Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Snake Maze posted:

Shiren 5 is on steam, it’s the newest one and rescues are cross platform and cross region so it’s still pretty active.

Oh! For some reason I thought that series was a Nintendo Thing and wouldn't be on Steam. Thanks, wishlisted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

ive never been able to get into cogmind despite rave reviews because it just seems too harsh to be fun. there's no learning curve

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

juggalo baby coffin posted:

ive never been able to get into cogmind despite rave reviews because it just seems too harsh to be fun. there's no learning curve

Part of it is because the game needs to make it clearer that new players should treat it more like Sil than Crawl. Most of the time, a new player wants to spend the early game avoiding danger and going to new levels.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Thirsty Dog posted:

Part of it is because the game needs to make it clearer that new players should treat it more like Sil than Crawl. Most of the time, a new player wants to spend the early game avoiding danger and going to new levels.

its definitely a big issue i ran into bc i wasnt sure if i was meant to be clearing every level and salvaging everything possible or going onwards. a lot of roguelikes you end up super outlevelled if you just rush the exits so i never know what to do

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
The dev has a video on how to survive the beginning of the game on their youtube channel. It's a little out of date I think but I found it very helpful.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Thirsty Dog posted:

That is such a good comparison and I don't know why it didn't occur to me. What part of Sil gets the 'world is dangerous, be careful' idea through? Maybe because you can fullexplore the first few levels that lingering doesn't punish, and so the player is already comfortable in their role and so when midgame arrives they instinctively know to bail on poo poo levels? Maybe because stairs are freely available so rerolling is a thing?

I'm gonna think about that a bit.

edit:

SavageMessiah posted:

The dev has a video on how to survive the beginning of the game on their youtube channel. It's a little out of date I think but I found it very helpful.
His videos are informative, but overlong imo. There's about 16 hours of a completed stream to sort through to figure out how he entered a certain stage in such good condition. Someone needs to do a 10 minute version for the first few levels, rattling their mouth off.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 12, 2021

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Tann posted:

Slice & Dice is coming to ios... one day! Building for ios is a pain with no mac so I'm working on some other bits first.

Oh sweet, didn't know it was goon-made. Add me to the list of people super stoked for an ios version.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Framboise posted:

I died, mostly because I ran out of mana potions, but drat it if this wasn't the most absurd run I've had so far. Ghostfire + Nightmare Aura(Fever Dreams) + Death Gaze gets really stupid really fast.

:hmmyes:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Kvlt! posted:

Is it a good game for "pop in real quick and play a little bit"? I like RLs because you generally can just play for a run without having to worry about where you left off last time, but there's a story mode?

You should try Pawnbarian, it's like a pretty simple, loosely chess-based tile-puzzle roguelike that you can do a run of in 15 minutes or less.

I like it. The simplicity hides a pretty deeply strategic game actually

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Serephina posted:

His videos are informative, but overlong imo. There's about 16 hours of a completed stream to sort through to figure out how he entered a certain stage in such good condition. Someone needs to do a 10 minute version for the first few levels, rattling their mouth off.

No argument there. I actually haven't watched the intro one in its entirety. Just the first half or so was enough to at least introduce the basic ideas of how the hell to play the game. It could absolutely have been conveyed much more efficiently.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Repeating myself

Problem: cogmind is bad

Solution: rpglike mode

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

ExiledTinkerer posted:

To keep the theme running, Circadian Dice landed yet another stealthy update just recently~

https://shuffleup.itch.io/circadian-dice/devlog/302343/version-2049

2.0.4:

-Maximum screenshake is now capped.

game ruined

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Play posted:

You should try Pawnbarian, it's like a pretty simple, loosely chess-based tile-puzzle roguelike that you can do a run of in 15 minutes or less.

I like it. The simplicity hides a pretty deeply strategic game actually

I did like the mechanics in the demo, seemed like a nice coffee break game along the lines of Hoplite or something.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

bees x1000 posted:

Repeating myself

Problem: cogmind is bad

Solution: rpglike mode

can confirm, finally tried it, it worked.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

can you play Rift Wizard with just a mouse? Or is it keyboard only?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Kvlt! posted:

can you play Rift Wizard with just a mouse? Or is it keyboard only?

You can play it with just a mouse (I do for movement because my daily keyboard doesn't have a numpad), but you have to click each spell each time and that's pretty tedious. Having at least numbers for your spells makes the game way more convenient to play.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
rift wizard seems to actually demand you play with a mouse and keyboard, left hand hitting the numbers item effects, right hand aiming and mousing over things. It's the first roguelike I've played that is so overwhelmingly geared towards the mouse that isn't trying to be an accessible, entry-level player's first roguelike.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Ultimate ADOM's first post-release update now live:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1266820/view/2994322669715965548

-Racial Equivalence with ADOM of old---though the Mist Elf description blurb is a bit strangely worded as that definitely wasn't quite how their distinctions played out?
-Some better* balancing/summons actually function/progression/QoL/myriad fixes

Not seeing any Surprises to address the core of the game, so I guess the next big update that actually moves the future forward on it is where all hopes rest vs what would've/should've otherwise been a solid sort of EA update as this at least satisfies a fair slice of the pre- Mysterious Happening dev roadmap.

Jupiter Hell thus far bolstering more confidence still on the v1.0+ road ahead if you stack the updates shoulder to shoulder.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Impermanent posted:

rift wizard seems to actually demand you play with a mouse and keyboard, left hand hitting the numbers item effects, right hand aiming and mousing over things. It's the first roguelike I've played that is so overwhelmingly geared towards the mouse that isn't trying to be an accessible, entry-level player's first roguelike.

You could theoretically get away with some kind of targeting thing crawl style, and there's (usually) not that big an enemy variety to worry about, but it's really really helpful.

I personally use 0-9 for spells, manually click items, and use vi keys to move around in combat (yeah I'm old so what :corsair:). After I clear the level though I click tiles to auto-path around and pick up items and check out the rifts.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Impermanent posted:

It's how I prefer to play. Left hand for menus, right hand for movement and targeting.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://twitter.com/panstasz/status/1448704788808470528

world of horror is dope as hell but the dev was radio silent for a long time, but from what i'd heard there had been news from friends of his that he was okay but dealing with moving stuff and maybe some issues related to that along with just being prone to going silent on social media for long stretches of time. sounds like we'll maybe be getting some more news about the game and hopefully he's in a better spot.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Lost my Brawler lvl 32 to a loving 200 MIND DAMAGE MULTI TURN DOT FORM A WHITE BLOATED HORROR.

Never playing TOME4 again gently caress this poo poo.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

i wish I could like tome, there's parts I love, but then the arpg gearing is so inscrutable and everytime I start over is like 45 minutes of the same stuff I've done with very far and few between notable points (odd boss, random interesting loot)

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Johnny Joestar posted:

https://twitter.com/panstasz/status/1448704788808470528

world of horror is dope as hell but the dev was radio silent for a long time, but from what i'd heard there had been news from friends of his that he was okay but dealing with moving stuff and maybe some issues related to that along with just being prone to going silent on social media for long stretches of time. sounds like we'll maybe be getting some more news about the game and hopefully he's in a better spot.

I've not heard anything about this but I really like the aesthetic--is this out in some playable format already?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

A Strange Aeon posted:

I've not heard anything about this but I really like the aesthetic--is this out in some playable format already?

oh, yeah, world of horror has existed for a bit

https://store.steampowered.com/app/913740/WORLD_OF_HORROR/

it's basically like a sorta procgen junji ito rpg thing where you're managing your resources while solving mysteries and it NAILS the aesthetic really well. ignore the 'mixed' recent reviews, it's idiots just saying the dev abandoned the game and giving it negative feedback because of that.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
World of Horror owns. I barely understand the mechanics but it's cool as hell regardless. I did manage to beat once, not sure how I did it...

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I loved how it looked but that game was really confusing to me and it turned me off. Didn't love the look enough to look up what the hell was supposed to be going on

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
World of horror is neat, I 100%'ed it when it came out, but all the cases are kinda static, so there isn't much variation between each run other than the random encounters.
Honestly, I'm not sure I'd call it a roguelike.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
World of Horror's mechanics are extremely thin and basic and there's very little reason to replay it once you've seen all the cases because there's only a couple solutions to each one. It's not really the kind of game you play because the gameplay is good, you play it for the stories and the aesthetic.

This isn't a huge criticism of the game, since I like it a fair bit, it's just that I fully agree with it not really being a roguelike in the way most people who post here think of roguelikes.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Kanos posted:

World of Horror's mechanics are extremely thin and basic and there's very little reason to replay it once you've seen all the cases because there's only a couple solutions to each one. It's not really the kind of game you play because the gameplay is good, you play it for the stories and the aesthetic.

This isn't a huge criticism of the game, since I like it a fair bit, it's just that I fully agree with it not really being a roguelike in the way most people who post here think of roguelikes.

You unlock some new stuff by getting different endings and fulfilling some challenging conditions, so there's some replayability.

I heard it described as the boardgame Arkham Horror with Junji Ito skin and it kinda fits very well.

It's a good game, even in current state. The esthetic alone is dope as hell and worth the money.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I'm hoping badly that a modding community springs up around it

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

grate deceiver posted:

You unlock some new stuff by getting different endings and fulfilling some challenging conditions, so there's some replayability.

I heard it described as the boardgame Arkham Horror with Junji Ito skin and it kinda fits very well.

It's a good game, even in current state. The esthetic alone is dope as hell and worth the money.

I rarely buy EA but this might do it

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Yeah World of Horror is very reminiscent of Junji Ito AH, right down the winning strategies often involving knowing what bad things are likely to happen ahead of time. I got to a point where I could semi-reliably beat it on the normal difficulty by the time I completed most of the existing content, I'm glad to hear it's still going. It's pretty basic but seeing all the endings is fun.

If I had one complaint about, it'd be the metaprogression that locks useful city locations behind achievements. If you're going to play it I advise looking up how to unlock them, some of them either make your life easier or are basically necessary for certain endings, or both.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't really know where else to post about it, to be honest. i feel it has just enough of a roguelike-ish structure in how you're managing resources within a randomized event structure to be worth a mention here. it skews pretty heavy on the story presentation and does a really good job of setting the mood, so if you're fine with that in what's straight up the best junji ito game on the market then i highly rec checking it out if it seems interesting enough. if i catch further posts about updates then i'll try to remember to put them here, if the dev is finally back from whatever ordeal they were wrapped up in.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
So I got the "I want to play D&D" itch and I was waiting for Baldur's Gate III to finish updating so I decided to boot up Dungeonmans. Four hours later it's midnight and all I know is that I made my Battle Chicken very happy. The game has aged like a fine wine and it really felt refreshing to play again after a long hiatus. Hell, I haven't even used the Pay to Lose DLC options yet. I think I'll save that option for my next run.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
The best roguelike that's comfortably played with only a mouse (or laptop touchpad) is Urtuk. You don't need a keyboard at all.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Walh Hara posted:

The best roguelike that's comfortably played with only a mouse (or laptop touchpad) is Urtuk. You don't need a keyboard at all.

This has been sitting in my wishlist for a while now. Any impressions on it besides that? The trailers etc. make it look a lot like Battle Brothers, which I liked a bunch (although it got hard as hell on ironman and felt like luck played a big part).

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Dropbear posted:

This has been sitting in my wishlist for a while now. Any impressions on it besides that? The trailers etc. make it look a lot like Battle Brothers, which I liked a bunch (although it got hard as hell on ironman and felt like luck played a big part).

Oh it's really great. I have 130 hours in it so far, which is less than battle brothers got me (197 hours) but still in my top 10.

Things urtuk does better than battle brothers:
- Combat is extremely well designed and has pretty much no RNG. At first glance it's pretty simple, but the interaction between the stamina system, the focus system, the crit system, and the traits give you plenty to think about.
- Unit and enemy variety is pretty good, especially since all factions are playable. To be honest, it goes a bit "oh wow, so many races" to "hmm, it's just the same unit types but with different traits" to "wow, they do play really different and these traits make a huge difference".
- The trait system really gives you tons of options in how to build your fighters.
- The injury system is perfect to get people to play ironman.
- The user interface is incredible. I play it on a laptop with just a touchpad.

Things battle brothers does better than Urtuk:
- The world map stuff is very minimal in Urtuk, there's no economy to speak off and it's just not that great.
- The loot in urtuk is pretty meh.
- In Urtuk you often end up using the same units every fight, occasionally rotating one or two. The (lack of) recruiting system is not that great in Urtuk.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I’m liking despot game so far (more than Gladiator Guild Manager the other autobattler that dropped on the same day) but I feel like it’s missing something.

Instead of having set characters you just get generic humans who you equip items on to become units. The problem for me is I don’t think the items have any abilities or ultimates besides stats so you’re missing the funnest part of composing a team. To make up for this you get to acquire a bunch of passives but I haven’t seen any good enough to give a team some identity yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Golden Krone Hotel just a new update. There's a few new possible side branches, some balance tweaks, and a bunch more possible opening floors. I thought the game was basically done, so it's nice to see it getting a bit of love.