts.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

For sure. I’m like 100% certain I wouldn’t have thrown them out, they’re not something I was expecting to be in the replacement kit. I’m also 100% certain they’re right under my nose.

If I have to pay fifteen to twenty canadian dollars to replace each one, I’m going to go bananas.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

For sure. I’m like 100% certain I wouldn’t have thrown them out, they’re not something I was expecting to be in the replacement kit. I’m also 100% certain they’re right under my nose.

If I have to pay fifteen to twenty canadian dollars to replace each one, I’m going to go bananas.

They are in your toolbox

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m still saving for a good single toolbox so if they are they’re in one of the twenty individual plastic boxes containing the tools :ohdear:

Well I looked through probably ten of them so I’ll check the rest tomorrow. If you see my make a “well i put my swingarm together” post in the “what did you do today” thread just assume that they were someplace so stupid that I’m too ashamed to post about it.

If you see me posting about my swingarm in two weeks you can safely assume I had to order the part :(

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

They're under the shop manual

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Why wouldn't they just pass in the left lane that was completely open?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Finger Prince posted:

They're under the shop manual

You joke but I literally just got out of bed after I read this, went outside and turned the lights on in the shed and shook out the manual to be sure.

They weren’t, but that was actually a good guess.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

Why wouldn't they just pass in the left lane that was completely open?

Truck in that lane wasn't going fast enough to suit them.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Martytoof posted:

You joke but I literally just got out of bed after I read this, went outside and turned the lights on in the shed and shook out the manual to be sure.

They weren’t, but that was actually a good guess.

Would have freaked me the hell out if they were though!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
As someone with a lifetime experience of being an idiot and losing things from tiny irreplaceable screws to an entire 5U full-depth server[1] this way, I've found the best thing to do is pin/tape everything to a bit of scrap paper or card, with what it is clearly labeled and the component traced around. Also mark on the card if you end up having to use a second card and where you put that.

This is particularly handy if you do it in the order you take stuff out so you know what way it all goes back together.

[1] I did actually find it and it wasn't "lost" through my own stupidity, a colleague helpfully wheeled it off to a secure area because I'd left it out while I went to get the big lift needed to help me put it in the rack, but as far as he knew some idiot had just left a massive trip hazard just laying around. Twat didn't think to tell me when he first saw me standing there swearing and convinced I *had* somehow just forgotten where I'd put 50 kilos of metal, and only put two and two together when I reappeared with security for the data centre because I had to assume that it had been stolen from the shared data centre we were in.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Why don't you go faster than the cars...?

I always feel like I'm speeding, but there are usually cars passing me, especially on the highway here (75mph limit, but real pace is like 80-85). I just don't want to go that fast sometimes especially between big 18 wheelers.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Now I'm picturing twisto in the victorian data mines, covered in soot, smashing huge server slabs into place with a giant mallet and lubing all the network cables with an oil dripper.

E: on small bikes it's one thing but being on a big bike and somehow getting passed by a car is so, so foreign and strange to me that you may as well be riding on mars. What's even the point??

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Prior to that clip I had been doing 12-15 over in the left lane and there were still people behind me. When I could I switched back to the right lane and slowed a bit with the idea of letting faster traffic pass.

I get that I'm a pussy for letting cagers pass me but I don't really see the point of risking a huge speeding ticket on a boring highway to prevent it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

I always feel like I'm speeding, but there are usually cars passing me, especially on the highway here (75mph limit, but real pace is like 80-85). I just don't want to go that fast sometimes especially between big 18 wheelers.

To be honest passing semis/box trucks/HGVs is the one time I think speeding is totally appropriate and worth the risk of getting pulled over. I think if you sped up, passed, then slowed back down to the pace of traffic, you'd just be having some bad luck if a cop wanted to ticket you over it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

A few years ago I lost my engine mount bolts. I got some new ones with a set of crash bars I was installing so no big deal. About a year and some change later, I went to put some parts in my Berrymans chemical dip bucket and found them in the dunk basket.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

One time I replaced the window wiper mechanism on a Hilux and lost my 12mm spanner.

I put off replacing it for so long, eventually the Hilux came back for a service six months later and there it was, sitting on the cowl just under the bonnet line.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

FBS posted:

Prior to that clip I had been doing 12-15 over in the left lane and there were still people behind me. When I could I switched back to the right lane and slowed a bit with the idea of letting faster traffic pass.

I get that I'm a pussy for letting cagers pass me but I don't really see the point of risking a huge speeding ticket on a boring highway to prevent it.

I have learned that no matter how fast you go, you'll always get a white F350 a yard off your rear tire with the driver drumming his fingers on the loving steering wheel

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

E: on small bikes it's one thing but being on a big bike and somehow getting passed by a car is so, so foreign and strange to me that you may as well be riding on mars. What's even the point??

Yeah but you live in a country where the average car is a 1.2L Volkswagen or something.

In America you can be going 80 mph in the left lane and in no time you'll have a stack of angry Karens in 300-horsepower full-size SUVs behind you trying to go 90.

Also riding fast on the interstate sucks. It's just noisier and the only benefit is that you get to leave the interstate sooner. If I feel like going 55 I'm going to ride 55 and everyone around me can gently caress off.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 15, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Now I'm picturing twisto in the victorian data mines, covered in soot, smashing huge server slabs into place with a giant mallet and lubing all the network cables with an oil dripper.

You're not too far off the mark, which is why I'm very much confined to the office nowadays and have to ask permission in writing before so much as plugging in a fibre. You black out the entire country's internet for an hour just the once and you're branded for life.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah but you live in a country where the average car is a 1.2L Volkswagen or something.

In America you can be going 80 mph in the left lane and in no time you'll have a stack of angry Karens in 300-horsepower full-size SUVs behind you trying to go 90.

Also riding fast on the interstate sucks. It's just noisier and the only benefit is that you get to leave the interstate sooner. If I feel like going 55 I'm going to ride 55 and everyone around me can gently caress off.

Yeah this could have happened while riding at 80, 90, 100. Modern cars are disturbingly easy to drive at high speeds and if that wine-mom or weed-dad in a Yukon XL has the angst and ability to pass you they will. These days I'll do whatever needs to be done to get away from hyper aggressive drivers; slow down, pull over, just do whatever you can to create space. poo poo's going feral out there and behavior is really unpredictable, don't tempt fate.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

To be honest passing semis/box trucks/HGVs is the one time I think speeding is totally appropriate and worth the risk of getting pulled over. I think if you sped up, passed, then slowed back down to the pace of traffic, you'd just be having some bad luck if a cop wanted to ticket you over it.

I agree, if it's clear ahead I'll wring the lil mt03 for all it's got to get away from semis. My local situation on the 17 is it's a divided interstate with two lanes on each side with a ton of semi traffic so often several semis just get stacked up in both lanes offset and create a rolling block. And cars love to tail gate semis because car drivers have poor risk management I guess. So I just slow down to get a pocket of empty highway around me as much as I can not filled with steel boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You're not too far off the mark, which is why I'm very much confined to the office nowadays and have to ask permission in writing before so much as plugging in a fibre. You black out the entire country's internet for an hour just the once and you're branded for life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vywf48Dhyns