Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I stole a donald duck comic when I was a kid and it was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hyphenated names are aesthetically the most disgusting thing. Keep your own name, take your spouses, hell combine the names like Tanner Greenring did, just don't awkwardly jam two names together. It never sounds right.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

PHUO: Grocery stores should never change their layout. No rearrangement of grocery sections has ever been an improvement on what it was before.

It's largely done to force shoppers to search for items they regularly buy in the hopes they will see new things and impulse buy them, instead of being able to walk in and directly get to exactly what they want. It's not intended as an improvement, it's intended to make your life harder in the pursuit of unnecessary consumption and profit.

Which is to say, I agree with your PHUO completely.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tiggum posted:

I'm pretty sure most people have committed multiple crimes - on purpose. They're just the kinds of crimes that people think don't really count (unless someone else is doing them). Like speeding; littering; being drunk in public; letting your dog bark all day; swearing on a train; etc.

Speeding isn’t a crime in many jurisdictions, or at least it isn’t till you get to Cannonball numbers. You can be fined for it as a civil offense, but it carries no criminal penalties.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not sold on juggalos. The forums have decided they're cool now, but it's basically because the gathering documentaries show the happy drunks and cut the angry drunks. They want to say "hey these are the nice kind of dumbasses," when really they're just regular dumbasses; I've known some. There are just as many racist and sexist shitheads as you would find in any dirty trash strewn campground carnival, we just want to pretend there isn't. It's false hope

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

hawowanlawow posted:

I'm not sold on juggalos. The forums have decided they're cool now, but it's basically because the gathering documentaries show the happy drunks and cut the angry drunks. They want to say "hey these are the nice kind of dumbasses," when really they're just regular dumbasses; I've known some. There are just as many racist and sexist shitheads as you would find in any dirty trash strewn campground carnival, we just want to pretend there isn't. It's false hope

This but for every group of human beings gathering under a common identity

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Tiggum posted:

I'm pretty sure most people have committed multiple crimes - on purpose. They're just the kinds of crimes that people think don't really count (unless someone else is doing them). Like speeding; littering; being drunk in public; letting your dog bark all day; swearing on a train; etc.

If you ever got one of those little fm transmitters that let you listen to your mp3 player in your car before Bluetooth, you committed many crimes in just about every country on the planet.

I think I saw somewhere that in the US there are approximately half a million laws between the federal and all the states, it is literally impossible for a person to know them all and never break one.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I break several laws every single day because I consume prescription medication without a prescription. I do this because I can’t afford to get the medicine I need through legit means, so I buy it illegally.

But that’s a small price to pay for living in the best country in the world!

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Robobot posted:

I break several laws every single day because I consume prescription medication without a prescription. I do this because I can’t afford to get the medicine I need through legit means, so I buy it illegally.

But that’s a small price to pay for living in the best country in the world!

As the founding fathers intended :911:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Gaius Marius posted:

Hyphenated names are aesthetically the most disgusting thing. Keep your own name, take your spouses, hell combine the names like Tanner Greenring did, just don't awkwardly jam two names together. It never sounds right.

Jokes on you, the awkwardly jammed together double-barrell name my wife and I have bequeathed on our children doesn't have a hyphen!

Which seems to be the way its done now - I swear there's about 3 kids in my eldest's kinder class with non-hyphenated hyphenated names.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
It should be illegal to advertise delivery faster than half an hour. And that half an hour limit should only be for cooked food. Everything else should have a 48 hour limit. It should be illegal to advertise delivery faster than 48 hours for anything that isn't cooked food.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Gripweed posted:

It should be illegal to advertise delivery faster than half an hour. And that half an hour limit should only be for cooked food. Everything else should have a 48 hour limit. It should be illegal to advertise delivery faster than 48 hours for anything that isn't cooked food.

What?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gripweed posted:

Okay, I'll bite. Any particular reasoning behind this?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Try reading the post again, that might clarify things

Powered Descent posted:

Okay, I'll bite. Any particular reasoning behind this?

Because it's a loving nightmare for the workers. Because it forces people to work long hours nonstop to reach the quotas that are necessary to make 24 hour delivery possible. Because 15 minute delivery for food or groceries sets workers up for failure because if literally anything goes wrong, like if a light stays red for longer than normal, they won't be able to finish their delivery in time and will be punished.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Pluto being ruled as not a planet was fifteen or so years ago. The internet really needs to get over its collective grudge over it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Pluto being ruled as not a planet was fifteen or so years ago. The internet really needs to get over its collective grudge over it.

People who were mad at the time were buffoons. We had discovered that Pluto was much smaller than we thought it was when we declared it a planet, and multiple Pluto sized meteors.

The most debased freaks in the world are the "I loving love science!" people who were also mad about Pluto losing the planet status. Just the worst loving people in the world, no values, no thoughts, just absolute subhuman cretins.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Because it's a loving nightmare for the workers. Because it forces people to work long hours nonstop to reach the quotas that are necessary to make 24 hour delivery possible. Because 15 minute delivery for food or groceries sets workers up for failure because if literally anything goes wrong, like if a light stays red for longer than normal, they won't be able to finish their delivery in time and will be punished.

Oh, by "advertise" you mean "provide".

Instead of banning fast delivery, it would be better to just make companies pay people more by upping min wage.

Most of the poo poo that goes down in an amazon warehouse or pizza hut delivery would be more manageable if the person was getting paid $20/hour.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

This is precisely the kind of response I'd expect from someone who is concerned with personal spiritual development. "Other people suffering? Who cares! What matters is my personal convenience! Me me me! People can work in subhuman working conditions as long as they are paid, let the market decide!"

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

OnlyBans posted:

This is precisely the kind of response I'd expect from someone who is concerned with personal spiritual development. "Other people suffering? Who cares! What matters is my personal convenience! Me me me! People can work in subhuman working conditions as long as they are paid, let the market decide!"

What?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Gripweed posted:

People who were mad at the time were buffoons. We had discovered that Pluto was much smaller than we thought it was when we declared it a planet, and multiple Pluto sized meteors.

The most debased freaks in the world are the "I loving love science!" people who were also mad about Pluto losing the planet status. Just the worst loving people in the world, no values, no thoughts, just absolute subhuman cretins.

It's bizarre how much they act like the scientist(s) involved with changing Pluto's classification killed their mom or something. There's no question that it's a big change over how most of us probably learned about the "nine planets", but it's not that big of a deal.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Gripweed posted:

It sounds to me like you're focusing on the wrong thing. The problem here isn't the concept of rapid delivery itself, it's the exploitation of low-wage workers by overworking them and setting them up to fail.

e: It's like banning shoes because shoes are made by exploited workers overseas. The shoes themselves are not the issue.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Oh, by "advertise" you mean "provide".

Instead of banning fast delivery, it would be better to just make companies pay people more by upping min wage.

Most of the poo poo that goes down in an amazon warehouse or pizza hut delivery would be more manageable if the person was getting paid $20/hour.

Powered Descent posted:

It sounds to me like you're focusing on the wrong thing. The problem here isn't the concept of rapid delivery itself, it's the exploitation of low-wage workers by overworking them and setting them up to fail.

e: It's like banning shoes because shoes are made by exploited workers overseas. The shoes themselves are not the issue.

24 hour delivery is not a necessity like shoes. And there's no way to do it that isn't a nightmare for workers physically. And 15 minute grocery or food delivery is just impossible and that was obvious from the get go.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Gripweed posted:

24 hour delivery is not a necessity like shoes. And there's no way to do it that isn't a nightmare for workers physically. And 15 minute grocery or food delivery is just impossible and that was obvious from the get go.

For the most part, yeah I agree with you. One day delivery is an absurd service, it should be one of those things where it's a nice bonus if it happens to show up that day, because there was extra room on the truck or whatever.

If a person needs something in one day, they can just go to the store lol

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Powered Descent posted:

Yeah, but you can make shoes without exploiting workers. Guaranteeing 24 hour delivery? On the scale of Amazon? Not so much.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

I think OnlyBans occasionally pops along to say something inflamatory to get attention. Which is understandable, but can be a little tiring sometimes.

I agree on the "no 24 hour orders" on stuff. We don't need stuff that fast.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Okay. Let's go ahead and ban it. FedEx is out of business, as are all bicycle couriers. No one can get today's newspaper, only yesterday's, because it's illegal to get the fresh-printed papers to the newsstands or to subscribers' homes in a few hours. Amazon has added a 36-hour hold to its warehouse-delivery pipeline, and made no other changes. And of course, no one who's housebound can get medications from the pharmacy in less than two full days.

Hmm, we don't seem to have accomplished much in terms of easing worker exploitation. Maybe we're going about this the wrong way.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Powered Descent posted:

Okay. Let's go ahead and ban it. FedEx is out of business, as are all bicycle couriers. No one can get today's newspaper, only yesterday's, because it's illegal to get the fresh-printed papers to the newsstands or to subscribers' homes in a few hours. Amazon has added a 36-hour hold to its warehouse-delivery pipeline, and made no other changes. And of course, no one who's housebound can get medications from the pharmacy in less than two full days.

Hmm, we don't seem to have accomplished much in terms of easing worker exploitation. Maybe we're going about this the wrong way.

It's hard to take your argument seriously when you lead off with a plea for the bicycle courier industry. That's only going to be an effective emotional appeal to people who are themselves bicycle couriers and people who are big fans of the movie Premium Rush. Which is not a big demographic.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
What about all the other stuff they said that made your idea look dumb?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Powered Descent posted:

I feel like you're missing the point. There's no problem with a steady supply chain that brings food and newspapers to stores every day or delivers medicines to those who need it. The problem is that online retailers have created a demand for near-instant delivery for the least necessary things, which is just not something you'd expect to have a decade or so ago. I'm not going to pretend I'm innocent here - it's nice ordering a new DVD and then getting to watch it the next day - but for most online retailers I don't think speedy delivery is particularly necessary.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I like this discussion. Usually the Goon Theory of Economics is that the cost for a company to produce something or to provide a service is zero or near zero, and the only reason why customers have to pay anything for the product or service is because of profit.

Nationalizing the economy (except the law enforcement function, I guess) would eliminate profit and we would then be living in a post-scarcity economy, at least according to the dominant Goon Economic Theory.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 19:26 on Oct 15, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Captain Monkey posted:

What about all the other stuff they said that made your idea look dumb?

The only good point they raised was about medicine. OK, there's an exception in the law for medicine.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

I wish most online stores had an option for "hella slow but cheap" delivery. Most stuff I order online I don't care if it arrives this month or not, and I really don't wanna pay $30 shipping on a $60 item that will get here in 5-7 business days. Lemme spend $5 to get it here in 5-7 weeks. It'll be more fun too, since I'll have forgotten about it and be pleasantly surprised when it eventually shows up.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Gripweed posted:

It's hard to take your argument seriously when you lead off with a plea for the bicycle courier industry. That's only going to be an effective emotional appeal to people who are themselves bicycle couriers and people who are big fans of the movie Premium Rush. Which is not a big demographic.

Here, I'll just restate my point directly, without using examples of any sort that might distract you: Many different industries have been doing same-day and next-day delivery for well over a century now, and it makes no sense to ban the entire practice because a few big tech companies have invented a more exploitative form of it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Powered Descent posted:

Here, I'll just restate my point directly, without using examples of any sort that might distract you: Many different industries have been doing same-day and next-day delivery for well over a century now, and it makes no sense to ban the entire practice because a few big tech companies have invented a more exploitative form of it.

Nope. Sorry, they ruined it for everyone.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
IMO it might make more sense to try to directly apply new regulations to working conditions than to try to indirectly improve workers conditions by banning 2 day delivery

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

silence_kit posted:

IMO it might make more sense to try to directly apply new regulations to working conditions than to try to indirectly improve workers conditions by banning 2 day delivery

Exactly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

My take: it’s time to demote Neptune and Earth as planets and reinstate the Sun and Moon. Uranus can stay because it’s technically visible to the naked eye, even though it wasn’t discovered till the telescopic era.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Uranus should be renamed to Myanus.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Seems pretty obvious it was the retail industry being talked about this all reeks of pedantry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

christmas boots posted:

Seems pretty obvious it was the retail industry being talked about this all reeks of pedantry

On Something Awful! Surely not!

Also, autumn is beautiful but I wish it was colder.