Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Powered Descent posted:

Oh yeah, those things.

I swear they're scientifically designed to get uncomfortable after about ten minutes, to keep people from camping in them all day. There still aren't nearly enough of them scattered around. (Or weren't, anyway, I haven't seen the office in a year and a half.)

I wonder how many people go in there just to drop mad farts and then leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Let one out that reverberates off the polycarbonate walls and amplifies to shake the whole floor. One that leaves condensation dripping down the window and makes the laminate curl off the plywood desk.

Assert your dominance.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Capital Letdown posted:

Reporter #2 : Drederick, ah, what do you think of Homer Simpson?

Drederick Tatum : I think he's a good man. I like him. I got nothing against him, but I'm definitely gonna make orphans of his children.

Reporter #3 : Uh, you know, they do have a mother, Champ?

Drederick Tatum : Yes, but I would imagine that she would die of grief.

Wasn’t quite as exact as I remembered but still pretty shockingly close!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1ymvD6yW1U

Incredible. I thought he was just an unhinged nutjob. Turns out he was an unhinged nutjob with a good knowledge of Simpsons quotes.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Nocheez posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1ymvD6yW1U

Incredible. I thought he was just an unhinged nutjob. Turns out he was an unhinged nutjob with a good knowledge of Simpsons quotes.

you ran into a IRL comic book guy

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 14, 2021

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I hate my job but it's not because of anything happening at the company. I just hate working.

I don’t hate working per se, but working for someone else until you retire or die is some absolute bullshit.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Powered Descent posted:

Oh yeah, those things.

I swear they're scientifically designed to get uncomfortable after about ten minutes, to keep people from camping in them all day. There still aren't nearly enough of them scattered around. (Or weren't, anyway, I haven't seen the office in a year and a half.)

they’re also a little too small for a computer so if you have a video call you’re poo poo out of luck

Also someone put chairs in the ones in my clients office and it doesn’t fit right

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Wednesday:  Someone calls a bomb threat in to the building.  We find out about this from our department manager, who looks very sympathetic but also tired and helpless, telling us that we "can leave the building if you like, but it'll get counted against your lunch hour."  The biggest disappointment of the day is that no bomb is found on the premises.

Can't believe we just breezed past this gem. What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck???

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Not getting exploded is a leisure activity.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
boss makes a dollar
Ted Kaczynski does a crime
that's why I got blown up
during my lunch time

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Coucho Marx posted:

boss makes a dollar
during my lunch time

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Coucho Marx posted:

boss makes a dollar
during my lunch time

:holymoley:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Coucho Marx posted:

boss makes a dollar
during my lunch time

:captainpop:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I met up with a former coworker from the lovely brewery I worked at with the lovely cheapskate owner who works his employees to death and doesn't pay for poo poo.

Apparently they tried to hire some people to help their head brewer (who's trying to jump ship himself) out in the brewery. Nobody applied because nobody wants to work for the owner. Lol.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Escape From Noise posted:

I met up with a former coworker from the lovely brewery I worked at with the lovely cheapskate owner who works his employees to death and doesn't pay for poo poo.

Apparently they tried to hire some people to help their head brewer (who's trying to jump ship himself) out in the brewery. Nobody applied because nobody wants to work for the owner. Lol.

sickos.jpg

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I use "at a high level" to describe what my boss thinks I do to his boss. It's easier than throwing my boss under the bus, since he leaves me alone to do what I want, and doesn't put him in the weird place of having to explain anything to his boss.
Thus, we all keep getting paid.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sormus posted:

This issue has been forwarded to our Site Manager, highest ranking dude outside of Corp HQ as far as we are concerned, by the employees. The employees argued this is in direct violation with our company's stated goal of minimizing CO2 emissions. This middle-manager is going under a bus and he doesn't even know it.

You realize that this is a marketing "goal", not an actual management target goal, yes?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Volmarias posted:

You realize that this is a marketing "goal", not an actual management target goal, yes?

Next you're going to tell me they don't actually consider me family.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

Next you're going to tell me they don't actually consider me family.

Please join my class action lawsuit against The Olive Garden.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Olanphonia posted:

Can't believe we just breezed past this gem. What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck???

Let me top that one, actually.

Our old office was in a larger building with a bar/restaurant on the ground floor, with us on the top floor. That bar got a bomb threat called in and was evacuated. Nobody thought to tell us until a coworker went downstairs and ran into a bunch of cops and firemen who were aghast that there were still people in the building.

Unfortunately that poo poo-rear end bar didn't get blown up either.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Volmarias posted:

Yes..
We just sorta want to see him explain how ignoring our El Presidente's stated goal for this year is fine.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Powered Descent posted:

Oh yeah, those things.

It seems to me that the over-arching goal of office spaces seems to be to make people wish they weren't there. I mean when I was a kid visiting my dad at work so many people had offices, then when I went to work at a corporate job there were cubes. After a while they did away with the cubes and made "bullpens". Now there aren't even cubes, just rows of tables with people sitting next to each other, even managers and senior people.

It's probably one of the big reasons people want to work at home.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Got some new critical equipment being installed this weekend and it's been engraved wrong. Buncha cowboys!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I conned my company to give me a $3k macbook pro instead of the lovely standard HP's because "The built in terminal is more robust than Putty".

Yeah i know the M1's are around the corner, but I don't control the budget- just control trying to fleece them out of it

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Local Weather posted:

It seems to me that the over-arching goal of office spaces seems to be to make people wish they weren't there. I mean when I was a kid visiting my dad at work so many people had offices, then when I went to work at a corporate job there were cubes. After a while they did away with the cubes and made "bullpens". Now there aren't even cubes, just rows of tables with people sitting next to each other, even managers and senior people.

I'm so glad it's not (yet) that bad where I am.

When I first saw Rita Ora's Your Song video, I thought she was just making use of a corridor and just shoved business type extras in there to fill in space. Turns out, that's literally how a lot of people work now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsELrcVNzG0&t=80s

Seems like a living nightmare. Find an uncomfortable stool at a bench, plug in your laptop and spend the next 8 hours wishing you were dead.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thats my secret cap, I wish I was dead wherever I'm working

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Barudak posted:

Thats my secret cap, I wish I was dead wherever I'm working

Hard same.

Today is 89 pallets of soap day. I am not looking forward to running the office by myself while everyone else is shipping stuff.

They won't let me go in the warehouse because one time, when the boss stacked stuff too high, it fell over on me and dislocated my shoulder. The fear of getting sued is stronger than efficient and safe work practices.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Mormon Nailer posted:

Hard same.

Today is 89 pallets of soap day. I am not looking forward to running the office by myself while everyone else is shipping stuff.

They won't let me go in the warehouse because one time, when the boss stacked stuff too high, it fell over on me and dislocated my shoulder. The fear of getting sued is stronger than efficient and safe work practices.

Why didn't you sue them that time?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mormon Nailer posted:

Hard same.

Ahahaha. At Amazon it's almost as bad. We have an on-site injury office that's absolutely great if you're at either end of the injury spectrum. On one end of the spectrum if you've got a sprain or a splinter or are overheating they'll take care of you. On the other end of the spectrum they hire burnt out EMTs so if they get a call that you're having a stroke or a heart attack they'll be running full speed across the warehouse to try to save you (at least at my warehouse they will, your level of service my vary site to site).

If you end up in the middle on worker's comp that's where the bullshit comes in. If you ever declare worker's comp for an injury, they cannot, will not ever treat that part of you again. I hosed up my shoulder clearing a jam wrong over 2 years ago (I like to say I lost an arm wrestling contest against a conveyor belt) and had to take a couple weeks off with pain meds and muscle relaxers and then was on light duty for a couple of months. Go in just wanting some ice on my shoulder after that and nope. No can do boss. I declared worker's comp so they can never touch my shoulder again unless I get what is unquestionably a new injury (like I end up with a piece of metal impaled through it). Why? Because legal is afraid you'll sue.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Local Weather posted:

It's become more and more evident that the "need" to work IN office is so management or whoever can "keep an eye on you" despite the fact that if you actually weren't working, your tasks wouldn't get finished and they'd find out then. But the idea of someone NOT constantly doing busy work while on the clock is just too much!

I do contact tracing for this community college, and one of the perks was that I got an office with a door. I'm only a temp, and the door is only because I'm usually on the phone talking to students/faculty about health information. Also, if you have a closed door you don't have to wear your mask all day. So naturally, I had been coming in and just shutting my door pretty much all day.

Starting last week, it got a bit slower and I'll have less calls in a day. So my boss, the HR director, just casually left my door open one day and said "we're gonna leave this open today." I didn't think much of it the first time, then the next Monday she opened it again and said "we'll just leave this open now, it was only closed because you were making phone calls." So now, whenever I get a call or need to make one, I have to get up and walk around my desk and close the door. Presumably, to just get up and open it again when the call is done. I don't interact with anyone in the department other than my boss, so there's no reason I need to be viewable and "accessible" to anyone else. Now when I'm not busy, I just have to sit there and stare at my monitor because heaven forbid anyone ever get the perception that I'm not constantly working during the 8 hours I'm stuck there and not at home. (So I've started reading free old books on Gutenberg) And no, no one else in the office needs extra help or anything so it's not like when I'm slow I can just "go ask for more work."

I am 100% convinced some nosy rear end in a top hat complained or "just noticed" that I had my door closed often. God drat I loving hate offices.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Grimdude posted:

It's become more and more evident that the "need" to work IN office is so management or whoever can "keep an eye on you" despite the fact that if you actually weren't working, your tasks wouldn't get finished and they'd find out then. But the idea of someone NOT constantly doing busy work while on the clock is just too much!

I do contact tracing for this community college, and one of the perks was that I got an office with a door. I'm only a temp, and the door is only because I'm usually on the phone talking to students/faculty about health information. Also, if you have a closed door you don't have to wear your mask all day. So naturally, I had been coming in and just shutting my door pretty much all day.

Starting last week, it got a bit slower and I'll have less calls in a day. So my boss, the HR director, just casually left my door open one day and said "we're gonna leave this open today." I didn't think much of it the first time, then the next Monday she opened it again and said "we'll just leave this open now, it was only closed because you were making phone calls." So now, whenever I get a call or need to make one, I have to get up and walk around my desk and close the door. Presumably, to just get up and open it again when the call is done. I don't interact with anyone in the department other than my boss, so there's no reason I need to be viewable and "accessible" to anyone else. Now when I'm not busy, I just have to sit there and stare at my monitor because heaven forbid anyone ever get the perception that I'm not constantly working during the 8 hours I'm stuck there and not at home. (So I've started reading free old books on Gutenberg) And no, no one else in the office needs extra help or anything so it's not like when I'm slow I can just "go ask for more work."

I am 100% convinced some nosy rear end in a top hat complained or "just noticed" that I had my door closed often. God drat I loving hate offices.

You're a temp, work is slowing, and you need to be looking for a new job. Quit licking boot and jam the door with a chair and yell 'no we aren't' at her while you fill out applications.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
the benefit of office spaces for managers is being able to interrupt you at any time to divert your attention to what your manager deems a higher priority need

in the office, it's hard to avoid this because, well, they're loving standing there. the social pressure forces you to switch gears. but, when you're at home, you can just ignore calls and keep going and claim you were just 'head's down'.

personally, I like this and feel like it's given people more freedom and autonomy and people have actually become better workers, but to a certain type of manager that needs to be constantly triaging things and re-prioritizing needs (which is in itself exhausting), they can get very annoyed when they don't have that immediate response power and someone decides to work on X when they need Y.

it doesn't help that occasionally someone does make a really bad decision to disappear, or work on something that really isn't needed right now, justifying the manager's arguments they need to be controlling folks. if you want the most freedom - be smart and keep in touch with your managers, people. do not give anyone the ammo to say you're not responsive enough or not keeping in touch, that is when the iron grip comes.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

If my temp agency is to believed, which I'm not sure they are, they're supposed to be actively prepared for when this position is close to ending.

The thing is, workflow is entirely determined by how many people get sick, with or without covid. In other words, as long as covid is active this job will be. But either way, they need a body in there to answer the calls, record the information, and give out return-to-campus dates. So even if only one person calls in, they'd still want me in there 8 hours for whenever that call happens. Plus to send out the end of day reports to the deans and poo poo.

I am looking yes, but I am also in a tiny metro-ish area between Iowa and Illinois where job hunting is absolute trash. Temp agencies just run rampant here so you basically have to play with them unless you want to spend like five months looking for work that isn't 11.00/hr to do all of an office's administrative duties..

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
They're going to keep you at arms length forever, their interests are spending the least money possible, which means only committing to having you in the office at the latest possible moment, when it's absolutely clear they'll need someone. it's always going to be drip, drip, drip for work. as long as you put up with it, they'll keep you around, but from their perspective you're just one in a sea of temps and they have no reason to commit to you. sorry friend.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Grimdude posted:

If my temp agency is to believed, which I'm not sure they are, they're supposed to be actively prepared for when this position is close to ending.

The thing is, workflow is entirely determined by how many people get sick, with or without covid. In other words, as long as covid is active this job will be. But either way, they need a body in there to answer the calls, record the information, and give out return-to-campus dates. So even if only one person calls in, they'd still want me in there 8 hours for whenever that call happens. Plus to send out the end of day reports to the deans and poo poo.

I am looking yes, but I am also in a tiny metro-ish area between Iowa and Illinois where job hunting is absolute trash. Temp agencies just run rampant here so you basically have to play with them unless you want to spend like five months looking for work that isn't 11.00/hr to do all of an office's administrative duties..

Hit up tri-state metals. The supply chains are all hosed up and they might need someone experienced in tracking material movements and ensuring the timely communication of any issues

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

Not to mention, around when I started this two months ago they filled any vacancies they had in my department. So two full-time employees started like a couple days after I did as a temp. Completely shattering any illusion that there might ever be a position at this company after the contract ends.

Like yes I know the goon sentiment is to basically alienate everyone in their lives and be as confrontational as possible with superiors, but as I said in the last bit of my post before this, the other options are to starve or work a significantly worse job for less pay.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
No one is saying to alienate your employer, we're saying continuing to hold out hope that this temp agency is going to be the thing that saves you and gets you a stable gig is likely going to keep hurting you. Keep working there but mentally let go of caring about what they do, start looking for something else. Trying to find 'logic' or 'reasoning' in the reality that they're just not going to hire you is only going to make you constantly anxious looking for signs of rejection (or acceptance) and feeling lovely about yourself when you see other people achieving what you are aiming for.

I say this as someone who has 'permalanced' somewhere for a year-and-a-half hoping they'd hire me on as staff and ignoring all the blatant signs it was never going to happen. I invested waaaay too much blood, sweat, and tears trying to convince people who clearly didn't want me to hire me. Don't follow my path, friend. Nothing makes you feel more pathetic than sitting in a cocktail dress crying at your desk working alone while the rest of the office attends their annual holiday party that you thought you were invited to but it turns out they just wanted you to work through.

EDIT: Also, the work I did during that holiday party ended up meaning nothing because the person on the other end decided it was the holidays and gently caress it, they're not going to finish this stuff out. So they called me in to frantically do this stuff during the holidays that could have waited until January. Ugh what a goddamn idiot I was to try and keep working there for so long. You do not want these regrets!

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 15, 2021

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Batterypowered7 posted:

I wonder how many people go in there just to drop mad farts and then leave.

*nervously looks around*

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Grimdude posted:

I am looking yes, but I am also in a tiny metro-ish area between Iowa and Illinois where job hunting is absolute trash.

The Mississippi River is a pretty small job market have you considered broadening your search to include land

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The Mississippi River is a pretty small job market have you considered broadening your search to include land

Maybe they have really good riverboat experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

BOOTY-ADE posted:

*nervously looks around*

I only said it because I totally would.