Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Seriously, you give someone your advantage to build trust (which I already think is stupid), it doesn't burn you, and you manage to get it back due to a lucky discussion after the previous vote. Then that same person, freaking out and being totally unstable, asks for it back and you GIVE IT TO THEM? Jesus J.D.

What happened is what I would assume would happen every time. You're giving up your advantage to someone and they only way they get to keep it is if they vote you out, which they can now do, because you gave away your advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Raxivace posted:

I feel bad for JD but he was real, real bad at Survivor.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Good episode! Sad for JD though. Not usually a fan of throwing challenges, but that one was fun.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Deshawn really is confessional gold. Dude is so likeable.

I feel bad for JD because he was obviously passionate but to echo everyone else, he was so so very bad at the game. I really can't put my finger on one correct move he made (that wasn't dumb luck w him getting the extra vote).

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
His instincts were so close to right ("she really made me feel lovely for not sharing information, and I didn't like it!") but ended up so so wrong ("I think she really trusts me now!").

I honestly thought at the beginning of the episode he might use the extra vote with Genie and take out Shan. Love Shan, but that'd have been awesome. He had to know he was #3 in that group.

Great episode, great season.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Popero posted:

His instincts were so close to right ("she really made me feel lovely for not sharing information, and I didn't like it!") but ended up so so wrong ("I think she really trusts me now!").
"shes normally so smart and good at this game but today shes really a paranoid mess!"

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Thank you for a good episode, mr probst and cbs. please, ten more.

also lmao good luck throwing a challenge when Naseer is around. look at the size of his traps holy poo poo that man is a truck

Also I love that they took a few minutes to compose a version of Shan’s Mischief Theme and that we got to revisit it

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
JD's just a 20 year old kid, just like Erik Reichenbach he needs some good ol' life experience. Shame it had to happen getting humiliated on national TV, I hope he doesn't take his stint on Survivor too hard. Dalton Ross said in his recap that he's talked to many Survivors over the years who got mentally hosed up after the game, and he's worried JD might be one of those:

quote:

That has to be a difficult blow for anyone. It has to be even harder for a 20-year-old. And it has to be even harder for a 20-year-old who lives and breathes the game and talks about how Survivor saved him and made him who he is today and how he had dreamt time and time again about playing. I have talked to many former contestants in my Quarantine Questionnaires and elsewhere who came into the game like JD and came out really struggling mentally and emotionally after the real-life experience in the game did not match their sky-high expectations.

"To be out of the game I dreamt of playing my entire life, it sucks," said JD. "It sucks so bad. At least my hair looks cool." The hair line was funny, as he's trying not to be a Debbie Downer here, but it's clear the dude was bummed. And I totally get it. I really, really hope JD will not let this early exit get to him. I hope he is not embarrassed by his performance. I hope he is not crushed that his dreams came crashing down all around him — and on national television, no less.

https://ew.com/tv/recaps/survivor-season-41-episode-4/

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
How do players keep making that mistake? Especially self-described superfans.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
This was a really good episode. Between Shan and Sydney we've got some good potential villains, and between Liana and Naseer we've got some good potential heroes.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

freeman posted:

How do players keep making that mistake? Especially self-described superfans.

Stress, excitement, hunger, fatigue, social pressure, etc

ESPECIALLY if you fancy yourself a star player

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

The Bloop posted:

Stress, excitement, hunger, fatigue, social pressure, etc

ESPECIALLY if you fancy yourself a star player

And delusion is a thing.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Not sure I think Shan made the best move there. Like yeah netting the extra vote is a power move and made for good TV, but JD struck me as the perfect non-threat to string along: loyal, earnest, and terrible at Survivor, but likely not in the sort of loose cannon way that would undermine an alliance. I don't think he would have been able to orchestrate any sort of high level deception against Shan/Ricard, who seemed to have a really good read on him from the get-go. Maybe Genie's really in their pocket now but she's a very loose loose end with a possible tribe shakeup looming.

Was the failed challenge sabotage a Survivor first?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

SweetJahasus posted:

Deshawn really is confessional gold. Dude is so likeable.

Yeah, I feel like there hasn't been much focus on his tribe since they haven't lost yet. I was really entertained by him tonight.

Probably the best episode of the season so far, although it's only been 4 episodes. No dumb island expedition to focus half the episode on a dumb twist nobody understands helped certainly.

Edit: Also, it seems like we're getting a lot of challenges involving tossing a ball and having it stay in place.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 14, 2021

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Vernacular posted:

Was the failed challenge sabotage a Survivor first?

Nope! Has happened a few times. I think it's usually cut from the show but I can remember it happened notably in Cagayan episode 3.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
still catching up on ep... Does intentional throw ever go well? I remember it a few times, or half-attempts where maybe only some people threw, but I feel like it's a short-sighted move in most cases? I suppose there strategically would be points where it could help, but without knowing when merges come or whatever, seems like often going to cut off options come merge... but then some of those options you want cut off asap... hmmm

edit: ahahaha blue trying so hard to lose and everyone else just so much slower while trying hard. Yes, I love this failure to fail.

Awww bummer JD went home so soon, I think you want that kind of guy around later in the game to take advantage of. but also an easy scheme to get a free advantage is pretty hard to pass up.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 14, 2021

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Assuming he's telling the truth, JD's exit interviews make him look a lot better. He tried to get Genie to go with a plan to get out either Ricard or Shan using his extra vote, but she wouldn't go for it. Apparently she's content being the distant third in her dying tribe???

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Didn't Colton's tribe throw a challenge and vote him out early on his second appearance?

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Otteration posted:

Didn't Colton's tribe throw a challenge and vote him out early on his second appearance?

I'm pretty sure he's just a quitter.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Supposedly Tyson and Aras wanted to throw a challenge to get Colton out, but couldn’t successfully throw it. Then Colton just quit the next day anyways.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

curiousCat posted:

Nope! Has happened a few times. I think it's usually cut from the show but I can remember it happened notably in Cagayan episode 3.

That still makes me smile thinking about it due to the challenge and who they were trying to throw to get out. Was just too perfect.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I wish they had said MONEY! when he walked out.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Khanstant posted:

still catching up on ep... Does intentional throw ever go well? I remember it a few times, or half-attempts where maybe only some people threw, but I feel like it's a short-sighted move in most cases? I suppose there strategically would be points where it could help, but without knowing when merges come or whatever, seems like often going to cut off options come merge... but then some of those options you want cut off asap... hmmm

edit: ahahaha blue trying so hard to lose and everyone else just so much slower while trying hard. Yes, I love this failure to fail.

Awww bummer JD went home so soon, I think you want that kind of guy around later in the game to take advantage of. but also an easy scheme to get a free advantage is pretty hard to pass up.
I feel throwing challenges has almost always been the worst possible move. My personal head-canon theory is that most players who want to throw a challenge are just really cbf about the effort to win, etc. But they say it's about getting a certain player out. Alternatively, it could also be a move to show in-group loyalty i.e. "i hate this guy who much I'm willing to throw the challenge!!". But I don't think it's ever a good tactical move, more of a thing players do when they are under heat and stress and aren't on a couch playing isometrically.

Fallen One
May 1, 2007

" Whoa! Death? He's come for me!... Death is sleeping too..."

Lampsacus posted:

I feel throwing challenges has almost always been the worst possible move. My personal head-canon theory is that most players who want to throw a challenge are just really cbf about the effort to win, etc. But they say it's about getting a certain player out. Alternatively, it could also be a move to show in-group loyalty i.e. "i hate this guy who much I'm willing to throw the challenge!!". But I don't think it's ever a good tactical move, more of a thing players do when they are under heat and stress and aren't on a couch playing isometrically.

It usually isn't a good move but I really think Deshawn had a point when he said something to the effect of "if we go into the merge 6 strong, yellow and green are going to team up to take us all out"

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Fallen One posted:

It usually isn't a good move but I really think Deshawn had a point when he said something to the effect of "if we go into the merge 6 strong, yellow and green are going to team up to take us all out"

That might be worth a mention if the same thing wouldn't happen with 5.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Also the merge in theory won't be happening soon. If anything they should want to maintain their numbers for the first mixup. Even if there's some prior discord I feel like players tend to stick with their original tribal affiliations at that point.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Vernacular posted:

Also the merge in theory won't be happening soon. If anything they should want to maintain their numbers for the first mixup. Even if there's some prior discord I feel like players tend to stick with their original tribal affiliations at that point.

It seems like a mixup is pretty unlikely at this point unless they are going to merge pretty late... Already down to 13 Survivors. Which kind of makes thinking they need to lose 1 of their 6 to keep the numbers in a 12 or fewer player merge an interesting theory...

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It seems like a mixup is pretty unlikely at this point unless they are going to merge pretty late... Already down to 13 Survivors. Which kind of makes thinking they need to lose 1 of their 6 to keep the numbers in a 12 or fewer player merge an interesting theory...

I had it wrong and thought they were at 14 now, so yeah maybe they go straight to the merge at this point. But I’d personally still prefer a swap to screw with the dynamics beforehand, even if it means only 10 or 11 people post-merge.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sb3ptIvn0g

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Isn't the usual play a merge to two tribes first? Either producers straight up define them like last season or random buff draw.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Sighence posted:

Isn't the usual play a merge to two tribes first? Either producers straight up define them like last season or random buff draw.

They've done that a lot, but I'm pretty sure Jeff said there will be no swap this year, just the one tribal merge. He keeps stressing how it's a back to basics season.

Except for, you know, all the absurd twists and advantages that nobody quite understands.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Only when three parts of a phrase are said at a challenge will a merge be

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sounds like some racist rear end in a top hat attacked Michelle Yi from Survivor Fiji.

https://twitter.com/murtzjaffer/status/1449555788306001920

The gently caress is wrong with people?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Hi, its me the guy who watched every fifth season or so. I watched way more of the early season but haven't seen much, if any, of the newer stuff. Is Winners At War a solid time?

(thanks to paramout plus I'm watching Survivor Australia and its a drat great time. Super corny theme song, I've missed you)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Is Winners At War a solid time?

I enjoyed it!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Hi, its me the guy who watched every fifth season or so. I watched way more of the early season but haven't seen much, if any, of the newer stuff. Is Winners At War a solid time?

It's very watchable (minor spoilers about season format below)

some of the gameplay is pretty unimpressive (especially from winners), and edge of extinction sucks 20 minutes out of every episode and kind of blows the finale up. that said it's in my top 10, certainly.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Narcissus1916 posted:

It's probably better if you've seen every season, so that you know each of the characters' stories, explaining why it was such a huge deal that some people got voted out so early, and a shock that others made it as far as they did.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Domenick threw a challenge to take out Bradley premerge and that worked well for him. Stephen/Jeremy semi-threw to take out Monica Padilla.

Possibly less long-term successful but wasnt there throwing in China? I think the scenario where there’s just been a swap and your friend is trapped in a minority and screwed, but if you throw you can vote out a number from the other side going into merge can be pretty enticing…

In RI did they throw to take out Russell?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Fast Luck posted:

Possibly less long-term successful but wasnt there throwing in China?

Yes. Jamie and Peih Gee, IIRC, threw a puzzle challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Raxivace posted:

Sounds like some racist rear end in a top hat attacked Michelle Yi from Survivor Fiji.

https://twitter.com/murtzjaffer/status/1449555788306001920

The gently caress is wrong with people?
https://people.com/crime/survivor-fiji-contestant-michelle-yi-attacked-stabbed-santa-monica/

more details here, apparently it was a homeless person that had attacked two other people earlier in the day