Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

I've been double vaxed with Pfizer since the end of March. I just took a sip of Dr. Pepper and tasted nothing. I'm going to do a taste test and report back later if I'm still alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Got my yearly physical this week. I got my flu shot. Nurse said wait 14 days before the COVID booster my doctor said I should get...

CDC says don't worry worry about it.

I was able to sign up for 3rd Pfizer legally through dillons here.. also Kroger and several other names around the country.

I filled it out online. First question was are you immunocompromised. I marked it no.

Then it popped up a second box asking if you're at risk "view CDC guidelines"

Marked that yes, gave then my insurance info, doctor info, and when I had been vaxxed previously and what not.

Doctor said I wasn't really at a huge risk but get one because fat. And he said I really really don't want to get it. That fits the CDC guidelines.

I'm getting my third Booster at Dillons in 10 days.

Walgreens refused to boost me if I wasn't immunocompromised and I had to tell them I was and sign a form? Uhh okay.

They are literally across the street from each other.

I said I had a flu shot this week and they said no problem. gently caress Walgreens I guess?

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 15, 2021

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Here in engerland, a council worker I know is isolating after her son tested positive. But since the govt says you don't need to isolate if double vacced she has to take unpaid leave (or use hols, but none left). Nice way for the council to save a few bucks, if your staff don't want to take the risk of spreading covid around.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Supposedly case rates are declining in my WA county but we also have a naval shipyard that’s about to fire a bunch of CHUDs so I expect those numbers to tick back up in the winter of mass chud gatherings.

Bought myself a full on Bane style respirator finally too.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
So I’m planning on seeing my mom in NY for Xmas and I’m double Pfizer vaxxed and I’m worried about the following:

- my proof, which is the EU certificate, is a QR code on my phone. Will there be any issues showing when needed to others, like lack of compatibility…? I’m a US/Sweden dual citizen, so I’m not worried about travel, but like, going to a restaurant. I don’t want someone calling fake on my very real proof and as a brown lady, I’m not inclined to trust that I’ll be seen in the fairest of lights (hah)

- I’m toying with the idea of getting a booster in NY, as jfc if I can I think I should. Is it something I just go into CVS or wherever and do?

- anything else to worry about? Obviously I’m going to mask where deemed appropriate and necessary, but I want to make sure I’m not overlooking anything. Plus, I have the time to actually plan so, I should.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

teen witch posted:

So I’m planning on seeing my mom in NY for Xmas and I’m double Pfizer vaxxed and I’m worried about the following:

- my proof, which is the EU certificate, is a QR code on my phone. Will there be any issues showing when needed to others, like lack of compatibility…? I’m a US/Sweden dual citizen, so I’m not worried about travel, but like, going to a restaurant. I don’t want someone calling fake on my very real proof and as a brown lady, I’m not inclined to trust that I’ll be seen in the fairest of lights (hah)

- I’m toying with the idea of getting a booster in NY, as jfc if I can I think I should. Is it something I just go into CVS or wherever and do?

- anything else to worry about? Obviously I’m going to mask where deemed appropriate and necessary, but I want to make sure I’m not overlooking anything. Plus, I have the time to actually plan so, I should.

No one on the US side will ask for proof of vaccination.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

what

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Wasn’t there a news story just recently about a Texas family making a huge deal about being asked to prove vaccination at a New York restaurant? I think that dude might be misinformed

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol so I was banned from entering the US for 18 months, despite my country always having less than 10% the COVID rate of the US. And now, nobody's even gonna look at my lovely QR COVID app? Weak

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

I should preface it to say that I don't live in NYC and it's probable that they are stricter about it. Either way with how much international travel there is I doubt you'll have a problem. It won't be the first time a restaurant in NYC has seen a European proof of vaccination.

Stanley Tucheetos fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Oct 15, 2021

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

I should preface it to say that I don't live in NYC and it's possoble that they are stricter about it. Either way with how much international travel there is I doubt you'll have a problem. It won't be the first time a restaurant in NYC has seen a European proof of vaccination.

I won’t be in NYC for most of the time, maybe a day or two, I’ll mostly be on *sigh* Long Island.

I just don’t want to deal with someone trying to pull some nonsense with me.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

What's the situation like with public transit right now? Is public transit still running? Does anyone have any experience with it and how bad the unmasking issue is? Any numbers on how bad Delta spreads in close quarters?

I feel like it's a horrible idea but it must surely still be going, right? I couldn't find much on Google about it aside from stuff from last year when Delta wasn't a concern.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

teen witch posted:

I won’t be in NYC for most of the time, maybe a day or two, I’ll mostly be on *sigh* Long Island.

I just don’t want to deal with someone trying to pull some nonsense with me.

Also going to *sigh* LI from Europe to visit family, but for Thanksgiving. I'll let you know if I get hassled (Although I am a tall cishet male aged 18-49 so unlikely).

Also, if I get COVID I will try to post updates here for goons to laugh at until I get intubated

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

teen witch posted:

lol

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

teen witch posted:

^^^this guy is wrong.

I work in NYC and places do definitely ask to see vaccination status. They are usually cool with just showing a photo of your card on your phone. I haven't run into a place that wants to see it on an app, although truth be told I have not been to that many places to begin with. But again, places DO ask for proof.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

It sounds like if teen witch’s vax proof is a QR code that the main problem is going to be that nowhere in the US will have the scanners to read it as that’s not how they are running things.
Can you go old tech and take a physical copy of the vax cert with you?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Helith posted:

It sounds like if teenage witch’s vax proof is a QR code that the main problem is going to be that nowhere in the US will have the scanners to read it as that’s not how they are running things.
Can you go old tech and take a physical copy of the vax cert with you?

That was plan b….

…except that it’s entirely in Swedish.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wendigee posted:

Walgreens refused to boost me if I wasn't immunocompromised and I had to tell them I was and sign a form? Uhh okay.

They are literally across the street from each other.

Did you get Moderna?

Third shots for immunocompromised persons are approved for Moderna.

The booster is legally a different thing and only officially available for Pfizer vaccinees at this moment.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
They should at least be able to make out a date and a vaccine name though, right?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

teen witch posted:

That was plan b….

…except that it’s entirely in Swedish.

Is there any info/guidance from the Swedish government about using your vax certificate abroad? Long shot but do they provide the cert in English?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Beartaco posted:

They should at least be able to make out a date and a vaccine name though, right?

Vaccine yes, date - questionable as its not in mm/dd/yy format. Normally I’d think someone could suss it but as someone born and raised on Long Island I know drat well not to assume that much.

Helith posted:

Is there any info/guidance from the Swedish government about using your vax certificate abroad? Long shot but do they provide the cert in English?

Actually, seeing if I can get paper proof in English might be something looking into. I know there’s guidance on traveling but it’s kinda “well, this is what you have good luck outside of the EU”

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tiny Myers posted:

What's the situation like with public transit right now? Is public transit still running? Does anyone have any experience with it and how bad the unmasking issue is? Any numbers on how bad Delta spreads in close quarters?

I feel like it's a horrible idea but it must surely still be going, right? I couldn't find much on Google about it aside from stuff from last year when Delta wasn't a concern.

You're going to have to be a *lot* more specific - I can say that in London the tube is pretty much to pre-pandemic travel levels and maybe 1 in 3 don't wear a mask, but the crowding gets much better (but mask compliance much worse) past 0930 (which is loving ridiculous, it shows that all the companies going back to work are still insisting that everyone get in at 0900 on the dot, which was insane even before the pandemic), but that's not much use to you if you're thinking of taking the NY Metro, a Maltese bus, or the Lisbon Funicular.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

teen witch posted:

Vaccine yes, date - questionable as its not in mm/dd/yy format. Normally I’d think someone could suss it but as someone born and raised on Long Island I know drat well not to assume that much.

Actually, seeing if I can get paper proof in English might be something looking into. I know there’s guidance on traveling but it’s kinda “well, this is what you have good luck outside of the EU”

Let us know how you get on and hope it works out

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

When I flew to the states in August, they required a recent pcr test to board the plane, vax status was irrelevant. I was in Cali just before they started vax checks in restaurants but one bar had started early. My Swiss Covid cert supposedly works with the EU green pass but the guy's QR code reader at the bar didn't recognize it. I showed my swiss ID and got him to look at the app and he let me in. It was a slow night though and we were both tall white guys so probably not a 100% repeatable experiment.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
FDA advisory panel pretty much rubberstamped Moderna boosters with the exact same advise they gave for Pifzer boosters a few weeks back, if any Moderna crew are waiting for their 3rd jab

https://twitter.com/nprpolitics/status/1448730932303876098

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

FDA advisory panel pretty much rubberstamped Moderna boosters with the exact same advise they gave for Pifzer boosters a few weeks back, if any Moderna crew are waiting for their 3rd jab

Makes sense. Last winter we were told to get whatever shot was offered, it'd be truly hosed up to deny half the population a booster because of BRANDS.

(in this post I pretend J&J doesn't exist, just like the media does)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smoobles posted:

(in this post I pretend J&J doesn't exist, just like the immune system does)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

smoobles posted:

Makes sense. Last winter we were told to get whatever shot was offered, it'd be truly hosed up to deny half the population a booster because of BRANDS.

I agree, but I want to acknowledge that it’s rich that the advisory panel goes over the Pfizer’s data with a fine‐toothed comb, has to be overridden on the high risk category, then turns around and rubber stamps this one with weaker data.*

I don’t think that they’re biased against Pfizer or anything. I think that they hosed up by attempting to gatekeep the Pfizer shots, and now their eyes are open to the error of their ways.

*“Weaker” isn’t bad on the whole. It means that their primary series is holding up better, and that’s great. What it does mean is that relative benefit of boosters is reduced. Still, they remain very worthwhile at this time in America.

naem
May 29, 2011

waiting until I’m at 6 months for #3 pfpfpfpff

right?? is that,

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

naem posted:

waiting until I’m at 6 months for #3 pfpfpfpff

right?? is that,

are you having an adverse vaccine reaction right now

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Literally no adverse reactions on day two from my flu shot/Covid booster adventure. My arm hurts like a mother fucker but that could have been exacerbated by me getting them both in the exact same spot basically? Not bad all things considered. Wouldn't you know it though I was "really feeling under the weather" so I put in for some PSL today. God bless my company's insanely generous pto/PSL policy lol

naem
May 29, 2011

smoobles posted:

are you having an adverse vaccine reaction right now

just an adverse reaction to the dysfunctional world we live here n

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

This means my wife and I should be able to get our Moderna boost at the start of November, which sounds pretty good to me.

I'm hopeful we don't see another fall surge but who the hell knows.

Anecdotally, a LOT of unvaccinated people around me have been getting wrecked over the last 6 weeks or so, beyond anything I've seen yet. That's why I'm hopeful that the fall surge actually was a late summer surge as people effectively removed all restrictions around them, had huge parties, etc.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Probably gonna wait until I go on Thanksgiving break to get my moderna booster. I had a sprinkler system blowout, called in, hit the "you're in trouble," number of points and after my 2nd shot I'd rather not risk it. Everyone i work with who got a booster had to go home mid-shift cuz they scheduled it for a work day since, "my second wasn't that bad." I'm eligible right now, but it's just really not feasible for a while. My lady gets her 3rd Pfizer on the 21st so fingers crossed whatever we're doing just keeps working for us.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So have the FDA booster advisors addressed the extreme edge case a few million people have of living with someone who has a transplant or is otherwise immunosuppressed (vs. just immunocompromised by illness)? All I see is a focus on preventing severe illness instead of minimizing chances of infection (which appears to be possible with boosters).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They don’t have any data for those specific cases and are constitutionally incapable of using common sense to extrapolate from what they do have.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Fallom posted:

So have the FDA booster advisors addressed the extreme edge case a few million people have of living with someone who has a transplant or is otherwise immunosuppressed (vs. just immunocompromised by illness)? All I see is a focus on preventing severe illness instead of minimizing chances of infection (which appears to be possible with boosters).

You can get boosted bc the qualifications for boosters are insanely loose.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

teen witch posted:

I wouldn't stress too much. If you can get something in English that's great but there's still some % chance they will be a dick about it being a non-standard-US-form no matter what.

I mean here anti-vaxxers are going to either:
A) Already have a fake certificate and the person checking won't be able to tell the difference.
B) Just want to scream at the staff so their friend recording it on their phone can post it to facebook.

No US anti-vaxxer has ever printed a fake non-english EU vax certificate. And especially if you're with someone who has a normal US vaxx cert they can probably assume you're not B.

I honestly hope you can get boosted before you come, though I have no idea what the situation is over there. I would definitely want to be Max Titer'd before setting foot in the US in the winter.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 15, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The last few weeks there's been a worrying trend in south west UK of people popping positive on the not-so-accurate lateral flow quick tests (often multiple times) but then turning up negative on the much-more-accurate PCR tests. There was a lot of chatter about a possible new variant which evaded PCR tests:

https://twitter.com/Kit_Yates_Maths/status/1445675278496239619

The UK health security agency said there was no evidence of a new variant and recommended that people should isolate if they got a negative PCR test but were symptomatic: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/oct/09/negative-pcr-test-covid-symptoms-self-isolate

It now turns out that the lab which was processing the PCR tests hosed up real bad:
https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1448923044219703300

Way back in January the lovely newsrag The Sun did a big expose on that facility showing footage of the workers rolling around fighting, playing soccer and getting drunk inside the lab
https://twitter.com/dgurdasani1/status/1448950737703219200

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The last few weeks there's been a worrying trend in south west UK of people popping positive on the not-so-accurate lateral flow quick tests (often multiple times) but then turning up negative on the much-more-accurate PCR tests. There was a lot of chatter about a possible new variant which evaded PCR tests:

It now turns out that the lab which was processing the PCR tests hosed up real bad:
https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1448923044219703300

That's a huge relief. Except for those 43k people of course.